Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Hogwarts: Year One

Hogwarts: Year One

a part of “Hogwarts: Year One”, a fictional universe by almostinsane.

Welcome, First-Years, to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. For the next seven years, you will study in this prestigious academy and make life-long friends along the way as you grow into your magical power and adulthood.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Hogwarts: Year One”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: [OOC] Hogwarts: Year One

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:50 pm

I am absolutely fine with the fact that you did that, though I've kind of forgotten what the meta-plot is going to be. Something about the Elder wand and Grindlewald, maybe? Also, Oran, who were the people and what the heck is going on? I'd love to contribute, but I think I might need a refresher first lol.
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:40 am

Okay, we never decided hard and fast the details of the meta-plot, so here's what I'm contributing.

The French guy is a world renown connoisseur of... everything. A complete blood purist, think Lucius Malfoy only the only woman he ever loved is now out of the picture, he never had a family, and the only thing he can now appreciate are things, and he's manifested all this in the most horrifying of forms: A French Person. (I kid... sorta). A lot of his world renown connoisseurship is believed to be stolen artifacts. He is also a serial wand owner, since his first "never fit him" which I'm using as a metaphor for the "he's trying to fill the hole in his life," again, with an object.

The pudgier man in blue is going to be my member of whatever big bad is plotting all this, along with, I think the transfiguration teacher. This guy, however, is part of the Ministry, specifically, the Bureau of Statistics, Measurements, and Recordings for the Magical Community, and Magical Communities Abroad. It's a classic desk job involving lots of number crunching and time spent doodling on the public's dime, but also gives him access to a plethora of properly registered and earmarked people, bloodlines, artifacts, and histories.

Basically, he's a number's guy, who became interested in a handful of artifacts, was contacted by the "big bad" and is now part of his posse, performing a seemingly mundane task that allows him to go anywhere under the guise of "collecting information" and constantly track the movement of artifacts. He needs the French guy because he's the best at getting things out and away.

The way I feel the Meta-story is going... the artifact the French guy thought was being talked about was the Elder Wand, which he wants, but figures he can't have. Then he realizes what's actually being talked about is the Mirror of Erised, which the Big Bad has figured he can use for delicious wicked purposes, brainwashing and the like.

Any other shtuff in the castle that need snatching are also points of interest for them, and I plan on having man in blue show up at Hogwarts for "Wand Registration" in which students present there wands so that they can have on file that they own them "So the right to wand ownership can never again be challenged" after Voldemort claimed muggle-borns were stealing their wands... He would use this time to contact any moles actually within Hogwarts, get the french guy in, and scope out that Elder wand thing...

And about the wand I've got a few storylines bouncing around in my head, but I'm trying to remember that this is a roleplay, not a fan fiction, and you guys get to contribute, so I'm still just waiting to tie this down to the aforementioned "big bad" and whatever else is going on...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby almostinsane on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Hmm.... That sounds interesting. So the French Guy is the Big Bad's Dragon and, like all Dragons, he makes for a terrific villain. Got to feel sorry for the guy in blue. He's being strong-armed into this. Hmm, would Merlin's wand/staff be of any interest in this plot. That could be even stronger than the Elder Wand... Anyway, it shall be interesting to come up with a way the Mirror of Erised is hidden. Has to be something cerifiably Dumbledore... Appears in the Room of Requirement when one desires Lemon Drops, maybe?

almostinsane
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:30 pm

I was thinking someone figured out the wandlore behind the Elder Wand's power was part design and part placebo.

The theory would be that the Elder Wand is a little more conscious than most wands, which are already as animate as inanimate objects can be. It's only loyalty is to power because it collects power for every spell cast, and just being around magic. So if it's previous owner was beaten, obviously the person beating them was even more powerful, so it switched allegiances. That's the design part.

The other aspect is that the wand's reputation was enough to make magic stronger, since the owners no longer feared going over the limit. Since they believed they could cast the greatest magic in the world, no fear of hurting the wand, themselves, or anything, they could cast it. I think it's a nice non-magical but sensible way of explaining the power. The first part explains the ownership.

Thus someone could be ramping this up to eleven, having no inhibitions and stuffing some particularly durable wand (out of say some mythical wood like Witchwood or that 40,000 year old wood from New Zealand) and a core of something outlandishly powerful, but not necessarily Thestral. I was thinking a basilisk fang, since it's got that destructive side, and a wood powerful enough to hold it would be hard to find anyway.

As for the mirror, I know the Big Bad is using it for brainwashing, and both the Frenchman and the Man in Blue would both be fascinated by it, seeing sort of the same thing. The former seeing himself no longer dependent on things, the love of his life restored, no longer trying to prove anything to himself and the latter seeing himself content, no longer trying to prove himself to anyone.

I sort of liked the idea of the mirror being in a portrait. As in, sitting in the background of one of the living pictures, and to get to it would involve going INTO the picture system. The result is, if you don't think incredibly hard about it, the pictures will immediately feel like (or better than) the real world, the real world feel like a picture, and you'd be stunned and confused long enough for some picture to report you to a teacher.

It's also fun because just by stepping out of one frame you'll be in something new and fantastical :P even though it's technically driving you slowly mad and driving you crazy as you realize the perfect world is just a shadowy representation of real life...

I think too much.

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:12 am

The portrait idea is interesting, actually. I think there's a lot of potential for interesting character-based reactions to it as well. The question would be how to logically get them in there in the first place.

I'm liking the villain cast; it might not be a good idea to make too many of them at present, but I'm guessing the big bad could have a couple dragons. One for every occasion. ^^ But actually, more like we could rotate them. Kind of like DADA professors. Some die, some were spies for the ministry, some just kind of fade into obscurity and come back at the end... all that good stuff.

The wand registration thing sounds interesting, though. Maybe also going with the group of kids that's helping, we could develop a subplot of someone (John and Ian are both probably more likely than Astrea in this respect) getting pulled aside by Morfan and recruited? Then, when they're talking to the others about it, we all kinda realize that something weird's going on and decide to figure it out? It might be good to segue into the "big plot" anyhow.

Also, because we don't want to get entirely sucked into the big plot, who's up for some Quidditch? Or Marauder's map-finding/sneaking out of dorms to run about the hallways like hellions? Personally, I think Astrea would do it just to talk to Peeves or something. =)

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby almostinsane on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:02 pm

All very good ideas. I would love to enter the Portrait World at some point. It would prove interesting.

And, yes, John and Ian do seem like the type to be tricked in their First Year into helping a Dragon. :P

And you can't have Hogwarts without Quidditch or the Marauder's Map! It's heresy without them! Hmm... Maybe, one of them could be particularly impressive in Flying Class but the others, of course, want to join their House's Quidditch team too. :P

almostinsane
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:02 pm

I didn't know it was an option not to do Quidditch. Although it is there first year (I never understood that restriction anyway) but Ian's certainly okay on a broom, since he's been chasing flying animals around all his life. If anything, something should happen at a Quidditch game.

I liked the Portrait thing because it's something a student could stumble into, maybe a portrait of people playing cards has an empty chair, and Dumbledore liked to play a game or two with them back when he was headmaster. From then, navigating would be hilarious, and the students would have to be careful not to alert any denizens to what's going on. A student could also find out from say a Ghost, taunting them with a riddle about life imitating art or art imitating life. I like that, because while Ian, who's a little slower, would fumble over it, I could see Astrea responding matter-of-factly that it's the portraits.

I figured our Big Bad would definitely have a few trusted baddies and plenty of grunts, so we'll see lots of faces, each doing their part for the new world order :P

And someone has to get Detention, sometime...

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Baneling Squishy on Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:15 pm

Same...

Sorry for not posting lately, but i am swamped with homework and Christmas stuff. Il be lucky to get on at all this week for more then like 20 minuets

I like the portrait idea. And if you want, i could cause it xD. If Azel is properly trained in a spell, it is not very limited on what will happen.....so i could easily find some sort of combo to get them in. Never underestimate the power of a powerful wand not used right! Ahhh, that reminds me of the fether that blew up in the 1st movie. :D

But thats just my idea ^.^

anyways, il try to post within the next 2=8 days.
POWER TO THE ROLE PLAYERS: Pet Project: Verseship

I am 33% evil, 33% insane, 33% role player, and 1% other (Note: Insane and Brilliant are the same thing!)
My test:
My Brothers Test: [CENTER]Image

Mr. Baneling Squishy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:15 pm

Hmm... perhaps a little event planning is in order. At least a rough outline of the order in which things are going to occur. We need them to get into the portrait world, but there has to be a reason. I like the ghost with a riddle idea. Maybe they're all just out exploring after hours one night, and Peeves finds them to taunt them about it? They could already have some idea of what's going on from the conspiracy group that John and maybe one or two other people attend. The rest of us could do the leg work in terms of figuring out what the heck the Mirror of Erised even is.

If we make the meetings, the research, and the portrait stuff separate "arcs" we could work in Quidditch or at least flying class, and maybe some Marauding in the meantime. We could say that the map is hidden in Hermione's old favorite copy of Hogwarts, a History or something, because who ever reads that except for weird people like Astrea or ones looking for information about something that's supposed to be hidden in the building, like the Mirror?

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby almostinsane on Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:19 pm

Hm.... That could work. Yes, it can work.

How's this?:

John and others meet the Conspiracy Group

Recruit the others

Legwork, research, etc.

Marauding

Quidditch

Peeves tricks them into entering the Portal world

almostinsane
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:33 pm

I like it. I'll play a member of the group just to have something to do during the meetings haha. Need a club president?

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Baneling Squishy on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:19 pm

I like it too, makes great sense to me. I would also like to remind everyone that everyone in Hogwarts is friendly to the other houses, excluding Slytherine of course.

Mr. Baneling Squishy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:22 pm

I think we're working on the notion that anyone can be prejudiced, not just members of Slytherin, so I think our evil club is equal-opportunity. =)

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby almostinsane on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:36 am

Yep! Evil comes in all shapes and sizes!

almostinsane
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Okay, so it looks like our next post either needs to be Morfan leading John (and someone else?) to a meeting, or we could finish out the day's classes (which is seeming less like the way to go since we are down to so few people).

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby almostinsane on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Agreed. Morfan leading John (and maybe someone else) to a meeting sounds like the best way to go.

almostinsane
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Baneling Squishy on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:36 pm

just a heads up, due to christmas i cant post as much as i would like. I think i said this before, but i didnt think it would get as hectic as this. Il try and get something in, but im officially failing to post on many things...

Mr. Baneling Squishy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby almostinsane on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm

It's okay, THe Charecter. I think everyoe understands how hectic a holiday can be.

almostinsane
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Machina Ex Deus on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:24 am

Hmm... haven't heard from Apple's in a while, have we? Should I just do the "meeting" scene as club president and say I led the kids Morfan had recruited for me?
There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.

Machina Ex Deus
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby almostinsane on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Hey machina. Didn't know you were in this roleplay, though, with all the characters, I must have lost track. Anyway, that would be appreciated, thanks. :)

almostinsane
Member for 16 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!