Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

My Country is Falling (Closed)

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

My Country is Falling (Closed)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:30 pm

I am an American citizen, and I am afraid. My country had hope once. It has never lost a major war, it is a free land for anybody, and it says hope. But, now.. it's falling. Immigrants are underwriting our tax system, house costs are falling and item costs are skyrocketing. Our economy is suffering because we keep outsourcing and buying foreign cars and other items. We are fast losing our global superpower status (if we haven't all ready) to China, who just happens to be hosting the '08 Olympics (surprise, surprise.) I'm scared that my country is dying even as I live in it everyday. If you have a comment, leave it here. However, I ask that no comment be shot down or made fun of This isn't Flame Wars.
Last edited by True_Grave on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"]Image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: My Country is Falling

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AzricanRepublic on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14 pm

Things could be worse. No seriously, they could. I'm not joking.
While a wave of immigrants is taking it's toll on the country itself, that doesn't mean that they are solely to blame. There's hundreds of hundreds of other reasons why our country is "Falling" by your standards. Blaming a single party hardly helps anything.

Reason one, America is being easily deluded on it's objectives, it's agenda's, and what it wants. You have every single party with every single objective that wants this, that, that, and this in it's pocket. We have hundreds of politicians bickering and bitching about how much they require funding to build a new form of something-whatsa-fuck-it-is in their shop. You have parties wanting the military and the government to function their way, you have parties thinking that this party should function their way, when they don't know what the fuck is going on.

People don't know what's going on today, how bad things very well could be. I can't blame the ignorant for being ignorant, because the ignorant are best at being ignorant. But I can't blame someone for thinking their country is falling because, yes, in a sense, it is "falling" from it's once former grace.

As "bad" as things are right now, I don't think it's necessary to go to the internet and complain about it. I think there requires a few more years of this "terrible" down-hill spiral before we should really start worrying.

I am an American, and I know for a fact, that shit could be a hell of a lot worse. So boo-hoo. :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

AzricanRepublic
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal Group Theory Person of Interest Salesman

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:24 pm

Well, I think things are pretty bad when house costs are falling and gas is continuing to rise. I know things could be worse. I'm not blaming the immigrants solely or it, because that would be racist and ignorant. However, I'm interested in seeing what people think. If you don't like the topic, stay away from it. However, since you are the only person who even commented, I appreciate it. It's not just today that people want things their way. Republican and Democratic parties want the White House their way, Radical parties want things their way. People buy all these foreign objects and wonder why the Dow Jones is losing all these points for our economy. Maybe things aren't as "bad" as you think they should be to post this topic, but I still think things are pretty bad. I tried to make that seem like it wasn't for Flame Wars.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:24 pm

Double post. Deleted.
Last edited by True_Grave on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AzricanRepublic on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:42 pm

It's a valid point where you're coming from, and it's a major problem with the country now-a-days. One shouldn't be "scared" of the situation today, one should only think about educating those who aren't the best within the certain field. Yes, every party wants the white house and the government run their way, and to be honest, their way sucks. Because their way is solely preoccupied with keeping their beliefs and their objectives subjugated to the rest of the populace. To be honest, they think that their way will help them get better, and that will inevitably allow the rest of the populace to "get with the program".

Being "scared" is a silly thing when it comes to this. There are a lot worse things to be scared off, having bullets bouncing off a chunk of metal four feet from you is a better thing to be scared of than rising fuel costs and dropping house values. It's bad not being in a position to change things, and that's what half of America is, not in a position of power. The sole reason, there's too many parties wanting too many things too quickly, and the lower people can't sustain it.

AzricanRepublic
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal Group Theory Person of Interest Salesman

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:13 pm

I'm not that scared. I fear for the future. If things are bad now, how will they be in ten years time? Five years? Recently, the Annheiser Busch company, which has long been a St. Louis staple, is going to be outsourcing to Belgium. This is an example of the outsourcing I mentioned earlier. The gas thing is squeezing poor and middle class people's money, as well as several other things. The war still has to be funded, and I think it should have ended by now. We're trying to work in an area that has been in religious and political turmoil since the biblical days. I don't think there's much we can do over there. However, some troops are being sent home a little at a time. We had an idiot president, so that didn't help things. I'm sorry if you are Republican, but George W. Bush is an idiot, and I'm glad he's leaving the White House. However, I'm unsure of the presidential candidates. John McCain was a great soldier, but he's Republican, and I feel he will just be a repeat of Bush. Barack Obama seems like a good candidate, but I wonder if he has enough experience and if he will act in accordance to what the people need. It's uncertain, to say the least.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby theskaboss on Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:57 pm

I'm also an American citizen, but I have a less bleak outlook on our country's future. Sure, we're having issues with our economy and government, and those problems can't be solved by slapping a few band-aids on it and treating them like scraps instead of what they are: deep flesh wounds. I'm not bashing your views when I say this, because I know many people have the same outlook as you do. But I think with some changes in our government and some long-term solutions that this country can really turn around. We have to help make these changes by voting for the right people, now I'm not here to promote anyone so don't get that idea.
We as a country have been through an economical depression before thanks to world war II we got out of it on top, but now that it's not that easy everyone is freaking out. This time we need to do the work to make it possible for more jobs, which with more money the economy will bounce back up.
As for the war I agree we need to get out of there! Although we can't just cut and run, I'm not saying it was right to go but we're in the middle of something, if all of the troops withdraw the nations will just go back to how they were, if we can solve the conflicts it'll be a step closer to world peace. Which is bigger then just the United States.

theskaboss
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:05 pm

I agree that America needs to turn itself around. I think more people should be buying American made products. It would stimulate our economy and mybe the Dow Jones would stop losing so many points. Now, I'm no econmist, but I'm sure it will take more than that. We also need to find some way to freeze gas risings. I believe that after we took Baghdad, the majority of our Army should have gone home. I understand we cannot just leave, but we should get out of there. And I don't know if us being over there in the Middle East or anywhere else is really edging us closer to world peace. I don't believe there will ever be any such thing. The best change we could ever make in our government would be for everbody to work in tandem. Tear down these political walls and work for the good of our country. But, that's just my opinion.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:11 pm

The United States are (not is) failing because the nation has just plain become too big. A democracy of 304,704,000 people is not possible, as any group of 10,000 or even 1,000,000 of those people will have no say in what happens.

Just about everything you've listed ultimately comes down to mismanagment of the Federal Government. And the reason the federal government is mismanaged is because nobody can keep track of it. Most of its branches are not directly effected by democracy in the first place, and those that are have become so far removed from most of the nation that they are both difficult for a citizen to keep up with and difficult to understand the purpose of.

Our empire has extended its reach beyond the capacity for any government to function.

The only way to fix this government, as far as I can tell, is to get rid of it entirely. Stop being the United States of America and begin being the Nation of Alabama, the Nation of Alaska, the Nation of Arizona, the Nation of Arkansas, the Nation of California, et cetera. At that size, democracy can function reasonably---as we see in European democracies, it does.

In most of these nations (Florida, New York: you've still got some wrinkles to iron out), there is less than half the beurocratic muck that plauges the Federal Government. Problems can actually be solved by democracy and business.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:07 pm

Sorry, man, but I cannot possibly agree with a solution that tears apart my country. I don't want to travel to another country just to visit family in Florida. And the reason they do it that way in Europe is because they do it that way in EUROPE. Not here. I hope you never get in government.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PATRIOT on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:41 am

It all comes down to one thing: apathy. If this were colonial times, people would be outraged, everyone was involved in politics and everyone had their say-so in what happened to their government. That's because for a time, though it was still a representive Democracy, America was once a Democracy. Never has been a true Democracy, which is in my opinion, the closest you can get to absolute freedom within a government, but that's for another time. Back then, at the slightest upset, people would be up in arms and ready to derail a bad policy or stupid law.

What do you have now? Well, when people don't like something they slap it on a bumper sticker on the back of their car and forget about it. Or they write a blog about it and refuse to do anything more. The latter I can understand much more, but in order to truly fix our country, it's going to take the American public waking up and finally getting off of its ass and defending itself against the growing threat of a government "by the people" that marks its citizens as enemy combatants. And don't fool yourself into thinking that voting for either of the major parties is going to stop that. While I will throw my support the way of the more liberal party every time (to forward the ideas of order through social progress,) I know that this truly does little to fix our country's current predicament. The conservatives say they'd like to see people independent from the government, but the truth is that these so-called conservatives have expanded government programs more than most Democratic presidents in the last eight years. The only difference is they expanded programs that spy on the American people and cater to paranoia and fear rather than programs that help people get on their feet. They say they'd like you to be independent of government, yet they want you clinging to it dearly as your protector.

The problem lies in the people behind the red curtain and the uneducation of the American public. And the only solution is education and action, lest we all succumb to the poison of Big Brother.

PATRIOT
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sittingboob on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:01 pm

theskaboss wrote: if all of the troops withdraw the nations will just go back to how they were, if we can solve the conflicts it'll be a step closer to world peace.

i like your view but it wont happen, a world full of free will will never be able to find peace its just not going to happen that way and it makes me sad.
Zdrastvooyte Meenya zavoot sittingboob Ya nee paneemayoo engleeskee :D

Xbox Live Gamertag: preacher jonson

Condoms & colouring books WANTS YOU!

sittingboob
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dapuhoh on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:45 pm

I don't like the idea of free will, i think it is quite arrogant of us a race to want this freedom. No other species does this, some people may this is what makes us human, but as i see it we are the ones destroying ourselves (this is a poor example) ant colonies work so well because they have a role and they fulfill it, ant doesn't one day deicde 'Screw this i've had enough scouting i'm going to go fishing' (apologies for the anthropormorthism [sp?]). I'm going to stop before it becomes a rant, i just don't think free will works. Could i live without being able to express myself, of course not, but i can't think of anything good free will has led to in the long run.

Just as a note, i have worked 24 hours in the past two days (barwork) and only had 5 or so hours of sleep. So this post is most likely rididdled with spelling and grammar mistakes, and more than likely makes no sense overall, over just comes over very communisy xD

On the immigrant subject, i think lots of countries have made it work, France, Spain and Germany are three countries i can think of that have high immigrant populations that aren't causing their respective gouverments headaches.

I'll shut up..
I love Bash!

"Real life should have a fecking search function, or something, I need my socks."

Dapuhoh
Member for 16 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Yes, I agree that free will has led to some problems. But countries that are ruled by a totalitarian government have it no better. The Soviet Union was Communist, and it was riddled with problems since V.I. Lenin first led the Bolsheviks in seizing Russia. The country became a global superpower, but it fell and splintered into several other countries. Also, think about what you're wishing for. Do you really want to live in a country where the government has complete power over your life? I'm not saying you can't have your opinion and believe it. I'm just saying that you may grow to despise what you wish for.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fractal Resonance on Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:54 am

I'm Canadian, so I'll avoid commenting too much on any of the stuff relating to America itself

A lack of free will breeds hate towards the controlling force, usually. If you cannot moderate the amount of free will a citizen is granted properly, you're stuck with either anarchy or rebellion. Either way the government is eventually overthrown because it's ineffective. I think the key to free will within a state is genuine moderation. It's like a scale you're trying to keep balanced. Take too much away, and it falls over. Put too much on, and it falls over. Is there an ideal government that can keep the scale perfectly balanced? I doubt it. But there are a few that seem to work pretty well.

Right now I don't see how America's problem is free will, really. It might be a lack of it... American citizens really don't seem to have a lot of political power, or they certainly don't seem to use what they've got.

Fractal Resonance
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:04 am

The thing that we must take into consideration is that the whole world is going to shit. Everywhere sucks. The global economy is estimated to fail within the next ten years. Civilization isn't expected to last more than five years after that. The world is coming to an end my friends. Plan as if it wasn't, live your life to the fullest and enjoy it while you can, but be aware of and prepared for the inevitable hammer swinging down.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dapuhoh on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:08 pm

I just think Free Will is among those many things that is so good its bad for us. I would hate to live without being able to follow my own path or express my opinions, but that doesn't mean it is best for me. Basically, my opinion is based on the fact we are the only 'known' species of animal to survive as long as we have with free will, some countries as someone said i have tried communism and failed but then again they were the only large nation doing so at the time, which could be the reason for its failure. To be honest i have nothing to back up this argument other just the general feeling that everything we like and want is usually bad for us.

Dapuhoh
Member for 16 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Having seen several opinions, I'm going to close the topic.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!