Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

GNOMES!!!?

GNOMES!!!?

a part of “GNOMES!!!?”, a fictional universe by Scumbag_Brain.

Why should elves get all the love? Gnomes are personally my favorite fantasy race and for a new, innovative roleplay I'd like to create a world focusing almost exclusively on these mercurial little buggers.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “GNOMES!!!?”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] GNOMES!!!?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:53 pm

Any questions you have about Gnomes!!!? can be asked here. Feel free to propose characters if you want to know whether they are acceptable before slogging through the full design process and to work out pregame associations with other characters. Keep in mind, however, that I have no desire to micromanage the game. I expect players to add their own content to the world and will welcome this so long as it reflects the general themes laid out in the intro.
Last edited by Scumbag_Brain on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] GNOMES!!!?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kjrated on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:59 am

Two words: Hella interested.

But I don't think that this level of awesomeness, epicness, and creativity combined can be handled by such a weak brain as I. I believe I shall lurk, for the time being...

Epicness... ness... ness... ness... ness.. ness...
Do you have what it takes?
TO GIVE US YOUR FACE?
I promise you'll be famous!
Just give us your Beeeyooooteeefuuul FACE!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

kjrated
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:15 am

@kjrated Feel free to lurk, but please don't mistake me for a hardcore GM. My rules are mainly there to keep the pokemons and emovamps out. Don't let them scare you....unless you are an emovamp <reaches for cross>

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:45 pm

Notice

Seeing that the setting was a bit bare, I added a few more sections to the intro to fill in some of the dark spots. Here is a summary of the new sections.

Appearance and Physique: Covers what gnomes look like, an important aspect I had left out initially.

Economy: Explains a bit about the materials gnomes value and what they eat

Environment: Gives a bit more color to the underground world which surrounds Mechanus and introduces some iconic monsters which share this habitat.

Story: Explains my GM philosophy, basically asserting that this will be a 'sandbox' ,player driven RP

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kjrated on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:39 am

Ugh, so hard to resist wanting to make a character... I REALLY WANT TO MAKE A CHARACTER... BUT IF I DO MAKE A CHARACTER AND YOU REALIZE THAT I'M REALLY STUPID AND I READ THROUGH THE RULES OVER AND OVER AGAIN WITHOUT EVER BEING ABLE TO REGISTER WHAT THEY REALLY MEAN, YOU'LL MOST LIKELY BOOT ME...

... This is very depressing. Sigh. Well, I'M STILL A-LURKIN' MANG. NEVER 'FO GET THAT KJRATED IS LURKIN'.

kjrated
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:33 pm

@kjrated If you don't understand a rule you can always ask. I like to joke around and have fun with the rules, so they aren't as clear as they could be. Here's a more simplified version.

1) Don't keep adding things to the story when there's already to much going on.
2) Have a writing style that is at least a work in progress.
3) Don't be a power player. A power player is someone who always needs to play a bad ass character devoid of weaknesses or flaws.
4) Don't make a character who is an exception to all the rules like the person who submits a vegan vampire to a vampire rp.

Also know that hardly anyone who says they are stupid is in fact stupid. Most people who are truly stupid believe firmly that they are smart which is, ironically, the reason they are so stupid.

"I only know that I know nothing,"
-Socrates <---smart dude

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kjrated on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:52 pm

Dear ... Scummy. <Ahahahaha, cute nickname.>

Hurrah, you have boosted kj's self confidence. You know what that means? I REALLY WANT TO MAKE A CHARACTER NOW. Which makes me sad, because I promised myself no more characters after this, but I cannot help myself. I am a liar. To myself. That is.

Socrates is indeed very smart, very smart indeed. Because I really do know that everything I know is only that I know nothing. BUT, I will try to make a character. And I understand the rules now. SO, I will try EXTRA hard to make a character. Just for you. I felt completely intimidated before, but that is not the case now. And did I mention the fact that I adore gnomes?

Especially the garden gnomes, because I always believe they're laughing behind my back, but I never can turn around fast enough to catch them in the act. THEY'RE ALWAYS STANDING STILL. And that is depressing me...

Have you met Not-kj yet?

Can we get some fish up in heeeere? No? Well, whatever then. Did I mention kj has a collection of--

Okay, screw Not-kj. I do hope that you could actually accept the character of a crazy, insane, pretty much freakazoidal person that has an alter ego with pink font... Bolded. Yeah. SO, whoohoo.

kjrated
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:15 pm

@kj Ha, well I wouldn't get to excited considering you're the only one to reply so far.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kjrated on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:18 pm

Pfff, I can dream. I can hope! I can also demand that you let me Roleplay by myself just so I can be a gnome.

kjrated
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:42 pm

kjrated wrote:Pfff, I can dream. I can hope! I can also demand that you let me Roleplay by myself just so I can be a gnome.

LOL, you're alright, you know that.

I'm certainly not going to scrap the game just yet. I'll wait a few weeks and see if there is any more interest. Three is probably my minimum number of players though.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kjrated on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:02 am

D'awww. I'm sure a few people will turn up. I'm more than alright, mang. I'M INSANE, I'M THE INSANE PERSON. YEEEHAW. Anyway, I wish you luck, and I'll keep hanging around.. Hoping, dreaming, waiting. Yada yada yada.

kjrated
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Byte on Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:49 pm

*Magically appears out of a cheese sandwich that just casually popped up in the OOC*

'Twas getting quite smelly in there, probably the cheese... I felt like lurking... ya know, see if people are interested? But in secret, so nobody knew I was here... *Ahem* Ah! Excuse my manners! The name's Archlkan, Arch for easy reference. Because most people can't pronounce such an awesome name. Interesting set up ya got there, I have to agree; These pointy-eared people get too much attention. It is time a smaller species will be pushed in the spotlight for once, and lo and behold! A gnome role play just appeared out of thin air! I eh... might. Have. A character idea for your setting. I've become quite interested into smaller species such a Gnomes, Goblins, Dwarves, Halflings, etc. That, and my 'Inventor' senses were tingling when reading your introduction tab. Haven't read all if it yet, of course! "There is so much to read! My word! Must've taken quite some time to get all that information on paper."

Wait, where was I... ah yes! Really, I keep rambling at certain points, don't know why that is though... Anyway, I'll read up on that information you so kindly provided. And after that, the forging of my character shall begin.

I'll be around... watching...

~Archlkan
"You're not done when there's nothing more to add. You're done until there's nothing more to take away."

Byte
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy Salesman Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kjrated on Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:03 pm

Hello, Arch. I believe that we could become good friends, simply because you seem to like lurking, as do I. I've read through the rules a million times and I still haven't quite grasped the concept of it, and I have no idea how I'll.. Forge a character, as you so gnomely put it. Anyway, just wanted to be a friendly co-lurker.

EDIT: And I still haven't the faintest idea how to make my character sheet...

kjrated
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Byte on Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:28 pm

@kj:

Like lurking? My dear kj, it is my second job. Aside from role playing and attending college, of course. But that, is a story for another time. "Stories, so many stories to tell." You are welcome to lurk this OOC thread, and the role play tab with me of course! That aside, I believe I have grasped a tiny bit on how to forge, my character. But of course, something in terms of a template might help pushing you, (And me as well, to be honest.) in the correct direction. So, Scumbag, or SB for a more easy reference, would it be possible to provide us, and perhaps future players, with a nice and clean character template? With that, I, and many others, can work more efficiently on forging our Gnomes.

Byte
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy Salesman Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:48 pm

@Archlkan Nother lurker, eh. I should have checked the attic. Yeah bout the CS. I usually don't use them because I don't like to box people in. However, considering the complex and confusing nature of gnomish subject matter a CS might be helpful. I will add a template to the intro sadly making it even longer than it already is :-(

Done, character skeleton is in the Character section of the Intro, near the bottom. Hope this is helpful.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kjrated on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:55 pm

I'm worried that I'll never get a hang of the whole technology thing, I'm very bad at remembering things like this, and learning things like this. Just generally trying to think about mechanics and mechanisms and things...

kjrated
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Byte on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:49 am

@Sb:
Trust a fellow GM's word. Providing a character template is by no means 'boxing people in'. Everything you add, is to guide potential players in your realm. That includes a prologue/back-story, setting, explanation of mechanics and magics, bestiary, explorable areas, and many more things. This is why I rather like your role play. There is much to read and to understand, yes. But you've explained everything you need to know about the world, how this world works, and what kind of characters you'd like to be in this world. But, I am sure you don't need me to explain every little detail about how a role play should be set up. ^^;

Ah! But here I am complimenting you on some dedicated work, when there is much to write and locate. "So much work to do. So little time..." Now that is all said and done. I shall try to wake a few of my friends on RPGway, perhaps some of them are interested in 'GNOMES!!!?'. I'll be around, as always...

Byte
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:28 pm

@KJ You don't have to understand how gnome technology works, hell that's actually the point, you can't understand it cuz you're a lumbering, dumb, clumsy giant like the rest of us whose brain is trapped in a paltry 3 dimensions.

Joss Whedon has a saying that all writers should remember. "May the Plot be with you!" This means that it is not the details which matter to a story but the story and if the details aren't furthering the story they should GTFO. For example, I'm not going to spend my words in game trying to explain how a clockwork spider actually functions, I'm going to describe how is stilts across the ground, its pointed metal legs clacking against the stone floor and its inards rattling like a pile of broken watches. I'm going to describe how it snatches a time piece from an unwary gnome's vest pocket and scurries into an alley where it greedily gobbles up the machine's springs and cogs. That's a story. Focusing on the details of the world at the cost of the story is just boring and doing so is how you get crap like the Silmarillion and the Wheel of Time (no offense fan_bois). The main reason I even attempt to explain things in gnomes, is just to impress how confusing their technology is and to create a place to parody human engineering and technology. If you can remember that Gematria is sort of like computers with crystals, Tinkering is sort of like mechanics, Alchemy is sort of like chemistry, and Infusion is sort of like electrical technology with silver glyphs instead of copper wires, then you are good.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kjrated on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:37 pm

.. I see. Okay... Well, it makes sense to me, thanks.

kjrated
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:35 am

If we don't get more players by the close of the weekend, I'll be closing this RP indefinitely. Quite possibly it is to eccentric an idea to ever garner a suitable number of people.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!