Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Any Mapmakers out there?

a topic in The Artist's Cafe, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

Have some artwork to share? Share it here — and feel free to ask for commissions!

Any Mapmakers out there?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Moonscar on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:30 pm

Well, you see, I have this roleplay that I've been trying to fix for years now, and it's quite a large bit of world. The map is fine and all...no, wait, it's not fine. That's why I was asking for a mapmaker! Hopefully I can find someone who uses photoshop or the like, and who's good enough at it! I don't have any experience with digital art, and this is what a friend had done for me long ago:
(You'll have to click it to get the full picture)

Though, you see, as finished as it might or might not look, I do need plenty of work done on it. The continents are not nearly finished, and things need to be moved around.
Oh, I would dearly like some (free) assistance.
"'I'm bored' is a useless thing to say. You live in a great, big, vast world that you've seen none percent of. And even the inside of your own mind is endless. It goes on forever inwardly. Do you understand? Being the fact that you're alive is amazing, so you don't get to be bored."

-Louis CK

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Moonscar
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Cult Leader Tipworthy Person of Interest

Re: Any Mapmakers out there?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kunoichi26 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:39 am

I love drawing maps! If you still need this I can draw one for you. If you need an example of my work here is a link. Just give me details on what it is you want and I'll get to sketching. Send me a pm or something. :)
"Art is the language of human emotion...with it, one can transcend the boundaries of mere words and speak with feeling and understand the subtleties of intention. Without art, there is no understanding...we are left cold and empty, riddled with doubt." - Patsy Books

Visit my gallery!

Here is a helpful tutorial.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kunoichi26
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:31 am

There are quite a few decent map maker tools on the internet if you check around also. ^^

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fluesopp on Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:44 pm

I might be able to help you out, if you mean something like this: http://fluesopp.org/images/div/Prydden%202.jpg
or this: http://fluesopp.org/images/div/World%20Map%202.jpg (wip)

Just give me a week or more, and bug me often if it looks good.

Fluesopp
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kunoichi26 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:25 am

Ooh, lovely map! :D

Kunoichi26
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Moonscar on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:26 am

Ohh, my, both of you do lovely maps! I'd been meaning to reply much sooner than this, and now it seems I have a hard choice to make!

Moonscar
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Cult Leader Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lightxkira on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi, Kunoichi how and what program do you use to make maps?, i'm interested in making them.

Lightxkira
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kunoichi26 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:58 am

I use Photoshop elements, but really you can use virtually anything that works with layers. I always start with a sketch, just random, scribbly lines for the coasts and stuff. I will often look at maps of the world as a guide for where trees, mountains, or rivers should go. Once the sketch is finished I scan it onto the computer, make the lines darker and clearer, then just slap color on it. As long as you have a program that uses layers then it is really simple and easy to do. Just make sure your "map" is the top layer, set it on multiply, and color on the layer under it. The dots and names for the cities have a few effects on them, such as "outer glow" and "inner bevel", which you can find under the "layer styles" menu. That can be found on the right hand side of the screen if you're using a program like Photoshop. I just experiment with those layer styles until I get something that looks right. I hope this helps, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Kunoichi26
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BrandonP on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:45 pm

Here's a map I drew last night. I will admit it's not that pretty or sophisticated, as it was created with just colored pencils.

BrandonP
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!