Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Where do we draw the line?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Re: Where do we draw the line?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dig17 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:21 pm

It's not okay to get rid of the child ever. There is no 'point' where it becomes or doesn't become alive; it's always been alive, it started out alive when the sperm fertilized the egg. From that point on it's constantly making progress, and that is the essence of life. Stopping the process at any point is killing something. It may not be technically 'homo sapien' at certain intervals, but it's GROWING into a member of our species and that's what is important.

I hate it when females say that they can do whatever they want with their body; they may be harvesting a child, but it's definitely not their body that's growing inside them. A worm inside of a snake is still a worm, not an extension of the snake's body. Women can have all the control over their body that they want; leave your child's body out of it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dig17
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:28 pm

jajganker wrote:Is it okay to abort at all?

Obviously I think it is.

How can you tell whether or not the fetus is thinking cognitively?

Science.

How do you determine whether it's alive or no?

Irrelevant. Trees are alive; bacteria is alive.

Does a lack of complete development mean that it isn't a person?

I'm not sure when exactly a fetus becomes a person, and opinions will vary. It's probably somewhere in the third trimester.
Alternative roleplaying forums, chat, and Etherpad

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:34 pm

jajganker wrote:Is there such thing as a "casual" abortion?

Well, I consider "casual" abortions to be for non-serious reasons, such as just not wanting the baby.

Though, if you let it get to the third trimester, is it still okay to completely get rid of the child?

Probably.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:38 pm

dig17 wrote:It's not okay to get rid of the child ever. There is no 'point' where it becomes or doesn't become alive; it's always been alive, it started out alive when the sperm fertilized the egg. From that point on it's constantly making progress, and that is the essence of life. Stopping the process at any point is killing something. It may not be technically 'homo sapien' at certain intervals, but it's GROWING into a member of our species and that's what is important.

Okay, so it's killing something. What's intrinsically wrong with murder? We murder things all the time and are perfectly fine with it.

I hate it when females say that they can do whatever they want with their body; they may be harvesting a child, but it's definitely not their body that's growing inside them. A worm inside of a snake is still a worm, not an extension of the snake's body. Women can have all the control over their body that they want; leave your child's body out of it.

Except it is an extension of the woman's body. In any case, it's just your opinion against mine right here. Nothing that can really else be said.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jajganker on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:40 pm

So, how do we know who's opinion is the right one?
"Meet me once again down off Lake Michigan where we can feel the storm blowing down with the wind. And don't apologize for all the tears you've cried. You've been way too strong now for all your life."-Closer to Love by Mat Kearney

jajganker
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:50 pm

jajganker wrote:So, how do we know who's opinion is the right one?

Whichever opinion ends up taking hold is the "right" one.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jajganker on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:52 pm

Oh, so you're saying that Hitler's opinion was right because it took hold in Germany?

jajganker
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:54 pm

jajganker wrote:Oh, so you're saying that Hitler's opinion was right because it took hold in Germany?

Yes. "Right".

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jajganker on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:00 pm

So doing horrid things is okay as long as it is a societal norm?

jajganker
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:00 pm

jajganker wrote:So doing horrid things is okay as long as it is a societal norm?

"Okay" to whom? In what sense?

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jajganker on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Okay as in, nothing to worry about.

jajganker
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:04 pm

jajganker wrote:Okay as in, nothing to worry about.

It depends on who you ask.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dig17 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:05 pm

There's no such thing as right or wrong, there is only truth. Opinion is artificial.

dig17
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:08 pm

dig17 wrote:There's no such thing as right or wrong, there is only truth. Opinion is artificial.

I agree. However, opinion is all we've got a lot of the time; and all we can ever have is perceptions of truth.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jajganker on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Thus, this entire discussion is a moot point because everything depends on opinions?

jajganker
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:12 pm

jajganker wrote:Thus, this entire discussion is a moot point because everything depends on opinions?

Most discussions are entirely dependent on opinion. However, that doesn't make them moot, per se. They can lead to the formation of "better" opinions.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:38 pm

dig17 wrote:There's no such thing as right or wrong, there is only truth. Opinion is artificial.

You can't act on truth without an opinion; a pile of facts does nothing. Ethics may be artificial, but it is the art that determines how we behave in a practical sense.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dig17 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:13 pm

There is a difference between truth and opinion. For example: the cup on my desk exists. I can touch it, smell and taste its contents, hear it knock against the desktop, and I see it quite clearly. This is a pile of facts; the ultimate fact that the cup exists is not just a truth, but a universal truth. No one can dispute that it does not exist, unless their opinion on quantum mechanics or reality in general differs. However, it is not my OPINION that the cup exists. One cannot challenge the fact that it exists, but acting on any truth requires a purpose, which is a completely different 'cup' of tea.

dig17
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:18 pm

If by exist, all you mean is that it appears to you, then sure. The cup, as an appearance to you, is a cup. To go any farther than that, and to claim that the cup's existence is a universal truth, is a bit excessive. If it wasn't for you observing it, it wouldn't exist at all, even by the definition of existence as appearance: if you aren't perceiving it, it doesn't exist (appear) at all.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dig17 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:29 pm

Not true; if I am not perceiving it, it still exists. If it stays on my desk when I go to sleep, it will continue to exist. That is a truth. Existence does not depend on perception, because if something did not exist, I would not be able to perceive it anyway. God is not observable, but many people, myself included, consider Him to exist anyway.

dig17
Member for 15 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!