Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

On The Summoninge of Entitae Malefic (How not to do it)

a topic in Fantasy Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in a fantasy realm (dragons, elves, magic), use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

On The Summoninge of Entitae Malefic (How not to do it)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rimblade on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:44 pm

On The Summoninge Of Entitae Malefic (How Not To Do It)

((OOC- the-summoninge-ooc-t4963.html))

Tristifan Comeuppence stared longingly (and hopefully) at mugs the barkeep was washing out. She was having none of it.

When Tristifan had heard that the King's Scale inn- the most prosperous inn the town of Vicham sported- had hired a woman to work the bar (replacing the old inkeeper, who had quite a case of gout, and preferred drinking his ales to pouring them in any case), he had rather hoped for a blushing young lass he could court for free beer. He was dissapointed. Gemla was a stout, broad-shouldered woman with a permanent scowl and a truncheon to match. She had not responded well to his loving importunings, and his hand still ached.

"Eheha, Tristefan!"

The slim youth turned in suprise. It was the innkeeper, and he was seating himself on the bench opposite himself. "Goodman Varn, it's good to see you're well!"

"More well than you, looks like. I see you finally had to sell that stupid oversized knife." The inkeeper snorted, and waved toward Gemla. "Two ales, Gemmy. I've got to douse the fire in my joints."

Gemla approached, and carefully deposited two mugs on the table. As Tristefan reached for one, Varn slapped his wrist. "Bah! Who said that was for you, lad? I've got a powerful thirst!" The old man peered at Tristefan's reddening face, then chuckled and waved at it. "Hah! Nay, it's yours, boyo. Tell me, though, are times really so hard for you? I see that your clothes are a bit ragged, but haven't you even a copper lion for a quart?"

Tristefan sighed. "Times are worse than that, I'm afraid. I've got debts. Almost two crown's worth."

Varn's eyes widened, and he spluttered. "Oh, you stupid lad! You tried to gamble? Your father must be turning in his grave, bless his soul! Listen, lad, I know a way out of it for ye."

"Oh?" Tristefan asked, not with a great deal of hope.

"Aye. I'd best be going, but... ye can read, right? Over on the door. Man came in, only today. It's an offer, lad, and in writing, so the magistrate would judge for ye, I think. Go have a look." The little inkeeper slipped off the bench, wincing at his gout, and tottered off.

For some time, Tristefan sat, brooding. The ale was gone in the space of a minute, but he stared thoughtfully at the other bench for a while longer. Then he hopped off the bench himself and walked over to the door, to inspect the notice.

To all ye men of stout and good disposition, and womenfolk also..
'Workers of Odd Jobs required at Winstrom Vale. Bedding and Stables availible free for workers, and meals provided thrice daily. Take on these honorable tasks, and you shall have memories certain to last all your days, and wealth as well. One gold half crown to be distributed daily, and also one silver lion of hazard salary for dangerous work. Please apply with Lord Winhab at Winstrom Manor.

Tristefan began preparations that very day.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rimblade
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: On The Summoninge of Entitae Malefic (How not to do it)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby riddle on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:44 pm

it wasn't often death entered towns. neither he nor the creature liked them. but it had been days since food, and he was desperate. stumbling around in the city, he happened on a tavern. his small body lurched over to the door and opened it, leaving him staring face to face with a man. death stumbled back, surprised, and stared up at the man dumbfounded...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

riddle
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rimblade on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:05 pm

Tristefan blinked, and looked down at the boy. The look of shock on the boy's face was amusing, if totally unwarrented. He was keenly aware that, despite his best efforts, he did not bear any scars which could not be attributed to puberty. He'd seen a few- a few- serious conflicts, but he seemed to have a gift for inadvertantly avoiding the worst fighting.

"Best get back home, lad." he told the boy, smiling broadly as though he'd just made the best jape in the world, "Your dear old mam wouldn't like hearing somone your age was freqenting taverns and the like."

Still smiling, he stepped out onto the cobbled walks around the heart of the little town. He was keenly aware that they'd turn to dust and dirt before long, and to mud as he went northerly, like enough. Still, the air was fresh, his pack was (sadly) light, and his debts were soon to be behind him.

Rimblade
Member for 16 years

Fayte was milling about having scaring people half to death when he came upon a notice To all ye men of stout and good disposition, and womenfolk also...
'Workers of Odd Jobs required at Winstrom Vale. Bedding and Stables availible free for workers, and meals provided thrice daily. Take on these honorable tasks, and you shall have memories certain to last all your days, and wealth as well. One gold half crown to be distributed daily, and also one silver lion of hazard salary for dangerous work. Please apply with Lord Winhab at Winstrom Manor."
Fayte's wallet was a bit empty, maybe a few copper lions, but that was it. He decided to take up the job seeing his past experience with dangerous and possibly deadly work might help him fill his pocket's with some cash. He walked into an inn threw a copper lion on the desk, gave a glare to the innkeeper and settled down for the night.Hoping to wake the next morn and see if he could get this... job at Winstrom Manor.
Last edited by DarkBallad939393 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
(\ /)
( . .)
c(")(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

GG Crono 4: "Aim for the crotch" is the best slogan ever.
GG Crono 4: For anything.
GG Crono 4: Ever.
GG Crono 4: In fact, existing products would be SO much better if they used that slogan.
GG Crono 4: "Wiffle Ball: Aim For The Crotch!"
GG Crono 4: "Lawn Darts: Aim For The Crotch!"

DarkBallad939393
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby riddle on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:01 pm

...death stared at the man talking to him, before finally realixing that he was making fun of him. glaring angrily at tristefan. body twitches violently as he growls at the man. the creature in him spook soothingly...silently...
"this man dares cross us, go ahead and have fun. teach him to fear those he does not know..."
the boy smiles widely, exposing rows of long pointed teeth. death lunges forward and bites at the man.

riddle
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rimblade on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:18 pm

Tristefan, suprised, stumbled backwards, worn leather soles slipping on the damp (though thankfully quite rough) cobbles. "Gwha! Demon!" He cried out, falling to his rump. With the shaking but swift hand of someone who is both shocked and terrified, but practiced, he reached under his shirt and tore a small woven-grass effigy off of a leather thong about his neck. The runic symbol heated for a moment, then expelled the saved charge of kinetic energy in a half-sphere about Tristefan. The wave of invisible force jarred him again, but it also swept towards 'death' much like a wall of fairly slow bricks might.

Several townspeople, alarmed by Tristefan's sudden shouts looked over curiously. Unnerved or shocked by violence in the town square, they froze. A woman shrieked, possibly because all crowds of bystanders are required to have at least one.

Rimblade
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby riddle on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:35 pm

.the boy roared angrily...and leaped up onto the roof of the tavern...over the wall sent out by the man..large claws grow out from his hands and feet...he slashes a hole in the roof dropping down onto the man....and slashes at him wildly...

riddle
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rimblade on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:46 pm

Luckly, Tristefan was well out onto the street in front of the inn. Dispite his lack of an absolutely balanced diet of late (It turns out that beggars can be choosers, but they won't get much for it), he was a strong and resiliant man, and had already managed to push himself to his feet, overriding the pain with the sheer power of his will, augmented by adrenaline. In fact, it was really less his will and more the adrenaline.

Either way, by the time the boy had broken through the roof, Tristefan was already pounding his way towards the town's gate. No one was ever likely to mistake the guards there fore heros, but they did have crossbows, and possibly the town's duty mage. Unless he was drunk (come to think of it, being drunk often improved his rather meager mastery of the arcane arts).

All of these thoughts flashed through Tristefan's eyes as he fumbled for his quarterstaff, which had somehow gotten tangled in his trousers.

Rimblade
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby riddle on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:57 am

finding the man had gone, the boy got up quickly. death caught glimpse of the man as he fled for the outskirts of town. his anger was now taking over his body, it wouldnt be long until he was too far gone. quickly getting onto his hands and feet, he ran after the man on all fours, moving swiftly and gaining speed. death paid no attention to the guards nor anyone else, the man was the only person who mattered, and death meant to get him...

riddle
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rimblade on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:51 pm

"Help!" Screamed Tristefan, who had stopped in the middle of the half cul-de-sac wherein the northern guardhouse was located. The two-story longhouse structure was built up against the town's wall, to allow guards to walk on the wooden palisades without needing to move to the street level.

Several of the guards on duty (this far north, there were frequent incursions by Jotun tribes, necessitating a large force to secure larger towns) had already taken note of Tristefan's frenzied pace, and held loaded crossbows. At his call, the large double-door of the guardhouse swung open.

"What in blazes is going on?!" screamed a red-faced, portly man from the door. Axerus, the town's duty mage, had not been assigned this far north by choice. Several gross ineptitudes in his tenure in various offices in the southeron climes had led the Board of Trustees at Varlingheim to place him here, out of harm's way. He had nurtured that blow to his ego ever since, and was a pre-emptory and fairly stupid man. Regardless, he did have a rather impressive repotoire of spells, as befitted the schooling of the second son of a rich duke, and never hesitated to use it.

"Right behind me! A demon!" Tristefan shouted, coming somewhat closer to Axerus before stopping. He didn't want to get out of range of the mage's art, but neither was he interested in one of the guardsmen who were peering curiously around the mage to get any ideas. They were largely cowards, but had extensive training with ranged weapons to make up for it. Several of their bows even bore the rather clumsy enchantments of the duty mage himself.

If the beast approached, Tristefan reasoned, none of these cowards would hesitate to riddle it with bolts before it could get halfway across the cul-de-sac.

Rimblade
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UberKryos on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:04 pm

Kaine walked through the woods, the reassuring weight of Demon Bane slung on his back. Hm, looks like a town, he mused to himself. Maybe I can find work there. Smiling, with the thought of a decent meal in the forefront of his mind, he walked straight to the town square. "Excuse me, sir," he said, stopping a random passerby, "What's the name of this place? And more importantly, is anyone around here looking for..." Kaine leaned in close to the man. "...a hired sword?"

UberKryos
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rimblade on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:12 pm

"Eh? You new to Vicham?" The man asked, startled, "You here to join the Guard, then? No, no, mercenaries don't settle. You're some heroic type, eh? Tell you what. I'll show you to the best tavern in town, drinks on me, you tell me a good story."

The man hadn't heard anything exciting for months now, not since the last merchant caravan chanced by. If he could land this bit of gossip, he reasoned, he'd be the toast of the town for a week. And toasts of the town got free rounds.

Rimblade
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UberKryos on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:15 pm

"I suppose I could stop by the tavern for a few drinks," said Kaine. And I might be able to find a client there too, he thought. Falling in step behind the man, he began to walk towards the tavern.

UberKryos
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rimblade on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:22 pm

The man led Kaine across the street towards the King's Scale, praising it as he went. "Oh, 'tis a fine place. Trust me on this, you can get a haunch of beef here which completely trumps everything else. And don't knock the ale, no. He brews it himself, he does, in a fancy secret way. It's so sweet and sour that you'll think you're drinking two ales for the price of one. Here, look out."

The man opened the door for Kaine. Like all of the doors in the northern towns, these opened outward- useful in an attack. As he pulled it further out, however, Winhab's notice calling for adventurers and promising riches fell off. The man cursed, re-sticking it to the door.

"Don't know why they bother with these paper things, friend. Not a man in town who's not a churchman as can read. Wait here, I'll find a seat and some beer."

Rimblade
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UberKryos on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:29 pm

Kaine, his interest piqued, stopped to pick up the notice. "Wealth, eh?" he said, "I might just have to see about this." Stuffing the note into his coat pocket, he continued into the tavern. Refusing ale went against his policy.

"So, friend," he said, after the drinks were poured, "I must thank you for your hospitality. I tell you what, when I get my next pay, I'll give you a little something." Quickly downing his ale, Kaine got up, preparing to leave for Winstrom Manor in search of his riches. Suddenly realizing his foolishness, he paused and asked the man, "Say, could you point the way to Winstrom Manor?"

UberKryos
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rimblade on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:33 pm

"What, the one in the Vale?" The man shuddered, "Why would anyone want to go to that wasteland? Unless.... there's a lot of bandits up there. I suppose you're going to defeat them? I bet you are! Say, how'd you become a hired blade? Got some lord's daughter one fine night, but were caught, am I right? Eh?"

Even as he spoke, the man was spinning the tale for himself, gloating over his own creativity. "Yeah, I know where the Manor is. You just gotta head out the north gate and follow the road. It don't go any further than Winstrom Vale anyway, because of the jotun tribes thataways. Not safe to travel. No one use that road, excepting his lordship Winhab's guards, when they're feeling lonesome. I guess it's a day or two up there. Too cold for my blood."

Rimblade
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UberKryos on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:37 pm

"Thanks for you time," said Kaine, "but now I really must be going." Hefting Demon Bane, Kaine set out along the road to Winstrom Manor, hoping that he'd meet a bandit, so that he could warm up for the task ahead of him.

UberKryos
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rimblade on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:45 pm

In the interest of time, Kaine left the town rather speedily, and set off up the road, northward. As civilization receeded behind him, he noted a marked increase in conifers, as well as a number of hills.

The cobbles had transformed into dirt outside the city, and they were now damp enough to accept footprints from the adventurer. Contrary to the story he'd heard in the inn, Kaine quickly came upon a group of three men, each wearing worn and coarse cloaks. They were deep in arguement.

"I told ya, Tom, he's mad."

"No, Sev, he's not. The old man's crafty as a fox, and I want to know what he's up to."

"Us, I 'sepct."

"Don't be even more a fool than I know you are." Tom said scornfully, "He's let us sit for years, and we haven't worried at him for it. No. I think it's the glow."

Sev hesitated a moment, then began, "Tom... I don't mean to imply anything, but you an Gammer as are the only ones have seen it. Surein it's not just... hark, traveller."

Tom turned, blinking at Kaine. "Hail and well met, traveller. You wouldn't happen to be headed for the manor, would ye?"

Rimblade
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UberKryos on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:49 pm

"I suppose I would, what's it to ye?" said Kaine, fingering Demon Bane. Are these the bandits I was warned about? Kaine wondered, they sure don't look like much.

UberKryos
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rimblade on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:55 pm

"Well, now, I'm of a mind to head up there myself. The old laird of the manor's offering quite a pile of coins, wouldn't you say? I'm Tom Oakenspar. Used to be a guard at a more southerly town, I did. Mind much if I traveled this last streach with ye?"

Tom Oakenspar was not much to look at. He was well-shaven, yes, but his cloak was ragged, his tunic was torn, and the loop he used as a sheathe revealed that his sword was dented. Dispite that, however, the body language of the other two suggested a particular deferrence, or even awe.

"But Tom!" Asked the one, "We don't wanna..."

"You're not gonna!" Snapped Oakenspar back at him, "What you're GONNA do is go tell Gammar that I went to get gainfully employed. Then you two are GONNA get your hides back and let everyone at home know I'm well."

"Well..." Sev started doubtfully.

"Do it, lest I thrash your hides! What're you two waiting for? I said go!"

They fled. Curiously, they fled off the road.

Rimblade
Member for 16 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!