Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Breaking the WAAAAAGH!

Breaking the WAAAAAGH!

a part of “Breaking the WAAAAAGH!”, a fictional universe by Irish Wolf.

When the Orks threaten overrun an Imperial world, two very different regiments of the Imperial Guard have to find a way to work together, in order to save Imperial goals.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Breaking the WAAAAAGH!”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: [OOC] Breaking the WAAAAAGH!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Loonybin. on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:19 pm

Heh, Likely posting in a little if I find time, Work in about forty minutes however. Also, I agree as far as 40k > Fantasy.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

The Loonybin.
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WAAAGH! on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Just a disclaimer: Quart Yard, was not me. It auto-corrected... terribly.

I prefer Fantasy myself. The 40k universe is good, I just find the Space Marines to be overblown and, honestly, just annoying.
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

WAAAGH!
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Space Marines....are boring. Real men wear cardboard armor and fight with flashlights, not power armor like a bunch of sissies.
Its easy to be brave behind a castle wall
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion
A king's son is no nobler then the food he eats

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WAAAGH! on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:39 pm

I salute those true men. Who die every minute, so that the Orks have something to do. -wipes tear away- Emperor bless them.

WAAAGH!
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SK-Man on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:43 pm

Irish Wolf wrote:Space Marines....are boring. Real men wear cardboard armor and fight with flashlights, not power armor like a bunch of sissies.

Thank you! Someone who agrees with my view...Well that and the fact that Space Marines have two hearts, two brains, three livers and a twelve pack are just more reason as for why I despise space marines so badly in the 40K universe...

SK-Man
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Loonybin. on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Ha! Space marines are so glorified it makes me a bit sick. I was never one for "Perfect warriors" myself. I would rather watch and group of average Joe imperial guard fight against overwhelming odds, again and again, than see a space marine butcher twently orks with his bare hands, Or something equally cheesy.

And on that note, I'm heading out for work. Have a good evening.

The Loonybin.
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WAAAGH! on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:58 pm

And that Loonybin, is why I love Caiphas Cain books... and hate anything involving Commissar Gaunt.

WAAAGH!
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SK-Man on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:00 pm

^ I know...Perfect warrior this, spartans that! My God...I think it was Mat Ward who only managed to cause more nerd rage over the space marines than there already was! The Grey Knights last all their legitness the moment he looked their way...I haven't read their codex but I've heard he wrote a story where 2 Grey Knights became corrupted by Chaos while a Sister of Battle remained pure. That's pushing the limits, even for Sci-Fi!

My favorite Imperial Guard regiment would probably be either Death Korps of Krieg (Seriously, German WWI soldiers in space, and they're the only IG Regiment with permission for cloning!), Penal Legion 13 (Who doesn't want an army of expendable, psychotic murderers?) or the Chem Dogs (Again...Criminal Conscript!)

SK-Man
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:09 pm

Whats wrong with Gaunt? He's asskicking and awesome.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WAAAGH! on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:19 pm

Why do I dislike Gaunt? Exactly why you said so, and I dislike Dan Abnett writing style.

Imperial Guard, when written by Dan Abnett, We can kill anything!

No. Just no. Its why I much prefer Commissar Cain. He doesn’t stomp everything he fights, hell, he has lost many battles. Most of the time he wasn't the one who beat them, he just gets the credit. Commissar Gaunt feels like Dan Abnett tried to make a Space Marine like Commissar, and it is just ridiculous. When I read an IG story, I want them to come so close to losing that you start wondering if this really is the end, which of my favorite side characters is going to die?

In a Guant's Ghost Story... its just... honestly, I find them dumb, predictable, and if I wanted that I would reread the Ultramarine series.

WAAAGH!
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SK-Man on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:29 pm

I intentionally avoid Dan Abnett because everybody says he's SOOO good, and I don't want to rule every other book because I've read a few of his. So far I've only read the Malus Darkblade Chronicles, though I felt it got dragged along too much at times (some corners could easily have been skipped for I could have cared).

Actually WAAAGH, you made me think of "Ice Guard" by Steve Lyons.

SK-Man
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:34 pm

Alright, I'll admit, the Tanith First-and-Only doesn't lose as often as it might but there have been plenty of times they have nearly been wiped out and Guant doesn't always save them. Hell Guant's been almost dead a few times, hasn't always lead them to victory and tones of favorite characters are dead in that series. I have at least nine on my list of dead and favorite.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WAAAGH! on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:45 pm

No. Every time they came 'near' death. It was clear they would live on. It’s just like the Ultramarine stories, even when they should be dead. Plot wise it only makes sense for them to die there in a glorious last stand, yet they somehow survive.

Once in a while, it’s cool, suspenseful, and dramatic, but every time? No, it just gets redundant. This is why I love Caiphas Cain books. Every time you open one, you never quite know what you are walking into.

The book tries too hard to scream “Hey! I am a badass!”. Again, I refer to Ultramarine, or any Space Marine stories, Save for the first two Space Wolf Stories, I thoroughly enjoyed those.
Last edited by WAAAGH! on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WAAAGH!
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SK-Man on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Don't feel pressured to agree Irish Wolf, we're all just stating our opinions regarding the books.

SK-Man
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WAAAGH! on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Yep. I am just stating my own personal views on the books. I know many more people like the Gaunt Ghost series then hate, but those are my reasons for disliking them. I am not one of those people who just hate to hate, I have my own valid reasons for disliking them.

Oh… and don’t shoot Tira in the story >.> She gets nicer, and Clayton will win sometimes and embarrass her, I guarantee it, but just remember when you fight with a woman, you lose. Even if you win. You lose.

WAAAGH!
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SK-Man on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:20 pm

WAAAGH! wrote:just remember when you fight with a woman, you lose. Even if you win. You lose.

The very reason I give up when debating with women before it starts -.-

SK-Man
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:37 pm

SK-Man wrote:
WAAAGH! wrote:just remember when you fight with a woman, you lose. Even if you win. You lose.

The very reason I give up when debating with women before it starts -.-

Only if your trying to maintain a friendship or sleep with her. lol

Henry's not going to shoot Tira.

Don't worry, I'm not pressured to agree at all but I will disagree on one point. The Cain books (besides being written in first person, which I can barely stand), you know what will happen. Their suppose to be biography (which makes the first person makes sense) the dude wrote before dying of natural causes, after retiring from the Guard, so you know that any story in the series, Commissar Cain will walk away from it. The Main character, will in fact, live on and only the secondary characters are at risk (save for Sulla and Amberley Vail). You don't know that with the Guant's Ghost books, Guant could in fact die.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WAAAGH! on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:45 pm

It’s the only first person books I have ever enjoyed. Your right, you know Cain will live, but you do not know what direction the story will go in, what is going to happen, and who dies in the book. Sandy Mitchell, the author (also a weird name for a guy), does not write stereotypical Black Library books. They main character is not some insanely brave (or stupid) character that can fight anything. He’s the opposite.

The main story isn’t even about war, more so, about a man trying to weasel his way out of assured death situations. When I look at a Gaunt story, I can tell where the direction is going and can hazard a pretty good guess at what is going to happen. Of course there will be points I do not foresee (I’m not all knowing.), but for the most part, I find it relatively easy.

I love Caiphas Cain novels because of his personality, the plots, and just his views on the galaxy. I find it refreshing. He is what saved my interest in 40k… that and Ghazghkull.

WAAAGH!
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Mahaahahha, catch Henry if you can.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SK-Man on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:00 pm

At that rate, I think we're more likely to catch the gingerbread man!

SK-Man
Member for 12 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!