Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Original Idea: AoCF

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Original Idea: AoCF

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Epistaxis on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:43 am

Angel of Cherry Feathers
angel-cherry-feathers-t27063.html
Being the objective minimalist that I am, you have my deepest apologies for this whale of a post; I'm seeking fairly experienced role-players. The setting of this story will be the world of Chiheisen, which bears a good resemblance to earth's past. The highest levels of technology include single-action firearms and the recent creation of the steam engine. Humans are the only playable race, and naturally "magical" abilities simply don't exist.

((You'll notice I threw "naturally" in there.))

While Chiheisen mainly differs from earth in its era and geography, the strongest distinction is that of the recently discovered alloy (Discovered around eighteen or so years in the past) known as Cherryfeather Steel. It was given this name because of its extremely light weight and red hue. It is indestructable under normal conditions. Its blunts never break and its edges never dull. One who taps the power of Cherryfeather Steel is known as a Wielder.

Anyone who is touching Cherryfeather Steel is able to do various things no regular humans may perform. While in contact with this alloy, a person may revert to his or her most prime age in peak physical condition, drawing absolute strength, speed, and stamana. Any item of Cherryfeather Steel may have its mass (though not its volume) be altered by its Wielder at will, allowing the item to go from being as light as air to as heavy as a boulder in an instant, potentially creating impossibly fast and forceful strikes. In addition, there are a multitude of bizarre powers, e.g. contorting an element, breaking a physical law, or altering people's mental state, which are determined by that metal's specific shape.

((Side Note: I'd rather no two people have the same weapon/item, as that would mean sharing an ability. There is no actual order in what shapes yield which powers, so feel free to pick a creative item/ability, and pair them together. I really don't care if an object might be considered "overpowered," since that's really what these are meant to be in the first place. For example: if "sword" is already taken, then "twin swords" are out as well.))

A Cherryfeather item's strength is determined by three things:
1>Its volume: The physical amount of steel.
2>Its purity: How old it is.* (This can normally be determined by color alone--darker reds being more original)
3>Its Wielder's will: Weaker willpower gives them greater strength; those who succumb to frustration, hostility, and greed are generally the most powerful of Wielders, while those with a conscience and sense of morality have a harder time tapping the metal's power.

*Only under the intense heat of a forge does the alloy become malleable. This would normally be all well and good, but there seems to be only a limited amount of it. All existing Cherryfeather Steel can be traced back to a single region around eighteen years in the past, and no more of it has been found since. Smelting the alloy into different shapes or into more/larger items is always a wasteful process, as it fractions off the power exponentially. Because of this, generally, the earlier an item with CF-steel was made, the more powerful it is.

Geography:
The known world's map is cut horizontally into a handful of strips determined by the land's relation to its equator. The Bright Trail is located directly on the equator, and is home to the most prosperous people and cities. The (Northern and Southern) Dim Trails sandwich the Bright Trail; they are generally colder, cloudier, and less appealing. The (Northern and Southern) Dark Trails are the furthest out, closest to the frozen poles, and are nearly inhospitable.

Ruling:
There is no central government or common regulations between lands. Areas are contained under something like a monarchy with the highest rank being that of a Warlord. Just beneath that are Noblemen, handpicked by the current Warlord, who own the individual cities. Regular inhabitants aren't actually expected to remain loyal to the Nobleman and Warlord they live under, as countless travellers go between lands too often to deal with. Even soldiers are more like merceneries, and will change alliances if another land's Warlord offers higher pay (it isn't considered an act of betrayal, just simply the more intelligent decision).

Money:
The common currency is the Guilder, a purple square of silk with golden threading. There are also five- and ten-Guilder squares, etc. Silk is associated with luxery and a higher standing in life; Warlords and Noblemen often wear silken coats and have drapes of it in their homes. Generals and traders, as well, can amass large amounts of it. The ownership of silkworms is widely prohibited.

Important:
After the story's begun, there will be two rather obviously balevolent and malevolent groups, either of which may be joined up with at any point. It may help if I were told in advance which "side" will be joined upfront, or if you'd prefer to remain independant for a while. The main focus of this story will revolve around these conflicting sides; the banevolent one trying to keep the baddies in check while searching out the alloy's mysterious past, while the malevolent folks will be stirring up trouble for an unknown goal. (I have a character "leading" each side, in a way.)

It will be important for joiners to understand the limitations of having simple humans with no naturally magical abilities, which is in part my purpose for trying the story in this way; if they lose contact with their item or weapon of Cherryfeather Steel, they'll revert to being the regular folks they were before. There will be no half-elf-half-vampire-mage-paladin-chesswizard-godkings in this one. It's my belief that placing limitations on one thing can really make the creativity in others shine, so I'd love some feedback on if any experienced role-players are interested in taking part.
Last edited by Epistaxis on Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Epistaxis
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Re: Original Idea: AoCF

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby flickery on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:11 am

I'm not pessimistic about this nor do I think lesser of this thread, however your concept is strangely similar to bloodsteel in the movie 'Knights of Bloodsteel' despite being an original idea.

A smilie costs nothing, but in the internet, it is EVERYTHING.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

flickery
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SleepyShadow on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:21 am

It sounds very interesting to me, though it definitely reminds me of an old Dungeons and Dragons campaign setting called 'Red Steel'. There was a red metal (go figure) that granted strange and bizarre powers to those who wielded it, though at a terrible cost. I think it was called Cynabrill or something like that.
Drop your shield!

SleepyShadow
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chris Nemo on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:38 am

The problem with asking for feedback on something this well thought-out is that it requires us to state what I feel to be obvious. It's a unique idea that, while drawing on familiar themes, strays far from being a simple rehash of what's already been done. With the timeframe, it could be Steampunk, but it's not about a bunch of teens against the world (well, maybe, depending on who joins). Cherryfeather brings Fullmetal Alchemist's alchemy vaguely to mind, but the restrictions and exceptions are more carefully placed. And like several recent quality series I could mention (forgive me, recovering weeaboo here), the setting allows for interaction of all sorts. You've got the basic character development, then the layer above that dealing into human psychology and what would drive the "villians" with their superior control of the metal - or, for that matter, what sort of ordeals the "good guys" could decide to undergo to avoid their disadvantage - nationality issues and any sorts of discrimination which may tie in with them, just where political strife might fit into such a lassez-faire world order, and very possibly even delving into morality issues.

So, if it's not clear, I like it. A lot. Granted, I tried to give the above from as neutral a standpoint as possible, but I'm only human. Really though, what I find to be the biggest issue is where you decided to start it. I have no desire to insult anyone, and I could simply be ignorant here with my having joined less than a week ago, but from what I've seen, the people who could play this in a way that does it justice here at RP Gateway are few and far between.

But um... Yeah. Hopefully this is sort of what you were looking for and doesn't sound too terribly off (it's hard to type multiple coherent passages when a phone's thumbpad prohibits your fingers from from moving as fast as your mind). I'll be eagerly looking forward to this thing's initiation, believe you me.

Chris Nemo
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Epistaxis on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:29 pm

Never heard of Knight of Bloodsteel or the D&D campaign. It's an idea I had about four years ago and have been refining since, as well as trying out in different forms. The ultimate plan was to mold a novel idea out of it, but I only further that in my free time.

Ah, good to see it's gotten at least a few people's eyes. To address the point of why on this forum: I really wanted activity. Most RP-ing forums I've been to in the past (some I still visit regularly) are quite slow no matter what I check or how many people are involved, so I wanted to start something here just for activity's sake and see where it heads. There's certainly no shortage of people. Whether or not this is a wise choice, we'll soon see.
The main themes I'm hoping for are not only the clash between the two sides, but slowly searching out the metal's past, as well as what created the first batch of it to begin with. Observant readers will likely catch it right away from the prologue, but none of the characters (at least to start with) will be aware.
(It won't help much. The peek into how the metal was made will only raise more questions.)
I should also like to make a list of the currently reserved items, meaning things on this list should not be used, as there are already plans for them by another member.
Sword
Sheath
Shield
Rifle
Knife
Buckle
Crown
Chain
Hammer
Earring
Key
Conductor's Baton
Ring
Last edited by Epistaxis on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Epistaxis
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:21 pm

I rather like this idea, and to be honest, I like a few restrictions on a roleplay, seems like so many people revert to very basic characters if you don't put a few obstacles in the way of their creation. I don't know if I qualify as experienced, but I'd certainly like to give this thread a shot, I'm flexible enough to fill whatever position might be needed after the higher ups have divided the thread. I already know a character fitting to this sort of era and plotline after a few minor adjustments.

If anything, I'll just enjoy reading the resulting thread. It sounds original enough to keep the interest, with plenty of room for the cliched but diabolical twist, or other such literary goodies...

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Epistaxis on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:44 pm

So I have Oran Tarlin and Chris Nemo with me almost certainly, correct? I've sent messages to SleepyShadow and Flickery to see if I can get their support as well. I'm hoping for at least three or four people before opening it, but I'll continue accepting applications after that.

Epistaxis
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Lord of Hats on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:08 pm

You've definitely got my interest. It'll take a while for an idea to congeal, but you've definitely got my interest.

The Lord of Hats
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dashmiel on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Greetings. I find this idea of yours quite compelling. I like the well placed "limitations" on character development which served not so much as limitations but rather as a funnel of creativity pointed inwards towards the character rather than outwards. The whole concept of the Cherryfeather's powers and the mystique of their origins is also something I find quite interesting. It's reminiscent of several other concepts and works, but merely in the basis of it, as your implementation is indeed refreshing. It allows for one's creativity to be the only bound in what can or can not be done. It takes away the vastly overused idea of a weapon's power being matched by it's sheer destructive power. In this venture, I can definitely see the pen outclassing the sword if done right. So all in all, in case it is not quite obvious enough, I like this idea. Now, if I may be so bold, I would like to ask that if from the pitifully small post that I have the time to post I am found appropriate that a spot be reserved for me. If that is the case, I already have a character in mind, who will be sided with the "Malevolent" side and whose pure loathing of the wealth of others is his driving force. Should I be allowed entrance, I would like to reserve an item as my Cherryfeather artifact. In my case, it would be an orchestra's conductor's baton. Thank you in advance for accommodating my impressive lack of modesty. Duty calls me, and I must depart, but I look forward to see if I shall be allowed to lead a symphony or take the boot.

Cheers.

Dashmiel
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby flickery on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:41 pm

-In a very british accent-

Very well, ask and thou shall be granted. You have my support, shalt I reserve the cast of a ring for my character's steel?

flickery
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Epistaxis on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:56 pm

I'll add baton and ring to the list. Anything made from it will have to have been within the past couple decades. Re-shaping an item or making more of them fractions off the power exponentially, so the closer one is to an "original," the stronger it tends to be. I'll mention this all in-story anyway, so I'm just giving the info here as a heads-up.

I'm not sure how big the posting limit is here, but I can bet my opening will match it. If all goes well, I may have it up later tonight. I should also point out that you aren't required to start with any steel, nor do you have to get/lose any during the course of the story. If you do choose to have a CF item or weapon, you aren't limited to just a single one. Play with that however you wish.

It may not be evident from the opening--with my myriad (sub)characters--but the "leaders" of the banevolent and malevolent sides will be those Wielding the Cherryfeather Sheath and Cherryfeather Sword respectively.

Epistaxis
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby flickery on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:34 pm

@ Sleepy Shadow: is the campaign called 'Mirabilis'? Is that's so, it's the same as Knights of Bloodsteel (I think it's a DnD based movie!).

flickery
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chris Nemo on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:59 pm

Oh, goodie, and here I was tearing my hair out over what shape(s) my character(s) should get, when it's not necessary that they have any Cherryfeather in the first place.

If anything, maybe a compass (as in the drawing kind, not navigation)?

Chris Nemo
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby imogen_22 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:02 pm

Oh, I certainly like this idea. =3 Although it's been said, I feel the need to say it again; I very much like how you set distinct limitations. One of the most common problems I find in fantasy roleplays is the limits of magic. Either they're vague and undefined, or far too narrow, or don't exist at all. So for setting such practical limitations, I applaud you. I would definitely be up for joining this roleplay.

One question, though-should the form of a character's Cherryfeather Steel be some sort of weapon? I noticed that some of the forms on the list were not. How would such items (ring, crown, earring, etc.) be used?
Live, love, laugh

imogen_22
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Epistaxis on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:11 pm

Anything metal (or even containing metallic parts or trim) could theoretically be of Cherryfeather descent. Since the metals were forged and smithed into various shapes before anyone knew about their power, the originals were sold and spread. Many were re-shaped multiple times, so it's not hard to believe that someone with a curious mind would want to test a different shape.

You may or may not decide to include the backstory of how your character came into having the item(s) they currently Wield, if any.

In any case, they certainly don't have to be weapons.

Epistaxis
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dashmiel on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:47 pm

Epistaxis wrote:Anyone who is touching Cherryfeather Steel is able to do various things no regular humans may perform. While in contact with this alloy, a person may revert to his or her most prime age in peak physical condition, drawing absolute strength, speed, and stamana. Any item of Cherryfeather Steel may have its mass (though not its volume) be altered by its Wielder at will, allowing the item to go from being as light as air to as heavy as a boulder in an instant, potentially creating impossibly fast and forceful strikes. In addition, there are a multitude of bizarre powers, e.g. contorting an element, breaking a physical law, or altering people's mental state, which are determined by that metal's specific shape.

I have a few questions regarding this statement: Does the person(s) in possession of a CF artifact need to be in constant physical contact (as in the metal touching their skin) with it at all times? From the statement it does appear like it is so, but some items like the sheath suggest more of a within possession as in a belt or pocket sort of situation. Also, as far as the manipulation of mass goes, does it work both ways? Is it possible to make an CF artifact weigh less than air? I merely ask to make sure that the wicked actions I shall open with do not stray past the limitations and remain "realistic" within the bounds of this realm.

Dashmiel
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Epistaxis on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:04 pm

A beginner in Wielding may require skin contact, but being proficient in it to a degree would let you Tap its abilities simply by having it on your person. To address the mass: the bottom limit is that they could presumably weigh next to nothing. (I've normally only considered the part about making them heavier, literally increasing the force of a strike) I like the way you think.
It should be noted there is a definite physics to how they function, but those laws can in most cases take a backseat to the Rule of Cool.

I'm around the midpoint of the monsterous opening post right now, so expect it within an hour or two. The opening city (at least where most of my characters will be starting off) is Ne'Fuo, a Dim Trail city just a ways south of the Bright Trail's edge.

EDIT:
angel-cherry-feathers-t27063.html
And there we are! Be happy I didn't continue. I tend to get carried away with so many characters and just continue the story on my own. It's only implied in the story so far, but I should say it here: Tsuzu is the only person who can see Andras.

Epistaxis
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:08 pm

Ah! A delicious first post, so this will be a profile-free roleplay? I think, I'm okay with anything, but I'll just warn that my character has a cherryfeather watch. It doesn't have time powers or anything, just a delightfully red watch on a red chain. The chain doesn't have much cherryfeather, but, if it is allowed, I'd like it to be original and unaltered, the clock was made of cherryfeather that's been recast 4 or 5 times, so it's really the chain that's the powerful item.

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Epistaxis on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:48 pm

The watch works for me. Being an original, it's likely to be worth quite a bit.

Epistaxis
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chris Nemo on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:09 pm

My director's got the most wonderful timing in releasing us from rehearsals... I get on as soon at the IC thread goes up.

Was the answer to Oran's question about profiles a "yes," or is there a character sheet forthcoming?

Chris Nemo
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!