Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Not Your Average Heroes (IC)

a topic in Futuristic Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in the future of any sort, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Not Your Average Heroes (IC)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby saranm on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:06 pm

Ch.1
No Justice, Just us.

When we live, it's like sending a message, mainly saying 'fuck you death, I'm not ready to go' but it also provides a certain warmness, a reason for others to live as well.

-Charles C. Mbutu

Kaden sat. As he had been doing all day, sitting in a simple wooden chair, that creaked whenever he breathed and seemed to strain to hold up his weight. It wasn't that he didn't have a choice, or that he necessarily wanted to, but doing absolutely nothing all day was something that cooled his nerves. It was winter, but not a single shiver was sent up the giants spine, when it wasn't snowing like today, he even liked to keep the window open. Yet another strange habit of the strange Kaden.

Finally, his phone rang, it was something that looked like it was a few years out-dated, with paint chipped off and the screen on the front about ready to fall off. He opened the phone and stood up, releasing a relieved creak from the chair. The man on the other line spoke loudly, so much so that Kaden had to hold the phone arms length away to hear him properly. He responded with a few simple "mmm-hmm's" and closed the phone, heading over to his computer. The giant of a man clicked a few times to access an email account and printed off two sheets of paper. The first sheet held a picture of a small, seemingly Asian woman, and the other contained details about the woman herself.

"Komi"

That was all he read, he would read the rest when he got his partner rounded up. He picked up the old phone again and scanned through the internal phonebook, pressing call when he finally hit the name "Ding." He waited for an answer, tapping a foot and whispering to himself "C'mon Belle... C'mon." But, he would never known that this would eventually turn into something much bigger than him and his parnter.
"Sad, terribly sad" said the reader to the writer, "one of the characters in my book died." The writer smiled "I know the feeling, so did mine."

The lifespan of Kirant: Image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

saranm
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Not Your Average Heroes (IC)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Lord of Hats on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:30 pm

Komi was working late this evening. Not that there was anything particularly unusual about that. In the few weeks in which she'd been an active member of the Tauros Corporation's Board of Directors, she'd worked late every evening. Certainly her considerable output matched with the time she'd been putting in. Sure, there had been some grumbles amongst the old guard when she'd joined on, but they had subsided quickly enough. You can't argue with results, after all.

She sipped a small cup of espresso as she watched the programs she had written process their data inputs. It was simple enough, really. Truth be told, this was distinctly slower than just doing it by hand, but her calculations gave her a few hours at best to wrap up her preparations. She knew that as things currently stood, the systems she already had in place would work. She had the stock market's future course sufficiently mapped to last a year, with general trends reaching out for five. She'd even included calculated for incomplete information. Her teleconference simulations were ready. Even so, it was all about the little details. No true artist would allow their work to go unfinished.

Not that she was an artist, she mused. Lifting herself from her chair, she stood and stared out the window of the office-building penthouse. Only twenty stories tall, the rented space was nevertheless afforded an impressive view from its sheer, mirrored windows. She sipped her espresso once more. It was her own brew; nobody else could prepare it quite right. The potency in that small cup was enough to keep somebody wired for two days. She never did stay up that long. Meditation techniques, properly applied, did wonders for one's control of their own body.

She glanced at her watch, despite already knowing fully well what time it was. She turned back to her computer, sitting just in time to watch the data all cease at precisely the same time. There. She was prepared, except for that most mundane step. She picked up a phone from her desk, and punched in a number. She waited for the answering machine to kick in.

"Dave, this is Komi. I've been overworking myself these past few weeks. You know, new position, have to impress... I just need a change of scenery for a while. I'm heading out to the tropics for a couple weeks. I'll be around to teleconference, and I'll keep at it, of course. I just need to allow the city to get out of my head, you know? You've got my number, so if anything comes up, you know what to do. Ciao."

She hung up the phone. She didn't bother to check that the large screens dominating the walls of her office were ready. She did not make mistakes. Her mental checklist ran one final time on Conscious Sub-Level Theta, largely out of force of habit. It was, of course, complete. Downing the cup of coffee, feeling its warmth run through her body, she opened a few incomplete files to give the illusion of work. Considering for a moment, she opened minesweeper, its settings turned far beyond what was possible to solve through the puzzle itself. She made the first click. An 8. She began to run the code through her head, determining the exact layout of the puzzle.

After all, she needed some way to pass the time.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

The Lord of Hats
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ceur'Caelesetos on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:10 am

I whistled a light tune while walking down a dark alleyway in the city. I could hear the scuffling of feet coming behind and in-front of me. I swung my purse around in a light loop as I continued to whistle. I took a curious glance over my shoulder and saw two grown men. Turning my head back facing in front of me, I noticed another two men walking in front of me. I began to walk faster as if I was worried, afraid, and needed to get out of there.

It was a ruse to keep the men thinking it was only a normal thievery, rape, or murder. Which ever they were wanting. Of course tonight they would be finding out that thieves, rapists, and murders' are not welcome in this city. That is if we let then live after we teach them this fact.

I concentrated on the roof top where Aeoni was waiting. The big coat I was wearing over my company suit and gear would make this jump a little tricky. It was also a long distance because I had missed the right rooftop when I jumped us here. By the time I was sure I would be accurate, the men had surrounded me. They said things I couldn't hear because my concentration was entirely devoted to my jump. So I glanced up and flicked my fingers.

The sonic boom of my jump probably scared the snot out of them. Course I have never heard my jump noise since I always reappear after it has sounded. In what felt like a hairsbreadth of time I was suddenly beside Aeoni on the rooftop. "Got 'em stunned lets go."

Ceur'Caelesetos
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orrin55 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:25 am

Patience Aeoni fingered the triggers on his revolvers as he watched Jenna literally strut down the alleyway, her bag swinging in a light loop. One second....Two seconds....Hell... They were close enough, the sonic boom she trigged had one roaring in pain and the rest clutching ears as they dealt with the shellshock.

"Got 'em stunned" Jenna said, "Lets go"

"They got guns" He replied, "Three got earplugs and the forth left his behind." The revolvers spun in his hands like sawblades and he dropped down landing with a small Oof As his legs absorbed the impact. One blink, and ten shots later the thugs were down, each one sporting a bruise the size of an egg on his forehead. "Tch, rubber bullets and they still get bone bruised" He looked over at Jenna and grinned "We've cleared the streets of these thugs Jen, let's book 'em and enjoy a nice meal, i'm buying."

Orrin55
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ceur'Caelesetos on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:42 am

I watched as he ran down and off the short roof to the alleyway below. I rolled my eyes. Show off. I thought to myself before I threw off my coat. Then after I heard the last gunshot, I walked and climbed my way down from the roof. Once on the ground, I walked up to Aeoni, kicking one of the thugs along the way hard in the ribs.

"Tch, rubber bullets and they still get bone bruised." Aeoni looked over at me and grinned "We've cleared the streets of these thugs. Jen, let's book 'em and enjoy a nice meal, I'm buying."

"Did you really have to shoot them with two shots each?" I say with a incredulous look. With a glance I could tell that only two of his shots missed. Probably because the men were pretty spread out. He had explained it to me before that his blink only lasts a short amount of time so he has to shoot quick. This can cause the natural problem of missing due to being rushed. So before he could reply I shrugged off my incredulity and continued. "Not that I'm complaining A-oh. Anyway where do you wanna go to get some grub?" I say after returning his smile and wrapping an arm around him.

Ceur'Caelesetos
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orrin55 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:28 am

Aeoni put up a thoughtful face as he felt his arm grabbed by Jenna "i'm in a mood for spicy, a mexican resturant would be good for that." Despite his cheerful nature he was already reloading his guns with more rubber bullets, "I thought i saw a mexican place back where you were flaunting yourself but i'd have to double check, if not i'll just hit the nearest fast food joint." He holstered his guns and dropped an arm on Jennas shoulder. In his other hand he pulled out a small radio "Command, Me and Jenna are taking a qucik lunch break so i'd appreciate it if you didn't call us out on anything." He listened for a reply and hearing nothing stuffed the radio back into his pocket "Screw it, if they call us we'll just ignore it and suffer the report later."

Orrin55
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kokiri_kat on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:42 am

Belle trudged sleepily into her room. Over the last forty-eight hours without sleep, somewhere along the way she had lost track of the time. It was snowing outside her window, and though the sun still seemed to be out, the sky was a darkish gray. She had no idea what time it was, except that it was time for her to finally get some sleep.

She walked passed a mirror on her way to the bed, cringing inwardly. Her appearance being what it was, she could have passed for a banshee in a horror movie. There was dirt covering her face, and her hair: once perfectly tousled into an a-line that would have made her stylist proud, if she had one, was sticking up on all ends as if she had been through a wind tunnel. Belle groaned. She was too tired to brush her teeth, let alone take a shower.

She walked away from the mirror, pulling off her jacket and pants and slipping into her bed. She shivered momentarily as the bed was practically freezing, but after a few moments she was warm and toasty. Belle breathed in deeply and sighed satisfactorily. Closing her eyes, she drifted off to sleep.

She couldn't have been asleep long when she was awakened by the ringing of her cell phone. Being a light sleeper, her eyes popped open at once. Groaning, she reached down to the floor where her cell was still in her jacket pocket. With some difficulty she retrieved it and looked at the name on the screen. It was Kaden, which meant work.

Belle whimpered. She wanted nothing more than to go back to sleep forever, or at least for a few more hours. She knew, however, that that wasn't an option, so, reluctantly, she opened her phone and answered.

“Hey, Kaden. What do they need now?”

kokiri_kat
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:36 am

Liam jerked upright, covered in cold sweat, violently wrenched from yet another unexplainable, and intensely vivid dream. He'd been getting them for a while now, never more than one or two a month, but lately, in the last week or so, it seemed that they were coming every night. He'd been walking. Somewhere urban, what city, he didn't know for sure, he could smell the rain in his dream though, and hear the subway rumbling beneath his feet like a sleeping giant rousing itself from slumber, and assumed it was New York. It felt like New York. It was almost like a memory, a memory he had never had before. He was ten years old, and walking home, though he couldn't remember where home was, or what was waiting for him there. He had stopped, looking up at the rain, as he heard a song play on the radio of a passing car, though what song was playing he had already forgotten, and he had felt.... something. An emotion. Not something he generally felt in his day to day life, something he wasn't sure he even had a word for. Something warm, tinged with sadness, but with a quiet strength and perserverance to it, rising above the sadness...

"Hope." He whispered the word aloud, reverent, like a child in church. Shaking his head, he climbed out of bed. He knew from experience that sleep would not find him again this night. Crossing the wooden floor of the small bedroom, he passed into the kitchen, where he found his partner, and roommate, Garrison, sitting at the table, smoking a cigarette, and reading a dark covered book. Garrison peered up at him, over the book, raising the eyebrow over his one good eye inquisitively, and asked, already knowing the answer, "Had another dream?"

Liam nodded. "Can I bum one of those?" He asked, and Garrison consented with a wave of his hand. Pulling a smoke from the pack, and lighting it, Liam took a deep drag. "They keep getting more and more vivid, and increasingly frequent, I'm starting to worry theres something wrong with me." Garrison said nothing in response to this, merely barked a short laugh, before allowing it to subside into a rye grin with the a shake of his head, as he returned to his book. Liam smiled, the old guy was gruff, but he was Liam's only real friend in the world, almost like a father to him.

A phone sitting next to Garrison on the table started dancing, as deep vibrations shook it, and the two of them sighed in unison. "Alright." Garrison huffed, putting out his cig, "Why don't you go start gearing up." Without waiting for an answer, he picked up the phone, turning away from Liam, and barking, "WHAT?" Liam grinned as he slipped out of the room, the old man yelling at the phone for daring to disturb him all the while. A few minutes later, Liam emerged from his room, to find Garrison already waiting at the door, his keys dangling by the ring from his pointer finger. Tossing the keys into the air, and snatching them back into his hand in one fluent move, Garrison said, "Lets rock and roll hootchie coo."

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NotAFlyingToy on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:58 am

Dare was leaning against the wall of the Environ Bank, examining at his fingernails. At least, he appeared to be looking at his fingernails. In reality, he was scoping the bank out. Specifically, two anxious looking young men who were standing in line for the bank. He switched hands, glancing at them from under his eyebrows. The taller one of the two, the one who looked like he was in charge, leaned over and whispered to the second one, who nodded earnestly. They both kept tapping their back pockets, as if checking for something over and over.

Dare pushed off the wall, smiling to himself, and walked towards the two of them. His legs itched, wanting to be free of the closed walls of the bank, wanting to run, to jump, to let the momentum carry him through the country, as far as the eye can see. He rubbed his thigh muscles, willing them to stop twitching and allow him a simple walk. That's all he really wanted. To walk, without worrying about blinding speed and obstacles and breaking every bone in his body. He calmly approached the two men, putting a hand on each of their shoulders.

"You boys look nervous. Can I help you with anything?" Dare's voice was sweet and milky. The two men stiffened under his touch.

"N-no, man. We're alright." The second man stated, again patting his rear pocket. Dare nodded and hummed.

"Okay, well. Let me know if you need anything" This time, he allowed a wicked smile as he nodded at them and turned away.

His cellphone was out before he got twenty paces away, speed dial already pressed, and it was ringing. At the click, Dare spoke quickly. He did everything quickly.

"Dare, reporting: Environ Bank. Possible Robbery. Send light forces. Will wait." He snapped his phone shut, and went back to lean against the wall. These two kids didn't know what they were dealing with.

NotAFlyingToy
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby saranm on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:04 pm

Kaden smiled brightly, she wouldn't see it, but after he read a bit more on the file, he had something to boast about. He responded as he started walking out of the crappy apartment building that was supplied to him. "We got something big. Remember that girl that left a few years back? Well, we get to go get her back." He did enjoy his job, after all, he got to capture dangerous criminals... every boys dream.

It was snowy, and therefor wet, so Kaden ended up wearing red rubber boots and a yellow rainslick that looked ridiculous and a few sizes too small. Little he could do about that... the "Hero" business didn't exactly pay well. He stepped into his light blue "crap-mo-beel" as it had often been called... you'd think the government could spare a little more for it's employees. "Apparently, she's working a job over at that Tauros building... got caught on a security camera. Apparently she's got Cog... Cog...ni...zance whatever that means... But they called us in to get her.

He put the key in the ignition and tried to start it while he kept talking. "Need a ride, or do you just wanna meet me there? Either way, I dunno how much longer she's gonna stay in that office building..." He almost shouted in joy when the car finally started and he was finally able to be on his way, silently praying the car wouldn't stop.

saranm
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ceur'Caelesetos on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:05 pm

I began to walk with Aeoni towards the Mexican restaurant when the radio squawked a reply. "Negative team tango-sierra. We have a call in at the Environ Bank Downtown, a possible robbery in progress. You are to rendezvous with Operative Dare. Command Out."

I let out a sigh. "I guess our date is canceled. Work for a hero is never done." I had been to the bank before so I focused on the alley way beside it and held onto Aeoni.

Then I released the concentration and opened my eyes. We were a block off of our destination. "Whelp I guess we have a little time for a walk there." I say flashing a smile to Aeoni.

Ceur'Caelesetos
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Orrin55 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:25 pm

"And i wanted to see you looking cute with salsa on your face too." Aeoni replied. He felt her tighten her grip and instantly they appeared in an alleyway close to the bank leaving him slightly disoriented. "I love being able to instantly warp to areas" He said "But i still hate the aftereffects on the bloody thing." It felt weird for him to say bloody, but he stuck by it and walked with Jenna out the alleyway and towards the large bank after holstering his guns under his jacket. To regular citizens they would have looked liked a regular punk couple. The dark-haired man grinned mentally and nodded towards the two nervous men "Check it out darling, a couple of would be gangsters" He gave a fake laughter heartily and spotted Dare leaning against the wall. He pulled a cellphone and called him up "The loving couple is here for backup" Aeoni said "Shall we wait for them to actually try or book them now?"

Orrin55
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kokiri_kat on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Belle smiled into her pillow. She could tell by Kaden's voice that he was excited about this job. And, for some reason, his excitement always had a way of rubbing off on her. She yawned and stretched as she listened to Kaden's explanation of the job.

"Sounds like loads of fun," she said with a hint of sarcasm. "Cognizance huh? I hope that means she won't put up much of a fight. Alright, come get me. By the time you get here I should be ready," she said, hanging up the phone.

Belle jumped out of bed reluctantly, and hopped into the shower. It took forever for the water to warm up, and she stood shivering for a good five minutes. As quick as she could, she washed up. By the time she was done, the water was so warm that she didn't want to get out. But, Kaden would probably be knocking at her door at any moment, so she did. She dried off quickly with a plain white towel, and walked over to her dresser. Belle dressed herself in simple clothing: a pair of black skinny jeans, a white, long-sleeved thermal, a pair of brown boots, and the leather bomber jacket she had thrown on the floor not long ago. When she was finished dressing, she put on a red scarf as an after-thought, since it was cold outside. On the edge of her bed, she waited with her legs crossed, bobbing her foot up and down.

kokiri_kat
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NotAFlyingToy on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Dare rolled his eyes at the sight of the punk couple walking in the bank. In an effort to look as unconcerned with them as possible, he turned so he was facing away from them. His cell phone rang, and he smirked. Leave it to those two to call him from across the damn room.

He flipped his phone open and put it to his ear. "Hey, mom!" He said as a greeting, over enthusiastically for the benefit of the security guard, doing rounds. The two men were joined by a third, who looked a lot more dangerous and sure of his actions. "I was just about to call you..." He waited until the security guard passed before speaking slowly and deliberately.

"I'm not entirely sure about their intentions, but the big one who just showed up looks pretty serious. I'd suggest moving at the nearest sign of danger. I'll run interference for you if you want." He straightened against the wall. Who was he kidding? Speed wasn't going to be any good against three armed gangsters, and while his speed was significantly more enhanced than the average Joe's, both Aeoni and Jenna were top notch heroes, real professional at taking out thugs, if not in their demeanor. "But all in all, man, it's your call. You're the response team, not me."

Dare shifted again. Standing still was killing him, and he never was the most patient cat ever. He smoothed his free hand over his jeans. Be cool, don't blow your top in front of a response team. Keep it together, Dare.
Last edited by NotAFlyingToy on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotAFlyingToy
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby saranm on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:24 pm

"Great, see you in a bit" he mumbled into the dial tone as he sped off into the cold slick streets. The street lights were on, giving off their ominous blue-yellow glow as they hung on their long poles. A couple of kids, likely gangsters flipped off the car, he ignored them, anyone not in the government, and not a civilian, was against them. The snow began blowing a bit harder, and it just got that much colder. Kaden's only indication of this was to grab a thick jacket from the back and set it on the passenger seat.

He finally pulled up to his partners apartment, it was noticeably better, but still not by much. He took a deep breath as he looked at the deep snow outside of the car. He pulled a small red sack out of his pocket and squeezed it tight before putting it back. He stepped out and almost immediately regretted it as bits of snow fell into his boots and soon melted to water. He noticeably winced as it felt like fire on his foot.

He stepped lightly, if that was possible for a man of his size, and walked swiftly to the door. He rapped on the door three times, and clung close to it to try to avoid the snow falling on his face, it would be a long night. Hopefully the target preferred to remain indoors. But, with his luck, maybe hell would take a que from the city and freeze over.

saranm
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kokiri_kat on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:51 pm

Belle jumped slightly at the loud sound of knuckles hitting her door. Waiting had always made her antsy, and even though she knew it would happen eventually, the knocking jarred her a bit. She jumped up immediately, and was at the door in a flash. Wrenching it open, she met the face of Kaden, or the torso more like, as the man was over two feet taller than her.

The chill in the night air met her spine and she shivered. "Shit, it's cold!" she said with a little jump. Her breath was visible as it came out of her mouth. She stepped outside onto the snow littered steps beside Kaden, closing the door and locking it behind her. Belle knew first-hand what kind of city they lived in, and she never did stupid things like forgetting to lock her door. The fact that she had practically nothing of value to steal was entirely beside the point.

When she was finished, she turned and smiled up at Kaden. "Howdy Pardner!" she greeted, "Ready to rustle up some bad guys?" She laughed and bounced off toward his car with a dancer's grace in her step. In one fluid movement, she opened the door and got in, shutting it behind her.

kokiri_kat
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby saranm on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:51 pm

The pain still in his foot, Kadens eye twitched... "So damn happy, I though that was my role." He scowled a bit, he had started off happy, but water in it's many forms always angered or saddened him. He trudged back to the car, avoiding getting any more acid in his boots as he opened the door. He smiled warmly at Belle and got in, turning up the heater, knowing she was about to ask. He turned the key the rest of the way, and it sputtered twice before filling the air with the lovely noise of the car engine actually starting. He handed her the two papers he had brought with him and said "those are her picture and file, coats under your ass if your still cold, and damn, I feel like a chauffeur." He sped off again, loosly focused on the road as he planned ahead for the fight that was almost sure to ensue.

The Tauros building came into sight, as it was only about three blocks from the apartment that Belle owned. He pulled the crap-car up next to the decent sized building and and pulled out the red bag once again before putting it back and turning to his partner. "Anything else before we go, or are you ready to retrieve some property?" Even as he said it, Something pinged in the back of Kadens mind... property... why had he used that word?

saranm
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Lord of Hats on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:55 am

A set reminder went "ding" in Komi's mind. She turned away from the completed puzzle (her third), and looked out the window, comfortable in the ability of the glass's mirrored outside to keep her from view.

She looked dispassionately at the car below. The company had always thought that run-down cars were more subtle than new ones. If you knew of the company, though, the truth was incredibly easy to see. Rare were the people who kept cars in that state, and rarer still were the ones who were as tall as the driver appeared to be.

He appeared to be scowling for some reason. There were a number of possible causes, such as the cold, being out on the job, or even just attitude. Komi was still certain that her postulate was correct. She spared only a glance at the woman seated next to him. Her motions, even at this distance, showed a fluidity that Komi doubted was natural. She doubted that the woman was a dual, and superhuman grace would be easy enough to allow for.

Returning to her desk, poured herself another cup of coffee, downing it immediately, then another. The upcoming headache wasn't going to be pleasant no matter what she did, but cutting its legs out from under it before it started at least shortened the length of her suffering, and decreased its magnitude. Reaching into a drawer, she pulled out a flask of distilled water. Unscrewing the top, she focused intensely. Slowly, a sphere of water pulled itself out of the flask. Gradually, it floated upwards to the ceiling, and hovered over the elevator doors that were the only entrance to her office.

She ran her hair through her hands, delegating control of the small sphere of zero gravity to a lower brain level, hardly even a conscious one. Sitting down in her chair, she waited. They would be coming soon.

The Lord of Hats
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kokiri_kat on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:50 pm

Belle looked the file over quickly. The files the company provided never went into much detail anyway. Actually, sometimes it seemed like they gave you as little information as possible, leaving you to figure out the fun stuff for yourself: the hard way. She spent a little more time on the picture. The attractive face of the Asian woman named Komi looked somewhat familiar to her. It was likely she had had some contact with her while she was working for the company, although Belle had never had the clearest of memories, so she couldn't say for sure.

She put down the file as they pulled into the parking lot of the Tauros building, and pulled off the jacket indicated by Kaden earlier. She put her hands close to the heater, hoping to take the last bits of warm air with her as a safeguard from the near freezing night. She looked at Kaden when he asked if she wanted anything else or if she was ready.

"Nope, I'm good, buckaroo. Let's start this party," she said opening the door and putting one foot outside. She was about to exit the car when she remembered something she wanted to ask Kaden.

"By the way, how are you holding up with the snow and all?" she asked, referring to the fact that water did to Kaden what acid did to most people.

----------------------------

Audrey lay on her bed of red sheets and blankets, tapping her fingers incessantly on the bedside table with her lips pursed. It had been a few days since her and her partner last had a job, and she was beginning to become impatient for something to do. Unlike most young people her age, her life was stalking bad guys in the middle of the night and bringing them to justice. She had never been to an amusement park or to the movies with her friends. In fact, besides her partner Kor and a few others within the company, she didn’t have any friends. Audrey had been to the mall once to apprehend a jewel thief at a Kay’s store, but she decided that it wasn’t all it was cracked up to be.

She was just beginning to notice that sixteen-year-olds didn’t normally have their own apartments or jobs like the one she had. Then again, normal sixteen-year-olds couldn’t shoot balls of energy out of their palms either. It made her feel special in a way, to know that she contributed to society in a way that few people her age could. She loved her job, even at times like these when it required her to sit around waiting for a call from the company.

She finally grunted in frustration and picked up her phone. This would be about the third time she had called Kor. After a few rings, it went to voicemail.

“C’mon Kor, call me back. We haven’t had any action in two days. Please tell me you’ve got something for us to do. I’m going crazy here. Ugh!”

She hung up the phone and threw herself back down upon her bed as if to emphasize a point that no one would see besides herself.

kokiri_kat
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby saranm on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:11 pm

Kaden smiled, it was slightly faked, although she had cheered him up considerably. She made her comment about the snow and he just stepped out of the car "It burns, but I can handle it." He fiddled with the red bag in his pocket some more as he walked slowly to the door. When he finally got there he placed his hands in a cup to peer through the glass door, taking note of the security cameras and some of the furniture. He smiled when he noticed a zen garden sitting on what appeared to be a receptionist's desk, thinking about how un-zen this building would turn in a few minutes. He looked back at Belle and smiled again, before pulling the red bag out of his pocket, untying the gold rope that held up the top. He dipped his finger inside and when he pulled it back out, sand was coming with his finger. Soon, the sand thinned out and formed around his hand, and jutting out from his knuckles were large spikes.

He tested the door, as expected, locked, but the company would have taken care of any alarms before hand, so he pulled back his fist and let it rocket towards the hard glass. After the clinking glass settled, he stepped inside yelling "Anybody home?" he then looked to Belle again before saying "What floor do you think she's on?"

saranm
Member for 15 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!