Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

America Is or Is it Becoming a Police State?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

America Is or Is it Becoming a Police State?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:10 am

Many thinkers and intellectuals have come out stating something similar to this. A lot of them have been dismissed for obvious reasons, as people are still elected and Presidents can be impeached. But when you see how much of the criteria the United States fills it begins to make sense.

I understand this is controversial, but it's something I'm interested to hear other opinions from.

A police state unquestionably exists when:

1. Criminal Federal powers:

[*]Illegally arrest, imprison, and torture American citizens

[*]Assassinate American citizens abroad merely suspected of terrorism

[*]Spy on US citizens with drones

[*]Constitute inverted totalitarianism

[*]Spy on and intimidate citizens

[*]Loot taxpayer money for fat-cats

[*]Make domestic spying on US citizens legal

[*]Occupy an American town

http://www.hermes-press.com/police_state.htm
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: America Is or Is it Becoming a Police State?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby madscirat on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:28 pm

I think its funny that no one responded to this one until now. In my imagination I see people looking at the thread, shrugging their shoulders and thinking, 'duh, what else is new.' Its almost as if we have been so conditioned to the authoritarian and the evil, that they have ceased to surprise us. Americans will go bat-shit crazy if a congressmen sends a photo of his penis to someone, but the fact that the constitution is now ignored on a regular basis doesn't bother anyone. Perhaps the solution to this would be to monitor the government using a crack team of seductresses. A Fox Force Five, if you will. When we found an official violating the constitution, we could send in one of the Foxes and then record him being 'naughty'. We could then use the tape, far more damaging than evidence of any real crime, to get them fired.
What we observe as material bodies and forces are nothing but shapes and variations in the structure of space.
-Erwin Schrodinger

The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible.
-Albert Einstein

Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.
- Nikola Tesla

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

madscirat
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:34 pm

That's an incredibly biased source that you're using there, one that definitely twists the facts and only presents a shaded side of an argument for the sake of sensationalism.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:57 pm

America is nowhere neat the point of becoming a Police State. Just as well, a police state (in the minds of the citizens) goes against what America has stood for for centuries. They wouldn't accept it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if riots and protests break out if America crept any closer to those conditions for a Police State.

Arke
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AzricanRepublic on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:11 pm

That's an incredibly biased source that you're using there, one that definitely twists the facts and only presents a shaded side of an argument for the sake of sensationalism.

After reading that site, I think I agree with at statement as well. "Spying" on people does not make your government a police state, not spying on people makes your government incompetent and unfit. I haven't seen any of the people that say "America shall pay" or "America shall burn" and wave signs out from of my town's business center "disappear". If you consider what the American government does to guarantee it's own safety to be nature of a "Police State", than many other nations are also Police States of a much more violent nature. I think this entire thread isn't seeing the forest for the trees, personally. Those "criteria" America lapses in several parts, the government hardly illegally arrests people, neither are there "criminal" federal powers, another false is that the US government will execute people; this isn't the Cold War, governments don't go around snipping loose ends anymore; and "inverted totalitarianism" ... you do realize that, for a government to function, it needs to enforce its weight as a government. I think that, if anyone wants to prove this, there will need to be much better evidence. None of which I would honestly believe.

"It's only wrong if America does it" is what it is starting to look like, and the world is quickly becoming set with these double standards.

AzricanRepublic
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal Group Theory Person of Interest Salesman

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:21 am

When I think police state, I think more along the lines of the Soviet system. Police would redirect a trainload of passengers onto a different train, and send them off to the Archipelago. There, each passenger would work for 10 years, and all so the police department could fulfill quota. And those ten years would be even longer if you actually had commited some minor offense.

They'd bust your door down at night because they had a science of arresting people, and the science said it was easier to get rid of someone in the dead of night. They'd arrest you for going to the police station to report the crying 4-year old that's been starving and unattended because her parents were arrested 3 days ago.

I actually couldn't read more than 50 or 60 pages of The Gulag Archipelago (ebook) because of how sickening a true police state is (the only other author besides Solzhenitsyn that could churn my stomach too much to read was the Marquis de Sade). On average, American policies sound rude and annoying, but not disgusting. Abuse is the exception, and you're able to criticize abuses of power by the executive branch without automatically getting into trouble. Calling America a police state is an exaggeration that unfortunately makes us forget just how bad a state can become.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!