Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

World of Aventime: Discussion and Brainstorming.

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

World of Aventime: Discussion and Brainstorming.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:31 pm

Right then lads and ladies, I'm sorry if I appear somewhat 'new', to the gateway, but none the less I don't find myself lacking of roleplay experience in this manner, now as of late, i've been hungering to setup a decent forum based roleplay scene for myself and others, now being unsure of how to go about it, i've decided to ask here.

I've recently begun detailing lore, backstory and background of a fictional world I now call Aventime, now obviously theres a couple of things I want to know from you lot, firstly, would it work? what could I do to improve on it? any ideas you could add? what do you think it lacks? and so on, this is to be a general discussion for anyone interested in it, if I gather enough backing or support, if I can further the idea of it enough, i'll try and take it off the ground, but for now, the following is what i've drafted, and note, i've got a obvious list at the bottom of the post, on what I see currently I need to work on, a bit of clarification on that if people agree or disagree would be nice on that too.

Change Log:
03 July 2008:
    Updated Pantheon with new god; Duamin
    Updated Pantheon with brief note on evil Gods
    Fixed some Typo's and errors

The World of Aventime
Aventime is a long lived world, steeped deep in fantasy and lore pertaining many of its aspects, there are tales spun of Dragon’s scorching the skies, sea monsters dragging unfortunate souls to the depths, there are tales of nymphs spiriting away men in the night for their pleasure’s and of valiant Knights putting a end to many a evil. These tales are told every night around campfires and amongst the hearty drinking of taverns, they are the stuff that gives fire to men’s heart and drives them to their deeds of nobility ever present, it also, on a darker note, drives many down the path of despairing evil, in hopes of ever more power.

The Races
As time has gone, only Man lives amongst this world, with their ever nerving ability to unbalance the ecosystem, killing off entire species in search of food and land, many of the older races have gone into hiding, or worse, are but mere tales lost to the sands of time. Man is at heart, a chaotic race, many may do deeds of great honour and goodness, whilst many others, many live uncaring for the World, living their own life in ignorance. Some, the darker sort, seek to twist things for their own benefit, always willing to use most means available to succeed where others would shudder at the thought.
As tales tell more frequently, sightings of the other races have been known, always ready to hide though; no contact has been had between Man and the Elves or the Dwarves in several hundred years.
In many regions where the primal evils of the land dwell, creatures and races bred for cruelty dwell at their master’s feet, always hoping to be given reward for their pitiful work, Orcs and Goblins fight with Man across the lands of Aventime, pillaging and murdering whatever may come under their path, warlike in nature, these two races serve readily as cannon fodder in most battles of man versus evil, I would of said good versus evil, but man is naturally born to be neutral, and can swing in either direction.
Other races dwell amongst the world, from boulder crushing Ogres and mountain crushing giants, to Dragons, Basilisks and many other creatures too ancient to name, always the cave tempting man with riches buried beneath, these creatures are found, only to be fed for another day by someone’s greedy thoughts.

The World Itself

Aventime is as vastly different as any world, from snow capped mountain tops to rolling deserts of heat and lost souls, this world supports much life, within its stretching forests and jungles animals make their day to day business of staying alive, of hunting, mating and sleeping; plant life is varied and as dangerous, and helpful, as it can be, where as one herb can cure sickness, the other will cause it.
The world of Aventime, has been chaotic at best, it has suffered enough blows to decimate most life, but as always, it manages to hang on, this time, was known as the Wailing Era, known as such for tales of the screaming of life as it was so meticulously snuffed out by whichever evil decided to assault these lands. This era was known in many tales of endless nights, where smog and smoke snuffed out the light of the sky, where shadows prowled through the day, preying upon the lost traveller, where peaceful animals went berserk and bloodthirsty, attacking man and beast alike at random. Blood ran through the streets of the cities and none were left unscarred, none were exempt from the brutal torture of this era.
How the Wailing ended, few knew, some say a hero smote down the evil, some say the evil merely grew tired of toying with the world, moving onto the next in hopes of greater amusement, some say he saw pity, but regardless, one day it all seemed to be gone, and man was left to rebuild life, history was lost, technology was lost, but life was preserved.

Society as it Stands
After the comeback from the Wailing, Man declared to setup a monarch society, under the reign of King Eduard, the general of the standing army at the time of the Wailing, who saved most of those who now can say they survived the Wailing.
Within a Monarch society, Cities are being rebuilt and the world and its people slowly recover, with a drastically damaged standing army the human nation appears open to attack from any threat, whether it be another race, or evil once again, within this world after the Wailing, numerous sub groups exist.

The Monarchy: The Monarchy, is the reigning government, they decree all the current laws and legislation upon the common Man, and currently seek to reunite and cause the survival of those who lived through the Wailing, ruled by King Eduard.

The Church of Aventime: The Church is the standing voice of the Pantheon, the holy men and women of the World, those who walk the streets, granting Aventime’s blessings upon those who seek them. Further information on the Pantheon is further down. This Church is lead by the High Priestess Artelia.

The Darkening: This shadowy group, known little of and those whom know speak of it only in whispers, they are the shadows of the dark, the knife in your back, whilst their goals are unknown, and their leader is known merely as the Serpent, they are appear to be neutral in any dispute.

The Wailers
: As in all societies, there are riotists, nay-Sayers, doom callers and going down the line, those whom would go against progress and the survival of Man, these are the Wailers, named after the Era that spawned them, ready to cut down a man in the street for being happy to be alive, they are the enemy of all who seek a free life, cultists and dark magicians live within their ranks and rumours spread of their intention to cause the great evil to return.

The Pantheon
(Note, Pantheon incomplete, further ideas are being worked on.)
There are a number of deities within the world of Aventime, each representing a specific area or aspect of life and the world.

Aventime: Named after the world man dwells upon, or perhaps he named the world after himself, Aventime is the lord and ruler of all gods, the others bow at his presence, whilst individually he controls no specific aspect of the World, if he so chose to, he could turn all to dust, or stop death at his own whim. Aventime is also known as the Aventime the Father, or Aventime the Creator, for he created all life.
Aventime is often depicted as being of noble figure, clean shaven and in royal garb sat upon a throne, the image of a true king.

Sarantium
: Sarantium is the god of adventure or so he is depicted, Explorers would rally to his banner and many who would seek to dive into the depths of forgotten lands in search of fame and treasure would pray to him for good bounty, also called Sarantium the Explorer, or Sarantium of the Search, for he brings about the explanation for many mysteries to man.
Sarantium is shown in artwork as a figure of exploration, in toughened leathers and somewhat dishevelled, the most popular statue and concept of his display is of him gazing down into a darkened cave, torch in hand ready to explore.

Grandic
: Grandic is the god of war, battle and of justice, tales tell of him leading the charge in the ancient battle of god’s amongst the skies and heavens, noble at heart and nature, he supports honour, even amongst ones enemies and he is often the patron god of soldier’s and heroes', hoping they may gain his insight in battle, keeping themselves alive in the process, Grandic bears many titles, such as Grandic the Valorous or the Bold, Grandic the Gatekeeper for it is he who guards the doors to the pantheon, all who approach it must face him.
Grandic is most often thought of upon his valiant steed, whose steps leave a trail of light in its wake, clad in gleaming plate armour and wielding a gigantic sword, larger than any man may ever carry, ready for battle.

Aremia: Aremia, is the goddess of passion, love, life and surprisingly that of protection against harm, for it is she who laid with Aventime and spawned life to the world, as a mother would she is fiercely protective of her children and possibly the one of the pantheon who has interacted with the world most of all, known to many as Aremia the Mother or Aremia the Guardian, many will pray to her, mother’s will pray to her when they are with child, against stillborn, farmers will pray for their crops to take root and take life, clerics and healers will seek her guidance to keep a hurt soul alive another day.
Aremia is often displayed as a mother would, in simple garments cradling something of worth, temples often depict her cradling the world to her bosom, protective of all life, small or large, that she loves so much.

Igneta: Igneta, is a mysterious goddess, steeped deep within the foundations and creations of magic, like Aremia she is fiercely protective of any who would seek to use her gift, and viciously violent towards those who would go against it, stories tell of a group whom once aimed to strike out magic from the world, in result the leader of the group was struck by lightning in front of hundreds during his savage bashing and preaching against the magic which had saved them from the Wailing. She is known as Igneta the Sorceress, Igneta the Magical and Igneta the Mysterious.
Thought of as a shifty goddess, she is shown in flowing, mysterious robes, scroll and staff in hand as if readying herself for some great work of magic.

Drundr
: Drundr is the god of nature, the world and its mysteries, he is the keeper of knowledge and secrets, the watcher of the forests and mountain peaks, he is said to of taken delight in helping the creation of life, giving it the ability to hide, to keep knowledge hidden, some say if it were not for him, Man would never be able to tell a lie. Known as Drundr of the Secret Glades, or Drundr the Secret Keeper, he knows all and scholars and mages not bent towards Igneta’s path often seek his guidance in their learning, many woodsmen and those whom find themselves with an affinity to nature also seek out Drundr, for his knowledge and compassion of life in the wilds.
He is often painted as a long bearded man, sat upon a log in a forest clearing, with glasses resting upon his nose as he is buried deeply into a interesting book.

Duamin: Duamin is the god of final resting and death, it is he who would greet the lost souls of the departed and take them to their final resting place, some would call him a evil god, some look to him in the wrong light, in nature is a benign god; he took his task willingly so no other celestial being would suffer his fate, for every soul he takes to the other plane, he must hear their tales of woe and suffering, he must experience each of their deaths in turn. Known commonly as Duamin the Deathbringer, he is often cursed as causing the death of an individual, misunderstood, those who understand he is often known as Duamin the Peace-Bringer, for he brings peace unto those whom pass on.
He is often displayed wearing black flowing ropes, holding the reaper's scythe, in truth he is actually in the garb of white, clean robes with a kindly face, with the burdens of all the dead's troubles upon his shoulders, for the last thing the dead would wish to see is the black of death again.

The Dark Pantheon
...There are other gods... dark gods, locked away within the World and the higher planes... their names are lost, but they may be known as Death, Decay, Pestilence and many other titles of horror...

Magic Within Aventime

Magic, is a chaotic power many may use it, but few have the training, the mindset or simply the guts to use it, it is a gift at birth and its presence is also known at birth, as all people who are born with it bear Igneta’s mark, this mark is that of a sunburst, randomly upon the person’s skin.
Magic, at heart, can be dangerous, which is why few are willing to use it due to these dangers, a wrong syllable, a misplaced mark upon their spell weaving or scrolls, perhaps say the wrong alignment of stars and it may cause the death of the user, adversely the correct usage of it can cause extended life, the ability to take a beating, the conjuration of worldly goods and more destructive purposes, its uses are vast and limited only by ones imagination.
Magic and its use, requires training or just innate talent which few possess, it obviously requires the gift of Igneta otherwise they would not be able to tap into the magical leylines that course through the lands of Aventime. Many children bearing her mark will be brought to local spell weavers, within cities as a child they are taken to the Ignetum, named so after their patron goddess, this College or University as it is also known, is the hub of all magical learning.

Now, a quick list of what that is, I have a short overview of the world as it stands, fresh from near destruction it is in a recovery phase, a small pantheon exists and so does a monarchy which has been built from the remainder of humanity, lead by a ex-army leader, Eduard, a religion based upon the pantheon is also present, as are other small sub groups, we know that some races are in hiding, whilst man is dominant in the lands, other races, commonly goblins and orcs as with most fantasy settings, exist, I also have a magic system established, people who are born with it, can use magic, but at costs and limitations, and most require training or need to be born with innate understanding of it. I am unsure if people born without the gift can use it in anyway.

What I currently plan to do to improve;
a) A timeline, I seriously lack a real sense of time and what else has happened, this is a pretty big priority for me.
b) second to top priority, set up geography, i need places, names for places and such, I need habitats for evils, what kind of animals live where? obviously this will be done pretty soon.
c) Finalize up on the pantheon and how magic works, mainly add a few gods and see if people born without the ability to use magic can somehow use it, through objects of power or otherwise.
d) create a list of important artefacts in the world, is there anything left behind by the gods when they created the world? is there that stupendously powerful sword of light buried in the darkest dungeons?

And so on, obviously I have some direction, but outside input would be welcome.
Last edited by Nyxeth on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:21 am, edited 7 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: World of Aventime: Discussion and Brainstorming.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hoktoi on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:01 pm

I have to say I took a lot in, so I can't really give you much right now. All I can say is it looks interesting, and I'd join. If I can think of any input to suggest I'll let you know.

The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them.”
~Thomas Merton

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

hoktoi
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:18 am

Thanks for the feedback, I've done similar things to this during my days DMing D&D and adminning previous roleplay forums but lately i've been rather stumped for ideas, as it stands now i'm sat drawing a possible map of the world so I have a better understanding of its geography, as merely detailing the geography in words might take far too long than neccesary.
Last edited by Nyxeth on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CR22 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:45 pm

This looks epic. I really love RP's with a decent background in them, and this has a lot of potential.

So are you planning on starting it now, or after you finish up the last few things?

CR22
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:48 pm

I'll be finishing up a few things, I'm sure the mapping and geography can be brief, or no map at all and look into it if the interest is high.

Otherwise, give it a week and i'll be kick starting it, my time is a bit consumed though between a few other dedications of mine, and helping a friend get their RP started on another forum.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CR22 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:56 pm

Alright. I probably won't be posting too much in the OOC thread until then, I'm kinda busy running my own RP.

CR22
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:01 pm

Clearly understandable, I hope it'll be ready soon since this has been consuming my interest since I first thought of the idea!

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hoktoi on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:59 pm

hmm, I'll be checking this out, when it's up I'll gladly join if I'm welcomed... ^_^

hoktoi
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:49 pm

Post updated, put a change log at the top for anyone tracking the changes.

Also.

If anyone is interested in helping out with any of this, with the creation of the background lore, or the world or are merely interested, i've written a guide on the creation of a fantasy world which i'll update more when it comes to me here:

hopefully-helpful-guide-the-creation-fantasy-world-t7657.html

Its generally the form in which I create a world for myself.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby missa_wiccan_chick on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:04 am

I am intrested in the rp. it sounds really in depth and like it could be fun.
Lemme know if you need any help with the story line, I am a writer, and try my best to make things as elaborate as possible.
" I am the computer ninja!!! I can find anything on the net... five minutes flat!!"
"Life is nothing but a big roller coaster.....make sure you fasten your seat belt."

missa_wiccan_chick
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!