Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Please Don't

a topic in Poetry, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

For the assorted types of poetry.

Please Don't

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby whaoowheex3 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:50 pm

Please don’t define me

by that which is limited

to the material

You allow to enter

Your consciousness

and Please don’t measure me

by a ruler as short as

Your imagination

but most of all -

Please don’t

invalidate the existence

of my feelings

because You lack the ability

to understand them.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

whaoowheex3
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Please Don't

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Hey I'm Rulke and I tend to review things like this rather than just comment. I warn you now I can be a little harsh or very depending. My first thoughts are this seems more like a rant and doesn't flow like a poem. It appears more like a stream of conciousness, which can work but I shall explain my thoughts further.

To elaborate I understand message trying to deliver, I'm just not all that happy with how ya choose to give us it. For instance it doesn't come across as a poem as it can flow all together in one sentence. Perhaps this was effect you were looking for. But to me it bothers as there no reason for it to be split into lines. Another issue I have is it doesn't try pull me in, it's basically navelgazing and doesn't ring any of my emotions. You don't try capture us with a metaphor or language technique, if ya wish to speak about this fine, but please do so in a way that the readers enjoy it just as much.

The main issue with this is it 'tells' everything and doesn't allow us to see. It's easy to shout out how you feel, but a little subtly and ambiguity works wonders. By outright yelling the message. I becomes less a poem and more soapbox to yell your feelings. You have to remember there will be others reading this and they want to feel what you feel, they can't do so if you spoil the message and insist on telling us everything.

What I liked though was your word choice, it's not juvenile and really shows you've a good lexicon in your head. They're not hastily chosen and they work the logic of this poem. I also liked the message, even if it was yelled at me.

Overall I say remember the guidelines of 'Show don't tell'

Hope this helps :).
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Please Don't

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby whaoowheex3 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Thank you (:
I shall keep that all in mind when I decide to write another.

whaoowheex3
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!