Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A Deadly Case of Mistaken Identity

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

A Deadly Case of Mistaken Identity

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Awesomeocalypse on Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:10 am

I've done plenty of one on one and group RPs...but I haven't ever tried to do a two versus one RP. And I think I've come up with a good idea for it.

The two would be a couple, obviously. Probably married for quite some time, and happy. No children though, unless you wanted an added challenge. A fairly successful couple, the man works at a descent job and the wife probably does something from home. You know...picture perfect. But that picture is shattered when one of the best professional mercenaries is hired to assassinate the man's boss, but mistakes the man for the boss and begins chasing him with full intent to end his life. The couple, of course, flees in an attempt to figure out what's going on and save their own skin while trying to clear their name.

I don't know more specifics...but the idea kind of just came to me. I'd do much more work on it if I knew people were interested. I have so many ideas just not enough time to play them all out. I like this one the bestest, though. And if anyone wants to through in some advice or tidbits that would make it totally more fun than it already sounds, I'd love to hear it.
Roleplayer.
Writer.
Dude.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Awesomeocalypse
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: A Deadly Case of Mistaken Identity

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:45 am

Intriguing, I'd be willing to give this one a good shot! Realistic RPs are my forte. And I think this one has a lot you could do with it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

shmband
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Awesomeocalypse on Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:20 am

I appreciate your support. I honestly just kind of threw that post together without much thought, so it's selling point is probably lost and sounds like garbage. I mean...first impressions are everything. I just didn't want to make anything too permanent just in case someone wanted to change something to make it better or easier to play.

But either way, it's based off of a Dean Koontz book called The Good Guy. Not exactly the same story, but very similar. I've kind of combined that story with my own family's experience and come up with this. I honestly thought it'd be pretty fun to play out.

As soon as I get another person willing to join, we can get it started. What part did you want to play, shmband?

Awesomeocalypse
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:37 am

I'm easy-going. I guess we need a girl to join to play the wife really?

If we're envisioning three roles, they would be the husband, the wife and...the mercenary hunting them? If so I'm more than happy to be the merc...I'm a big FarCry 2 fan so have some experiencing designing morally grey mercenary characters in my head. ;-)

shmband
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:41 am

Been speaking with a friend in the real world, she's not done online roleplay before but she's a seriously good writer. She might be interested in creating and account and taking the third role if you're still interested in giving this RP a go. Since I know her offline I can't promise we won't exchange ideas behind the scene's, but you'll still be the GM and as such you'll remain in the saddle as far as the plot is concerned.

What say ye?

shmband
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Awesomeocalypse on Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:51 am

I'd say by all means, get her to join. I was worried that this idea was just going to go unnoticed, but we can give it a shot.
And as for talking behind the scenes, that's fine too. However, if you two were to toss some ideas around, you might want to play the couple so that you can keep the mercenary guessing. That's just me, though.

I say let's go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

Awesomeocalypse
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby tobisquestion on Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:32 am

Alright Oli I'm signed up. What do we do now? :-)
></-/-¬]•> A Phisher Of Men

tobisquestion
Member for 14 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:14 am

Well perhaps a good start would be to not use my real name online, but we’ll let that one go!

So Tobi (not her real name) is going to play the wife. I don’t know her as well as a man should know his wife, but I’m happy to play the husband if Apocalypse thinks it’s best.

I suppose it really comes down to which role you think it would be easiest to GM from? On the one hand, the man’s movements and decisions will probably be the biggest factor in how the plot and locations develop – for example, suppose he jumps out of a plane to escape the killer, the GM will probably be the one who decides where he lands, so having the GM play the man makes most sense from that angle. On the other hand, if Tobi and I play man and wife there will be added realism because we genuinely won’t know why we’re being pursued, until the GM reveals it in a non-character/environmental post.

So I think it’s gotta be your call Apocalypse. It’s your roleplay, you decide who it’d be best you play as, and I’ll take the remaining role. Once you’ve decided, you can go ahead and set up the RP if you like, Tobi and I are ready to commit.

shmband
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Awesomeocalypse on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:47 pm

Haha. Awesome.

You have two very good points for where the GM should play. I still believe, being you two know each other outside of Gateway, you should play husband and wife so no twists and turns are revealed if you were to play the hitman.

But since you two are on board, I'll get started on the IC right away.

Awesomeocalypse
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:49 am

Cool, let me know where to find it as I still don't know my way around this site all that well yet. I'm imagining this RP will run a bit more like a "traditional" roleplay, with the man and his wife being the "players" working their way through an "adventure" controlled and governed by the GM, who also has an "Avatar" in the form of the mercenary.

I think you are right about us playing the man and wife, since we're online at the same sort of times so their conversations (and we all know how difficult it is to keep the pace when it's a conversation between two people) will go pretty fluidly and quickly, and we'll only really have to "pause" to allow you as the GM to introduce environmental /circumstantial events, or when they are actually interacting with the mercenary.

So we're definitely keen to get going, and have some nice ideas for "complicating factors" which will hopefully contribute to the plot, all subject to the course the adventure takes naturally.

shmband
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:52 am

Hey bud, is the IC set up?

shmband
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Awesomeocalypse on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:37 pm

Sorry it took me so long. I'm terrible when it comes to doing stuff myself.
However, I got the IC started. I didn't make a massive post, I tried to keep it as general as possible and just set up a good setting for you two to start your characters and their daily lives. I don't think I want the hitman to get involved right away, so I'll play as some random day-to-day NPCs until then.

But here's the IC: Have fun!
IC

Awesomeocalypse
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:30 am

Awesome. Do we need we need to do bios for a thread-based RP? Or just develop the characters in-thread? Tobi and I will probably knock out a bunch of posts today just to 'set the scene' - be prepared for a near "pleasantville" scenario...all the more dramatic for it to be broken later on! Then we'll put the two characters somewhere out and about in public, and at whatever time you reckon is right, the real plot can kick in.

shmband
Member for 14 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!