Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Chatroom attitude

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Chatroom attitude

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:52 am

Right, do to the constant bickering and complaining these past couple of days this may be needed.

Newbies and oldies have complained that it is nearly impossible to get a decent roleplay going on, get noticed by the current role players, not be god modded to death, walk in on a cyber scene told of for attempting to role play in their fashion (whether it be decent or not). This may discourage newbies who attempt to rp in the offtopic board while others merely sulk and curse the other rooms. How can this be fixed?
Bai Bai bby

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Mid
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Re: Chatroom attitude

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:55 am

1. For the decent roleplayers, make a separate section for them. This will make advanced and beginning roleplayers know where it is they may belong at their level.

2. PM the current roleplayers. If that does not work, get a mod to intervene.

3. Impose stricter rules regarding godmodding.

4. Same for cybering.

Those are my ideas.
"]Image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jakelovesyuna on Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:59 am

Nope simple get rid of the stupid IC restriction in the chat and allow more OOC places so people can easily adapt around these things.
I asked my friend what he thought of my drawing, at this is what he said:Jake your drawings make Rukia's look like masterpieces

jakelovesyuna
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:05 am

Whoops

Mid
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:06 am

Wouldn't you consider god modding a form of role play? Should it be encouraged? Or discouraged?

Wasn't the IC placed to keep it seperate from the OOC? What benifit would there be if they were bought back together?

I'm asking these questions because I want you to be clearer with your thoughts.

Mid
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jakelovesyuna on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:11 am

well first off the IC restriction is stupid anyway. You have pushed all the OOC into ONE room, which causes fights. So this is what i mean. With all the rooms open people can easily move to other rooms to suit their needs. Like if a bunch of OOC is fed up in the OOC room, they can move to another room and have their convo. plus it will allow groups of roleplayers to move around and shuffle better. The IC restriction was a bad idea from square one. you could at least put more OOC rooms. i think this is the cause of one of the problems.

Plus maybe we need un-corrupt mods. That are actually fair and actually help.

jakelovesyuna
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aythr on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:17 am

I like the idea about seperating chat rooms into different levels of ability, but it seems like there would have to be some level of discrimination associated with that.

I personally think that if everybody took a little more time to think about their responses and take the time to actually make their posts legible and decent, it would make a world of difference.

Aythr
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThexTwistedxOne on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:23 am

I cant stand it >_> they dont even accept you I could go in there and try to obliterate the bar to get their attention and they'd probably just carry on
~Its just another beautiful day... in a Twisted Paradise

I have been astonished that Men could die Martyrs for religion
I have shudder'd at it - I shudder no more
I could be martyr'd for my Religion
Love is my religion
I could die for that
I could die for you.
My Creed is Love and you are its only tenet.

ThexTwistedxOne
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ponats on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:36 am

I like the IC only rooms. It stops the fights in the IC areas and yes, it generally pushes it to the OOC channel (or whispers). So if the Bar was an OOC place again, then the fights would go there... that's not very good logic. ;)

And of course they ignore people 'obliterating' the bar. I would too, it is an auto hit. xD

Imo, there is no benefit of putting the OOC and IC back together. Really, none. People in the Bar OOC or whisper, then delete the OOC after a little. It is a room for roleplaying, not off topic shenanigans.

If you separated the rooms into levels of skill, again there would still be a Bar. A room full of the 'unskilled'. And to be honest, it would still be the most popular one.

Even if you set a 'skill level' required, you may just kick out the 'bad RPers'. Then what? It would deter people from going into chat. (As the mods would have to enforce said rules, causing people to get angry or leave.) Then all you have left is the same people who complained the Bar was bad. Who will then go complain about something else, not actually go RP.

If people want well quality RPs in chat, they should find who they like to RP with. Get together, join another channel, and RP. You know, instead of whining about the Bar. XD
Meh.

Ponats
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tetrino on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:44 am

All we need are more IC rooms and more OOC rooms. Make tons of them, like last time when there was a room for every single board and sub-board on the forums. :D
<Donny> Wow, who's this new Azrican fag?
<Alucroas> He's the man who typo'd African

Tetrino
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kædai on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:34 am

I was actually thinking someting similar. Like, make an IC AND OOC for each genre. (i.e. Fantasy, Futuristic, Fiction-Based, etc.) That way, players could kind of congregate towards what genre suits them best. And like actually name the room what they are. Like the Fantasy IC room would be called Fantasy IC. Or maybe give it a name, but then put the "Fantasy IC" Tag on the end so like it would be, "Some Cheesey Name (Fantasy IC)". Also, players, while in the various rooms, could meet other RPers who have similar tastes, and so we get more interaction going on. Get what I'm saying?

Just an idea.

Kædai
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:35 am

Separating the IC and OOC was definitely a good idea. It's definitely stopped a lot of the fights and roleplays run more or less smoothly in the rooms now. The problem is the god modes. I've had a lot of complaints about this or a few arguments started because of it. Because it's not against the rules, I nor other mods can kick, but I say that the users do have options. One thing to do if your god moded is to whisper the user and try to sort it out. Don't just yell in the room god mode and then start an argument over it. If they don't listen and continue to god mode, just simply ignore them.

For people wanting to do literate chat roleplays or ones that are planned and don't want them interrupted by other users there are private rooms that you can be invited to as a group. As for people walking in on cyber sessions, if we're not around to see it, then users could log what is been said and alert us. The problem is complaining afterwards to us, when there is no sign of it or the users aren't doing it there and then, we can't do much unless we're alerted.

What I think would be better is something where people could be in more room than one. Say the OOC and one of the IC rooms and I think maybe having three OOC rooms. The discussion and debate, the offtopic, and then a new one specifically to talk about roleplays.

That's just my thoughts.

Crim.

CriminalMinds
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:31 am

We could go back to using IRC.

It didn't have all these problems.

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:33 am

IRC can easily become targeted by trolls and can't be customized to fit the forum. And as Ponats says, either way someone will complain.

The reason why the GB room is questioned is because it's the first room you walk into. As members, we're suppose to encourage each other and be helpful to each other. Yet you get ignored or told off for playing your character of choice. It really isn't fair and unfriendly like. Whether it be a Neko or a dwarf.

I do think that God Modding should be banned from the chat. Not because it's "frowned upon" but because it disrupts the flow of the game. The whole point of rp'ing with other people is to have fun, not argue or complain.

Mid
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:01 am

One issue in this whole fiasco is the assumption that people who role-play in Gambit's Bar is that are the center of attention and they can ignore other things that happen in that bar. That often propels those ignored to act in destructive ways to try and gain attention from those who, and I have to be honest here, are not really adept role-players that are ignoring them.

God modding is a bane and has always been so, I cannot see it being cleared up anytime soon because in order for it to stop, all parties involved have to subscribe to the idea that when they are in such an open role-play area, they are all responsible for the stories in there. That every action has a counter action that can affect everyone in the small space called Gambit's Bar.

I agree with Crim, those who have companions who want to do serious and quality role-play should enter a private room to do so, trying to have a serious role-play otherwise is interrupted by needless OOC, dozens of shifting characters and people all vying for the center stage, trying to gather all the neko-sparkle and lycan/angel/demon love for them selves and "the rest of you can go to hell!"

Sadly that is all that Gambit's Bar has devolved into.
The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse.
John Gardner

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Script on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:29 am

I used to roleplay in the bar a lot more than I do now, and I'm not sure what it is (though perhaps it's because my rping has developed so I notice things such as godmodding and generally below par RP more than I used to) but I certainly no longer do so anywhere near as often. Being noticed is definitely a main pointer, as I know that a lot of people get involved in conversations between two or three characters and decide to ignore everything else.

I think that in cases such as that, it should be a policy for either a mod if there is one, or anyone if there isn't, to be able to request that they move to a separate room or interact with the entire room. Unfortunately, the main problem is actually getting anything decided heeded - even if in this thread we decide 'yes! This is what people should do!', it is only a small percentage of the people who RP in the bar who will read this, and an even lower percentage that will pay attention.

The idea of separating the levels of RP off is a good one at a glance, but you will always have those who think they are better than they are, and equally good roleplayers might get just as involved in a one on one conversation than those who are less skilled.

I think that the idea of having a Fantasy section, futuristic section and etc. is a good one, because otherwise you get a lot of interactions where an man with a magic sword tries to roleplay with a man with a laser (or a giant robot who can destroy [insert impressive things here] with ease *cough* gundam nuts *cough*), and the background limit interactivity a lot - what does someone from 1500 do when people start talking about the economic downturn or the latest expedition to Jupiter?

So yeah, I say keep the bar for people who don't care too much about the quality of roleplay, but then make something like The Tavern, The Cafe and The Space Bar to separate off the different genres of roleplay. For OOC I reckon one room for chatting, one room for discussing the forum and one room for discussing chat roleplay - and get rid of the discussion and debate room (either that or actually make people go there when they have an argument)
Image Image

(03:04:15) Lialore says: I wanted to be the poo.

Script
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Cult Leader Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jakelovesyuna on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:05 pm

Wait there is a simple solution to this. Just remove the chat all together. Have one OOC room and that is it. Just like other forums. It would stop everything and it might just make the website run faster.

jakelovesyuna
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pseudosyne on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:19 pm

There's no doubt that the chat needs an overhaul and we're in the process of designing a new system. There are a lot of problems, some which can be fixed, some which can't.

Gambit's Bar gets frequently overcrowded, which is due to a combination of reasons. People don't like to do things where other people can't see them (the "tree falls in the forest" concept) and they like being the center of attention. Also, there's the catch-22: they don't want to leave and go to other rooms since the rooms are empty, but the only way to get people into those rooms are for some users to take the initiative to go there. Most of these issues are based on user psychology, however, so it's unlikely we'll be able to fix them in any significant way.

The idea for OOC rooms specifically designated for certain roleplay themes is a good one, and I'm all for it, but roleplay in chat as it stands right now is supposed to reflect the Multiverse, i.e all characters living together in one shared universe. While this is nice in theory, keeping the Multiverse concept to the forums and out of chat could be something to seriously consider.

There's a whole bunch of other things that are pointless to go into now, but one thing is clear: there needs to be some big changes in chat, and there will be.

Pseudosyne
Scholar
Member for 16 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:33 pm

I noticed that too. No one uses the other rooms like they use too before the changes were made. When the OOC aka Gambit's bar was first, people would actually use the other rooms to role play. The only rooms that do get used are the gambit's bar, the forest and offtopic. Maybe the offtopic should become the main room which would give others the chance to use other rooms? It would lessen the over crowding.

Mid
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:42 pm

jakelovesyuna wrote:Wait there is a simple solution to this. Just remove the chat all together. Have one OOC room and that is it. Just like other forums. It would stop everything and it might just make the website run faster.

Unfortunately, Jake, we would then be limiting roleplays with that idea. A lot of users here prefer chat based roleplays over forum based. So by taking the chat away altogether for roleplaying we are then limiting to how users can roleplay. The way to look at it would be what happened if someone suddenly suggested that the forums should be taken away, and only chat roleplay should be done? There would also be a lot of protest. Our motto is to roleplay your way, and by taking away chat roleplays, people couldn't roleplay their way.

All we can do with users that we consider 'bad'. That use autohitting, god modes, etc, is to try and teach them. When I first started out I'm pretty sure that I did all those things as well as one lines and bad grammar. I wanted to improve though and it's about helping those that want to improve to. We also have to accept users that don't want to improve either. We can't force them, because it's their way of roleplaying and that's what this site is about. Roleplaying your way.

Also, even with just having an OOC room, people would then start roleplaying in there, it would then get over crowded and we'd end up having more complaints over all in which the rooms would then be brought back.

Myrin wrote:

I noticed that too. No one uses the other rooms like they use too before the changes were made. When the OOC aka Gambit's bar was first, people would actually use the other rooms to role play. The only rooms that do get used are the gambit's bar, the forest and offtopic. Maybe the offtopic should become the main room which would give others the chance to use other rooms? It would lessen the over crowding.

I think part of that might be due to new users that haven't entered the chat just jumping straight in there and not knowing about the other rooms until later. Also, I think when a room gets over crowded, we should possibly suggest that users that are in conversation with one or to others and not interacting with the rest of the bar move. Again, we can't force them, but by suggesting it, it might happen. Use reasons like they'd be able to read each others responses better and not have to scroll up etc.

CriminalMinds
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!