Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Will The Geeks Inherit the Earth?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Will The Geeks Inherit the Earth?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Wed May 18, 2011 11:27 am

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs probably weren’t the coolest kids in high school, but look at them now. Most jocks and cheerleaders did not grow up as professional athletes or head to Hollywood. So does being a geek mean you’ll be more successful later in life?

Alexandra Robbins, a journalist, lecturer, and author, delivers a new book called the Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth. Robbins focuses on following seven students in public and private high school for a whole year. She concludes that what makes a student popular does not make them happy or successful after they graduate. So the attention, the good looks, the visibility, and being at the top won’t necessarily give you a successful life or career.

“Be nice to the nerds: they will be your boss one day!” – So is this good news for the geeks? Being unpopular translates to being successful. Companies tend to hire individuals who are smart or think in unique ways.

Do you actually believe in Robbin’s findings? Do you think geeks tend to grow up successful and the popular grow up with failures? Share below what you think

Quoted from yahoo answers.

It got me thinking, this is an interesting thing to debate. As there are many groups on here, whether teens or much older and have now got families. Not all the roleplayers are geeks/nerds, but what are the thoughts of everyone here?

I'd love if it made a difference, but as of now I'm unemployed and trying to find a job, all the while I'm trying to strengthen my photography, thus I can eventually become a professional. But as of right now, things look shall we say less than good.

But that's only my experience, and thought I'm a nerd I only buckled down after high school, I only got one higher and it's in History.

So what's other experience here, discuss?
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Will The Geeks Inherit the Earth?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Wed May 18, 2011 1:46 pm

People will pick the person they like the most regardless of what their personal style is.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Alucroas
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Opossum on Wed May 18, 2011 5:56 pm

I can certainly understand what the summary is of that kind of attitude, and maybe it's the fact that they have the thesis in a nutshell, but it's really shallow to claim that because you're popular in high school you won't claim success. The correlation of geekdom in life making you millions isn't realistic either.

What can make a difference is life choices and knowing people who can give you opportunities. If those opportunities work out, it's a great investment. There's a lot of people who do the same thing as wealthy entrapeneurs and don't get the same outcome. It could be location, advertisement, financial stability of the product, timing of the release, the endorsement. Endorsement is a big key, I think. Making a name for yourself is like selling yourself or your product to be what the "right" people are looking for. The right people depends on what you're trying to put out there, but general they've got the resources to endorse what you're trying to produce. And then consumers purchase it, and the larger the positive population of consumers, the public credibility of your product goes up in quantity and quality.

It's ingenuity. If you want to define genius, I think on a general definition in the case of entrapeneuring or financial wealth it's ingenuity of the subject you choose to focus on. But it is definitely NOT a singular force of power like people LOVE to put in Steve Jobs and Bill freakin' Gates. Trust me, they have thousands of Plebes running around, cutting down expenses and throwing up product ideas all the time. They're running companies that have so many seperate fractions working together for its system--it's a group effort.

Opossum
Member for 15 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sciamancer on Wed May 18, 2011 9:33 pm

For the most part, intelligence, connections, and luck affect to success. Luck, of course, is just a skewing factor; luck isn't affected by anything.

Unpopularity is related to introversion. Introversion and intelligence are related. It follows that unpopular people are more likely to be intelligent, but this is not always the case. I know plenty of people who are unpopular and incredibly stupid. Woe is them.

As for connections, popularity can affect that. Rich people tend to be popular, and they have greater connections. You're obviously more likely to be successful if you have rich parents.

So yes, unpopularity and success may seem to be related, but they are indirectly related. A more solid connection would be between intelligence and success. I doubt very much that one who is very popular but very intelligent would be likely to fair worse than someone who is very unpopular and very stupid.
1. Join ASCO
2. Fight the monster.
3. Protect the people.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Sciamancer
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ChinaDoll on Sat May 21, 2011 1:02 pm

Nah, I'm leaning more towards what Idiocracy predicted if you've seen that amusing film. :)

ChinaDoll
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lukisod on Sat May 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Politicians will inherit the earth. By politician I mean those people most adept at creating a web of connections and can recognize the value of people based on what they have to offer them. People achieve greatness because they know the right people either deliberately or by accident. So if you had to chose an attribute, learn to either know people, or know someone who will know those people for you.
"Perhaps we should perform a study on the effectiveness of studies?"

Lukisod
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby warthog on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:39 am

I think that the way the world is growing with more tech every day that the geeks will deffintly prosper

warthog
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!