Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Should You Delete Old Characters?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Should You Delete Old Characters?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RedRaine on Tue May 24, 2011 3:56 am

Question. When a roleplay is long since dead, and I mean loooooooooong since dead, should you delete the character associated with it off your profile? I see a lot of people have them on still but I end up questioning to whether that is sentiment or supineness. <- That means laziness. I just wanted a sweet rhyme.

Should you make do with the old to bring in the new? Or keep and horde every little thing in fear of it being lost to your memory? Would you, let's say, delete the character off the profile but save the data on a note in your computer? Should you? Why not? Have you even thought about it before now?

Also... Another point: there are times when I like a character so much that I'll delete where it came from originally but I'll touch it up a bit and move it to the multiverse character box stock. This way that same character now has his/her, most likely her for me, own story and can now function on it's own without the base of the original roleplay. Would you do the same? Have you even thought about it?
~Still trying to fit all of my dreams in a pokeball.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

RedRaine
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Greeter Concierge

Re: Should You Delete Old Characters?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Crow on Tue May 24, 2011 9:52 am

I have thought about this many a time, actually. I have a few characters who I would like to touch up and insert in the multi-verse myself, but that's where the laziness kicks in, along with a little decisiveness. I say indecisiveness, because I can't decide if I should reform their profile to be their own character, or if I should leave it be. The only reason I would choose to leave it be is because I would have a bit of a hard time replacing a detail about the character that I put in the profile just for that specific story. It would be even harder if that one detail was one of the things that also gave my character some of its charm.

That's all just me, though.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Mr. Crow
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GreenSweatshirtGal on Tue May 24, 2011 9:44 pm

For me, it usually depends on how long the RP lasted, quality of the bio, and age of the character. If the character was in an RP that never started/only lasted a couple of days, had a relatively unloved bio, and was a character I invented specifically for that RP (as I do most of the time unless the RP I'm in is my own), then I'd probably delete it if my profile was running out of character preview box things.

However, if the RP lasted a good amount of time (as with Lila), had bios I was proud of (as with Redemption of the Witch, especially Olathe & Cariad since they're also old characters of mine), and/or are bios featuring old OCs of mine (as with A Field and Maple Manor), then I'll usually keep the bios around unless I need to do some deleting to make current characters visible.

If I do delete a character, though, I usually try to re-create them and shove them in another 'series' of mine, just 'cause I love having billions of characters. Also, in a weird twist, sometimes I'll make profiles for characters but never submit them 'cause spaces or full or I know I don't have the time to commit to the RP...and I'll treat them as a deleted character and shove them into a 'series' somewhere. (:

I still like to look at old bios, though, so I always bookmark the RPs I was in. From there I just alter the url to get to my character's bio, since I apparently have the uncanny ability to remember the names of all of my characters EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRR and stuff.

If they ever make a feature that lets you change what order your characters are in, then I plan on making a profile that'll feature links to every character I've ever made a bio for on this site, deleted or not. I'd do it now, but my OCD would bother me for not having it in the first slot and stuff. Yeah.

My Ballin' RPs:
A Field :: A Field + You + Testing
Lila :: TWEWY + Inception + Higurashi + LOST + Almighty Beings + MAGIC BALLS + Crossovers + LSD
Maple Manor :: Maid Outfits + RPG Rules + Plumbing

GreenSweatshirtGal
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby silverclawedmouse on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:00 pm

I agree with Green, for the most part. If I don't care about the character, I save them in a Word Document on my computer and then 'abandon' them. They may never get used again, but I save everything I write, in its own little folder. If its a character I love, I keep them up for a while. In fact, yesterday I was 'cleaning the house' and deleting older characters and finally got rid of one I've had for over a year, even though the RP she was in died months ago.

I like it when others keep a few characters around. That way, if I'm going to RP with them, I can check out their old characters and see what they're like. In some cases I'm impressed and in others I am slightly repulsed.

silverclawedmouse
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Completionist

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!