Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Retha: Machines and Magic

Retha: Machines and Magic

a part of “Retha: Machines and Magic”, a fictional universe by MidnightFlight.

Magic and technology compete with each other to win the approval of the people of this world. This roleplay begins in the Kingdom of Anastoria, but who knows where it will end?

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Retha: Machines and Magic”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Retha: Machines and Magic

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MidnightFlight on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:39 pm

This is the auto-generated OOC topic for the roleplay "Retha: Machines and Magic"

You may edit this first post as you see fit.

STFU! Don't tell me what to do! D:<

This is what I consider to be the highlights of the roleplay; there is A LOT more info in the roleplay tab, so go there to learn more.

NOTE: This roleplay now has more than ten characters. I'm not going to stop accepting characters, but when you join, keep in mind that because there are many characters, you won't always get the spotlight.

Also, one more thing. If there is a religion/deity/group/location or otherwise that you wish to add to this world, please PM me. I left it mostly blank so that players and other people could contribute.

Setting

This is a steampunk/fantasy roleplay set in an alternate Earth that we’ll just call Retha to save us infinite confusion. It will have a TV-series like plot, that is, one short plot after another within a general, open plot, some of which can be suggested by players. There will also be “events” to keep things interesting. The events will be directed by NPC’s as played by me, but the characters will have the freedom to do what they want. There is always room for character plots and unexpected twists. I expect lots of humor, drama, and action. Emphasis on the humor!

This may or may not eventually become a humongous fantasy world, but for now… the sprawling, prosperous kingdom of Anastoria is located in the province of Corbele, which is surrounded by the Loperian Sea on three sides. All of this is located on the continent of Paldona, which rests in the Kunel Ocean and serves as part of the dam that forms the Loperian Sea. Naturally, detailed information on the locations in the Kingdom of Anastoria will be revealed in the places tab. Other places in Corbele include the Kingdom of Ciredia, other Kingdoms, several cities, towns, and villages, but we won't focus on those just yet.

The time is early spring, while the wind is still a bit chilly but the flowers are blooming and the sun's warming the earth. The Month is, more specifically, May.

Here is a close up of Corbele. I only marked the most important locations on the map, so there's more to it than what's there.

General Plot

The main plot revolves around the conflict between magic, technology, and religion, and how people interact with each other based on these three subjects. It’s also about the conflict between the Kingdoms of Anastoria and Ciredia. This is just the plot in general; I’ll be focusing more on the smaller chapter/episode esque plots and events that will happen as the story progresses. The main plot can only end in one of three ways; it’s up to the characters to decide which fate will fall upon the two Kingdoms.

Magic

You can do what you want with it, I only require four things, which are listed below. Note that necromancy is allowed, but only on animals, not people. Whoever brings an animal back to life, controls that animal.

--Your eyes glow when you use magic.
--You must be within hearing and/or seeing distance to use magic on a person/object/thing.
--You can’t control someone with magic. (A.K.A Powerplaying)
--Using magic drains your strength. Using more than you have kills you.

Otherwise, you have freedom to use it how you want. If you’re not sure what you’re doing with magic is appropriate or not, PM me before you do it and I’ll tell you.

Technology

You can’t really make rules for this, but here are some guidelines.

There are no computers, cellphones, etc, because that’s considered “advanced” technology, and we don’t want advanced technology. =D

Guns are around, but they’re not common. At least, not as common as traditional weapons. You won’t find them in a market stall; you’ll have to search for them and be willing to pay a lot for them. Unless you can make them yourself, then there’s no problem.

I’ll add more here as I see fit.

Races

You can be any race you want; you can be an existing race, like an Elf, or you can make your own. I only require that:

--They fit within the roleplay universe. No aliens, sorry.
--They aren’t ridiculously over powered.
--If they’re hybrids, they’re only the offspring of TWO different races/species. Not three, not four, not twenty.

Rules

--Follow RPG’s rules.
--Don’t Godmod; it’s lame.
--No explicit or r-rated material please.
--Your character must balance out. You must have at least one physical weakness, but I expect more. D:<

NPC's

The King (Played by me)
Harpy (Bar Owner)
City/Royal Manor Guards
Etc.

Character Outline

You can add whatever I missed. Everything listed is required unless stated otherwise.

Code: Select all
Name:
Race/Species:
Personality:
Abilities/Advantages:
Weaknesses/Disadvantages: (As long as these are obvious, you don't have to show them to other players, but you have to PM me the information so I know.)
Other:
Race/Species Info: (If you don’t want the other roleplayers to see this for plot-related or whatever purposes, you can just PM me the information.
Last edited by MidnightFlight on Mon May 03, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Shimahamaru says:
WTF! STAY IN THERE!!!!

Shimahamaru says:
*stuffs character in*

Cadnumber: 12
Pseudoletter: Chi

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MidnightFlight
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Retha: Machines and Magic

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CYBERPUNK on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:59 pm

I think this will be great for my sky pirate, I submitted a profile sheet.
"You can't go around building a better world for people.
Only people can build a better world for people.
Otherwise it's just a cage." --Terry Pratchett

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

CYBERPUNK
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:20 pm

I'll be a posting something in a bit.
Bai Bai bby

Mid
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hal_Wannabe on Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:01 pm

I'm sorry, but I see no rules regarding technology on this, what are we looking at, high grade prosthesis, or does the steampunk bent lean towards the realm of mad science with death rays?

I am interested either way, but I just want to know the specifics of the tech available, for instance I may want to ride a steam powered flesh golem made from a wolf. I can think up all kinds of crazy shit so I just need to know this kinda stuff.
Card Captor Sakura ~ KAWAIIIII!
And for those wondering, yes I am a guy, yes I do read romance, and yes, I am Straight.

Mistress Faye, my laser tits accidentally fired and melted the cash register. ~ Questionable Content

Hal_Wannabe
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MidnightFlight on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:34 am

It's steampunk. Steam-powered engines, etc. Flying ships, mechanic lifts (like elevators, but a lot less refined), running water, trains... that kind of thing. Machines that aren't refined or high tech; they're on their earliest development stages. You may want to look up the definition of steampunk to get a better idea of what kind of technology I'm talking about, because I'm not the best at explaining it. I left this field open because, in general, people know what to expect technologically when they hear "steampunk".

I don't know about death rays... no, definitely not death rays. As for that last one... wtf? How does a "flesh golem" run on steam engines and be made by a wolf? Sorry if I sound stupid, but I don't get it. =/

MidnightFlight
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hal_Wannabe on Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:06 pm

not made by made from, it's basically a steam-powered Frankenstein's monster. you take the corpse gut it replace it with mechanical parts and an engine, and steampunk isn't always based on steam and runs a full gambit. From the mundane, (steam-powered cars and air ships) to the fantastic, (machine-men and highly advanced, even impossible tech) One of mine, (never got off the ground) had the matter translocation engine, a steampunk flavor teleporter.

Hal_Wannabe
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MidnightFlight on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Um, I'm not really jumping for joy at the idea of corpses being used for transportation, but anything else you have an idea for... just make a list and show it to me and I'll see. Technology isn't something you can really... make rules for. So I just have to play it by eye and see what fits and what doesn't.

MidnightFlight
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fabricati.Diem on Sat May 01, 2010 6:02 pm

MidnightFlight wrote:The main plot revolves around the conflict between magic, technology, and religion, and how people interact with each other based on these three subjects. It’s also about the conflict between Anastoria and Ciredia. This is just the plot in general; I’ll be focusing more on the smaller chapter/episode esque plots and events that will happen as the story progresses. The main plot can only end in one of three ways; it’s up to the characters to decide which fate will fall upon the two Kingdoms.

I love it :D I tried to make a character that would fit right in to that and help move the conflict in multiple ways, and still be interesting and humorous at the same time... We'll see how it works out. Just let me know if there's anything I need to change or clarify, alright?
Only those with their feet on rock can build castles in the air.

Fabricati.Diem
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hal_Wannabe on Sun May 02, 2010 7:16 pm

I absolutely fucking love sod off nobbs, but a question, you take that name from somewhere, cause it's awful familiar. and I'm assuming it just kinda became his names as people told him to Sod Off?

Oh well, love the character, I personally imagine my character crapping himself when he sees how sophisticated your designs are, and a look of incredulity when he sees what it looks like after nobbs puts it together.

How awful it must look.

Hal_Wannabe
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fabricati.Diem on Sun May 02, 2010 9:00 pm

Yup. He never knew his first name, though whenever he asked other kids if he could play they'd say "Sod off, Nobbs" and run away :P
It's a joke I pulled from Blackadder (an old BBC series, with Rowan Atkinson); the picture as well--the character Baldrick was a partial inspiration for Sod-off. If you know where Nobbs comes from, I'd give you a cookie~

Fabricati.Diem
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hal_Wannabe on Sun May 02, 2010 10:20 pm

I've seen a little of black adder, and I don't , i'm sure I'll recognize it if you tell me, but, nothing's coming to mind.

Pouts over cookie.

Hal_Wannabe
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CYBERPUNK on Mon May 03, 2010 3:52 am

I will be posting in awhile, I have a lot to write for my intro since I will be bombarding the city and sacking it during the festival!

CYBERPUNK
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MidnightFlight on Mon May 03, 2010 11:46 am

Woah, woah, woah. Wait just a minute there Cyberpunk. First of all, you didn't discuss these plans with me, nor did you ask me for permission. Normally, I don't require anyone to ask permission to post things in a roleplay, but you're talking about invading the city, and that's a big step that you should consult me about. Don't post about invading the city unless I have all the details first and approve. I have other plans for this event.

MidnightFlight
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hal_Wannabe on Mon May 03, 2010 1:41 pm

yep, he really needed to talk to you about that stuff, on the other hand, sky pirate, sacking and looting is kinda what they do.

Hal_Wannabe
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Mon May 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Regardless of him being a sky pirate or not, she is the GM and he needs to speak to her about plot points like we all do. The rp just started, and we've barely settled ourselves in. Stuff like this instantly kills rps, and if we want this to live longer then a week, we must all do our part. We're writers TOGETHER, and we need to make plans TOGETHER before taking action. Otherwise, people will get pissed off and just say "fuck this shit" and ditch the rp.

Mid
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hal_Wannabe on Mon May 03, 2010 2:33 pm

Let me make myself clearer than I did before, I agree, you can't pull that stuff, but my point is that since the character is a freakin' pirate it's completely in character, huh, all we need's a steam ninja from warriors of steam roleplay and we can start a whole new argument about pirate vs. ninja.

Hal_Wannabe
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MidnightFlight on Mon May 03, 2010 3:11 pm

I expect him to loot and etc, but he's talking about launching a full scale attack against a very large city. That large scale attack will really disrupt events and throw everything into chaos. Something that large needs to be planned, like Myrin said. If he wants to do some small scale looting, that's fine, but to attack an entire city is a bit much this early in the roleplay, especially without asking me what I'm planning. =/

I'm not saying the idea is out of the question... just... not right now. =D

MidnightFlight
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hal_Wannabe on Mon May 03, 2010 3:37 pm

you could always just smack his ass down, it's one pirate crew against a city, a city of technology and magic, average pirate crew is somewhere between 80 to 300 people, I think the city can handle that.

Hal_Wannabe
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Statistic Exile on Mon May 03, 2010 5:53 pm

I seem to have stumbled upon an interesting roleplay here.

First off, I would like to say hello to the Creator and Cast of this roleplay, while giving kudos to those among you here that are making the story flow wonderfully.

And secondly, asking if there is any room for one more, specifically a practitioner of magic, maybe even an assassin; should I be bold enough to ask.
Stop! Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. Being ignorant does not mean intentions are malevolent. See an encounter with an ignorant person as an opportunity to educate and open a meaningful dialogue; bringing with it mutual respect and understanding.

Statistic Exile
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MidnightFlight on Mon May 03, 2010 8:41 pm

Hal_Wannabe: To do that, I would have to divert all attention away from the plot I'm planning, and that's the whole reason I don't want it to happen. Anyway, I don't like to just smack people down. I want the outcome to turn out realistically and give people a chance. He'll definitely have his moment of action, just not right now. =D

Statistic Exile: Hi, nice to meet you. =D Don't worry, there's plenty of room. If you see an opening in the plot that you think you'd like to take to help me move it along, just let me know and we'll talk it over.

MidnightFlight
Member for 14 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!