Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

What type of roleplaying is funner to you?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

What type of roleplaying is funner to you?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby unknownmystery on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:30 pm

What type of role play do you like most? There is form test ,video game role play D &D type with dice that I don't know much about. And more that I may not know of. Also just a free form test based fighting and other role plays that follow it. I wonder other tha free form text role playing what are some of other types everyone likes.
Wondering Around Where To Stop

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

unknownmystery
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: What type of roleplaying is funner to you?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Darrelkun on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:11 am

I prefer one-on-one text roleplays with a close friend, to which we can have romance, drama, and comedy at our finger tips without having to worry about other people. I generally don't like group roleplays as, one, it takes forever for roleplay posts to be posted, and two, I feel restrained by "manners", such as not being able to fly off the hinges with a vulgar tongue or feel up other characters in perverse ways.

And I really enjoy getting to play naughty characters!

Mmm, after text roleplaying, I'd have to say video game form is fun. It's fun to enter a MMORPG that has some roleplaying involved. I love FFXI, which is a MMORPG with lots of in-character encouragement from the developers. However, everyone is too worried about the numbers they produce and being time effective to really sit down and get into character. I think a game like FFXI with people in character would be incredibly fun!

After that, live action roleplaying. I use to do it all the time as a child. I've yet to do it as an adult since nobody else enjoys it.

I'm not a fan of D&D type roleplaying at all. I don't feel I can be in character, I feel it's just a numbers game, and I enjoy romance and drama in roleplays, not damage numbers. It's fun to blow things up, but, I've never been a person who preferred blowing objects up over blowing people's emotions up. Heh heh.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Darrelkun
Member for 13 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lukisod on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:12 pm

I love some good ole fashioned pen and paper RPG's. Most fun I ever had RPing was playing some D&D with my friends.

Chat RP's are probably next up. Quick and witty, then forum RP's but like Darrelkun said, they can sometimes take forever.

in video games... I don't play traditional RPG's. Too many random battles and even worse are MMO's which truly number games and pretty much all about grinding out XP day after day... ><
"Perhaps we should perform a study on the effectiveness of studies?"

Lukisod
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Andreis on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:34 pm

I have to say I agree with Lukisod - I adore pen and paper. Many different systems provide a great way to role-play with a bit of game mechanic involved. DnD is the most infamous but it is also the most notoriously kick-in-the-door action oriented rather than as much roleplaying. But yes...
I thoroughly enjoy chat-based role play sometimes but I also enjoy forum based roleplaying when a direct setting and plot are applied.

Andreis
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Donated! Contributor Beta Tester World Builder Inspiration Group Theory Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ChaoticMarin on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:38 am

I adore a themed, plot based text roleplay, with no dice. Dice kills immersion like a well placed headshot to a...whatever.

D&D is a fun idea that I've never had the pleasure of trying, but it's just so different from the roleplay I grew up with that I can't really put them next to eachother. Kind of like how I treat video games and roleplaying really differently, I treat roleplaying and D&D really differently, I guess you could say.

But I'm now digressing.
“I eat my enemies for breakfast; even when I already ate breakfast, and brunch!”

“But in my heart, I sometimes wish they would atone so that I could be that close to a friend.”

Check out my likes and dislikes post and my profile. Then hit me up!

ChaoticMarin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Beta Tester Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Recruiter Cult Leader Hordemaster Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver Concierge Visual Appeal Donated!

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!