Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Reincarnation: Possible?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Reincarnation: Possible?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Macabre Legion on Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:06 pm

There is documentation of Reincarnation, not just through a single, or several, religions. You can google it, and it'll pop up, but there is nothing, no evidence, to support the Xian and Atheist claims of what happens when we die. Sure, there is the Xian books of what happens, but it is full of contradictions, we just shrug it off and place it in the fantasy section of our libraries. Then there is the Atheist claims. We live, we die, and that is it. I do believe many state that this is more than possible, because of the lack in evidence of what happens after our deaths.

http://www.reversespins.com/proofofreincarnation.html
This link shows of how a little boy could provide some clue as to what happens when we die. Yes, I do understand that the parents could have just imagined the whole thing, forcing their kid into this sort of tale, but what of the other documentations? Did all of the parents of children from around the world just get together and come up with their own version, and forced their kids to act it out?

http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm
Dr. Ian Stevenson has spent his last 40+ years collecting stories of children's past lives from all across the world. Could he have made it up? Sure, but what of the religions that focus around the concept? Was that made up as well, or is it possible that this may actually be real?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/15/sunday/main20063019.shtml
http://haigobaigo.hubpages.com/hub/reincarnationevidence

The list goes on and on, but no scientific support for the Xian and Atheist communities, and why is that, I wonder?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Macabre Legion
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Reincarnation: Possible?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:22 pm

There's plenty of evidence that after we die, we decay. Comparatively, there's scarce evidence that some part of our consciousness magically teleports into the brain of a newborn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:06 pm

... there is nothing, no evidence, to support the Xian and Atheist claims of what happens when we die.

The evidence that nothing happens when you die besides bodily decay is that there is no evidence otherwise.

http://www.reversespins.com/proofofreincarnation.html
This link shows of how a little boy could provide some clue as to what happens when we die. Yes, I do understand that the parents could have just imagined the whole thing, forcing their kid into this sort of tale, but what of the other documentations? Did all of the parents of children from around the world just get together and come up with their own version, and forced their kids to act it out?

I only read the first story in that link. It seems plausible to me that he could have gotten the ideas from television or other media and then let his imagination run wild.

Occam's razor.

http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm
Dr. Ian Stevenson has spent his last 40+ years collecting stories of children's past lives from all across the world. Could he have made it up?

It's plausible that he's either lying, greatly exaggerating the results, or that children simply have over-reactive imaginations. Probably a combination.

Sure, but what of the religions that focus around the concept? Was that made up as well

... Yes?

or is it possible that this may actually be real?

There's some slight possibility I guess, but the same can be said for almost any fanciful superstition or myth, like Santa Claus.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/15/sunday/main20063019.shtml

With some slight nudging, people's imaginations can lead them to believe anything.

http://haigobaigo.hubpages.com/hub/reincarnationevidence

Couldn't read that one, but I don't doubt it's anything other than the same bullshit as the other links.

The list goes on and on, but no scientific support for the Xian and Atheist communities, and why is that, I wonder?

Yes, there's no evidence that when we die, our brains shut down and our bodies decay.
Alternative roleplaying forums, chat, and Etherpad

Fallacy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Macabre Legion on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:28 pm

dealing with it wrote:Comparatively, there's scarce evidence that some part of our consciousness magically teleports into the brain of a newborn.

There is still evidence, though. Even if it cannot be explained fully, the documentation is there.

@Fallacy

Read more, and research it for yourself. Everyone, from all over the world, can't all be in on the conspiracy of acting out that they are reincarnated in some way.

You have the religious views on the subject, the Atheistic views, and the smart ass views. I already know the brain and body decay, I'm talking about the views that circulate about what happens to the essence that makes up people as a whole.

Macabre Legion
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Macabre Legion wrote:@Fallacy

Read more, and research it for yourself. Everyone, from all over the world, can't all be in on the conspiracy of acting out that they are reincarnated in some way.

You're deliberately missing my points. Why does it have to be a 'conspiracy'? People's brains work in ways that they're able to imagine things that don't exist and twist reality, and this can be heavily influenced by other people and ideas (e.g. if I've been brought up believing that ghosts exist, I'm more likely to interpret and manipulate situations in my head to make it seem like ghosts exist, like seeing a face in a window or thinking that wind against the branches of a tree is moaning). And, again, Occam's razor -- there are much simpler explanations for why people believe they're reincarnated than believing that they actually are reincarnated.

You have the religious views on the subject, the Atheistic views, and the smart ass views.

...What?

I already know the brain and body decay, I'm talking about the views that circulate about what happens to the essence that makes up people as a whole.

There is no evidence that people are any more than their physical bodies. See my soul thread.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:25 pm

Macabre Legion wrote:I already know the brain and body decay
Excellent. Then you know that the people who believe in annihilation of consciousness after death aren't entirely without evidence. I'm looking for a word to describe these people that isn't "atheist", since Buddhists are atheists, and many Buddhists believe in reincarnation.
I'm talking about the views that circulate about what happens to the essence that makes up people as a whole.

I'm not sure what you mean by essence here. Let's say that "humanity" is the essence of being human. When someone loses their humanity, we usually mean they have done something extremely immoral. When someone steals your humanity, it means they have done something extremely degrading to you.

But do you lose your humanity when you die? Do you give it to someone else? I'd say no to both of those. Our humanity remains in the memory of the living, and is tied to the actions, in life, of that decomposing body. And there are only two cases where you give someone else humanity: when you give birth to them, or when you teach them a valuable life lesson.

Or is humanity not the essence of humans? Colour me confused.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:28 pm

dealing with it wrote:I'm looking for a word to describe these people that isn't "atheist", since Buddhists are atheists, and many Buddhists believe in reincarnation.

Skeptics?

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Barboros on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:58 pm

Fallacy wrote:
dealing with it wrote:I'm looking for a word to describe these people that isn't "atheist", since Buddhists are atheists, and many Buddhists believe in reincarnation.

Thing is, Buddhists AREN'T Atheists, they're Buddhists. It's things like this that kinda tick a lot of people off, including those that practice Buddhism. Just because one doesn't believe in a God that rules over all, does not make them Atheist. It just means they don't believe in one all powerful being up there wherever one may be.

Barboros
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:29 pm

Yoru-Senpai, what do you mean when you call someone an "atheist"? I thought it means simply that someone does not (a-) believe in any gods (-theist). Which gods do Buddhists believe in?

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:18 am

Okay, okay.

It gets to a point that reincarnation is just someone saying something. What happens if two people say 'I am the reincarnation of Jesus Christ, the lord and saviour!' Well, they can't both be telling the truth, but at the same time we can't say either of them aren't.

Therefore, like god, there is plenty of first hand accounts proving he does exist, and a lot of scientific evidence that says otherwise.
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chaosut on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:32 pm

I sure hope not. One lifetime on this earth is enough for me. Though perhaps I would be reincarnated as an idealistic and optimistic that would render this sort of mindset useless.

Chaosut
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!