Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Schools of Magic?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Schools of Magic?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:16 am

My upcoming roleplay is going to feature valkain, which is my version of magic. I have it pretty much worked out by now, but I'm stuck on what different types of valkain I should include. I'm going for a somewhat large variety here.

There are genera, and then there are schools. Genera are broad categories that the different schools of valkain fall into; I'm thinking about also including sub-schools, which are even more specific.

For example:

Genera: Nature
School: Elements
Sub-school: Fire

Any ideas? So far, what's above is all I really have.
Alternative roleplaying forums, chat, and Etherpad

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Schools of Magic?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:07 pm

Well there's all sorts of things.

Spirit
Time
Reality Manipulation (Illusionary)
Shadow
Light
Holy
Necromancy

And for Elements it gets a bit tricky. You can have four main: Fire, Wind, Earth, Water. But you can also combined two of the elements to create a new one; Ice for example, or lava, even storms. It'll go as deep as you can be creative about it.
(16:12:43) Prose says: Izzy does anything she can get her hands on.
(16:12:54) Namaru says: My god Xorn and Prose you guys totally did a bunch of crazy things, I'm sure
(16:12:54) Prose says: Coke, meth, heroine, crack, pot.
(16:13:06) Prose says: Oh that was really bad timing.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:36 am

The trick to combining magicks opens up endless possibilities; lightning is a discharge from air to earth, so could require mastery of two elements to manipulate. Allowing you base classes like the elementals, and advanced classes about combining them. Or maybe that's what they teach the kids in college instead of high school? If your school focuses on teaching magic to fight, you could also have PE, for building up stamina and such. But you could also teach kids basic fighting classes in case there's limitations to magic, or maybe they need to handle people without giving away they're mages.

You might also not focus on magic to fight, maybe teach magic to heal, maybe magic for household chores, construction work or administration, etc.

As for a bland category of sorts; your best bet is to find the wiki of some fantasy books or animé or superhero comics, and pick what you like from there. Combine it if you feel it is too limited or too magicks are too similar. For example, on Eos' list it is perfectly plausible to combine Light and Holy, or Light and Illusionary, or even Light and Shadow into one branch of magic.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zane saphire on Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:16 pm

There a lot of magical powers some I don't even know the names to them so I'll give just describe them to you and let you pick a name for them.

The abilty to absorb the composition of any material into your body, iron, nickle, jade, diamond, ect

Sound magicks also forbidden types of magicks. You could put revival magic that brings people back to life but only if they are masters of large vareity of magic.

zane saphire
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:22 pm

Sounds like fun. I'll throw together some ideas for some genera and schools.

I. Nature
Elements, Flora, Fauna, Disease, Space and Time

II. Spirit
Astral manipulation, Divination, Summoning

III. Mind
Psionics, Mental Shields, Charms

IV. Form
Shape-shifting, Illusions

V. Transubstantiation
Alchemy, Enchantments, Wards and Protections

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Watcher on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:15 pm

This reminds me of a FUDGE based system of magic that someone made. Called "The Graymarye." Maybe it will help, since it operates in a similar fashion to what your trying to acheive. Heres the link.

The Gramarye

Watcher
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sench on Wed May 25, 2011 3:46 pm

A magic system. Where to begin? First of all, you have to ask yourself this question: do you want (and need) a strictly defined system of magic?

The thing is, it's extremely hard to create clear borders when it comes to the effects of various spells. Some examples:
1) Healing/resurrection spells. You can easily attribute healing to any of the following "elements": water, light/holy, life, nature, body. But isn't fire/heat also an important part of a person's life? What about the earth that sustains all life? As for resurrection, is it a manipulation of the body, of the soul, of the mind? All three? Then again, it seems like a divine magic, so it should be light/holy. But then we have phoenixes, who are reborn through fire.
2) Summoning/enchantment. A separate school of magic, a supplementary skill to be used in conjunction with others, or simply a term given to spells of various elements with a common effect?

Unless you have a very specific set of ideas of what magic should and should not be able to do, you will never be able to put it within the borders of a defined system.
That's not much of an advice, is it. XD Well, here's a system I designed (after reading Gramarye, I see they have a lot of similarities, but mine is simpler and was designed for a free-form rp).

The system separates the nature of a spell (Elements) and its purpose (Style). Spells are made by combining various elements and styles depending on their level of skill. Even with the same combination of elements and styles, spells can have a vast difference in their execution/behavior/use.
The three styles are Destruction, Conjuration and Alteration. The first one is self-explanatory. Conjuration deals with creating or restoring something - summoning, illusion and healing spells would fall under here. Alteration deals with altering existing objects - enchantments belong here, but some healing spells are also part of this style rather than conjuration, and some belong to both styles at the same time.
Elemental School consists of fire, water, earth and wind and is pretty self-explanatory. "Advanced elements" like steam, ice and lightning are products of the basic ones.
Clerical School consists of body, mind and spirit. Body is sort of a non-elemental physical manipulation magic, but it also has elements of "life" and "death" magics (such as healing or a curse that affects one's body). Mind magic deals with the minds of living creatures. Spirit magic deals with the spiritual, supernatural, ethereal and the emotional part of a sentient being.
Then there's the Arcane School, the countless elements of which are less elements in their own right and more specific combinations of other elements from the previous schools, created to achieve effects you couldn't otherwise. For example, nature magic is meant to manipulate plants and animals (or other non-intelligent creatures), which means its spells may contain any of the seven basic elements (though mostly water, earth and body).
Finally, there's the Sorcery School, which only has the "element" of Sorcery. This deals with pure manifestations of magic and opens pretty much unlimited possibilities of effects. Though this is a heavily restricted element that only a few can harness at all, not to mention use proficiently.

That is the basic set up of the system, at least.
Irony is lost on those whose behavior is ironic. Isn't that... ironic?

Sench
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!