Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Winter Rose: the garden of a wish... {Horror Interest Check}

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Winter Rose: the garden of a wish... {Horror Interest Check}

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:11 pm

So much interest. o_o We now have around 10 people planning to submit (10 players is probably the max I can handle here), so I'm giving them first shot.

A seed without roots may wither and wither.

A leaf with no sun may despair.

A branch that is hewn may never recover.

They bloom in the crystalline air…

Introduction

Wake up.

The air carries the scent of ice. It’s the kind of cold that stings your skin, burns your lungs, and creeps into your bones. There’s a dusting of snow on the ground. It crunches with each step you take.

A house sprawls before you. Its classic architecture is painted soft cream and roofed in brown. With the snow, it resembles a sugar-frosted gingerbread house. Then again, at three stories, it's more of a gingerbread manor.

Should you turn around, you’ll see something else – something as red as fresh-spilled blood. The clearing is surrounded by a briar ring abloom with roses. The bushes are entangled, choked so tight and so thick you can’t see beyond. If you crane your head, giant pines loom overhead. But the roses – the roses have no end. No entry. No opening.

What is this? Why are you here?

No answer comes.

Explanation

This is the interest check for Winter Rose: the garden of a wish.... Inspired by j-horror, the gothic genre, fairy tales, and all things creepy, this game will tell the tale of three to five strangers trapped on the grounds of a mysterious house (perhaps more, if necessary, but five is a nice number). Not one remembers how they got here, and it doesn't look like they'll be leaving anytime soon. Although it's the dead of winter, this place - Rose Manor - is surrounded by a circle of roses in full, luscious bloom. But with roses come thorns, and these are no exception. The brambles are so thick and so strong, it's impossible to enter. Your would bleed as red as the roses themselves. No matter how many are cut down, more seem to spring in the way.

(The guests will be staying for tea...)

With a focus on exploration, the goal of the game will be to unravel the secrets of Rose Manor, but the task won't be easy. Although it looks normal - if lavish - inside, this house doesn't play by the rules. Strange presences, secret passages, and spectacles straight out of dreams...

But it's not a dream. This world is as real as the harm it can do. Perhaps these guests can find a way to return, but first they'll have to survive.

Characters

What does it take to get on the guest list? Player characters will be modern humans from a world much like our own. They will be perfectly aware of who they are but, as noted, no idea how they got to Rose Manor. Their possessions will be limited to what one might reasonably carry on their person on an average day. The clothes on their backs should follow suit -- office clothes, evening dress, pajamas, it's all fair game, for no one knows when they came, either. Any cellphones or networked devices will not function (at least not in the normal way), and there's no electricity in the manor anyway. All in all, no magic, no scifi, just ordinary people.

Or... perhaps not so ordinary. Well-developed, fully realized characters are encouraged. It's perfectly acceptable to get to know your character as things progress, but you should have at least a basic idea of their background. It could be important. It is quite acceptable - even encouraged - for your character to have something in their past that may haunt them. This is far from a requirement, but sometimes the most frightening demons are the ones we harbor, hmm?

At any rate, I would like to know your character's past (including any major skeletons in their closet) before we begin. If you wish to keep it a secret, feel free to PM me. Secrets are also encouraged. Keeps people your characters can't necessarily trust guessing, doesn't it? But trust will be valuable when they can get it or fake it. After all, safety in numbers.

Play Style and Expectations

This will be freeform, but my GMing will have elements of tabletop style. As always, I'm looking for people with a decent grasp of the English language that will be creative and dedicated! It's nice if everyone can post at least once a week, but that's not a strict requirement. Life gets in the way, oh yes it does. There is no minimum or maximum post length; the main thing I'm looking for is your ability to move the RP forward and give others something to respond to.

Your characters will generally have all the free will in the world. However,things may happen to your character that are beyond the character’s immediate control. Given the strange and unpredictable nature of the house, even the simplest of actions could bear consequences. Remember this as your character explores and interacts with objects. Rose Manor's reality is its own.

It will work as follows: if it’s something other characters can perceive (e.g. your character begins to float off the ground in front of everyone), I’ll simply write it in the RP text. If it’s something only your character can perceive (e.g. your character alone hears a deep moan), I’ll PM you the information.

This will not be an excuse to maim or kill your character unfairly (as usual, your character will be able to take any reasonable action to avoid attacks). The goal is to provide challenges for characters to solve or work around – challenges that are hopefully fun, surprising, and maybe even a little unsettling. Some events may also provide hints to the mysteries of Rose Manor. Please only join if you’re okay with this kind of GM input.

Status

I have the basic framework for the plot down, but I still have a lot of work to do. This is pretty ambitious compared to my normal GMing style. I've started mapping the house, and that shouldn't take more than a few days to finish; I'll need to know its structure before play can begin. However, the story itself will require a lot of careful thought. I want you all to have fun without ever getting totally stuck, and I certainly don't want to railroad you.

Thus, this may take a bit of time... but it will happen. (My boyfriend will probably cry if it doesn't. Do you think I'm heartless? :v) For now, I'd like to hear feedback, suggestions, and if you want, we can start discussing character concepts!

... forgive me for all the clichés, by the way. I could not resist.
Last edited by Marionette on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Yes, please. :D An exploration-based horror roleplay? Count me in. ^_^ I love that the introduction paints it as so peaceful... except for the ominous presence of the roses. It makes me think of a scene involving a character becoming so desperate to escape that they attempt to push their way through, anyway, obviously getting incredibly lacerated along the way.

I often have trouble coming up with well-rounded "ordinary" characters, but I, oddly enough, thought of a concept while reading the intro. :| My brain works in mysterious ways. Still needs fleshing out, though. Would you be open to the possibility of multiple characters?
Roleplays
Godhood - Modern Fantasy on a god-like scale
The Limbs Market - Dystopian Biopunk

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Fox in a Lab Coat
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Winter Rose: the garden of a wish... {Horror Interest Ch

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:39 pm

Glad you're interested! Ordinary is relative and not necessarily a prerequisite. xD And heh, thanks. "Unsettlingly charming" is what I was going for.

I am open to the idea of multiple characters, but I'd like to see how many people are interested first. I'd rather the party not get too big, so I want to give people a chance to get in if they want to. If there's room, though, it's perfectly fine.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CKTheHappyPig on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:43 pm

Wow, this sounds really interesting. I'd love to be a part of this. The contrast between a fairy-tale appearance and a sinister nature...I love it.

Unfortunately, it's half-past midnight where I am, so I'll think on some character concepts and post again tomorrow if that's okay?

Although, I'm thinking a dark spin on classic fairy-tales would be an interesting path to take for both setting and characters.
Keep flying. Stay shiny.

CKTheHappyPig
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Oh yeah, that's fine. No rush on the character concepts. Like I said, this is going to take me some time to work out properly.

I'm working on a unique (hopefully :P) mythos for Rose Manor that will draw inspiration from multiple places. Some fairy tale elements will probably be incorporated, but I wasn't going too hardcore in the direction of fairy tale reinterpretation. I actually do that really often, so to not do so will be a change of pace. xD

Marionette
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Romaneck on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 pm

Well this is interesting indeed, somehow, someway the manor reminded me of amnesia the dark descent, you know this comfortable and regal place that you cant escape and that has something in there with you, however I might be a blight into this RP since I dont roll modern characters that often and most of those are based on myself, since its better to writte about what you know.

While it has been explained that characters would be in the building with the clothes in them would this extend to backpacks? I am not suggesting having a swiss army fix-it-all tool but something credible like having bike tools and duct tape (for all the good they will do)

I am afraid I cant come up with convincing dark backstory for a character, you know what they say, rape is the new deadparents but I think I can come up with somethings for my character that do not involve traumatic childhood or sex, im thinking death, faith, uncertainty on the future and expectations on self
"Incessant wind sweeps the plain. It murmurs on across grey stone, carrying dust from far climes to nibble eternally at the memorial pillars. There are a few shadows out there still but they are the weak and the timid and the hopelessly lost.

It is immortality of a sort.

Memory is immortality of a sort.

In the night, when the wind dies and silence rules the place of glittering stone, I remember. And they all live again."

Romaneck
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:23 am

I actually haven't played Amnesia. I'm a bit afraid to, given all the hype... though I'm not actually that scared of most horror media anymore, I used to get so scared of every movie that I'd stay up all night in sheer terror, so I'm careful about scary movies and games. :P

Yes, a backpack (or messenger bag or purse or any kind of thing that you could wear) with everyday items would be fine.

Haha, a dark back story is not a prerequisite either, so don't feel pushed. If the characters led completely happy, uneventful lives, that is perfectly fine too (and preferable to a poorly done ~so tragic I shed tears of pure darkness~ story like we see so often). It was just a suggestion that a character having something they regret or something about the past that bothers them or that they struggle with could be fun to play with.
Last edited by Marionette on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marionette
Member for 15 years

*Climbs into the topic and begins to build a nest*

Guuuurl you KNOW I am on this like yellow on Big Bird. 8D

BaronVonFruitypants
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nazerathe on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:53 am

Oooooooh this captures so much of my favorite things and I am actually excited by the GM input as the house acts against them! Can I play? Is there still room? Pretty please !? Oh, and a thought...can there be old music that plays by itself..especially if it was supposed to be cheerful music for its time period...maybe I'm just channeling too much Rose Red. I have a couple thoughts for characters but I kinda want to see what other people have in mind first so I can try and fill in a party hole or not have anything in the same subtype as someone else.

nazerathe
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:04 am

Baron- But of course! <3 <3 <3

nazerathe- If everybody who's noted interest submits a profile when the game is up, I think that makes you the fifth, so yeah, stick around. :D

And this game wouldn't be complete without creepy music popping up somewhere.

Marionette
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CKTheHappyPig on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:21 pm

Hmm, I think I have an idea for a skeleton in the closet. =3

I'm pretty sure it's not too cliched, either. Not to mention it would create some interesting tension with other characters, sowing the seeds of mistrust....Of course, it still needs fine-tuning.

I'm looking forward to this ^_^

CKTheHappyPig
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Celedia on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Wow, Marionette. I have to say I am impressed with the concept. I can't wait to see what you do with the game itself if you've put this amount of information and thought into the interest check!
"...you know we've fuckin' broken down as a society when people just explode in forests." ~Gasmask in The Unexplainable.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Celedia
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alise120 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Seems very intriguing....will follow and lurk in the shadows....
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Alise120
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Celedia- Thank you very much! I just hope I can deliver. .w.;;

Alise- You're welcome to the shadows... but one never knows what else is lurking. ;D

Marionette
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alise120 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:31 am

Then, my dear Marionette, I shall be extra cautious... ;)

Oh and I got a character already fleshed, perfectly, out of my head for this rp.

Alise120
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby -=Nemesis=- on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 pm

This role play looks very intriguing. Nothing like a good horror. I'm interested.

-=Nemesis=-
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 am

As a general note, I've made some progress on mapping and background establishment. I still have a lot of planning to do, though. Need lots of fun stuff.

I've been wondering, though, how I should do this on the tab. Either everything will be in one posting area (just "Rose Manor"), or I could make a different location for each room. That way I could just put the room description in each location's description rather than having to feed it piece by piece. Y'all could just read it when you enter the room and work with it, and that would make things go pretty smoothly. Couple of problems here, though. First, hidden/currently unaccessible rooms obviously couldn't be made into locations until you all actually made it there, so as not to spoil them. That could lead to lag in being able to continue the RP if it takes me time to add them. Second, that's a lot of locations to keep track of for posting! Open to thoughts on this.

Also trying to decide whether I should have a "PC," human or otherwise. I dunno. I'll be doing NPCing, but lots of event-based NPCs, not really anything that sticks with you the entire time so far. What do you all prefer? From my standpoint, it can be helpful, but I have to figure out how I want to do it.

Nemesis- Thank you for your interest!

Marionette
Member for 15 years

I would be happy with either, personally. *Totally not helpful at all!* Separate rooms is more organized and I dig that, but at the same time it's a lot more to keep track of so... Yeah. XD Though for a somewhat more narrative story like this, I might go for a single location. Seems to me it'd be easier to watch the story unfold in the same location at once, if I make any sense.

As for whether or not you have a player character, it basically depends on whether you'd add them to the count of how many you want in the game maximum, I should think. If you've only got five spots like you mentioned before, and you counted yourself as one, that wouldn't leave a lot of room for other folks, but if you gave yourself a char and just added that to the five then that'd be awesome. : D

BaronVonFruitypants
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:26 am

Well, you still have the option of seeing everything in the Activity section of the game, it's just keeping track of where to post when there are that many different places (as far as I know, posts can't be moved either, but I could be wrong). If that is more of a burden to you all than otherwise, let me know.

Nah, it wouldn't count toward the spots. I wouldn't push somebody out just so I could have a "PC." xD Wouldn't be participating in the game the same as others would be, and it wouldn't add to the workload in the same way either (or at least it shouldn't).

Marionette
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Meesha on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:06 pm

This looks extremely interesting, what a bitter/sweet introduction you gave Marionette. I would definetely be interested in joining this roleplay, there is obviously a decent channel of interest going on and for good reason.

Refering to the different rooms, due to this being quite an intense roleplay I don't think it would be too much bother to have the different rooms on different tabs, it would certainly help maintain consistancy towards description etc. Players should not forget to ensure their posts are in the correct tabs due to this being the sort of roleplay where you have a good think about what you're going to write. At least that's the impression I got.

Meesha
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!