Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Never done this before

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

Never done this before

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:40 pm

I've never done this whole "combat" thing before, but would really like to get into it. How does it work?

"RolePlayGateway is proudly powered by obscene amounts of caffeine, duct tape,..." <--Ever notice this at the bottom of the page?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Never done this before

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:44 pm

You basically describe what you do. Example: Harrison thrusted his hand into his opponent's jugular, then twisted, snapping neck veins. It's all about description.
"]Image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:50 pm

Ok. That sounds simple enough.

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJ3Mewtwo on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:54 pm

SSJ3Mewtwo
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:00 pm

Yes, there is more to it than what I said. But the guide only advises; it does not command. There are several different ways of RP figting. Including, but not limited to: attacks in a specific style, taunting, countering, and blocking. There is also shifting.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJ3Mewtwo on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:05 pm

What you advised at first was not even a guide though.

Saying "Harrison thrusted his hand into his opponent's jugular, then twisted, snapping neck veins. It's all about description." is woefully inadequate a primer for someone who's just started writing on the forum. At the very least he's been referenced to a resource that has a bit more detail contained in it.

SSJ3Mewtwo
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:19 pm

It was only a demonstration. Yes, the guide provides some guidance, but it doesn't even scratch the surface. That's all I'm saying.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:59 pm

One must learn to walk before they can run, the guide provides a basis to walk the path of text-based combat with an basic grasp of what is expected minimally.
The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse.
John Gardner

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightShade on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:37 pm

Can we not argue amongst ourselves, and simply explain to the poor member what fighting is? This is my attempt.

The "combat thing":

Essentially, fighting other users requires a character, which is of your creation. Your character can be anything; and I mean anything, so long as it is appropriate. You can be a human with superpowers, which is what most roleplayers use, but you can create your own species, which I find is a lot easier to tune to a particular battle strategy.

A good character alone doesn't make a fight though. It's the character that the user commands through the medium of writing (in this case, posting). How you fight should be based on your character's attributes and style, but in general, you want to kick the other character's butt. However, you cannot say that you automatically kill somebody, as that is against the rules, and is known as "god-modding"

If you want to know anything else, just let me know. I can help you learn the basics, if you wish.

TwilightShade
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:40 pm

That would be very helpfull if you wouldn't mind.

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightShade on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:51 pm

Well, you can start by specifying what you are confused about. Do you want to know the flow of a battle? Do you want to know how long to fight for? Be specific, or else I have to guess, and I am not good at guessing.

TwilightShade
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:21 pm

Let's start with the flow of battle and work our way from there.

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightShade on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:34 pm

Sure. In a properly run arena battle, the flow is designed so that no one character gains an edge on another. Sure, they may be more powerful in the metaverse that they exist in, but no advantages or disadvantages are granted to either player.

Each post is a response to the last, save for the first post, which begins the battle. Think of it as a river.

The character who gets the first strike will attack first, maybe move around to get into prime position. This is obviously the simplest point in the battle.

After the initial attack, the defending character must decide how they are going to avoid or block the attack, if they can do so at all. (It is strongly recommended, even required that roleplayers respect both the abilities of their character and the opponent's character.) If/when they do so, they can then counterattack, and/or move around. The first character then responds to that post in the same manner as the previous post, and so on.

To put it into context, I'll give you a short example with sentence long posts (not recommended). Offensive Actions are in red, Defensive Actions are blue, and Movement is green.
----------
Post 1:
Character A jumps forward and slashes his sword at character B's left shoulder.

Post 2:
To respond, character B jumps out of the way, and throws a fireball at character A's head.

Post 3:
Character A charges his sword with energy, and uses it to deflect the fireball away from himself. He then charges at character B, and attempts another slash.
-----------
I hope that helped you understand the flow of battle. If you have any questions on that, feel free to post in this thread, PM me, or hit me up on AIM (I'll add it if I didn't yet.)

If you have questions on anything else, let me know as well. I'd be glad to help.

TwilightShade
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:53 pm

That makes sense. Now how long should a fight last?

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightShade on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:04 pm

Depends on how long you want it to be, as well as how long your opponent wants it to be. Speed fighting should be done in an hour, while slower, longer posts should take a week to a month, in my opinion.

TwilightShade
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!