Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Series of RPs. How to do it?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Series of RPs. How to do it?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sench on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:29 pm

I am a huge fan of fantasy. Its my roleplay hog and hominy. But I am also extremely picky about certain things. I want my fantasy games to be "boundless". In other words, I don't want to see a setting completely limited to a specific cultural/technological/environmental outline. To put it simply, anything you can imagine, even if it is somewhat illogical (not to be mistaken with not making sense, the difference is massive and critical), should have a place somewhere in a fantasy setting. I also have some specific ideas about how magic should work, which is easily the main factor in a fantasy game for me.

Rather naturally, I have created my own fantasy world. Two problems here: way too much information to write it all down and the fact that providing information usually makes people think they can't add anything of their own. My opinion is the opposite: I love when others contribute. Another problem here: I am quite demanding in terms of quality, and people often find it not worth the trouble to try harder. I am quite democratic on actual content, but it has to be well thought-out (and serious). This is mostly just me ranting, though.

On to the topic at hand, I have recently decided it would be fun to hold a series of roleplays, for 2-5 players, set in this world of mine. They would not necessarily belong to the same time period, but they would be somehow connected. While I am still working out the details, I have found myself unable to answer a few questions.

Most importantly, how do I provide the necessary information to the players without boring them to death/making it too much? There is only a limited number of basic facts they need to know before starting, but its still a long read if I want to explain things. I am not excluding the possibility that these roleplays will NOT be held with all the same players, which would make it even harder.
Irony is lost on those whose behavior is ironic. Isn't that... ironic?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sench
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Re: Series of RPs. How to do it?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:38 pm

This is something with which I've struggled with regarding my own series of RPs here, Echo Legacy. Instead of having a large NRP based in my original setting, I like to pick little pieces and bits of a story and play them out with deep characters and a meaningful story.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sciamancer on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:51 pm

It doesn't seem to me that the issue is stringing together a series so much as it is information overload. Many RPs, especially those set in a completely fictional universe, suffer from information overload. All these facts are spewed out on the introduction in boring lists or monotonous explanatory paragraphs. How to solve it? I have a few ideas. Pick and choose what you think might work together.

-Make a nice hook. Focus on some interesting bits and pieces to start with so that people have reason to continue reading all the information. This would ideally be a paragraph or two at most.
-Really, really condense the information into the most basic bits and pieces for one section.
-Focus on more advanced bits in Information OOC threads. An introduction with a scrollbar on the side a nanometer high is a huge turn-off. Trick them by putting the info in OOC threads, lol. That way it's easier to look up information anyway. No one has to look through one massive, massive page.
-Deliver information through alternative writing types. General expository is alright, sure, but throw some narrative in there. That's what RPers are reading 95% of the time, so reading a piece in narrative to get information about a culture could help, right? Just be wise about when and when not to use this. Heck, you could even throw in something odd. A copy of a speech by some leader? A letter from one influential figure to another? A plaque commemorating a great war in the past? Throw in a bit from the culture to show what it's like rather than explain what it's like. Just make sure to not make it too long.
-Since you're using a series, don't focus information on things that will never be used in that particular installment. I saw an RP with a detailed analysis for countries that were miles away from the place where everyone was, and it wasn't a "journey everywhere adventure" RP, either. Too much.
-Pictures can be useful. Maps of course are common. Other things are possible based on what you want to show. Graphs? Timelines (which can be in text, too)? Photos? Use in moderation. RPs are about writing, after all.
-Save some things to be revealed in the RP. Is everyone starting in the same place? If that's the case, foreign lands can remain a bit mysterious until you get there, and then you, as GM, can reveal it. Of course give some very basic information, but keep less important or variable things vague. This also gives people more freedom. Post in OOC before everyone arrives at the new location explaining some more detailed things, which will give people time to plan and contribute new ideas.
-If you are using a small group of people throughout, for the love of all things holy and not, make sure they are dedicated and good RPers. Don't be afraid to reject someone. The smaller the group, the harder the hit will be if they leave or just suck.

That's all I can think of. Can't guarantee any of it to work, but there's ideas. I'd love to see the first installment of the RP and possibly join if it's good, but I can be pretty picky.
1. Join ASCO
2. Fight the monster.
3. Protect the people.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Sciamancer
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:42 am

I have to make sure that I don't get bogged down in my own lore. Once you develop a world and flesh it out through a game or two already, there's a lot of meat on the bone that needs to be digested. When I first launched Echo II, I had a very fancy introduction in the form of a Captain's Log from the commanding officer of a ship. I've since gone back and created a much more simplified and information introduction that helps new players to understand just what is going on.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LSunday on Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:54 pm

On the information overload front, it is probably worth really looking at what characters 'need' to know. Having a huge story and lots of information to draw on is great, but sometimes it bogs you down and you feel like the players need to know a lot more than they actually do. Part of what makes a story feel real isn't having all that information before hand-When you go into the story, you know the things essential to how your own character acts, but you learn other pieces of the world as you go, through mentions and name-dropping, just like you learn in the real world.

LSunday
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sench on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Thank you all for the advice!

But I still find myself troubled. It isn't overwhelming amounts of lore that are creating the abundance of information. I am fine with the players doing whatever with the lore, just as long as they follow some simple guidelines. My explanation of said guidelines has already stretched into six pages of text, and it isn't nearly finished. Condense it too much and some seemingly minor but important points will be lost.

Sench
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LSunday on Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:43 pm

I would say take out some of the minor points-or, at least, ones that have yet to be relevant. It is unlikely that every single limitation you want to impose will be a problem immediately after starting the game. After all, once the players understand the story they'll have their own sense of what should be possible and such. Start with just the essentials for character creation-worst case, you PM someone who submits a character and say "Sorry, but part X of your character sheet wouldn't work/isn't part of the theme of this roleplay. If you could please change it, maybe with alternative Y or Z, I'd be happy to accept the character."

And, as you start giving the lore and tone to the players through storytelling, the issues will fade bit by bit without you having to write down 6+ pages of guidelines. Any new players might need all that, but then again, if they're joining a roleplay that's been going long enough to generate that much essential information, they should be expecting it.

Hope it works out for you!

LSunday
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vanity Evolved on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Honestly? I'd keep it set to a certain section of your world, or whatever, give your basic guidelines ('Magic can make mecha suits' or 'Only humans exist here') and for the rest, treat it like Weapons of the Gods Loresheets; unless a specific character asks, or wants/needs to know about anything else outside of what they're expected to know for who/where they are, they just don't know. (Whereas Weapons of the Gods, being a tabletop, had some mechanical advantages too. While every character knew the idea behind Sifu and Student, only someone who took the Loresheet would know the details of the metaphysical and chi-based nature of the student/master relationship, and as such, can purchase extra abilities/lores based on that).

Vanity Evolved
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!