Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Magefire

The Magefire

a part of “The Magefire”, a fictional universe by VitaminHeart.

In the Empire of Valon, magic has been brought under control. It is directed, manipulated like electricity. The people live a life of safety and privilege...but what is the cost? Where does the power come from?

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Magefire”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The Magefire

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Sat May 02, 2015 2:51 pm

This is the auto-generated OOC topic for the roleplay "The Magefire"

Hi folkses, VitaminHeart here!

Any questions, concerns death threats or just generally want to say hi, feel free to post here. The other thread, The Explicarium, is your one stop shop for Valon lore. Here is for general talk. I'm currently trying to throw all the info togethe and get another couple of characters done, but I should reply quickly enough. =)
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me Vit.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Beta Tester Greeter Lifegiver

Re: The Magefire

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Sat May 02, 2015 3:06 pm

And the lore thread liiiives.

I don't expect people to read the text dump from start to finish prior to RPing, it's more meant to be a useful dip in and out resource.

Of course, if you want to read it then that's great! Hopefully it's reasonably interesting.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Beta Tester Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lloyd999 on Sat May 02, 2015 5:45 pm

Well, I believe I'm interested in this roleplay, I just need to come up with an idea for a character.

I imagine you're going to base the plot off of the characters, although I have difficulty coming up with a character without a clear plot in mind. Well, I'm sure I'll think of something. Maybe I'll have some questions later.

Lloyd999
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Sat May 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi there, glad to hear you're interested.

I have some overarching ideas for plotlines, but I'd rather tailor things to suit the cast so it's a little more personal rather than just shunting them all along. Characters don't have to have a strong arc set out off the bat, they could just be folks that get dragged into stuff, but if you want to have an idea off the bat that's totally understandable, feel free to ask if you've got anything you need to know. =)

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blueshadow on Sat May 02, 2015 6:46 pm

Oh this looks promising! I'll have to start working on a character sheet when I get the time, if you don't mind that is?

Blueshadow
Member for 13 years
Author Conversationalist Completionist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zalgo on Sat May 02, 2015 6:53 pm

I'm quite interested in this roleplay seeing as it's quite well set up already and with a fascinating yet open ended background.

I've already got a character in mind, I've just got to get him written down and such. He's got an arch for himself set already, a sort of long term goal per-se.

Zalgo
Member for 11 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Sat May 02, 2015 7:08 pm

@Blueshadow

Not at all! Go ahead, look forward to seeing your sheet!

@Zalgo

Thank you! =) A long term goal sounds great. Character arcs are all good as things are quite open at this point.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lloyd999 on Sat May 02, 2015 8:32 pm

Okay, here's question number one; What of foreign countries? You've mentioned that Valon has had to combat other nations, so what of them currently? Are they anywhere near Valon's state of advancement? Do they lack Magefire, or do they have other means of industrialization? Perhaps they'd have different laws and values from Valon. Also, what of Valon's foreign policy? Are they friendly with other nations, or is the country's borders closed off to all outsiders and cultures? I was just thinking about possibly making a character that comes from a foreign place very similar to China.

Lloyd999
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Sat May 02, 2015 8:58 pm

The Valonian Empire is, in some senses, a but like something like the roman empire, in that they've absorbed many different kingdoms but they have allowed them to retain their individual cultures, making their rulers Valonian nobility and encouraging trade throughout. This means there tends to be a lot of cultural crossover within the Empire itself.

There are nations not absorbed into the Empire though, either in the case of some like the beast-men in the north, due to open hostilities, though with some it for distance, or more isolationist ideals, or simply agreements never being forged, though the Empire is always attempting to expand. Magefire is peculiar to Valon though, and Magefire, in this world, is the only real path to industrialization, which is another reason that a lot of nations do willingly join the empire, as outside of Valon, things are once again more dangerous for ordinary folk.

Valon seeks to be pretty magnanimous, so would welcome visitors most of the time. However with the fighting that has taken place in the past, there might be a bit of suspicion or xenophobia amongst people on the street towards those from outside the Empire, even though Valonians are very accepting of different cultures from within it, if that makes sense.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Solo Wing Pixy on Sat May 02, 2015 9:37 pm

It lives! I will be submitting Tryniszka once again, with some minor changes, when I get the chance. My internet is spotty at best apart from my phone, but it should be back to normal by Friday at the latest. I will likely have my character up beforehand though : )
We drink to him as comrade must
But it's still the same old story
A coward goes from dust to dust
A hero from dust to glory.

Modesty wrote:Where originality comes in is finding new ways to explore the things that already exist to us. Suddenly red becomes crimson, ruby, scarlet, cherry, carnelian, vermilion, cardinal, sienna, maroon, sorrel, rojo, sanguine. Suddenly red can become a metaphor, a picture, a symbol.

Solo Wing Pixy
Member for 15 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby unseenshadow2 on Sat May 02, 2015 9:54 pm

Hey Vitamin! I will be bringing back the zarc, but I am thinking of making the new one who is searching for new ways of acquiring magefire. Would he be able to have a device that when cast into, it will produce magefire, at a likely inefficient pace?
"There is a realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Sovereign." Sovereign, Mass Effect

unseenshadow2
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fabricator on Sat May 02, 2015 10:01 pm

Certainly quite interested in this... Tempted to create a shapeshifter character, and race background if possible?

Not sure of Mage or ET though... Also I would write more, and maybe with more sense but it's currently 4am.
ImageImage

Fabricator
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Sun May 03, 2015 10:02 am

@ Solo Wing Pixy

It does! Great to see you back! It'll be really good to have Tryniszka again. =)

@Fabricator
Go for it. People are welcome to throw their own lore into the mix and I'll look it over to make sure it doesn't clash with existing stuff.

I'm not sure whether it'll effect your decision or not, but I'm working on a technologist character myself, so an Eso would have company.

@Unseenshadow

Hi again! Zarc is fine, however for the moment I'm gonna say no to a device like that because, in the context of the world, something like that would invalidate a lot of the shady stuff that goes on among the technologists and make a lot of big issues in the plot rather too easily resolved.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zalgo on Sun May 03, 2015 11:34 am

I've got my character submitted, though he is not entirely complete as of yet. I should have him finished soon. For now this is just the bare bones of what the character is.

He's got a vision, one long in the making.

Zalgo
Member for 11 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Maestro on Tue May 05, 2015 3:51 pm

I only post to say, I rather like your idea Vitamin and will definitely be keeping an eye on this. Been browsing this periodically. Unfortunately can't say I want to commit to something that will prospectively be as good at this. Hope this RP does well. (:

~Maestro

Maestro
Administrative Liaison
Administrative Liaison
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Beta Tester Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lloyd999 on Tue May 05, 2015 5:27 pm

Alright, I think I finally know what I'm going to do for my character. I'm thinking she'll have some connection to VEGA, maybe she has a parent that works for them or something. She herself could be considered an Esotric Technologist, which would be impressive considering her young age (she'll be around 15) however that is mostly because she relies Magefire to keep herself alive. She may be talented, but at all times, she needs to (quite literally) hold onto her own life with an iron grip.

To be a bit more specific, because of a certain accident (still working on it) my character is on the verge of death, perhaps her heart stop beating or some other vital organ wont work, who knows. However, she is kept alive thanks to a device that allows Magefire to be used to keep herself alive, sort of in the opposite way that Esoteric Extractors work. Of course, she needs to constantly keep contact with the device for it to work and she needs to keep it charged. Should she ever lose it or should it run out of charge, she would rapidly lose strength and die.

So, for inquiry dos, I'm curious to hear a little more about Witchfell. I might just end up having my character come from the Capital, although Witchfell may be a more likely candidate, seeing as it's a smaller place.

Also, I kinda want to experiment with her role a little bit, like, she may work for the Empire as well, although I'm not entirely sure what being a fighter technologist would entail. Perhaps she could fulfill a greater role. Hell, she might even be tasked with hunting down former order members, I dunno.

Lloyd999
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fabricator on Tue May 05, 2015 5:51 pm

You just need a mechanical magefire powered suit of armour and you've got female iron man there Lloyd.

I'm working on a character concept but may need to drop a PM your way VitaminHeart to question a few things. Also I'm currently in a state somewhere so far beyond ill I feel like I have become the personification of people filled with cotton wool -_-

Fabricator
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Wed May 06, 2015 5:37 pm

Hey, I've read through the intro, and most of, (admittedly not all of), the story so far, and it seems really interesting. I'd love to join, but I have a few questions still, (I'll be sure to check the expilicatorium thingy), and if I can get those cleared up I'd love to be a part of this.

I suppose my first, (and most important), questions is this: Is this RP still 'alive'? I've tried to join a few RP's recently, only to discover they inexplicably 'died-off' a few weeks ago. So, slightly dis-hearted I kept looking, when I found this. I didn't want to go through my usual ritual of "READING EVERYTHING THEN ASKING TO JOIN", if there was nothing to join.

Secondly, as it's kinda filling up in here, what kind of roles are you looking for? Should I lean towards one side of the argument, or perhaps not have anything to do with the esoteric at all? I have a slew of characters that come to mind with this topic, and I'd be excited to use any of them.

Third-ly? Eh-em: Third, races. Due to it's fantasy nature, what kind of races are you willing to accept? I know there's a tribal "Zark" or something more akin to a lizard, but what's your limits? Nothing ghostly? Eatheral? Anything that couldn't be called Humanoid? I'm most likely not going to go this far, but I'd like to see where my boundaries lay nonetheless.

I think that covers my largest questions, only leaving me a small amount of nitpicks which I'm sure are answered in the few places I haven't read yet. Point being, if this thing is still open, I'll be sure to look everywhere and better familiarize myself with the wonderful world you have created.
"My situation is not my choice, but the outcome will be. . ."

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lloyd999 on Wed May 06, 2015 9:16 pm

Seeing as posting has just started, I'd say it's alive.

Lloyd999
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Thu May 07, 2015 3:27 pm

@Maestro
Thank you! =) The world is one I'm very fond of.

@Lloyd999

I like that idea, go for it.
I'll be creating an Eso myself who is based in Witchfell, so they could potentially tie in. I'll add some on Witchfell to the Explicarium shortly. =)

@Mr. Inkwell
Very much alive still!
I'm pretty open as far as roles go. Some people related to the palace would be interesting, or some regular folks.

As for species, there are the sort of humanoid fantasy races that are seen as 'normal' in Valon. Elves, orcs, dwarves, that kind of thing. They're all more or less integrated and tend to crossbreed with one another too. In general creatures that look mostly humanoid will fall under the 'people' category and be full citizen of the Empire. Zarc would fall under this.

Then you have a category of 'half-people' which are species that have society in some form, but are seen as lower forms of life and potential threats by most of the 'civilized' peoples. Beast-men, werewolves, mercreatures, naga, satyrs and things of that nature would fall under this. Ethereal things might fall into this too.

Then you have 'monsters' which encompass anything very inhuman, and these things exist but are almost universally regarded as on level with animals.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!