Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

New and VERY confused.

a topic in Welcome Desk: Introductions & Arrivals, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

First time on RPG? Make sure to introduce yourself here! Tell us what you're into, what you're looking for, and how you found us!

New and VERY confused.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Elsworth on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Hi there people..I was wondering, can anyone tell me how the whole roleplay tab works or whatever it is?

I don't know if I can just join, or what...or if there's something to do...Please help. :(

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Elsworth
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: New and VERY confused.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leif Cauldor on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:57 pm

Elsworth, Welcome to Roleplay Gateway!!!

I know that you are being helped by ViceVersus in the RT chat. But If you wish to take your time, Here is a link that will help you.

Role Players Guide.
I hope this helps and I hope you find something worth staying here. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to post them and someone will be more than happy to get back to you with an answer.
As babies, mustn't we learn to crawl before we walk? Then, why as adults do we speak before we think?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Leif Cauldor
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Woo! Hey, Elsworth! I've been talking to you a bit in the chat, and it looks like you're getting back and settled here at RolePlayGateway. I had a massive hiatus for at least a year since joining, and I have to say it's awesome to return to such a great community. Hopefully, you'll feel the same. You seem to be having fun talking with our users in the main OOC chat.

You had some questions about the chat system, and it looks like some questions on the tab system as a whole! Good thing is, I can help you out with that.

The new RolePlayGateway tab system is a bleeding-edge way to get your story organized, and out to the masses! Here's an (almost) brief summary of what it is, and what it does.

Let's take a look at my roleplay "Hey, Wizard!" for example.

At first glance, you'll see the Introduction page, along with the title, some synopsis information, and a series of tags. The GM of the roleplay is in charge of all of this. During the creation process, they give the RP an overarching title, and then add a sentence summary of what everything is going to be about. Everyone can add tags that are genre-specific, or user-specific. In the case of the example given, I added genre tags.

Right, now on to the actual, textual introduction. This is the first thing that people see when they drop by one's roleplay. It has to be visually appealing, and in some cases you'll find that users put images in there. It's where some background of the story takes place (keep scrolling down) and there's a section for Rules, which I haven't added.

If you scroll back up to the top, you'll see a Reviews tab. That's where moderators and mentors can add a standardized review of the RP, based on a scale of 1-30. They can also add a block of text further delving into what made them decide one way or another.

The Characters tab (directly to the right) is what you're going to be the most interested in now at this point however. That's where you join a roleplay. You need to submit a character to be counted in, and allowed to post in the tab's Activity page, which we'll get to later.

If there are already characters joined up in the roleplay, you'll see them displayed here with their fancy 100x100 avatars. There is a difference between number of characters displayed, and number of characters accepted. At some point, the tab will stop displaying character avatars, but you can accept as many characters as you like. The reason for that is that some RPs (like the Multiverse, for example) have literally thousands upon thousands of characters. If you had to load each and every avatar whenever you went to submit a character, your browser would collapse immediately. This way, there's a nice cap kept on things, even if you can't see all the characters on that front page.

The actual character submission page is rather straightforward. Fill out name, history, characteristics, that sort of thing. Hit submit when you're ready!

Once that's done, the GM of the roleplay will get a notification, and then they will either reject or approve your submission.

Places is a neat feature of the RP tab. It allows you to partition and really create your worlds with locations and settings customized to you! For my roleplay, it really fleshes out the feel of the world that's there in Cedar Springs, Washington. Posts happen within those locations.

Groups and Events are being worked on ..

Activity! That's where all the posting magic happens. It's like the forums except activity goes from the bottom up instead of top down, and yeah. The design team are working on that, still. Haha. You can choose the location that your post is happening in, and be careful because as of right now you cannot edit it.

The chat! The chat has its own guide entirely. Check out the guide here! It's colorful, and helpful, hopefully.

Posting is the same as Activity, and OOC is, well, OOC. It links you out to the off-topic chatter.

Hope that helps!

If you have any more questions, be sure to let me know!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Elsworth on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:16 pm

Thank you VERY much ViceVersus.

Elsworth
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Moonscar on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:07 am

Hey-o!

Wow. Seeing as Vice, or Satopotato, has unleashed onto you that astonishing amount of useful information, I think you're all set. With that said and done...welcome to Gateway! Hope you find out you like it here! Leif threw out a good link there, too, though Vice works just as well. ;D
Joking aside, we're always here to help. Just drop us a PM and we'll do our best to help!

Oh, oh! Before I forget! If you haven't read the rules then you should! That's really something you should check out!

-Moony
"'I'm bored' is a useless thing to say. You live in a great, big, vast world that you've seen none percent of. And even the inside of your own mind is endless. It goes on forever inwardly. Do you understand? Being the fact that you're alive is amazing, so you don't get to be bored."

-Louis CK

Moonscar
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Cult Leader Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Elsworth on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:29 am

I find it odd that I've been ehre for two years and I'm just getting into it.

Elsworth
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dsar on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks vice for the information. It really helped me out.

Dsar
Member for 13 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!