Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat ā€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

WOTL: Crafting Heros (RP Tournament)

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

WOTL: Crafting Heros (RP Tournament)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iowa90 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:55 pm

Introduction:

It is said that before a person dies, their life flashes before their eyes. They become obsessed with life and living that they gain strength beyond the average man's capabilities. Their dying testimony is written in the final moments of their life. The adrenaline, the will power... they will not go down without a fight. Be it convicts in a jail or assassins in training, everyone will have to face this final moment.

What is WOTL?

WOTL stands for Will of the Lost, a role playing tournament that will be taking place back to back and each having a different theme. To win this tournament, you must use your skill as a writer as well as logic and cunning to outsmart your fellow competitors.

How do you win?

The game master (me) will give different challenges that you must complete. Usually, people whom do the best get the most points and whomever is still alive by the end of the day phase moves on to the next day. One person at the end of each day phase will be eliminated from the competition.

Theme:

From the title, you should have guessed by now that the theme for this Will of the Lost is Medieval Heros. At the bottom, you will see that you have to send in an application to me with the character that you wish to use.

Special rules for this Theme:

*No magical characters are allowed for the competitors.
*The Planets name will be Z'Tun and the army you fight for is Blrikorv who is ruled by Emperor Vesian.
*This world contains other races but your race can not be elf, demon, or orc.
*Any specialty is allowed excluding mage... please keep in mind that you are suppose to be valiant people that can lead an army. (doesn't mean that you have too)

Requirements:

To enter this game, please look at the below list.
    *You must send in an application based on the topic listed.
    *You must be willing to be active and post once every 72 hours. (Failure to do so will eliminate you)
    *You have to have an avatar and been in at least one roleplay that exceeded five pages. (shows commitment to the site)

Game Mechanics:

The game is divided into day phases that last a certain amount of real life days. (1 game day could = 1 week real life) Each day has a challenge of some sort that you must accomplish before your fellow competitors. In order to do this, you must use a variety of Role Playing skills.

The game master (Me) will establish an objective. Throughout the roleplay, you will use your talent as a writer and the opportunities that the Game Master will gives you too accomplish these missions. Every round, one person will be eliminated from the game till only one person remains.

Objectives: (Not always used)

There will be two objectives each day phase, Major and Minor.
    A) Major
      -The main task that provides the winner with the full five points towards his victory scale. Others will be awarded points depending on how close they came to finishing.
      -Usually consists of something trying such as recovering an artifact, defeating a certain more powerful being, or figuring out a mystery.
    B) Minor
      -Sub optional tasks that gain the player 1 point each for each task completed.
      -will generally be given during the main quest
      -consists of helping NPC characters, finding sub-optimal items, exceptional role playing, good character exchange (romance or friendships), and much more.

At the end of the day, whomever has the most points will be awarded immunity from being eliminated.

Miscellaneous rules:

*Spamming posts will not be a valid tactic for this roleplay. You will have a maximum of two posts every day and no double posting.
*As stated above, if you do not post within 72 hours of each other without valid reasoning then you will be eliminated. (I understand that is harsh considering real life issues come up but this is a competition and you can always enter again next time.)
*There will be a max of 8 competitors for this specific tournament and a minimum of 6.
*Basic battle style rules apply (T-1) should you be forced to fight each other or choose too.

To enter into this competition, you must send in an application.

1.) Your Favorite Role Play you did on this site.

2.) Your schedule of when you are able to post the most and if you can handle the 72 hour rule.

3.) Submit a character sheet of a Warrior, someone whom could be used as a hero of an army.

4.) Write a 100 to 200 word introduction to a story based on a theme of your choice so I can see your writing style.

More rules and specifics to come once the tournament is filled. If you have any questions, post them below. Everything has already been planned out and scheduled by me so I expect this to run fairly smoothly and quickly.

Thanks for showing interest!
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT!!!
"Truth be told... I couldn't lay a finger on the man."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

iowa90
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Donated! Contributor Lifegiver

Re: WOTL: Crafting Heros (RP Tournament)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iowa90 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:57 pm

Player List:

1.Dreicona
2.Sheff
3.DarKnight36
4.OriginalSix
5.Mayhem
6.ForbiddenVerse

Judges:
Skallagram
Iowa90
*Researved*

GameMaster:
Iowa90

Potential Candidates thus far:

1. Dreicona
2. Sheff
3. Ghaarme
4. DarKnight36
6. DaCookie
7. OriginalSix
8. Mayhem
9. ForbinddenVerse
Last edited by iowa90 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

iowa90
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Donated! Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ghaarme on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:22 pm

Nice x3 cant wait for this to start!

Ghaarme
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iowa90 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:28 pm

**ANNOUNCEMENT**

Ok, I will be sending out a mass private message to everyone who is on the candidate list telling them to bookmark this topic. Please keep a close eye as this will be starting within the next week. Deadline to send in applications is Monday, April 26th at 11:59 P.M. central time. Tuesday I will announce the official player list and we shall proceed from there.

Character Skeleton

Most everyone has sent in their characters with their applications. If you are on the final player list, then you will be asked to place your character in thread for everyone to view. In the RP, you may or may not know each other personally, but everyone will know each other by reputation.

Some changes that need to be made to your characters in order to use them for this RolePlay:

1.) They have to be born on this planet. (Z'Tun) I understand that some of your characters have backgrounds but for this instance, they will be forced to participate only in this role play. Once it is over, then you can revert your character back to his old standards.

2.) Use of magic is prohibited, however, there is a loop hole/exception. You are allowed to use enchanted weaponry. For example, you can have a blessed blade that slices through unholy protection. Or perhaps your boots have blessed speed. Just make sure that the enchantments work on their own and are not something that you have to be magically inclined to use.

3.) Give yourself a slight backstory for role playing on this planet. Do not go too in depth as it might clash with someone else's back story, but the purpose of this role play is for everyone to contribute some to the story.

Story Pillars

I am going to go into a little more detail on the backbone of our story, the rest is for everyone else to decide. This will be covered in greater depth once the Player List is announced.

Z'Tun is a standard world, perhaps a few years behind some of its neighbors, but by no means less powerful or willing. The beings there vary in all shapes and sizes. The mighty cyclops in the Northern Blue Mountains and the Gorush, slick snake creatures to the south. Humans and Orcs are common, wagging war among each other for their differences. But perhaps the most interesting creatures of all, are the Dakra.

These colossal elemental beasts control the balance of the world. They roam about the wilderness, aiding the planet in its struggle to maintain its ever growing population. It wasn't until a young philosopher discovered that these creatures had weaknesses that things began to go wrong. Nations clashed for the chance to control each Dakra, but only a handful of beings could take on such mighty beasts. These "heros" as they are called, will be used once again. Now that a greedy Emperor has spoiled the balance of the world, and the Dakras loose and destroying what they normally protect, it is up to the last of the hero's to reign them in... for good.

iowa90
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iowa90 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:38 pm

Votes!

As of this moment, everyone whom wishes to participate in this tournament needs to indicate it here by voting for the following.

*Are you for or against using any kind of magic for your characters? (This includes, but is not limited too, enchanted weaponry and armor as well as spell use.)

iowa90
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dreicona on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:37 pm

My vote is for magic that is limited to enchanted weaponry and/or armor. :D

Dreicona
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sheff on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:16 pm

I agree with the above. Giving the player those sorts of abilities would probably introduce some slight god modding somewhere within the RP, but keeping it to weapons/armor should limit it well.
Obla-di, obla-da, life goes on, brah....

Sheff
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ForbiddenVerse on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:54 am

I vote that the use of magic for the characters should be limited as they are right now. ^^
Image<-- Click Please

ForbiddenVerse
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mayhem on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:22 pm

I would vote for magic under these conditions.

1. You can have only ONE magic item (weapon, armor, or item)

2. You have to describe in detail this item, strengths, weaknesses, duration, recouping, etc...

3. It has to be something that is inherently magical on it's own. You cannot turn the magic on or off.

4. You can not summon the magical abilities of said object through an action, gesture, word, thought or will. (You can't will your sword to flare up in flames etc.)

5. Ideally, the magical item, weapon, armor should have some connection to your character, and you have to explain how you attained it. (For example it would seem odd for a paladin (holy knight) to be wielding a demon forged sword that drains the opponents life)
A back story to the object in question is preferable.

Mayhem
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarKnight36 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:33 pm

Honestly, all my characters have always had magical abilities, and I think it would be refreshing to have a more normal person for once. Magical items seem a bit silly to me, beyond having a sword that is magically enhanced to be sharper or lighter in weight. If you have a magical sword that can burst into flames or suck people's energy, that's an easy way out of this challenge in my opinion.
Until I get a signature image, this is all I have.

DarKnight36
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver World Builder Person of Interest Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dreicona on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:20 am

Mayhem wrote:I would vote for magic under these conditions.

1. You can have only ONE magic item (weapon, armor, or item)

2. You have to describe in detail this item, strengths, weaknesses, duration, recouping, etc...

3. It has to be something that is inherently magical on it's own. You cannot turn the magic on or off.

4. You can not summon the magical abilities of said object through an action, gesture, word, thought or will. (You can't will your sword to flare up in flames etc.)

5. Ideally, the magical item, weapon, armor should have some connection to your character, and you have to explain how you attained it. (For example it would seem odd for a paladin (holy knight) to be wielding a demon forged sword that drains the opponents life)
A back story to the object in question is preferable.

..and I like these specifics even more. Well said. :)

Dreicona
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iowa90 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Hmm... its seems so far that more people are going for magical items at the moment, however, several people whom had wanted to join have yet to make an appearance here. To prove that you will be active in thread, you have to be active pre-game as well. Please insert your opinion on magical items if you have not already.

Something to consider;

Although this is a competition, you will not be fighting each other very often. Everyone will be on one set side and although you are allowed to have your differences with the other competitors in thread which could spark a dual, any fighting that will be done will be against an NPC opponent(s) that will be stronger in some aspect and could very well have magical abilities. So if we do decide on having magical items, they will be limited to defensive items.

iowa90
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarKnight36 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:43 pm

iowa90 wrote:Something to consider;

Although this is a competition, you will not be fighting each other very often. Everyone will be on one set side and although you are allowed to have your differences with the other competitors in thread which could spark a dual, any fighting that will be done will be against an NPC opponent(s) that will be stronger in some aspect and could very well have magical abilities. So if we do decide on having magical items, they will be limited to defensive items.

In that case, armor that is invulnerable to the elements would be nice to have.

DarKnight36
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver World Builder Person of Interest Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OriginalSix on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:24 pm

No magic. I signed up to this thinking it was a straight physical challenge. I'd like it to stay that way.

Also be nice to have an event like this where people dont rely on godpowers to pull through.
You know the goal. You know the path. The only thing that can stop you now is complacency. Go take what's yours.

OriginalSix
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iowa90 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:33 am

After debating the benefits of magical inventory, I have decided to not allow it. I realize that some people wish to have magic with limitations but I must agree with OriginalSix. This tournament was meant to be purely a physical competition, mortals against powerful constructs. If you don't know how well your character would work without his magical buffs, then perhaps that is not the character you should be using for this competition. If you need help getting your mind wrapped around the story and what to expect, think Clash of the Titans and how Perseus chooses to do everything as a mortal and not as a God.

Something will happen ahead of time to limit the effect of elements, such as resistance to poison, heat, or cold, but for now, please submit your character without the addition of magical buffs. The current list is at seven, DaCookie and Ghaarme are no longer apart of this tournament. For the rest of you.... Welcome.

Once I approve your character via PM, then you can post him here. If you do not wish to change the character you submitted, then please PM me and let me know. Thanks to everyone who has shown interest so far.

iowa90
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarKnight36 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:18 pm

As per requested, my character:

Darryl von Karrte-Tera Roth

Height: 5'10"
Physical Appearance: Golden eyes, light brown hair, pale skin that has been tanned slightly. Somewhat slender.
Weapon: Double-edged katana about as long as his arm, excluding handle; wears it on his back. His shield is large and is mostly used for defending against attacks in his blind spots. He hardly ever takes it off, but if he does...
Personality: Prone to take risks, but able to get out of sticky situations through a mix of luck and skill. Most people seem to think he's invincible, but he knows better. When other people are involved, he'll always be the first in line against other foes, in order to save as many of the others as he can. Intelligent and calm in most situations, and hardly ever gets angry.
Background: Tera Roth was born near the southern fringes of human colonization on Z'tun, where war was less about fighting the manlike orc and more about staying out of the jaws and coils of the Cillicoi, the sentient snakes of the deep south. Here, life was short, and you either learned to fight at an early age or you died. Tera Roth was orphaned during one of the Cillicoi's raids, along with his two best friends, Tyre Rutherford and Gray Highwind. The three were taken in by an old soldier, who taught them all he knew of fighting. After several long grueling years of intense battles with the Cillicoi, the soldier used his influence in the army to gain the three a good standing on an easier battlefield. There, Tera Roth and his friends rose through the ranks to become high-ranking officers. Tera Roth still leads the group, and although his friends still see him often, they have taken more of a backseat role to Tera Roth's one-man onslaught against the forces of darkness on this world.

Hope that suffices.

DarKnight36
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OriginalSix on Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:19 pm

My character. All of his enchanted equipment has been replaced with equivalent unmagical variants for this tourney.

OriginalSix
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iowa90 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:33 pm

Ok, four more spots available, maybe five if I am felling lenient. Please tell me know if you are not going to be able to participate in this further due to activity level. I will not actually be requiring people to post every 72 hours. I just stated that to prevent people from trying to join and not be prepared to stay active. However, I will not hesitate to withdraw slots if people do not indicate a desire to participate. The sooner everyone gets their character sheets in, the sooner we can begin.

iowa90
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mayhem on Sat May 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Here is my CS that I submitted to you.

Name: Malakai

Race: Human

Appearance: 6'1" with short military cropped hair. His hair is a light brown with gray starting to show around his temples. He has a goatee to match. He still has a muscular build but his age makes him seem less fit. His eyes are a startlingly blue in color, which is a stark contrast to his tanned skin.

Personality: Malakai is a fair captain and a good man. He treats his men well and gives them respect and expects it in return. He likes to just be around his men, share in a drink, and have a good time. However when a situation arises he is strict and takes command of the problem with utmost efficiency. He usually has a smile on his face and a witty attitude. He is honorable to a fault.

Bio: Malakai was a career military man, serving his Emperor and moving his way up in the ranks till he was eventually a major. This has been his whole life since he his father died. His mother couldn't handle him and every time she looked at him she cried due to his resemblance to his father. So he left and joined the Emperor's army. He was a natural born fighter, having to had fight during his younger years, and so advanced quickly through the ranks. Had he continued on this path, he might have ended up as a general in the future. Since he has been in the army most of his life, all the men know him and look up to him. He is considered 'one of the boys' and his men would follow him to the end of the world. His sense of honor is to a fault and that in the end was the cause of his dismissal from the army. Ever since his dismissal he has been drinking and wants to stop but can't. He is down on his luck, looking for any work, or just anything to give him purpose again.

Skills: He has training in hand to hand combat but enough for some decent self defense and some good quick attacks. He can hold himself well just a little bit better than the mandatory training given in the military. He has leadership and tactical abilities and can read situations well. He has proficient use of most weapons but excels at and is a master swordsman. He can shoot a Bow, but not very well.

Weapons: He favors a large broad sword and always keeps at least one dagger on him just in case. Sometimes two depending on the situation. He carries a hard metal shield. He has a bow with a quiver of arrows.

Armor: He wears a hard leather vest with pants and hard leather boots. Some military training always remains regarding that and he believes he should always be protected, if but minimally. This allows for quicker movements and offers decent protection. Mostly though it is good for all weather and is durable. He also has his battle armor from the days in the military. This consists of light plate mail body armor.

Mayhem
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ForbiddenVerse on Tue May 04, 2010 4:03 pm

(The first part of this is a huge long description of the race for everyone.)

The Drylons seem to be a hybrid between a human, a dragon and a race as of yet undefined. Their skin is an almost florescent hue with blue, green, violet or black tints. Their eyes are large and cat like. Their eyes narrow into slits and a small, thin layer of skin can cover the eye when in need to protect them. Their eye colors range from exotic colors like red, purple, to the standard blues and browns. Another common attribute for both sexes is the appendage of dragon like wings and tail and lizard tongues. Again their wings range through the color spectrum but generally darker colors if they live in a forested area to lighter shades in desert regions.

The females of this race tend to have a second pair of wings extending from their lower back and sharp talons on their hands and feet. Their hair tends to be long and liquid like in its dripping across their lean bodies. The colors tend to be a little exotic in nature to attract attention to the opposite sex. The males have long horns that extend or curl much like dragon horns instead of the second pair of wings and also harbor a poison tip on their tail like a scorpion. Their hair is short and the usual browns, blacks, and yellow shades. They attract a mate by strength and the length of their horns.

Behavior/Personality:

They may have the appearance of a dragon and a human but their personalities hardly reflect the two races. They are more animalistic in nature and ā€˜barbaricā€™ but have the capacity to learn new things quickly and adapt to changes. Most humans would consider them dumb animals that could be taught to do their bidding and often try to capture the Drylons and train them or ā€˜domesticateā€™ them like you would a dog. They arenā€™t the most lovable pets on the planet and half of the time their owners end up dead. They may appear to be stupid but they are actually quite intelligent and have learned various ways of using weapons.

They have their own language but can be slowly taught how to speak human words. Their pronunciation will be off thanks to the form of their tongue and mouth. Drylons tend to snap and attack first before they question anyoneā€™s motives. They are very stubborn and vicious creatures and will fight to their last breath. They do not make friends easily but if someone does manage to make one a companion, they can be a worthy fighter and maintain their loyalty. They donā€™t change sides even if they are on the losing side. They also donā€™t like being forced into doing anything. The more you push towards something, the more they would rather go in the other direction.

Popularity:
Rare. They donā€™t produce enough young thanks to compatibility. They can mate with humanoid races but production of young can decrease with pairings.

(Now onto the actual character.)

Alvia had been a young Drylon born before the interaction between humans and her race. Some say she is part of the last generation of pure bloods. From very young, she had been taught to fear and respect the great Dakras of the world and do anything in her power to stay out of their way and continue the balance of life and she lived by that code.

Then her village was attacked by the humans and most of her race was either killed or captured. She had been taken prisoner and forced to serve her human lord. Over the next few years, she was forced to stay back on the side lines while wars were ragged on Zā€™Turn and learned how to fight by watching her human master. She ended up learning more than that and began to speak their tongue as well.

Upon becoming a young woman, Alvia gathered weapons and killed her lord master and ran into the fields to hide. In her wanderings, she began noticing that things werenā€™t right anymore. Something was wrong with the Dakras. Thatā€™s when she made it her goal to put a stop to anyone who was trying to mess up the world.
(I prefer talking about her personality and appearance in the actual role-play)

ForbiddenVerse
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!