Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Corsairs of the Red Sails OOC

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: Corsairs of the Red Sails OOC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby qwerty0000 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Perhaps I'll contribute a fighter or just an ordinary seaman to the effort. Gunnery Officer, perhaps? Maybe I can send the profile in given a few hours.
Hell, young as we are to know everything, it doesn't matter in the long run

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

qwerty0000
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby 7achary on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:52 pm

Alright, magic update. Drinking makes magic more likely to work. That in mind with it completely debilitating you in other ways. A drunk Thrower is more danger to the crew than the enemy, so ship policy is for throwers to stay sober unless under direct supervision. It's pretty standard for Throwers to wet their lips on something before battle, as with menders during surgery, and Navigators before... navigating.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

7achary
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Lord of Hats on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:17 pm

*savagely devours cookie*

Re: Magic Update.

No, that still does not mean you get access to Rotendo's private supply. At least, not if you want to keep your face glass-shard free. You get to drink from the common stores, or whatever you grab for yourself.

OriginalSix: Am I correct in assuming you're going with a more Scottish influence with Bakarr? Rotendo's more Haitian-inspired (alright, very Haitian). If anyone's character wants to ask why they're so different, I'd like to ask them to ask Rotendo. I've got a great mental image of him going off on someone for assuming that Gnoles are all culturally the same. Funny thing on reflection, that. I would say that there are three defining traits for Gnolish culture though: a dislike of gunpowder, good steel, and really good alcohol.

The Lord of Hats
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:33 pm

Different islands, different cultures....this goes for almost every race, save for the Elves.
Its easy to be brave behind a castle wall
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion
A king's son is no nobler then the food he eats

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OriginalSix on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:27 am

Lord of Hats : Actually, I wasnt trying to go for any specific cultural influences, but now that you mention it, he does seem pretty scottish. Funny how that turned out

Perfectly happy for people to ask you rather than me. Probably more likely to get an answer out of Rotendo than Bakarr, anyway.

I also see Bakarr having more of a problem than the rest of the crew with Rotendo's rituals and such. Cultural differences and all that.

Irish wolf : Thanks for having me aboard, Cap'n.
You know the goal. You know the path. The only thing that can stop you now is complacency. Go take what's yours.

OriginalSix
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby 7achary on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:43 pm

I'm just posting to see if the link in my new signature is working correctly. Not that I don't wanna stay and chat, but you know how it is.

I guess it doesn't work. Oh well, here's the link I wanted in my signature. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpHLEm9-0bg

7achary
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skittle_Overlord on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:31 pm

M'kay, I wanna join this, but I gots me a question first!

Is there a third in command? My character is mostly a fighter, but reliable to be as loyal as a dog to the captain. Also, would it be not allowed to have 'er be phsychic? Not super powerful, but gets flashes of the future randomly. Since she comes from a gypsie family...

Skittle_Overlord
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby 7achary on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:06 pm

Yeah, the Navigator is by proxy the Second Mate.

As for the precognition thing, one of the major themes of the game is the withering of magic. Precog is basically a Navigator/Pathfinder thing, though not so strong. They have that whole "Second Sight" thing goin' on which allows them to be weary of dangers should they take certain routes. They don't know what dangers, just ominous and undefinable dangers. Unfortunately, both the position of Pathfinder and Navigator are taken.

I'm sorry, but I think you'll have to either work on another concept or...

Post a character profile without the ability, and who knows? After some time, and if we think you can handle it, we might throw you some precognitive abilities. No promises, though.

7achary
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OriginalSix on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:54 pm

Ey, 7achary, if you're navigator, am I assuming you're the ships pilot as well. Kinda make sense for your character archetype and role.

Whilst I'm here, whats the relative scale between our ship and the merchant vessel we're gonna plunder? They have more crew or cannon, and are we gonna have to grapnel on board?

Also nice to know a little more about Bakarr's pathfinder abilities, before I find myself using em.

OriginalSix
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby 7achary on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Sorry, the magic was my responsibility and I've been lax. I'll post an updated magic system within the next few days.

Yes, but we'll be using the term "helmsman" is place of pilot. Others can steer, they just need a "skymark." I'll point out a star or something and tell you to head in that direction or follow that cloud.

7achary
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:50 pm

Alright, I've based the Dark Lady off of the French warship, Le Requin, which was a Xebec-frigate and her specs were:

186 feet, .25 inches long

33 feet, 7. 14 inches wide

I gave her a crew of two hundred (64 rowers) and twenty canon (the le Requin had 24).

Now the Carrack I based off the Madre de Deus, a Portuguese carrack and the specs for the ship are:

165 feet long

47 feet wide

With a crew of 120 and 12 cannon.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skittle_Overlord on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:23 pm

Name:Arto, just Arto

Race:Half human/Half Elf

Rank/position:Cabin boy

Appearance:Image
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy241/Skittle_Overlord/Arto.jpg
Arto stands at 5'5", and has a very slender build. Thankfully she hasn't many curves and her chest is small, making her appear more of a delicate nature. Her eyes are icey gray and the only inperfection of her skin lies in her hands, which are cloused from her work as cabin boy. She used to have long hair, but she cut it short to a more customary shoulder length. Arto looks almost like a doll, thanks to the elf blood in her, she hides the fact that she is a bastard half elf by hiding her slightly pointed ears behind her hair. Her legs are long and agile.

Arto wears a loose white shirt and brown vest along with cloth too protect and tie down what little chest she has, she also wears loose pants and those slipper shoes as apposed to the normal boots.

Weapons:Throwing knives hidden in various places.
Although this isn't a weapon, it's still kinda important; a flute she can play beautifully

Bio:Arto was abandoned by a mother she never knew, and taken in by a band of money hungry gypsies. The woman that adopted Arto took care of several children, in exchanged for their services as little thieves. Arto took to her training well; she was a good decoy, and an even better pickpocket. Arto’s long fair hair and forget-me-not eyes entrapped passerby’s attention as easily as her smooth fingers robbed them. She became the leader of this little band quickly, making the band’s mother proud. Arto was even taught how to throw knives by the band’s mother, in case one of the other kids needed saving from a sticky situation. It was hard to catch a slippery kid with a knife imbedded in your hand.

The dream team could only last so long though, eventually they ran into some wealthy merchants who had gotten robbed more than once, and were smart enough to hire guards. They got themselves into quite the mishap, Arto got away, while making sure the other kids did too, but in the process she had to hide on a ship, and it took off before she could get off. Thinking quickly she cut her knee length pretty hair and dug up some cabin boy clothes. Luckily she stayed out of notice until hitting land again, she had only stowed away on a cargo ship.

Away from her adoptive family, Arto wandered around port, in search of someone with a jingling pocket. She ended up trying to pick pocket none other than a pirate, and was caught. He threatened to have Arto's head, which scared the bageeses out of her. The look on her face made the pirate laugh, and in the few seconds that he spent laughing, Arto wiggled out and ran for it. The pirate was surprised by her agility, and she managed to escape onto another ship. Her luck ran out, and she was on no simple cargo ship. She was on a stinkin pirate ship. The boatswain saw her on deck and questioned, Arto barely had enough nerve to voice that she was a cabin boy, and lucky her, there was an opening. Could she die? Maybe, but Arto didn’t want to make the massive man angry, and she could see the other pirate still looking for her on deck. Arto quickly nodded and accepted the job. Arto had no idea what she was getting herself into, all she had going for her was a good aim, theiving skills, and a flute she could play some songs on. If her disguise is found, she could be killed, raped, or thrown overboard, yay. Oh well, at least she has a steady job instead of being some street rat. She's been on board for a couple of months, and the work has been murder on her muscles and nerves. She is showing some promise though......
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Skittle_Overlord on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Skittle_Overlord
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby 7achary on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:52 pm

Well, two things before we go on to talk about you joining us. And I hate to keep bringing bad news like this, but pirates are a raping and superstitious lot. No matter the captain's orders, somebody, or somebodies, would take advantage of her. Plus, it's bad luck to have a woman on board. We'd lose sailors faster than we could find them.

Secondly, you can only have one character. We may allow multiple characters in the future, but as of now, it's just one.

Edit whichever character you keep and we'll talk.

7achary
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skittle_Overlord on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:09 pm

Alrighty!

Edited, is that more acceptable?

Skittle_Overlord
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby 7achary on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:27 pm

Ok, make her older with a bit more of a physical description, and you're aboard. If you're found out Captain get's first dibs, that goes for any of you deck swabbin' ladies. I beg of you both, don't ever ask for pity or aid if you're found out, just run away. This will be the only half-breed allowed, it makes sense with less elves. As a matter of fact, that's the only elf allowed. HAHA!

7achary
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:38 pm

Remember, we're corsairs, flashy pirates, not the nicest of people.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skittle_Overlord on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:41 pm

I had no intention of getting mercy.....not that Arto would need it, she's full of surprises.

Ok, older and appearance changed. Also, what would she have to do in order to get promoted?

Skittle_Overlord
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Welcome aboard.

As for promotion, survive and be ruthless with an enemy crew, capture a lot of slaves for sail, find something really really shinny.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiix on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 pm

Shinny things are good!!!
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸If Music Be The Food of Love¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Don't forget to HUG a gamer!

Tiix
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skittle_Overlord on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:17 am

Just a suggestion, but, wouldn't the other ship have Gillocs too?

Skittle_Overlord
Member for 15 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!