Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Spiritual development, how did it happen to you?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Spiritual development, how did it happen to you?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 pm

I was thinking on my own spiritual development and wondered where did it start? how did it develop? why? and thought that maybe it would be an interesting subject for discussion as we each talk of our experiences.

I shall start with myself.

When young age my father raised me to believe in the mythic creatures such as faeries, magic and other mythic creatures. The viking sagas and gods along with the world of Tolkin where a major factor in this early sense of spirituality mainly out of my father's love of nature and paganism. I remember in School when asked about thoughts of belief a friend of mine replied she believed in god while i replied that i believed in Odin and the Stars (pissed of some teachers who saw this as unjewish behavior)

Much of my early spiritual identity was similar to the belief in the tooth fairy and santa and as i grew up i grew out of such thoughts however these ideas formed the biases of my future sense of spirituality.

I don't know exactly what happened next but the major step in my spiritual development was when i wrote about it here at one of two threads. I am tired so i will call it quits for today, i might expand later on this.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Spiritual development, how did it happen to you?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:12 pm

My grandmother committed suicide when I was four. That's my earliest memory, so it left an impression. The sorts of problems my classmates dealt with were different than mine. I respected the process, but eventually got bored of competing for honours. I thirsted after a certain kind of knowledge that they don't really teach in public school.

I found Internet forums over a decade ago, and when I went to university for philosophy, I discovered that I had learned a lot more on Internet forums than I ever did in the classroom. I dropped out on several occasions, until I learned my lesson for good. Spiritual development requires experiences: how can one discuss freedom when s/he has never been in prison? The simplest philosophical problems require experience to answer.

As I have the same mental illness that killed my grandmother, I get locked away a lot.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saarai on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:11 am

My mother's family has been a traditionally Muslim family since the early 1900s from what I understand. I was raised as a Muslim, as were my siblings and many of my cousins. My father's family is Christian and Jewish. Though my father was Muslim as well, but I got to experience his family's Christianity and the few practicing Jewish members of his family as well.

That started me on my path to know more and more about different faiths, it was until 9/11 that my views evolved even more. The attacks didn't prompt me to give up Islam, but the debates and backlash towards Islam and the debates about religion made me want to find a religion that was right for me.

Eventually it just led to Atheism. The more I learned about religions and their histories the more I didn't want to be associated with them.

Curiosity really got me to develop spiritually. Who knows where I would be if I didn't like to learn new things.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Saarai
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilverInk on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:07 pm

I myself was raised Roman Catholic, most of my extended family is Roman Catholic. Expect for two uncles which are Jewish and the other Baptist. Personally I am not that big on religion in my life I do go to church on the occasion, I went through religious education up until 11th grade. My mother's parents are very religious and when we visit on the occasional Sunday we do go to church.

My father's side of the family does not practice religion as much aside from one aunt. It is rather humorous though considering everytime we do go to to church my dad's excuse was that he went to church enough during his childhood. I do find my faith comforting when I am in need of help.

As far religions going I have always found myself fasinated with the subject itself. I loved learning of ancient religions such as Egyptain,Greek,Roman as well as Aztec, Myan and other cultures. Many of my freinds are of various religions; Muslim, Hindu,Buddist,Baptist,Catholic,Athiest even more recently I have learned about Wicca from a practicing freind. It is always interesting hearing about their ideals and experiences. The idea of me not being able to learn from others religion is a depressing one. I enjoy variety in my life in all its forms.

SilverInk
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shi-chan on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:27 pm

As long as I can remember, my dad's worn a Thor's hammer around his neck. He used to tell me all the stories about the gods, and he explained to me that they weren't real. It was just a clever and entertaining way to teach me how to be a nice person. I connected the dots like he'd expected and understood that when Loki did some stupid shit, he had to go and make it right, like in the story where he cuts all the hair off Sif's head, and has to go get some new made of real gold for her.

I remember when my distaste of christanity began. It was during the first time we were taught about religion, and out teacher asked us all what we believed in. Most of the others just answered "God" and said that it was because their parents believed in that.

I said Odin. The teacher just moved on, my answer was as valid as all the other ones, but after that class, on of the others came up to me and said the following:

"If you don't believe in God, you don't belong in this country, it's for christians."

I just sat there and looked at him like he was crazy. The stuff he said made no sense to me. When I told my dad what he'd said, he just laughed and hugged me. I think of myself as an atheist, but I still remember every single one of those stories.

Shi-chan
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!