Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Wormhole Suicide?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Wormhole Suicide?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:43 pm

Here's the scenario:

-A man opens a wormhole that goes 2 minutes into the past
-Through the wormhole he sees himself before the wormhole was created
-He shoots a bullet through the wormhole (travelling 2 minutes into the past)
-The bullet kills him (two minutes ago)

Questions:

-who fired the bullet?
-does he die?

Have at it!
-Baba

"RolePlayGateway is proudly powered by obscene amounts of caffeine, duct tape,..." <--Ever notice this at the bottom of the page?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Wormhole Suicide?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:10 pm

I am not good with riddles though. This is hard. D:
(16:12:43) Prose says: Izzy does anything she can get her hands on.
(16:12:54) Namaru says: My god Xorn and Prose you guys totally did a bunch of crazy things, I'm sure
(16:12:54) Prose says: Coke, meth, heroine, crack, pot.
(16:13:06) Prose says: Oh that was really bad timing.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lukisod on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:13 pm

A) Single Universe Timeline: It wouldn't happen. If you were to kill yourself you would prevent the initial conditions which would cause the event to take place, and thus nothing happens. I think it has something to do with a loop being created and eventually the most stable timeline would win out in which you did nothing.

B) Multiverse Timelines: You would kill another instance of yourself in another timeline.
"Perhaps we should perform a study on the effectiveness of studies?"

Lukisod
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Whoa. We've (my friends and I) never had that question answered before and have tried to figure it out all year.

Here's another:

You try to fail but you succeed. What did you do?

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:27 pm

You failed. You succeeded at failing which was your goal in the first place.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:30 pm

But you succedded at something when you wanted to fail at it, which means you failed at failing...So you failed?

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zephyr on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Rats... Lukisod beat me to the punch in answering said riddle... But yes, he is right.

At your newer riddle however, you would have failed; you failed to fail in the initial task, resulting in success, hence, you failed at failing. True, you did fail at something, but that something was not initially what you had set out to fail at. My reasoning stands.
Hello, friends...

Zephyr
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:20 pm

But you were trying to fail in the first place, so did you succeed? :P

It's really more of a riddle for face-to-face because everytime someone rebuttles you say "But you were trying to fail," with emphasis on certain words.

i.e.

"You failed."
"But you were trying to fail."
"Oh...then you succeded."
"But you were trying to fail"

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zephyr on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:24 pm

Hmm, I guess in the general sense of failing and succeeding, you would have done both, and hence neither. But speaking in specifics, as in trying to fail at a specific task, you would have failed.

Zephyr
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:35 pm

You fail (v.tr.) to fail (v.intr.). Therefore, you do the opposite of the intransitive form of the verb: you succeed (v.intr). It's an equivocation.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zephyr on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:36 pm

dealing with it wrote:You fail (v.tr.) to fail (v.intr.). Therefore, you do the opposite of the intransitive form of the verb: you succeed (v.intr). It's an equivocation.

Mind. Blown.

Zephyr
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:55 pm

Tsukihana wrote:Hmm, I guess in the general sense of failing and succeeding, you would have done both, and hence neither. But speaking in specifics, as in trying to fail at a specific task, you would have failed.

I think that's where the question gets confusing. You weren't trying to fail at a specific task, just fail.

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:57 pm

dealing with it wrote:You fail (v.tr.) to fail (v.intr.). ...you succeed (v.intr)...

You were trying to fail. :)

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:29 pm

Sorry to have to nerd out on you here.
Equivocation
Wikipedia wrote:Equivocation is classified as both a formal and informal logical fallacy. It is the misleading use of a term with more than one meaning or sense (by glossing over which meaning is intended at a particular time). It generally occurs with polysemic words.
Semantic shift
The fallacy of equivocation is often used with words that have a strong emotional content and many meanings. These meanings often coincide within proper context, but the fallacious arguer does a semantic shift, slowly changing the context by treating, as equivalent, distinct meanings of the term.
[eg.] "Do women need to worry about man-eating sharks?"

You found you had to stress certain words differently to show that your meaning had shifted. ("...But they're man-eating sharks.")

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nightwraith9 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:41 pm

The dude is in space if its a wormhole right? Does he have a space suit?

Nightwraith9
Member for 13 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:08 pm

dealing with it wrote:Sorry to have to nerd out on you here.
Equivocation
Wikipedia wrote:Equivocation is classified as both a formal and informal logical fallacy. It is the misleading use of a term with more than one meaning or sense (by glossing over which meaning is intended at a particular time). It generally occurs with polysemic words.
Semantic shift
The fallacy of equivocation is often used with words that have a strong emotional content and many meanings. These meanings often coincide within proper context, but the fallacious arguer does a semantic shift, slowly changing the context by treating, as equivalent, distinct meanings of the term.
[eg.] "Do women need to worry about man-eating sharks?"

You found you had to stress certain words differently to show that your meaning had shifted. ("...But they're man-eating sharks.")

*applause*

Thank you, my dear friend, for finally putting an end to the ever nagging question!

*kiss on cheeks like those snobby rich people*

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zephyr on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:22 am

Nightwraith9 wrote:The dude is in space if its a wormhole right? Does he have a space suit?

I don't think you realized how much this post made me laugh; mostly because I couldn't tell if you were serious or not.

Zephyr
Member for 13 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!