Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A Potential Crime-Thriller RP

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cloasse on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:17 pm

It's been a long day - you've either been at work, doing some grocery shopping or simply waiting out a dreary day off - and you find a plain envelope with your name and address printed on the front in a simple cursive written in dark red ink sitting inside your letterbox...

Dear Reader,

I'm about to prove I know your mind completely,
So think of a number between zero and four-eighty.
Please open the other envelope
And then we'll see how well you cope
When your days are numbered - one, two, three!
How much longer will you last?

From a friend - or should that be 'enemy'?

Of course, you assume that this is just a ridiculous prank. Did the writer of this note really presume to know what number you'd think of out of so many possibilities? You decide to test this amusing prankster's so-called 'knowledge' - the number that popped into your head? One. Nine. Eight.

You open the smaller envelope that had been tucked in with the first letter and read on...

Your number is one-nine-eight. Send £238.93 to the following address - on a cheque, please - to repay me for what you've done me wrong.

James Lewis
198DesignStudio
Port Dundas Business Park
Glasgow

And here you thought I wouldn't get it right...
Well, my friend, the countdown starts tonight.
You have three days to solve my game
And if you get it wrong you've only yourself to blame.
Now you and I have a date,
One-nine-eight.

This here is an idea and nothing more at the moment. It came to me after reading a book called 'Think of a Number' by John Verdon - the only part of the book that was actually used here was the letter concept. None of the rhymes from the book are used and the roleplay, if there is one, won't pan out like the book either.

Right now, all I'm looking for are people who would be interested in the roleplay if I set it up. I wouldn't expect posts all too often - perhaps once or twice a week depending on those involved, although that's really up to you. The roleplay would start off with each of the characters reading their letters. These letters are identical apart from the name and address on the first envelope - everything else is the same. The rhymes, the numbers and the ink used, though they are all handwritten.

The way I'd like to play it is that I act as the person sending these letters - the person who appears to have some form of grudge against each of the characters. These characters have three days to find one another and solve the 'game' - I imagine that I would have the characters in the same city or they would locate one another very quickly through the internet or something.

These characters could go to the police. They would not be able to do anything, however, because there isn't much that the police can do with an unmarked letter, generic ink and paper. The address your character sends the money to - on a cheque, of course - has no link to your character, nor does the person who receives the cheque.

So... Could your characters solve the the problem of the rhyming threats? Leave me a note if you'd have any interest in this sort of roleplay - please make note of the fact that this is not yet a solid idea and may change in the future. There are also plenty of plot points that I need to iron out, too, so keep that in mind!

Thanks for having a gander,

Cloasse.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Cloasse
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Re: A Potential Crime-Thriller RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:17 pm

I'm in. Acceptance or no acceptance. >:|

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

CriminalMinds
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Script on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm in. o.o
Image Image

(03:04:15) Lialore says: I wanted to be the poo.

Script
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Cult Leader Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:38 am

Yes this sounds an intriguing idea - please pm me when it gets going!

Alan23
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cloasse on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:51 pm

So this is now a roleplay - click here.

Cloasse
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RedRaine on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:29 pm

This week's Interest Check of the Week goes to:

Your Interest Check will be stickied with the 'Featured:' title for an entire week!

Congratulations!
~Still trying to fit all of my dreams in a pokeball.

RedRaine
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Greeter Concierge

Re: Featured: A Potential Crime-Thriller RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:08 pm

Woohoo Clo <3

CriminalMinds
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cloasse on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:18 pm

Thank you, RedRaine and CriminalMinds. :) I wasn't sure what that meant to begin with - had to go and ask Mid what that was all about!

<3

Cloasse
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Don88 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:34 am

This sounds really interesting and the right amount of scary. Count me in also =)

Don88
Member for 14 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cloasse on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:48 am

The roleplay has already been set up - we start tomorrow (Monday 1 August, UK time), but if you submitted a decent character tonight then there's a chance you could be included with the roleplay.

This is the link to the roleplay: Dear Reader...

Cloasse

Cloasse
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!