Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Artificial Age

The Artificial Age

a part of “The Artificial Age”, a fictional universe by OmegaSyndrome.

After a disease that wiped out most living things on Earth, civilization repaired itself by creating sanitary domes. Because of the shortage of life, a lab called CyberX released a series of very human-like androids. Welcome to the year 3010.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Artificial Age”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] The Artificial Age

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OmegaSyndrome on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:21 am

http://www.roleplaygateway.com/roleplay/the-artificial-age/

We are officially done with the editing. Please check the Intro for the latest updates and JOIN!!!

Thank you guys for all the attention!!
Last edited by OmegaSyndrome on Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

OmegaSyndrome
Member for 14 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] The Artificial Age

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Soviet Rei on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Are you still working on this, or is the RP going to start?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Soviet Rei
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SheaTeal on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:08 pm

Seriously, this sounds awesome... Do we just do our best or do we have to follow a CS?

SheaTeal
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:15 pm

This is definitely and interesting concept. Im looking forward to seeing what the fully developed version looks like.

zhill
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cypher on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:15 pm

I see much potential in this. I'm willing to join, when we're all ready and willing to go.
From the depths, I return!

Cypher
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OmegaSyndrome on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:00 am

Thanks guys! I'm a bit busy at the moment but I will be putting up a character skeleton soon so PLEASE just wait a few more days and this will be up and running!!
Also, I have a crap load of pictures to put up so the places can look all nice and pretty.
But start brainstorming because we're accepting soon

OmegaSyndrome
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentAnthem on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:57 pm

Hey guys!
This is SilentAnthem, the co-creator of The Artificial Age. I'm so glad to see all the responses we're getting. It's so cool! This rp is still under construction, but we're working hard and fast to get things going. Again, if you guys have any questions or comments just send either me or OmegaSyndrome a pm and we'll respond ASAP. We will review any and all writing submissions and will pass judgement in due time. Thanks!

SilentAnthem~

SilentAnthem
Member for 14 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Just PM'ed.

Kinda need a response before I can submit a character so that I know how to frame it right.

And still looking forward to see what this develops into!

zhill
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Soviet Rei on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Edited my character and added the character skeleton in.

Soviet Rei
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OmegaSyndrome on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Zhill, who did you send the PM to? I didn't get one.

OmegaSyndrome
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:36 am

I sent it to SilentAnthem, but just sent it to you as well.

zhill
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:03 am

ps - i am definitely interested in joining.

zhill
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OmegaSyndrome on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:11 am

sweet! thanks, Zhill.

btw, I'm going to put up some pics of gemstones so you'll know what they look like.
and also, if you're playing an android remember their eyes are the same color as the dome they were made in.
so mine is from Ametrine--purple/gold eyes

OmegaSyndrome
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentAnthem on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:59 am

Ok so just a reminder of some key details:
1)These are androids. Not robots. They're made to be almost completely like humans. Some can have flaws though, if they are defective, but that must be clarified either in the character info or the story itself. Preferably both.
2)All androids represent their dome of creation (or birthplace, if you prefer) by their eye color, i.e., Selenite=silver eyes.
3)Even though this is post-apocalyptic, the domes are very posh and high-tech. Everything in the "sky" is a hologram. The dome is pretty much just one giant screen and very life-like images of clouds and such are shown on it to make the world seem more natural.

I will post more corrections as I see problems arise. But for now, I think everyone knows what's going on. These were just some things I thought people might be a little foggy on.

SilentAnthem
Member for 14 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:43 am

The question I have right now (I am sure I will have more later) is this: How sealed are the domes? I understand due to the disease that humans dont travel, but what about Androids? Because wouldnt we all have to be from the same dome if there is no traveling? I think I am also misunderstanding the size of these domes (i was thinking just the size of a large city).

I know that seems like 3 questions, but think of it instead as one question in 2 parts! XP

Thanks

zhill
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:01 am

PS to my question - By "android" I am guessing we are safe to go with the wikipedia definition (An android is a robot or synthetic organism designed to look and act like a human.) which would lead me to assume that these androids are basically the same as Asimovian robots right? (as if you can talk about robotics and NOT mention Asimov) Which leads to another question: will there be an equivalent of the three laws or perhaps using them directly, or will there not be a prime code of morality for robots?

zhill
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentAnthem on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:50 pm

The domes are very sealed. With the spread of mactibilisplasmosis, people became very, very paranoid. The domes are as secure as possible so no air can get in or out. Humans travel only if they absolutely have to. Androids can travel, since they are immune to disease. But there never is any need for so much travel to take place because all of the domes are self sufficient. There may be conferences which are held in a designated dome, but people don't usually make frequent trips to other domes for fun. Transportation to other domes is done by special planes. They are kept in an air lock. Boarding is done there. The contaminated air is sucked out through a vacuum so that no one gets infected. The domes themselves are very large. Like it says in the intro, they can hold nearly 7 million people.

The androids are synthetic. They are made to look and act like humans. The A-275s can't express every human emotion which is what sets them apart form humans. Otherwise, they have gotten so advanced that it is very hard to distinguish them from humans at first glance...or even a second glance. The A-290s are even more advanced in that scientists took it a step further and actually tried to make them into synthetic humans; replacing the electrical nervous system with a bio-synthetic one and giving them a bio-synthetic brain instead of a computer chip, as well. Scientists want to know how they function in society, if they can reproduce with each other and/or humans, how their minds function (can they think abstract?). They are very different from Asimov's robots because he had the idea that they were cold, hard, machines completely under the control of humans. These androids are very close to being fully sentient creatures. They will not follow Asimov's laws of robotics because they have the ability to think (although on a slightly lower level than humans). They have the ability to act on their own and follow a "will". Remember, this is 1000 years in the future so technology has been able to advance to the point where artificial intelligence is becoming the norm. The androids will follow all of the same laws that humans have to follow to live in a peaceful society. They are pretty much treated like humans with the understanding that they aren't human.

I hope this cleared up some of the questions you had. Let us know if there's anything else.

SilentAnthem
Member for 14 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OmegaSyndrome on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:15 pm

Think about 1000 years ago vs now.
1000 years later will be very different. Think of the androids as man-made humans.
Also...I was thinking (and remember, SA, we talked about this...) The people can travel via underground tubes. Completely germ free and extremely fast.
Like she said, people don't really have to travel that much. The domes are pretty much identical. Traveling to other domes is required for meetings...but those are rather rare. With the technology they have, they can pretty much see each other in person...but as holograms.
If you guys have any ideas as to how they can travel, feel free to share.

gotta run. Be back later.

OmegaSyndrome
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:45 am

Thanks on the clarification on Androids and the Domes.

My only question now (and I admit that i have one just at this time, there are no guarantees about the future) is how is the group going to get together if we have no reason to travel? I mean is most of the interaction in the RP supposed to be through hologram communicators or what? Maybe I am getting into things that are further down the RP road than introductory posting. I am just trying to really wrap my mind around the setting so that the character which I have presented to you two (char sheet coming in 24hrs or less i promise!!!) can be put in to the setting in a way that is consistent with the world and the plot.

Thanks

zhill
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OmegaSyndrome on Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:33 pm

If you're playing a character in another dome besides Selenite, you will most likely interact via holograms. Although you could always migrate over in the future.

I updated the intro with more information but if there's anything you would like to add, please go ahead.

OmegaSyndrome
Member for 14 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!