Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

"Up she goes there she goes..."

a topic in Uncategorized Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

Other roleplay stuff, either inactive or otherwise. Roleplays that don't fit within any of the other categories.

Re: "Up she goes there she goes..."

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby diabolicalxdamsel on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:56 am

((OOC: I'll go ahead and do the discussion with Ezra so we'll prolly be the only ones posting for a day or so depending. Check in regularly or if you wan to to rp something with another player that goes on before takeoff, post it in the PRIVATE forum and post a link on the ooc/wanted page))

Carlotta nodded "Whatever makes you comfortable, madame. Whatever makes things easier for you, however it is crowded in those bunkers as you saw. If you can manage, you free to work as you please, but we have enough room for you to do your work someplace more roomy if need be."

She then handed the crew a small list of things that she recommended they'd bring which included no more than four sets of clothes (a pair os men's pant's for the Delia), a small sewing kit, american cigarettes (for bartering), soap, a pocket watch, and any needed spending money. There was a safe onboard to keep the money safe it they planned on bringing a lot, however there wouldn't be a whole lot of time for sight seeing. She also went into a brief description of the saftey precautions like wearing the rubber jackets and securing themselves to the ship if they were going to be out on deck during storms.

"Well, I suppose that's all the information you need right now." She said slowly making sure she didn't forget anything. "Any other dangers will be learned through trail and error. This meeting a adjourned. You are to bring your things here anytime until we take off. Hopefully we will be taking off in a week. I just have to discuss some business with the owner of The Friday. Ignautius and I will be onboard most of the time so if you have questions or you plan to load your things, feel free to come by anytime. After all, this is going to be your home for several months.
. She
And with that, the meeting is over

The next day, Carla was at her house in front of a full length mirror (there wasn't one on The Scalawag). She had taken her hair down and pinned it back up three times. She was no good at this primping ordeal, but she did want to look favorable hoping that Capian Ezra would lean towards a "yes" if she didn't look so much like...herself. However she refused to look desperate either. "Ugh!" she pulled all the pins back down letting her dark hair fall. She didn't think she could stand having the blasted itchy things rubbing against her scalp all day. She turned around facing the violet and beige dress that lay across her bed like some lazy atrocious beast. She made a face. She couldn't wear it. It screamed "I NEED YOUR HELP!! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!" She shook her head. Not a chance. She couldnt belive the notion passed her mind. She faced the mirror agin. Well she had to do something besides not be covered in soot and oil. Her hair was clean and brused. It looked rather nice just sitting in waves down to her waist. She never understood why women kept it pinned it up and hidden away beneath hats. She turned to the side inspecting her newly tailored pants and shirt. Her other ones were all permanatley stained. She pondered. She stuck a decorative pin in her hair. Even that much glitter made her feel...fake. She was clueless. She sighed and simply loosened one of the buttons on her blouse, put some extra money in her wallet, and headed out. His carrier was about half a mile away so she took a carriage. She waked the docks spotting the carrier around a corner. It was certainly one of the larger ones and sure enough The Friday hung there it all it's glory. She knew the story of every dent and scrape. Captain Ezra was sort of a hero to her...until she was old enough to race and he had beaten her by only two hundred and fourteen yards. She had always admired the ship and took her time gazing at it when the captain wasn't looking.

"Wot's yer business here?" said a squinty eyed gangly deckhand. Carla snapped out of her trance and sraightened her shoulders. "I am here to speak to your captain" She said "Check the bar, miss. Now get outta ere!" She glared at the little brute but said nothing more. She turned on her heel and headed to the Latitude Bar. It had been over a year since she had been there. Back when she was flying The Buttercup she loved to give her ships the sweetest names she could think of only to trump her opponents in flight. They only laughed at the name (which was "The Cherub") that very first year she raced.

She saw the bar recalling what memories she could muster. A lot were rather fuzzy. She walked inside some of the regulars turning and gazing wide eyed. She felt a little uncomfortable. She hadn't even began to think what rumors had been spreading since she went into seclusion. She walked casually trying to listen in on some of the murmurs that began to buzz.

"Is that Carlotta Depaul? I heard she went mad after her father's death and was institutionalized.
"Yeah. My friend said he was riding by the loony bin and saw her clawing at the window"
"I heard she moved back to France and married a duke.
"A duke?!? Does she seem like the woman who marries a duke?!? She'd more likley wed ol' Ezra there than some scrany duke."
"HA! She wouldn't be likely to smile at the man much less marry him"

She rolled her eyes quite relived that she was a single woman. It appeared the male population hadn't improved much in her absence. Then she saw him, his large shoulders hunched over the bar. Was he sad? Her toes curled beneth her shoes. Did he lose a race?!? She hoped not; that was supposed to be her job. Was The Friday damaged? Impossible. She thought. It was none of her business.

"Why Captain Ezra!" she called as heartily as she could manage. "Just the man I was looking for!" So I can break your nose. she thought. However, when she saw his face, she noticed something....or someone had already done that for her. That had put her in a slightly better mood so her smile was genuine.

"Still getting into trouble are we?"
Last edited by diabolicalxdamsel on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

diabolicalxdamsel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:19 am

Ezra was about to order another measure of whiskey with money he could hardly afford to spare, when someone caught his eye in the rust-flecked mirror behind the bar. It was none other than Carlotta Depaul, the female pilot he'd taken great pleasure in beating to the US Aviation Racing title this year. If he had been in a different situation, he would have taken the opportunity to indulge in a combination of gloating and flirting that he would have enjoyed immensely. As it was, he didn't really feel like it. No doubt she had heard the news and, having emerged from mourning for her father, was going to triumphantly recount how exactly she was going to win every race from next season until the end of the century.

He turned around at the sound of her voice and crossed his arms sceptically. She looked very different to most of the times they'd met. Of course, she wasn't wearing a dress (he didn't think he'd ever seen her wearing one; the aviatrix had a reputation for shunning female fashion) but her trousers and shirt were pressed and well-cut. Her hair was even- Well, it looked nice. Whenever he saw her prior to or just after a race, she was usually oil-streaked, wind-swept and dust-engrained.

"What's that supposed to mean?" he said defensively. "Look, whatever you've heard, it's probably true, so I don't need you here to rub it in, Captain Depaul."

A few people sitting nearby had stopped to watch their exchange.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby diabolicalxdamsel on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:55 am

Her eyebrows perked up. "I certainly haven't heard this news you speak of," She said interestedly taking the seat next to him and ordering a beer with a shot of gin. "but I'd love to hear it. After I share with you my offer..." The fact that he was down on his luck made her spirits lift a little. She wondered if maybe it was some financial problems? Nah! Racing prizes were pretty generous. She had saved nearly all her winnings and still had extra to spend during their voyage. Needless to say, she was quite far from poor. She never had a clue just how rich her father was until she got the inheritance. He saw money as nothing more but a tool to be used only to gather what you needed and nothing more. She took a swig indulging herself a little. The Latitude Bar had some of the best beer she'd ever tasted. She sort of wished she could drink a little more, but she had things to do.

"Whatever you may have heard about me on the other hand is probably far from the truth or so I have gathered" she continued turing a blind eye from his sour face "I've been working on a project. I have built a ship. I plan on taking for a spin you could say. Ten countries that hold the ten suspects I have narrowed down to be my father's possible murderers. I figured I'd drop by and visit them. Show off my ship, have some drinks, hear some stories, and hopefully bring home the murderer dangling by his ankles back here for a proper trial and hopefully imprisonment." She took another swig. 'Wonderful stuff as always.

Now,my ship has the proper means for long distance travel and has been built to weather any kind of weather that we may pass through. However, my ship is rather small and is unable to carry all the needed cargo nor does it have a proper defense system if we run into some company. Your ship seems like a fine vessel to accompany The Scalawag and I have seen it in action. That's the reason it is my first choice. I am a very proud woman, but I am not stupid, so I am asking you first because" She swallowed "Your ship is the best one for the job and" Her jawline went rigid and she clenched her teeth for a moment "You command it quite well so I propose that you and your crew aid me on this journey so the death one of the worlds leading scientist and inventor will be avenged and you will be one of the heroes responsible for it." She was quiet for a moment watching his face.

"I can pay you if need be."
Last edited by diabolicalxdamsel on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diabolicalxdamsel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:45 pm

Ezra turned around properly as he listened to what she had to say, watching her as she became animated, the dim lights of the bar shining in her eyes and off the jewelled pin (even more unusual- the Carla he knew didn't bother with something as superficial as hair ornaments) in her dark hair. To begin with, he didn't believe that she hadn't heard of what had happened to him and The Friday, but as she went on he grew to realise that she actually didn't have a clue. After all, why would she ask him if she knew that bringing him along could possibly attract even more trouble than she'd planned for.

What she was proposing was noble and honourable; hunting down those who were responsible for her father's death. But Ezra had little time for such impracticalities, having dispensed with the little sentimentality he had on the trade winds years before. To him, she sounded mad. What she was attempting was impossible and stupid. He was about to tell her so until he heard that last, beautiful sentence: 'I can pay you, if need be.'

He pretended to think for a few moments.

"All right," he said, finally. "On two conditions. The Friday and I have got ourselves into a little bit of trouble-" So a 'little' bit of trouble was actually a hell of a lot. But she didn't need to know that. "-so at the first place we dock, its shell needs to be rebuilt and renamed. It won't take long; a day or two at the most." He mentally took a deep breath. "But I'm charging seven thousand dollars. In order to make up for the race winnings I won't be able to collect, obviously."

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby diabolicalxdamsel on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:36 pm

She laughed. Her laughter was one of the few girly traits she had. It chimed brightly. "You say the ship has run into trouble as if that's an uncommon thing" She arched a brow a dimple forming at the corner of her mouth as it formed into it's trademark crooked smirk. "My, My... race winnings sure have soared this past year." she said her voice still thick with amusement. "Ezra, you should know by now that it's nearly impossible to lie to me." It was an odd phenomenon, but these two rivals seemed to know each other better than most. Perhaps it was because they were so alike. Carla noticed it from time to time, but shook it off. She was nothing like him at all. She would tell herself. She just knew her enemies. "Whatever danger there is should be no trouble to manage. I have a couple of passengers new to the skies. Soft little things they are. They need a little fun, and I certainly do too. Been stuck on the ground all year long" She pulled out her wallet, fingers separating the bills. "As for your payment...I'm afraid I only have a thousand on me now...a thousand and ten to be exact, but I still have to pay the driver, buy some bread, and of course tip this wonderful bartender." She handed him the thousand. "How about this...I pay you the other twenty five hundred before we take off and pay you the other thirty five hundred when we return." By the looks of it, his handsome face depended on that money. She was quite glad too otherwise it would be harder to keep him in line. "Oh and takeoff is next week. If you're still interested I'll send some men up to pack your ship in a few days.

"So do we have a deal, friend?" she said smiling and extending a hand. "Batard, debile, fils de pute, bite.... she thought.

diabolicalxdamsel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:12 am

Ezra could not help but grin. She had professed to being able to see straight through his half-hearted half-truth and yet she had still agreed to give him every cent of what he had asked for. Either she had more money than sense (which was entirely likely, if her old man had been as wealthy as rumoured) or she had known that his predicament was a serious one and had taken pity on him. Though the latter thought stung a little, Ezra didn't care either way. By the end of this year, he and The Friday were going scot-free, provided Vanderburg didn't get too het up about his 'insurance' flying straight out of Manhattan Airdock.

He took the wad of notes from her. "We have a deal," he said, shaking her hand. One seventh of the way there...

"Your men can pack up the ship as soon as you like, but, er... make sure they do it without attracting much attention. It's probably best that The Friday doesn't look as if it's about to set off," he said, off-handedly. He stood up, putting a handful of change from his pocket on the bar top and pulling his jacket on. He was interested to see exactly what cargo Carla wanted to take with her and exactly who these green flyers on board her ship were. Despite himself, he was looking forward to the unknown of the next three months after half a year of mostly flying shipping runs.

"Anyway," he said, as he turned to go. "What do you know about race winnings, Captain? You actually have to win one before you start making money from them." The last few words of his parting shot hung in the cool air as he opened the door to the bar and went out into the late afternoon, back to The Friday.

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby diabolicalxdamsel on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm

"Oh my boys can pull that off I sure" She said thoughtfully followed by an enigmatic smile.

Her mouth opened a closed for a moment and was going to remind him that she'd beaten him FOUR times. He'd beaten her eight, but that was beside the point. "Ooooh!" She finished her drink and tipped the tender making sure she was gone before he could thank her. That was always embarrassing. She didn't belive she should be thanked for something they earned. She finshed her errands, went back to the ship, ranted to Iggy, and prepared her crew to pack

The following morning, captain would wake up to some strange goings on, but nothing looking like he was packing. First there was a gigantic pink box with a large white bow. If he was being spied upon, his bemused expression would dissipate any suspicions on his departure. There was an envelope on the box with the captain's name on it.
Six more days.
I plan to depart around seven o' clock in the morning. The Scalawag will be parked at the docks by then so meet me in front of it so I can pay you before we leave. Please knock if I am not there. Don't invive yourself in. I will not have filth on my ship. Do behave until then and don't get yourself into any further trouble. It may be a bit late to find a replacement. All sorts of interesting things will happen today so do not get riled up. You wanted me to be sneaky about loading the ship and so I shall be. Happy Birthday

~CFD

PS: You may want to open your gift after you take it inside unless you want to show off your shiny new ammo. I tossed in a few new guns in there as well.

Sure enough, people arrived all day with gifts. Some of the women even had food stored underneath their skirts. By the end of the day, his dock would be filled with various sized gifts filled with food and ammunition. Due to his fame, Carla didn't think a his "birthday" would raise an alarm.

Everything was just about ready. All she could do now was wait.
Last edited by diabolicalxdamsel on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diabolicalxdamsel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:18 pm

Back on board The Friday, Czeslaw the first mate was suprised to see Ezra appear at the end of the gangplank. Not only because the captain had been gone only half an hour but because the younger man had a wide grin on his face.

"Halt the preparations for launch, Czes," said Ezra, clapping the bear of a man on his shoulder and gesturing to a deckhand who was reeling in the fenders from the side of the ship. "Luke, let them back down; I've been saved!"

"If one of them Jehovahs came up to you in the bar, sir, then-" began Czes, confusion and cautious optimism crinkling his heavy brow.

"Come off it. I've just spoken to Carla Depaul. You know, that half-French aviatrix who we used to race against." Csez looked blank. "The one with the legs?" Recognition dawned over the Pole's features.

"Oh, yeah now I remember Capt'n. What did she say?"

Ezra launched into an enthusiastic retelling of the exchange between himself and Carla, littering the account with the occasional expression of disbelief at exactly how he'd managed to get away with asking for such an exortionate amount of money.

"I dunno, Czes, it sounds likes she actually needs The Friday. Or thinks she needs it. I don't know what kind of trouble she's expecting on this extended holiday..." He grinned. "But I guess I'm going to find out."

"Right you are, Capt'n," said Czes, who was beaming now. He'd known Ezra had a knack for getting himself out of a tight corner but no corner had been tighter, nor any escape more seemingly out of the blue than this one. "I'll inform the rest of the crew then, sir?"

The next morning. Ezra stood on deck, looking at the pink, bow-ornamented box with scepticism. He carefully removed the note from the top, and held it at arm's length with great suspicion. Having read its contents, he folded it up and shoved it into his back pocket, glaring at Sam, the ship's cook, and Airedale, the engineer, as they attempted (unsuccessfully) to supress sniggers at their Captain's unexpected gift.

"I thought Valentine's was next year, Ezra. You din't tell me about no sweetheart..." said Airedale, who was twice Ezra's age, having known him as a young boy, and insisted on calling him by his first name no matter what his rank.

"Oh, shut up and help me get this inside," he said, bending down to pry his fingers underneath an edge of the surprisingly heavy box. "It's a birthday present. And I can't open it if we're out in the open."

"What? I've known you since you were a youn' deckhand, spending all day on your arse and elbows scrubbin' the deckplates. Your birthday's in December lad," he said, picking up the other side as Sam rolled up his sleeves and took a hold of the far corner. "I always said I dunno how you can 'ave a birthday so close to the babe Jesus and yet grow up to be such a stubborn bastard. Patience is a virtue, I always said-"

Ezra ignored him and manuvered the box inside the control cabin. As he opened the crate underneath the garish wrapping paper, even Airedale stopped to look. Scores of shot for the guns on the lower deck, steam-propelled self-winding grapelling hooks, powder and stacks of the air-bourne torpedos they powered... And, on top of the pile, a dozen rifles of the newest model.

"Right, I think there might be a few more birthday presents being delivered today, courtesy of Miss Depaul, so take them down below deck when they arrive," said Ezra, slightly taken-back by the contents of the crate. Christ, she was paranoid.

"Happy birthday, lad..." muttered Airedale, eyeing what looked like a pair of cylinder compression boosters for the ships engines with a newfound enthusiasm.

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby diabolicalxdamsel on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:03 am

Carla stood on the rope net leading up to the crow's nest watching the city below. The sun was barely peeking over the horizion giving the fading night sky a tint of dark blue and purple. Free at last, she thought closing her eyes. It was the morning of takeoff. The ship was fuled, the detective and the nurse were going to meet them at the docks, The Friday had everything packed or at least she thought so. She trusted Captain Ezra, he was scum, but trustworthy scum, espically with four thousand dollars dangling over his head. A grin crossed her lips. she sent a note saying to meet her at dock twelve. She looked forward to his expression whenever they landed. She leapt, fell several yards, caught the rope, and repeated until she was down. It was quite early, but every fiber in her being buzzed with adrenaline. She went to thr front staring at the wheel and the levers. She pressed a button, flipped a switch, and spoke into the funnel her voice echoing out across the cool, hazy morning:

"To your stations, gents! Quickly now before Starbuck gets a hold of you! Ignatius, turn on the fuel engagers, prepare for takeoff, men! Brace yourselves, this baby has more torque than you can dream of! We'll be at the docks in five minutes! Everyone ready?"

To some it would be a waste of fuel, but Carla saw it as the first and only test spin. Some would think that was an insane move on her behalf but such feats were notorius and genetic. "It just works better if you know you have just one shot" her father said. The fundamental root of her life was Learn, Practice, Practice, Practice, and Do. If it goes wrong, learn again, if it goes wrong again, you didn't prctice enough, and if it goes wrong after that, try a different endeavor.

Her hand moved the the third handle on the right. It trembled for a moment. She exhaled. Inhaled. Exhaled. The other hand grasped the wheel tightly. She knew she had done it right and being a beliver in fate she figured if the ship broke down, she didn't have a chance. However she had the ship, the crew, the muscle, and the bodygaurd. Things should have gone wrong much earlier. Her breathed trembed through the tubing into the engine room "This is it, friend."

diabolicalxdamsel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Paprika on Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:12 pm

It was a pleasant morning. The docks buzzed with activity, voices blurring into a strangely comforting drone, underscoring the shimmering, yet lazy qualities of the gradually strengthening sunlight. A breeze whistled through the air, passing suited men, corseted ladies, and messy engineers alike. All seemed happy to be out this morning, whatever their purpose in the docks.

Delia rubbed her tired eyes with equally listless fingers, her hair lifting slightly over her face in the wind. She was exhausted. It was odd, seeing as how she had ensured a good night's sleep, but she was too tired to think today. She cursed herself for it, she truly did. This would be a terrible impression to make on the crew. The girl knew she could last the voyage, but today was simply not the best of days. All her belongings were on the ship already, so she supposed that her personal items and working equipment were two less things to fret over.

Looking around, attempting to defy her short stature - rather, standing on a box to see over peoples' heads - she attempted to find the captain.
anything.can.happen

Paprika
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby diabolicalxdamsel on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:02 pm

The ship was LIFTING! Cara laughed and hollered maneuvering the ship upwards, gripped the wheel and pulled a lever. The vessel literally charged into the sky. Carla felt invincible right then and there. She dreamed it, shared it, designed it, and now it was as real as her rapidly beating heart. She slowed it down and cruised it above the city and above the onlookers below. It was all grace and quiet despite it's appearance. It moved as much as she turned the wheel. She couldn't wipe the grin off her face or dull the glitter n her eyes. This was all happening. "Thank you, Iggy" she said breathlessly over her speaker as they made their way to the docks.

She was like a little girl just giggling and bouncing. She pulled out a spy glass from her belt to get a better look at the docks and sure enough it seemed the whole Latitude Bar and various crew gathered to see what was coming. "Prepare for landing, gents!" she called slowing down and circling around. Dock twelve was sitting and ready. She aimed the front down, turned the boosters off and turned up the hot air in the balloons. They floated down gently in a stunning quietude. She exhaled a sigh of relief. Everything was working perfectly. She ordered the men to set down a ladder for Miss Allegra. She grabbed a rope and dove off, the rope not tightening until she was about five feet above the ground. She jumped off and ran to Delia her face glowing and her heart still pounding. There was some applause but she was too dizzy with adrenaline to realize it a first. "How did it look?" she said breathlessly ignoring the buzz around her.

diabolicalxdamsel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chronepsis on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:47 pm

It had been overwhelming. So much new information in such a short amount of time had sent Alex's head reeling. He had kept his composure through the tour of the ship's impressive sub-decks and mechanisms, as well as the short toast the captain had given, and even long enough to keep his word and help Miss Delia with her belongings, but afterwards he had had to excuse himself to his quarters. He lay on his bunk, eyes closed, merely letting his mind wander freely. That was one thing he couldn't stand about others, other detectives in particular. They would try to force their minds to follow certain paths and stay on certain subjects, not letting them work as they will. That was part of what made him the best.

Alex was thrown abruptly from his thoughts as the vessel lurched skywards. Grasping the wall for support, Alex made his way to the upper decks. Upon reaching the deck, however, he felt rather silly for bracing himself in the event of more turbulence, as he saw that the ship had been moving since the initial lurch. Alex stood there, mouth agape as he watched the vessel being deftly handled, then brought back to a gentle landing. He had never traveled by anything other than land based means. Adjusting his glasses, Alex deliberately closes his mouth and walks to the ship's railing as he sees the Captain dive from the side of the ship.
Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie. Passion rules reason. The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason.

Chronepsis
Member for 16 years
Conversationalist Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:48 pm

"It looks like a pile of junk," said Ezra from behind her. "But hey, looks aren't everything."

The aviator had seen The Scalawag coming whilst on the deck of The Friday making the final preparatory checks for launch. There had been a few exclamations amongst the crew at the speed and agility of the ship that had quickly dissolved into muttered laughter at its external appearance. It wasn't that it was ugly; it just looked as if it had been bolted together from parts of other dead and dying airships and then electrocuted back into life. The Friday, whilst far more unwieldy and difficult to control for even Ezra who had been flying it for years, at least had an elegance about it that made it look as if it belonged in the air.

In reality, he had not failed to be a little impressed but he sure as hell wasn't going to let Carla know that.

He noticed her companion; a petite woman standing on a box, the top of her head still barely level with Ezra's shoulder.

Suppressing a grin, he extended his hand to her.

"Captain Ezra Blake," he said, taking off his battered hat.

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Paprika on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:07 pm

"How did it look?"

Carla arrived in spectacular fashion, diving off the ship in a whirl of excited shouts and adventurous motions. Delia almost felt need to applaud the Captain as she approached, her face sunny, her overall demeanour aching to get going on this, her grand adventure.

"Wonderful, Captain," Delia gave a similar beam in response, "and it seems to be the finest of days for a voyage to begin. Let us hope that this heralds things to come for the Scalawag." Eyes wandering over the contraption, she could not help noticing the detective. At least, it seemed to be him... yes, it was, as her mechanical eye confirmed with but a short, sharp magnification effort. She cast a wave to him, before her attention was stolen by another, much closer figure.

"Captain Ezra Blake."

The male stood before her now removed his rather tatty hat. Delia was not sure of his identity, so treated him with her usual good-natured conversation. Extending a hand to the rather tall fellow, she looked at him amiably, her eyes meeting his fluid green gaze for a moment as she introduced herself.

"Delia Allegra," she smiled softly. "It's good to meet you, Captain." She then looked towards Carla. It was clear the wind had stolen his earlier remark towards her. "Is he a friend of yours, Captain?"

Paprika
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby diabolicalxdamsel on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:20 pm

Carla smiled. "It certainly does" she said. Some of the crew ran down to help load anything she had. "I think you're going to enjoy taking of, but I'd advise you to grab ahold of something." The corners of that smile twitched a little as Captain Ezra squirmed his way into the conversation.

"Right you are Captain, what it lacks in unnecessary and limiting decor, you will see it makes up tenfold in speed and ingenuity. I do hope your vessel can keep up, but we can always slow down if you need us to."

Carla turned back to Delia. "Hardly, madame." She said cheerfully. "He and his crew have been hired to be our muscle and cargo hold so don't fear buying too many souveniers, The Friday has plenty of room. Oh! I almost forgot, Captain.

She reached into her blouse with a unanimous gasp by many of the gathering onlookers "Well proper breeches should have pockets!" she retorted pulling out a white envelope. "Half your earnings like I promised."

She gestured to the ladder "Ready for takeoff, Madame Allegra?" She turned back to Ezra. You should get your crew ready for takeoff, Captian. It's hardly the time to chit chat with my team."

And with that, she was climbing the rope back up the side of the vessel

"FAREWELL, EVERYONE! I WILL RETURN WITH ANTOINE DEPAUL'S MURDERER AND THEY WILL BE PROSECUTED PROPERLY!" Now that everyone knew what was gong on, the whole dock was in a roar off applause. "SEE YOU IN A FEW MONTHS!"

With that she was as the wheel again calling her crew to their stations.

diabolicalxdamsel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:30 pm

"We've been ready for take-off the last four days," shot back Ezra, taking the envelope off her and thumbing through the wad of notes inside. He wouldn't have put it past her to try and cheat him out of a few hundred dollars. He grinned at the scandalised onlookers and put it in his own pocket before turning back to Carla's companion.

"She's got a talent for dramatics, hasn't she?" he shouted over Carla's proclamations of the fulfilment of justice and the shallow applause of the crowd. "Shame about the piloting. If you ever want a break from that flying scrapyard, Miss Allegra, you know where to find me," he added, idly flirtatious.

With that he turned and went back to the gangplank of The Friday, calling to his engineer as he went.

"Engines ready, Airedale?"

"Roaring, Ezra!" came his voice through the brass-tubed intercom.

"Sails rigged and spread?"

A host of replies were shouted up from the deck.

"Good..." he muttered to himself, standing at the controls inside the little cabin at the bow of the ship. "Here we go..."

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Paprika on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:14 pm

"Hardly, madame. He and his crew have been hired to be our muscle and cargo hold so don't fear buying too many souveniers, The Friday has plenty of room."

Delia gave a short, sincere laugh, acknowledging the comment with a nod. She didn't think she'd be buying any souveniers, though. There probably wouldn't be time. Seeing as she was there for doctoring purposes and little more, she had decided to herself that she'd offer her services wherever Carla saw fit. The crew would not be ill all the time. She hoped, anyway. It'd be a shame for any of them to become sick for long periods of time.

"Ready for takeoff, Madame Allegra?"

The girl nodded eagerly, but her response was silenced by a quick, snapped answer from Ezra. He and Carla had an odd relationship, it seemed. Delia did not doubt for a moment that this was simply one of work, not of friendship. He then turned to her with a much more pleasant tone.

"She's got a talent for dramatics, hasn't she? Shame about the piloting. If you ever want a break from that flying scrapyard, Miss Allegra, you know where to find me."

"Thank you, Captain," she smiled politely, before turning to the ladder Carla had previously pointed out. Pacing up it, she explained to the crew that had arrived previously that she didn't have much to carry now.

Stepping onto the deck, she peered over the side to see the crowds on the ground, all of them watching the ship with keen eyes, and similar interest. It was wonderful up there, but there were too many gulls for Delia's liking. Eyeing them nervously, she then approached Alex, giving him a smile.

"All ready for the journey?" she asked, making small conversation before the ship's departure. She grabbed the side of the ship in anticipation, not liking the idea of being flung across the deck should Carla decide to leave without telling them again. A lot of the crew were still running about.

Paprika
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chronepsis on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:03 pm

"I am, and yourself, Miss Allegra? I hope your accommodations are suitable. Is there anything you need retrieved, ashore or on deck?" Alex seemed to prattle on as though he were her personal butler, but his words were thick with sincerity. He brings his elbow up to the railing and places his chin in his hands, looking at Delia. "I have never been on a journey by aircraft. Have you?" After a cursory glance at Delia's hands on the railing, however, Alex shakes his head. "No, I suppose you haven't either. Well, it would seem this is one experience of many we shall share."

His eyes turn back to the city below, and a far away look comes across them. His body is held as though ready to listen intently, but his face shows he is deep in thought. His glasses hang precariously on the tip of his nose, but Alex is looking over the top of them, at the rooftops below. "I suppose this will be the last time I shall see this city for a long while."

Chronepsis
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Paprika on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:23 pm

"I am, and yourself, Miss Allegra? I hope your accommodations are suitable. Is there anything you need retrieved, ashore or on deck?"

Delia smiled slightly, quite bemused at his kindness. Never before had she met anyone quite as courteous as him. Declining, she waved one hand, before using it to sweep a few tendrils of red hair from her face.

"I am very well, thank you," she assured him, "though more tired than I would like to be at the moment. And don't worry, everything I need is on board. Thank you very much for the offer. I will try to repay your kindness where it is seen fit."

"I have never been on a journey by aircraft. Have you?"

Though asking a question, he did not give her a moment to reply.

"No, I suppose you haven't either. Well, it would seem this is one experience of many we shall share."

"You're right," she said quietly. "Odd, seeing as my father was an engineer himself." Delia spoke no more, for she felt a certain pondering air about the male at that moment. He turned his gaze to the city, eyes darting over each rooftop in turn, his mind seemingly occupied by some unknown matter. The girl found herself surprised when he did speak - he had given the impression that he was deep within thought.

"I suppose this will be the last time I shall see this city for a long while."

"Yes," the monotonous reply she gives feels incorrect. "Will you miss it?"

Delia continually took short glances over her shoulder at the captain, ensuring she'd be ready to move should it be needed. They'd be leaving at any moment. Of course, she did so discreetly - she did not want to look ignorant, after all.

Paprika
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chronepsis on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:54 pm

"The city, yes. The aspects I deal with, no. I'm worried more about whether the city will miss me. I don't mean to come off as arrogant, but as one of the best detectives in the world, I've been able to keep the city fairly crime-free and prosperous on reputation alone. I only wonder what will happen when word spreads that I am gone." As he turns his gaze back to Delia, Alex's face looks oddly aged and haggard.

As though snapping out of a daze, Alex clears his throat and pushes his glasses back up his nose. "Hmm...well...yes..." He turns to face the rest of the ship, hooking his elbows over the rail and leaning his back against it. "How about you? Will you miss the city? Or do you miss your home? I can ascertain facts, emotions and thoughts are much more difficult." Alex casts a sidelong look at Delia.

Chronepsis
Member for 16 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!