Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat ā€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

City of Gold (IC)

a topic in Uncategorized Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

Other roleplay stuff, either inactive or otherwise. Roleplays that don't fit within any of the other categories.

Re: City of Gold (IC)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Incognito on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Santiago waited for Salina before heading out into the street behind Marcello. They stood there in a group, gazing at the docks in front of them and the many ships there. It finally hit Cornelio that none of them had any clue where the Captain's ship WAS, or even what it looked like...

"Well this sucks... How the hell are we gunna find it!?"

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Incognito
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby demented-tiger on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:09 pm

After everyone went to bed, James ambled off down the harbor to where his ship was tied up. It was a small ship with only two masts and four cannons arranged with two guns on the port side and two on the starboard side. James climbed up the gangplank onto the deck, and retreated to his cabin at the stern of the ship. There, he poured himself a glass of rum from the shipā€™s stores and counted the money in his sea chest to make sure his crew hadnā€™t pinched some while he was away. When he was satisfied it was all there, he took out Fray Marcosā€™ journal, and tried to make some sense of the words in it. He needed to find the first two keys ā€“ the ones given to France and Portugal. He must have fallen asleep sometime during the night, for the morning sunlight streaming through the windows of his cabin roused him. Damn, almost time to sail. Breakfast can wait until weā€™re out of the harbor.
James got up, and picked up his hat, which must have fallen off during his sleep. And went back out on deck. Outside, the sun was rising over the shimmering waters of the Caribbean Sea. The his men were just getting up themselves, climbing onto deck after their own breakfast.
ā€œYou!ā€ James barked, catching sight of his boatswain. ā€œDid you get me a list of the supplies we got?ā€
ā€œYes sir, captain,ā€ the boatswain said. ā€œI dictated it to Ratface yesterday afternoon. ā€˜Course good luck reading it. Ratfaceā€™s handwriting looks like pig tracks, and thatā€™s coming from someone who canā€™t read worth aā€¦ā€ The boatswain patted the pockets of his sea coat. ā€œOh fuck! I meant to give it to you last night but seeing as you were off recruiting ā€“ ah crap, I think itā€™s still in my hammock. Hold on while Iā€¦ā€ He started retreating into the crew quarters.
ā€œNo, itā€™s okay, Mr. Alex,ā€ James said, following him down. ā€œI did want to talk to you about something important. I am appointing an assistant cartographer. Sheā€™s a lady.ā€
ā€œA woman, sir!ā€ gasped the boatswain. ā€œYou know what they say ā€“ itā€™s bad luck to have a woman on board!ā€
ā€œFor the poor woman, yes,ā€ James said. ā€œBut not the way youā€™re talking. Mr. Alex, I expect you will keep the men in line. I promised the lady I would treat her with the same respect I treat my own sister. I expect the men to do the same. She will be accompanied by a large Spaniard.ā€
ā€œA Spaniard, sir?ā€
ā€œA former soldier. Probably couldnā€™t make it in Peru or Mexico, so he turned to sailing. I saw him take out a manā€™s kneecaps with a pistol, while he was drunk. He carries a big battle-ax too, like they do back in Europe. A bit out of style, but still deadly. He fancies himself Don Quixote ā€“ a Spanish Lancelot ā€“ er Gawain ā€“ Lancelot started messing with Gwenivere, you know, so he wasnā€™t the most chivalrous of gentleman.ā€
ā€œHereā€™s the manifest, captain, sir,ā€ the boatswain said, pulling out some folded sheets of paper from under his pillow. ā€œFor a moment there, I thought someone may have used it as tissue.ā€
ā€œAnyway spread the word,ā€ James ordered. ā€œTell them that if they so much as brush against this woman in a way she does not like, I will have them turned into eunuchs.ā€
ā€œI think theyā€™d rather prefer to be beheaded by the Spaniard.ā€
ā€œEither way, I want something to make them think twice before harassing the woman.ā€
ā€œYes sir.ā€
James took the manifest and returned to the main deck. He then climbed up the stairs to the poop deck and began decoding the untidy scrawl that was supposed to represent writing. In the meantime, he compared it to his own list, which heā€™d stuffed in his jacket the day before.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

demented-tiger
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chuckles on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:15 pm

Marcello spotted the captain on the poop deck of small ship, though double masted, the vessel couldn't have been more than forty feet long. Small, swift, and nimble no doubt, the perfect pirate ship.

"There he is, steady at work." Marcello pointed James out to the others.

"Captain!" Marcello shouted as he made his way up the gang plank, "Permission to come aboard?"

Marcello didn't really wait, more like hesitated. As he hesitated he took a look around at what he was getting into, small, swift, agile, and sorely under gunned! Marcello saw four cannons in total. He ran twice that many a side on his smallest trader. He made a mental note of it, he knew a ship this size could easily take on four guns a side without the slightest change in performance. He would have to address it from the side though, after all Taylor was the one with the reputation, and Marcello was new blood on the crew, not a good place from which to be making proclamations about the way the man runs his ship.

Some sour looking fellow gave him a stare, Marcello cracked a half sided grin, "New blood babbeo," then rolling his head back toward Salina added, "I brought bad luck with me." the look turned from sour to surprise. The man was obviously of the persuasion that having a woman on bored was bad luck, as he looked toward the captain, did a hail marry, and disappeared below deck.

Chuckles
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Novelist Storyteller World Builder Group Theory Lifegiver Person of Interest Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:15 pm

"If I were one of de most notorious of all de pirates, what would I sail? What gilded destroyer would I captain as I ravaged de world and stunned everyone wit my array of a tousand cannonballs and a tousand kings' ransoms? De smallest boat here." Lali mused to himself, having been through with his usual bout of poetry for the night. It was morning now. The sun meant sweat and toil, all men were slaves under the son, all men with even the faintest doubt in their minds of the future and of life, only the most epicurean bastards got to live a life a freeman, and with piracy, that was the primary goal.

Lali's eye for detail wasn't lost on the ship. He found some ships that were little more than tenders, some that were grand and royal and clean, but he knew James' when he saw it, perhaps it was because the night before, when he had seen that distant sun shine a light he had never seen before, the light of a new world, he had seen himself on that very ship.

It was a sensible ship, a smart ship. It was not heavily armed, but it was firmly manned, and it had two sails with pathetic excuses for rope holding them. Lali would fix that the moment he could. The ship was built for speed, obviously, two sails when it could have sailed with one, and a bow kept clean from most barnacle, but not so much as to seem out of place. It was a brilliant act of piracy if ever there was one. No Jolly Roger swung proudly, there was no hubris in it, pride, but not hubris.

Lali's eye fell on that golden idol of a woman and two men. Lali approached the base of the plank onto the boat, and turned to stare, silently at those crewmates he had at least seen. He lifted a hand but made no sound, before knocking his boot against the plank.

"Is dis de vessel of my new boss?" He said, not so foolish as to barge onto a pirate ship unannounced and uninvited. "A Taylor I tink would take me on." Lali scooped the loops of rope and the bag of rope onto his shoulder, apparently he was capable of surviving without food, but rope was as vital as air to him. Good strong rope for a good strong ship.

Ah piracy in broad daylight, what was better?

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aslin on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:49 pm

The three of them moved through the cobbled alleys to enter the main streets that led to the docks. It was still early and only the owners of some shops had risen to meet the day. There were still several drunkards lying about in corners and others tripping over their own two feet as they found their way back to their rooms or ships. It was a common sight here as was the sight of the busy docks. They weaved through several people lifting crates containing materials and products that merchants dealt to their countries. Others were shouting orders to workers to tighten the sails and prepare for the ships' leaving. Salina was thrilled to be back amongst these people knowing that she had a ship to actually board this time. They passed several ships, not sure if which belonged to James.

But Marcello came to a halt suddenly and pointed out the Captain to them. So this was to be their ship. It was smaller compared to the past ships she had been on but it was obvious this particular ship was built for speed and stealth. Close range defense might be easy for the crew but if they were to meet a larger ship on sea, if there was a great distance between them, defense would be difficult for they lacked the number of weapons. However, a ship's weapons were not her forte. So instead of lingering over the ship's defenses, Salina instead took quick note of the ship's size and structure. It would help later on if they were to determine if a ship could pass through narrow spaces or navigate through treacherous waters. Taking a mental picture of some of the angles of the ship, Salina watched as Marcello boarded the ship. Gently, she pulled out the bronze locket from under her shirt and brought it to her lips. As was her habit before she boarded a new ship, Salina gripped the locket tightly in her hand, closed her eyes and took in a deep breath of the sea's salty smell. The strong winds blowing in towards land brought the tangy smell of salt water and Salina took a deep breath of it. Opening her eyes, she tucked the locket back under the neckline of her shirt and slammed her hat down on her head. "Shall we?" she asked Santiago before walking the plank.

Following behind Marcello, Salina smirked at the Italian's comment on him referring to her as bad luck. The man he had been addressing, looked at her in surprise before scurrying off. She was aware that others aboard the ship were giving her looks of distrust and other looks she preferred not to observe. But she was used to it so she simply held onto her bagpack and awaited for the Captain to deliver his orders to them. It was then that Lali approached the ship and Salina observed that he carried a bundle of rope across his shoulders. It was interesting to note what Lali would be contributing to the ship.

Aslin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Incognito on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:23 am

"What the hell is that?!"

Santiago looked in disbelief at the ill-armed fishing boat in front of them. He's seen bigger boats in the hands the local aborigines! His dreams were crushed in one instant. One terrible instant. The image of his beard flapping in gale force winds while aboard an 80 gun ship of pure might shattered and fell away. How on earth was he supposed to impress people with this!?

"Shall we?"

Salina didn't seem all too bothered by the lack of firepower... footage... and everything else. It's all about the motion and the ocean, Santiago told himself. Perhaps he and this small-ish boat had more in common then he had originally judged. He cleared his throat and stepped onto the plank, boarding the vessel.
Taking a deep breath he could smell the salt soaked planks of the ship and gun powder stains that decorated them. Despite it's size, it felt like a military ship. It smelt like a military ship. There was one thing missing though... But what was it? He could sense it like a bad itch in the back of his mind. This was going to irritate him until he could remember just what was nagging him.

"BIG BERTHA!"

Santiago suddenly exclaimed. He was referring to a mortar his previous crew had mounted on a rotating platform in the center of their ship. It was a joke at first, but time had proven it to be endlessly useful. The only problem was the first time it had been used, they blew part of their mast off... They had nick-named the beast 'Big Bertha' after a hooker they had met on shore.

"This ship needs a mortar. One of the big ones that can fire a two hundred sixty kg cannon ball. That'd make me feel a whole lot better."

Incognito
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Lali strolled onto the ship, carefully examining every plank and every barrel.

"I don't tink dis ship is predisposed to large weaponry, monsieur." Lali said to the mortar comment, he was headed towards his fellow crew mates, but his eyes were fixed on that devil right behind them, a piece of rope which wouldn't last a week, hideously unacceptable, inconceivable!

Lali moved swiftly past the group to the rope, strung taut and seemingly strong. Oh god he had work to do. Mediocrity, adequacy, and even excellency would not be enough for Lali. To accept that would lead to failure, plain and simple. He was still wondering if they could even take guns where they were going, that place where the sun none of these Europeans had ever known shown, where the angle and total surrealism of the thing would have them never leave, bask in that light forever, that golden, golden light.

Rope, rope, rope...

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby demented-tiger on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:40 pm

James looked up when he heard someone hail him from the dock. He looked up to see the man, Marcello, making his way up the gang plank onto the ship. He was followed by the woman, the Spaniard, and the African.
ā€œAh! Good day to you,ā€ he called down to them. ā€œWeā€™re just waiting for sailing time, and then weā€™ll be under way.ā€ He started to climb down the main deck. He noticed the African fiddling with one of the ropes. Guyā€™s already stepping to, James thought. Weā€™re not even ready to sail yet.
ā€œMr. Alex,ā€ James shouted to his boatswain. ā€œShow these gentlemen to their quarters.ā€ He turned to Salina. ā€œIf you would like, maā€™am, you may familiarize yourself with my chart room. Perhaps later we can work out accommodations for you.ā€ He cast a warning glance at some of his crewmen who were leering up at Salina from the gun deck below. It was almost as if James were saying, try anything, and see what happens.

demented-tiger
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Incognito on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:32 pm

Santiago saw James come out of his cabin. The Captain was smiling and looked happy enough.

ā€œAh! Good day to you, Weā€™re just waiting for sailing time, and then weā€™ll be under way.ā€

Dropping onto the deck Santiago looked about. The ship was sturdyā€¦ if not small and underpowered. It would do. Perhaps he could do something about the cannons as well, he knew a few tricks for fast loading and minimizing recoil.

ā€œMr. Alex, show these gentlemen to their quarters.ā€

The Captainā€™s boatswain quickly came over and nodded.

ā€œIf you donā€™t mind, I think Iā€™d like to see the gun deck first.ā€

Santiago was already considering just hanging a hammock on that very deck. He enjoyed being close to the weapons. Made him feel safe.

Incognito
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chuckles on Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:26 pm

It seemed like Santiago had the same idea as Marcello as far as the firepower went. He knew that there was always a time, and never when you expected it, that you would have to fight your way out of something. But the guns had obviously served the ship well over the years.

Marcello followed Mr. Alex down to the berth deck and found a place to stow his bag. It was a decent size, but still cramped. He returned to the gun deck and took in the ship. He was ready to be under way, ready to be on the ropes and at the sails. He had always had a fondness for working the masts, even on the ships he owned, he would work the masts with the crew. It was fierce work at times, when sudden storms demanded the sails be stowed the men on the mast were thrust into the mercy of mother nature, but it was what he lived for on a ship.

Mr. Alex returned from the berth deck, "Well then, mind a hand on the main mast sailor, that gallant needs to be run out." Marcello nodded, glad he had something of use to do, he set to climbing the ropes to assist the sailors already above.

Chuckles
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Novelist Storyteller World Builder Group Theory Lifegiver Person of Interest Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aslin on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Santiago's sudden shout and concern of the lack of weapons on board the ship brought Salina to a stop. As she looked around, it was true that the ship was not as extensively equipped as other ships but like she had reasoned, the small size made up for it for it would be fast. Even then, she could understand Santiago's worry. But if Captain James and his ship had survived all this while, she supposed it could survive longer.

Lali on the other hand only threw a comment about the weapons before his attention was held by the ropes. Stepping forward, he began meddling with the ship's ropes.

It was then that Captain James made his way towards them and he welcomed them aboard his ship and asked for the other three to be given their accommodations while he turned to Salina and asked if she wanted to familiarize herself with the chart room. She was excited and hoped that James did have excellent maps for most Captains especially pirates possessed mere copies of the originals or their maps were poorly copied and as such many routes were removed.

"That would be best." She could take a look at his chart room and set up her own maps and equipment. She did not carry around much but she they had helped her draw up her maps.

"Perhaps later we can work out accommodations for you," the Captain said and Salina was not ignorant of the warning glances he sent to some of the men on board. Turning slightly, she glared at the rats who leered at her. She could hold her own and would break the teeth of any man who touched her. But having the Captain issue a warning did help her cause. She felt bad about causing the Captain a little trouble with her accommodations and if it did become an issue of where she slept, Salina did not mind sleeping on deck. She enjoyed the night and wouldn't mind it all.

Aslin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Incognito on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:23 am

While Alex lead them through the ship he slipped away and went to the gun deck. Santiago leaned over one of the four cannons. He knocked the barrel with the knuckles of his right hand and signed. It was only a 4lb cannonā€¦ Not enough for him to feel comfortable with the firepower. Perhaps the first ship theyā€™d hit would have at least a few 9 ponders.
He immediacy started familiarizing himself with where the cannonballs were stores, the gunpowder charges, and the fuses. Most of the crew was on the top deck and Santiago had time to get comfortable; Grabbing a net he hung it below the stairwell that led to the main deck.

Incognito
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:06 pm

Lali was not exactly fond of the ship. Yes, it had that underdog concept going for it, but something wasn't right about it. He had tried to find the flaws in the rope and found them to be utterly useless, the worst rope he'd ever seen, it was like a wine connoisseur drinking vinegar, no, even vinegar could be appreciated for its pungency, it was sawdust in comparison...

His eyes glided around the deck. His clairvoyence was usually sporadic, enigmatic, but accurate. He was still trying to understand that particularly bright light. It perhaps wasn't the light but the angle of the light, it really was like the sun was setting overhead, burying itself into the Earth all around. It was like that unreachable place on the horizon at a brilliant sunset.

Somewhere west, he figured. But now he wasn't seeing, he was smelling. The salt of the air was something different to him. He was smelling what would come, powder... spilled? Blood? Similarly lost. A conflict, and he would be on the winning side if he had anything to do about it.

Lali wandered below deck, driven by some sort of madness he found his way to an old barrel. "Yes... this is something important." He said to himself, sliding off the flat, resting top. Inside was another barrel full of pickles, but just between the two layers of wood were stuffed papers, some scribbled on, some calligraphically printed.

He gathered them with a murderous haste and had the barrel closed up again with relative ease. Strolling away as though he hadn't just had a mantic moment.

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Incognito on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:40 pm

The ship had been sailing going on four days now. Four days of doing absolutely nothing. The Captain had kept Salina out of sight the entire voyage, either in his private cabin or in the chart room. Rumors and jokes had already started to circulate the ship about that.
Lali had pretty much taken over running of the deck. Most of the crew answered to him when it came to tying rope and setting sailā€¦ especially when it came to tying rope.
Both Santiago and Marcello had taken charge of the gun deck, readying for the time they would actually plunder a ship. Most of the crew were starting to get impatient. The two often argued about the best way to load the cannons, tie the recoil rope et cetera et cetera, but the result of the coupling of their knowledge was one of the most efficient gun decks ever known.
As far as anyone of the men on the ship were concerned, Salina had spent just as much time in the Captainā€™s private quarters as in the chart room. Nobody knew just how much plotting she was actually doingā€¦ but most of the crew had their suspicious it wasnā€™t very much. As of the moment, the ship was sailing without a true heading.
----------------------------------
Another two days past and the ship had finally run into a lightly armored merchant vessel. Exhilarated by the thought of finally having something to do, the crew cheered for an attack. The Captain refused. He told the crew they had much more important things to do and to take a new heading of 60Ā° west.
---------------------------------
Five more days with no plunder. No action, no dock, no nothing. The crew had finally had enough. They werenā€™t here to play sailor! They were here to be pirates. They were here for money, which they had, so far, acquired none!
Santiago was the one who led the mutiny, inciting the crew into a vicious frenzy. He promised that they would find this city of goal their soon to be former Captain had told about, and he would do it without all this traversing the ocean endlessly without any activity what-so-ever. They would get their heading and be off, attacking any merchant ships they found along the way.
The fight was over quicker then it had begun. Captain James was apprehended almost unharmed, though he had forced the crew to knock him out before he stopped fighting back. The Captain was now locked in a cell on the lower deck of the ship. They still fed him, and kept him alive. Santiago assured them they would continue to do so until he could be dropped off at a port.
---------------------------------
It has only been a day since the mutiny took place and their ship has spotted a new vessel. After examination it was found to have eight guns, and a contingent of marines. The crew Santiago deemed important, Lali, Marcello, and Salina, were now gathered in the Captainā€™s quarters debating attack or retreat. Santiago was the first to start.

ā€œSo what do we do? I know I promised the crew plunder, but this ainā€™t exactly an unarmed frigate weā€™re talking aboutā€¦ Iā€™m not sure our guns are even enough.ā€

Santiago looked around the table the group was seated at.

ā€œSo what do we do?ā€

He asked again.

(( This was the best I could do. I had to make a lot of alterations, and a lot of time warps, and it isn't the smoothest post I've ever made, but finding a reason for us to mutiny was harder then I thought and required a lot of setup. I didn't want to kill James, incase demented actually returns and still wants to continue. Under the circumstances, I don't think it's half bad... Let's get this show on the road! ))

Incognito
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aslin on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:05 am

Had it been two weeks? Salina had lost track of the days as they fell behind each other with no difference. She was stuck in the Captain's cabin of which one portion served as the chart room. Rarely had she gone out and most of the time, it was at night when the rest of the crew were either sleeping or too pissed drunk to even notice her. She had been excited at the prospect at taking a look at James' trail to the city of gold. But her excitement had been shortlived as she was not given most of the details. James seemed to prefer to work with the main bulk of clues and maps leaving Salina to the mundane task of measuring. She had grown bored within the first few days, wanting to head on deck to feel the fresh air on her face but James insisted that there was still alot of work and she was stuck in the cabin.

It happened so fast even she did not see it coming. She knew the crew had been displeased with the Captain of late but a mutiny was not something she had expected. Or maybe she was too cooped up in the cabin to even notice. Led by Santiago, James was subdued and locked away. She was glad he wasn't killed for he was not a mean person and had treated her rather fairly.

It was now a day since the mutiny and Salina had managed to get her hands on the work James had been doing. She was rather pleased for she now knew what they were about and could start working on the map herself. She had yet to sit down and pour of the details but she knew the general direction they were headed for.
'
Lali, Marcello and herself were now gathered before Santiago in the Captain's quarters. Santiago had become the new Captain by default since he led the mutiny. She leaned against the wall near the table as Santiago asked if they should attack or retreat from the ship. If they decided to retreat, they would just carry on their way maybe even take a minor detour that would only cost them a few hours at the most to avoid the ship while still making their way towards the city of gold. But if they decided to attack, they might suffer damage for the ship was more heavily equipped than them. But that was for long range. If their ship managed to get near enough for a direct assault, Salina had no doubt, the crew above was capable of severe damage. And there was also the crew's 'happiness' to consider. Would they be pleased with the new Captain if they did not pilfer the ship? Furthermore, the could load up on their stocks.

Considering every point she had, Salina gave her answer, "I say we should attack but that is only if we have someone capable steering the ship. If not it is of no point." She did not know what the others might answer but they had to make a decision fast for they intended to retreat, they had to do so quickly.

Aslin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:15 am

Lali had proved an effective quartermaster. He kept the deck absolutely pristine. The crew may have felt he was a bit of a Nazi, taking every idle hand to scrap barnacle or gather rope, but he always made up for it at night. Lali had a way to make rum last, but also knew how to make men act drunker than they really were, thus feel drunker, thus pass out quicker.

Lali also had a habit of winning only sporadically at the nightly gambling tables, but when he did it was always with such a concise and embarrassing victory that he could hold it over the crew's heads for days. Lali soon let his Day= Work, Night= Play concept slide, and soon had the crew right where he wanted them, efficient, but not whiny, which kept faith in the mutiny high.

"I can steer a ship straight in a hurricane and I could turn it against a single wall of wind if I had to." Lali said, with his usual resolve. Consistency was Lali's highest pride, and figuring out just where all the fibers met, that sweet spot where the rope was strong but flexible... it really applied to life.

God he loved rope. It was a perfect metaphor for everything...

"I'll steer and do it well if it means getting more plunder. How can I be quartermaster if dere's noting left to quarter? I've gambled away Smid's favorite revolver three times since we left port. We need dis attack to keep dem from gettin ansy..."

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chuckles on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:05 pm

"We can out sail them, thats no doubt. But getting close enough to do anything with this blasted under armed gun deck is going to be a trick and a half."

Marcello scratched his neck, he had wondered why the ship had such a small complement of cannons and it appeared now that was because the captain had no longer had any intention of using them. Santiago had roused the men in the mutiny and Marcello had to admit he was glad for the change of leadership though he personally hadn't taken part in seizing the captain, though he played his roll enough. The four of them had gone from the new blood to the acting command and at this point the crew was happy about it. But they were happy because they had passed by to many targets and hoped to do some pirating now, and Marcello figured passing buy this one wouldn't keep spirits high very long.

"If we get a good heading we can come at them off axis, sail into the starboard rear corner of the ship, it will keep us safe from a broadside. We cut across their wake and hit them with a broadside to their port, we'll have a full shot at it and with any luck they won't be prepared for an attack against the opposite side of the ship. We run up all four guns to the starboard side and take out their gun deck in one swift blow. Then it's on the deck and let them have it."

He indicated it all on the table top. "We take out their port side, and once we take the ship we take the starboard side cannons on, we'll be much better off with eight guns."

Chuckles
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Incognito on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:44 pm

"I say we should attack but that is only if we have someone capable steering the ship. If not it is of no point."

Santiago remained at his seat and nodded lightly.

"I can steer a ship straight in a hurricane and I could turn it against a single wall of wind if I had to. I'll steer and do it well if it means getting more plunder. How can I be quartermaster if dere's noting left to quarter? I've gambled away Smid's favorite revolver three times since we left port. We need dis attack to keep dem from gettin ansy..."

He couldnā€™t disagree with any of those statements. He was glad to hear that Lali knew how to drive this bloody great thing. He sure as hell didnā€™t know how.

"We can out sail them, thats no doubt. But getting close enough to do anything with this blasted under armed gun deck is going to be a trick and a half."

Santiago nodded once more.

"If we get a good heading we can come at them off axis, sail into the starboard rear corner of the ship, it will keep us safe from a broadside. We cut across their wake and hit them with a broadside to their port, we'll have a full shot at it and with any luck they won't be prepared for an attack against the opposite side of the ship. We run up all four guns to the starboard side and take out their gun deck in one swift blow. Then it's on the deck and let them have it."

The Captain watched as Marcello displayed their strategy on the tabletop. It was sound, but relied on two things; A lot of skill, and a lot of luck.

"We take out their port side, and once we take the ship we take the starboard side cannons on, we'll be much better off with eight guns."

Santiago sat back in his chair for a moment and mulled over all he had herd. He agreed with everyone. They needed this, if to do nothing more then settle the crew. Hopefully they would sustain minimal casualties, but other then that, their hands were tied. They must attack.

ā€œThen attack it is.ā€

Santiago got up from his seat and walked out of the Captainā€™s cabin onto the main deck, making sure to push open the double doors in a very dramatic way. The crew were all gathered on the deck waiting for the verdict. The Captain paused for a moment and then pulled a sword from his belt and raised it into the air.
A thunderous roar erupted from the crew and forced Santiago to shout orders at the top of his lungs.

ā€œBring out the cannons! Put em all on Starboard side! Lali, get on the helm. Marcello, I want you on gun deck... make sure they donā€™t missā€¦ā€

He turned and looked at Salina.

ā€œYour on boarding crew with me. Everyone, get ready!ā€

Santiago returned to his cabin in order to put on his conquistador armor, which he had forgone for a more Captain like persona. He also dropped his sword, which he had taken from James, on the table and retrieved his pole-axe.

Incognito
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chuckles on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:52 pm

Marcello made a dash to his hammock where his weapons and coat were stashed. He loaded his pistols and tucked them into his belt sash, checked both rapiers before buckling the sword belt on, then on went the coat.

He came up the steps in the fashion of a seasoned battle officer, on hand on a pistol grip, the other on the lapel of his coat, shouting out his orders, "Mr. Darringer you have the gun deck! Blithwood get your sorry excuse for a sailor's arse on the rope and bring number four to bear. This is what we live for ladies, la bellezza ĆØ libertĆ !"

The men repeated the line and then set into rope songs, pulling in time with the song,

"I saw her there on his majesties ship
A beautiful girl in a foul mans grip
And shall I lend the devil his due

Pull on me hearty Pull on!

She cries to me from the devils whip
With sword and cannon we'll go and get
and run out the gun, the devil's awaitin

Pull on my hearty pull on!"

Marcello watched as the men worked, Santiago and himself had spend hours perfecting the crew for just such a time. They worked quickly, spirits high and hearts ready for a good fight. They had the guns ready in short order and stood at the ready, waiting as the ship made its way for the fight.

Marcello mounted the deck rail and steadied himself on a stay line. "Saluti my friends! There she is, that beautiful girl, and the devil in red claims her as his own!" The crew booed, "But what power does the devil have against us? We who live with that cruel mistress the sea and sail with him who takes the life of all unworthy Davie Jones? Do they think to scare us, out gunned and out numbered we are but they are men chained to society, we are men free, and I say we liberate that which is held captive in that sorry excuse for a ship!" The crew roared their approval of the idea. They wouldn't miss.

Chuckles
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Lali couldn't help but smile. He wasn't one for smiling. Smile only when necessary. It was a good rule, made each smile seem all the sweeter, but god, was there anything better?

With a single tug of a well placed rope the enormous man glided up to the wheel as though an angel was carrying him. The singing, the camaraderie... but nothing was as sweet, no nothing as that pre-battle smell.

When rain is about to fall, the grass emits a wonderful fragrance, a way to warn those around of the coming torrents, and entice lovers to madness and the lonely to insanity.

But the ocean gave off a different smell, it knew when a red rain would fall, and it readied itself. "And runt out the gun, the devil's awaitin..." He muttered to myself, as he took the wheel in his firm hands, the water wasn't unkind, but the second he had a grip on the wheel their path seemed straighter.

He turned to the man he had replaced, "Get to the powder room, stay on deck and you'll be dead before we reach the ship." He said, already having a faint vision of that same man dead where he stood. That meant Lali couldn't move anywhere to his right, less whatever was about to kill that man kill him.

God, was there anything better? The smell of rain before a redeeming storm? The smell of blood before a redeeming victory?

Lali was matching the other ship's movements, not letting them gain an inch in either direction. At that oportune moment, that wonderful climactic thing where the Lady Sea watches two suitors duke it out on her all-accepting breast, he would turn. He would turn the ship and rope would fly, good rope was in place, not as much as he'd like, but enough.

"Ready yourself boys. It's comin' to! It's comin to! Make de whole goddamn sea red wit dem!" He screamed, the ship approaching the sudden turn which would begin the volleys, the snapping, the crunching, and the screams. God, was there anything better?

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!