Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Controversial KIA Add Does it go over what is acceptable

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Does KIA add go too far?

Hell Yes, this is beyond distasteful.
No votes
Freedom of speech, even if I don't agree with it.
14%
I just think it was a mistake to release.
86%

Total votes : 7

The Controversial KIA Add Does it go over what is acceptable

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 pm

This advert by KIA has come into question whether it promotes paedophilia.

Before showing picture give thoughts of the add in questions. My thoughts are that the advertising agency should have kept this ad out. It's angered people more as it's won awards. Many are outraged on this. They really don't give idea of what being sold, it doesn't really make sense and if they wished to be subtle could have done it in a way that's more tasteful.

So what is your opinions?
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: The Controversial KIA Add Does it go over what is accept

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sarcasm on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:05 pm

I understand the whole Freedom of Speech thing, but surely they would have known it wouldn't have had great ratings as soon as they thought"Hey, little girl on one side,hot older girl on the other."

Not the WORST thing I've seen on Ads, but ya.....it's not exactly great. I agree with you they probably should have used a different idea, maybe thought it through a bit more. But hopefully KIA learns from this just like most companies( not all!) do with their mistakes.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sarcasm
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:42 pm

I don't see the problem.

You should probably add a poll option for people like me.

Oh, and the whole "promoting pedophilia" argument is just dumb.
Alternative roleplaying forums, chat, and Etherpad

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr_Doomed on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:42 pm

Fallacy wrote:Oh, and the whole "promoting pedophilia" argument is just dumb.

Would you be so kind as to explain?

Oh and I just noticed the poll seems a little one sided.
“I have wrestled with death. It is the most unexciting contest you can imagine. It takes place in an impalpable greyness, with nothing underfoot, with nothing around, without spectators, without clamour, without glory, without the great desire of victory, without the great fear of defeat, in a sickly atmosphere of tepid scepticism, without much belief in your own right, and still less in that of your adversary.”
― Joseph Conrad

Mr_Doomed
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Mr_Doomed wrote:
Fallacy wrote:Oh, and the whole "promoting pedophilia" argument is just dumb.

Would you be so kind as to explain?

How is it promoting pedophilia? The "steamy" panels are in the right column, where the woman is clearly not a child.

Oh and I just noticed the poll seems a little one sided.

That it is.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Medic on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:13 am

I also agree that the poll is one sided. All the options lean towards not liking the new advertisment and honestly I think its far more interesting than regular stuff.

So you should edit the poll for people who agree with the advertisment or are indifferent.

I don't think it is promoting pedophilla either, the way I see it one side is a little girl and the otherside is obviously not a child. Now if the entire comic strip was a little girl and the teacher was suggesting that they should start with anatomy then I would have a slight problem with it. But otherwise it seems fine to me.

Medic
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:22 pm

I'd argue that freedom of speech, even if I don't agree with it, is positive and or neutral comment. As you believe enough in freedom of speech not to limit it.

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:27 pm

Rulke wrote:I'd argue that freedom of speech, even if I don't agree with it, is positive and or neutral comment. As you believe enough in freedom of speech not to limit it.

That poll option implies that you don't like the advertisement, but think that they have a right to air it. One-sided.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Fallacy wrote:
Rulke wrote:I'd argue that freedom of speech, even if I don't agree with it, is positive and or neutral comment. As you believe enough in freedom of speech not to limit it.

That poll option implies that you don't like the advertisement, but think that they have a right to air it. One-sided.

That is neutral not one sided. But it's stupid to argue over a poll when topic isn't that.

Rulke
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:36 pm

...What the hell did that ad have to do with air conditioners? Do not get.

And I can see where it gives that "pedobear" vibe. The fact that the girl and the woman are almost the same (hair, face, clothing, etc) can make one wonder...is this guy really looking at the girl as a woman and not a child? In his own perverted mind, of course.

I would have to say that this is rather tasteless and...I still fail to see the connection between a school girl romance and air conditioners...What did the cold air make her chest perk up? Like...what the fuck...?
Bai Bai bby

Mid
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Renssaerene on Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:28 pm

I have to say I looked at that post and was like "He's imagining her as a grown woman, pedobear much." Then I saw this was supposed to be for air conditioners. I did a double-take, looked back, and was like "No. Still the same picture."

It really has absolutely zilch to do with any sort of A/C. Even if it is supposed to be two temeperatures (hot and not-hot?) on each side. I would just like to point out that KIA never authorized this ad nor did they create it (or even ask for its creation). The company who did create it, Moma Propaganda in Sao Paulo Brazil, created it just to enter into the Cannes competition.

This would be why it was never released in the US, but was made present all over.

So really, the blame is that company. They made an innapropriate ad, stuck KIA's name on it, and hope that they'd win some awards for it (which I believe they did). It was a fail attempt at an ad, a win at awards, and totally a media/publicity scam on Moma Propogandas behalf.

Renssaerene
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Mid wrote:...What the hell did that ad have to do with air conditioners? Do not get.

Look at the bottom -- "A different temperature on each side". It was representing that with the "steamy" and "nonsteamy" panels on opposite sides.
And I can see where it gives that "pedobear" vibe. The fact that the girl and the woman are almost the same (hair, face, clothing, etc) can make one wonder...is this guy really looking at the girl as a woman and not a child? In his own perverted mind, of course.

I think you're thinking about an advertisement too hard.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:59 pm

LynIsMe wrote:It really has absolutely zilch to do with any sort of A/C. Even if it is supposed to be two temeperatures (hot and not-hot?) on each side.

Since when do advertisements usually have anything to do with the product that's being advertised? At least there's actually a fairly strong connection with this one.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Renssaerene on Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:40 pm

Fallacy wrote:
LynIsMe wrote:It really has absolutely zilch to do with any sort of A/C. Even if it is supposed to be two temeperatures (hot and not-hot?) on each side.

Since when do advertisements usually have anything to do with the product that's being advertised? At least there's actually a fairly strong connection with this one.

Quite often, actually. Like, car commercials actually have cars. Justin Bieber ads actually have Justin Bieber.The ad was seriously not about the car's air conditioning system. Even with showing those two sides. It was just a scam, for that company to get their publicity. Not for KIA's A/C units to be advertised.

You can really never think too hard about what you see. Everything has underlying meaning. Unless... it's a Justin Bieber ad. Those are more WYSIWYG sort of deals.

Renssaerene
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Contributor Lifegiver

Wow, I never heard about this ad, but I do deem it as inappropriate.
So you see, imagination needs moodling - long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering. - Brenda Ueland

Idyllic_Phantasm
Member for 13 years
Promethean Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:28 pm

I didn't hear about this add, and although yes it isn't tasteful at all, I find it hilarious. Everything is censored now, you can't breath without some tight prick taking offence to the way you did it. So, as far as I'm concerned although it's distasteful there's no reason not to publish it. If enough of the public raised a huff about it I'm pretty sure it would be taken out of circulation anyway.

Leli
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Leli wrote:I didn't hear about this add, and although yes it isn't tasteful at all, I find it hilarious. Everything is censored now, you can't breath without some tight prick taking offence to the way you did it. So, as far as I'm concerned although it's distasteful there's no reason not to publish it. If enough of the public raised a huff about it I'm pretty sure it would be taken out of circulation anyway.

You raise a good point. There's all this "controversy" over a harmless little advertisement that might offend some peoples' sensibilities.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RedRaine on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:09 am

Without looking at any reply... Here's my take on it.

I found it somewhat humorous. I can see how people can see this is promoting pedophilia and perhaps people that shout out 'pedophilia' at any chance might want to do a little introspecting if that's constantly hanging over their minds. I always find that anything taken out of context can be seen as weird. Heck. Teenage mutant ninja turtles: 4 giant mutated turtles wielding weapons are wandering the streets of new york as they're led around by a giant rat. Weird.

What I found hilarious with this ad was a comparison of how a similar situation presented in different interpretations and art-styles could completely change the context of it. I say yay company. I found it cute and clever. Perhaps a tad bit out of taste... But clever nonetheless.
~Still trying to fit all of my dreams in a pokeball.

RedRaine
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Greeter Concierge

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!