Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Edge of Desire {ic/restart}

a topic in Realistic Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based on the real world, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Edge of Desire {ic/restart}

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lavender on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:24 pm

It was Friday night. New York City was just now coming to life, as the evening descended on everything. Clubs were hopping with excitement, bars were swamped, and a thrill only the city could emit pulsed through the streets. People were just now getting out for parties, women and men flooding the sidewalks. That was one thing about NYC: diversity.

Kate Smithson was inside the apartment. She was hurrying back and forth between the bathroom and her bedroom, because there was no mirror in the bathroom at the moment, but there was in her room. You see, Kate's sister Devon decided to get pregnant at 16. By then, Kate was out of the house, and glad about it, not wanting to have to deal with her frazzled mother and irresponsible sister. Devon had a little boy, and named him Bono because of her love for U2. Haaaaaa. Now, he is five years old, and possibly the most obnoxious child on the face of the planet. And this past Thanksgiving, Kate had the family over, which wasn't the best idea... Bono decided to throw a temper tantrum and angrily chuck Kate's $60 bottle of perfume at the bathroom mirror, resulting in its shattering, and $60 dollars down the drain. Now that you know that, don't look so surprised that there is a lack of... mirror in the bathroom.

Annie walked out of the kitchen. She was wearing a tight, strapless blue dress that barely reached her knees. Her heels clanked on the hardwood floors. "Why are you in such a hurry? The party doesn't start for, like, another hour," she said casually, pursing her full, glossed lips. Annie had a mane of raven black hair, that curled but not in ringlets. She never brushed it or did anything to style it, because it already contained enough body and curl for the both of them. She leaned against the wall in the hallway between the bedrooms and the bathroom.

Kate was sitting in front of her full length mirror, patting some blush onto her cheeks. Her legs were drawn in Indian style, and she leaned forward with her lips pursed as she applied the rest of the makeup: mascara, lip gloss, and some eyeshadow. She didn't like to pack on the stuff, but this was a party for work. "So what? I like to be early." That reply got a loud snort from Annie. Kate rolled her eyes and stood up. Her attire consisted of a silky rose-pink dress that hung nicely on her feminine figure. It halted just above her knees, and she wore a pair of heels the color of bitter chocolate. She had a small cardigan, but she didn't plan on wearing it long. These events were always crowded and warm. Annie whistled.

Kate let out a breathy chuckle and brushed past her roommate, who had her arms crossed, watching Kate as she bustled around the house. Annie had her eyebrows raised. "Daaahhling, calm doooown..."

"I'm perfectly calm," Kate replied, pausing. "Where's my purse?"

"On the sofa.'

"Thanks." she grabbed her leather bag and slung it over her shoulder, taking one final look in her bedroom's mirror before grinning. "You'll be there, right?"

"Fashionably late." Annie said.

"See ya'." And Kate was off, down the stairs of the apartment because they had no elevator. She was outside in no time, strutting down the pavement. The chilly air didn't bother her, or her bare legs, the flights of stairs having quickened her heart rate and sped up the warmth in her body. She stopped. She closed her eyes, and breathed deeply. Then she smiled, and was off again.
Last edited by Lavender on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest." Larry Lorenzoni

my photography blog

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lavender
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: Edge of Desire {ic/restart}

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby thesilentstory on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:33 pm

The last thing Torrie could remember was talking to Gerard. He had come by the lookout to find and speak with her; maybe sort things out between them. She honestly didn’t know why, though; she wanted nothing to do with him. Not after… well, not after he had tried to force himself on her. This was the only time she had been alone with him since then, and still she was reluctant to do so.

But where was she now? Blinking her eyes open, she was surprised to see several people standing over her, looking worried. She had to bite her lip to keep from screaming in surprise, none of them were doctors, and they certainly were not her parents or her friends. Bright lights were on behind them, and she drew her hand up to her face to shield her eyes.

"Where am I?" she asked, trying to sit up. Her head spun, and one of the women standing above her gasped and helped her to her to balance herself. "Where is Gerard? And how did I get in this room?" Her previously blurry cleared up, and she could see that the people standing around her consisted of a man, a woman, and a girl, just a bit younger than she. It was the woman that had helped her sit up who spoke first.

"I could ask the same question of you," the woman said, her voice cal, yet her eyes confused and slightly fearful. "I don't understand how you got in here, seeing as this is the 3 floor of an apartment, and we have only one door. We were here the whole time; you weren't. One minute this room is empty and the next, there you are, lying unconscious on our sofa."

Torrie looked about the room. She was indeed in a parlor of some sort. Fairly small and decorated very strangely, she knew that this place was far from home. There were all of the things she expected to see in the room: a TV, some arm chairs, and a small coffee table. But then there were other things; like the large sculpture of- oh my- a half naked woman sitting near the door, and a very strange looking contraption that seemed like a futuristic bicycle.

“I am really sorry to have bothered you like this,” Torrie said suddenly, realizing that she needed to get out of there- and fast. “But I seem to have a little fog in the noggin, and I guess I’m the biggest tickle either. So I’m just going to split and get out of your hair.” She stood, steadying herself before walking over to the door.

“Thank you for not chucking me out,” she said, giving a short wave. “I appreciate it.” She opened the door, and walked out, turning to the sign that said exit.

The family simply stood in surprise and confusion as the young woman left their house. They couldn’t explain how she got there; she had amnesia of some sort, and… Well, it certainly beat mindlessly watching television for a half hour. After coming to grips with the fact that the woman was gone, they returned to whatever it was that they were doing before they had discovered her; after all, they were normal people, and normal people did normal things.

As she made her way down the hallway, she examined herself and her clothes. She was still wearing the [url= http://dietrovetro.com/images/50svintag ... 000006.jpg]dress[url] from when she went out with her friends, and, judging by the pain she felt when she touched the back of her head, a bruise there.

She made it to the stairwell, and quickly made her way down, her tennis shoes making soft padding noises on the tile. When she reached the bottom, she paused, unsure if she should walk out of the building at all. She could hear the faint noises of the outside world; they sounded foreign and dangerous. The Second World War had ended only five years ago, but what if, while she was in her unconscious state, another had been started?

She was frightened and alone, but she also knew that she would be better off finding out what this world was like, than standing around like a stick in the mud. She knew that discovering how she ended up there would mean her treading uncharted waters. And so, taking a deep breath, she turned the knob of the door, and walked out into the bright lights of a new world.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

thesilentstory
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rawrr on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:18 pm

Slowly, with hesitation, Mary comes to awareness, she can feel her body and she can certainly hear foreign things around her. A fly buzzed around her, and when it settled on her nose, she wiggled it gently, and with hesitation opened her eyes just a slit. It was dark, there were no stars... How dreary... There was some sort of honking, shuffling, the sound of machinery all around her. But Mary didn't stir, she was scared to. So she closed her eyes tight and tried to go back to unconsciousness. It wasn't until a soft fleshy touch presses against her wrist, trying to tug her gold bracelet off her gloved hand. With a start, Mary quickly sat up, slamming her hands against her chest in fear of whoever was touching her. It was a man, a dirty, bearded, homeless man.

"I thought you were dead!" He cried out, she had scared him as well. All he wanted was the gold jewelry and buy himself some smokes and food.

"Do I look bloody dead to you?" Mary hissed, scrambling to a stand in her big dress. She brushed her hands against the fabric that was wet and stained with whatever dirt she was laying in. It was a dead-end alley, only dumpsters and the old man's shelter littering the vicinity, past the dumpsters, Mary could see vehicles whizzing by, it unnerved her that humanity has gotten so far. She was, she knew, after all in the 'future', she was given another change instead of death to find love. Meanwhile, back in her time, her body was never found and it had never washed up anywhere.

"Well, I dunno, ya didn't move er anythin', why you wearin' such a big dress?" The homeless guy asked, keeping distance from the weird woman.

"Pardon?" Mary hadn't been listening to the old man, instead, she adjusted her hat atop her soaked curls, pulled her gloves up to their rightful place, adjusted her dress and was walking slowly towards the busier street.

"I said--" The man was getting impatient, "Where'd ya get such a big dress?"

"Oh you like it?" Mary stopped and turned towards the man, suddenly losing interest in the busy street, instead now her eyes were on her dress, hands stroking the train. "Jeanne Kensington, she is one of the most grandest tailors in town; all who have coin go to her. She resides just down Main road and Cockney avenue-- oh right..." Mary pauses suddenly, glancing around, "Jeanne is probably long dead by now; besides, you do not, by any means, look like you have coin."

"Ya seem, that's why I was tryin' ta take yo' pretty bracelet," the old man answers bluntly, to which Mary grimaces, not because he was trying to steal from her but because his speech was so... low.

"Here--" She slips the gold bracelet off her gloved hand with some struggle and hands it to the old man.

"Thank you, you're a real angel!" The man beams as if he's been given a million dollars.

"What year is it?" Mary ignores his praise, but takes silent pleasure in those words.

"2010, ma'am."

"Oh my..."

smoke it, feel it, fly it high.

Rawrr
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KaiyaFierce on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:20 pm

Teddy wasn’t having a good night. He’d come home in time to find his mum chatting to some door to door glassware salesman, all cutesy smiles and flirtatious giggles. Having a waste of space for a father was bad enough without having his mother start acting like marriage meant nothing as well. They were family weren’t they? They were meant to care about each other, love each other – be faithful. So of course he’d thrown the guy out, sent him stumbling into the street with his brochures and flyers flapping all about him like a flock of sickly white birds. He’d been asking for it, there was no need for his momma to go off on one like that, smacking him round the head and yelling. She’d said he was just like his father, going nowhere. He was nothing like that man, nothing. So he’d gone slamming out of there, hopped in his Chevy and driven out here to the old rail yard. It was just like a field of concrete really, with skeletons of rusted metal instead of trees and ancient cans of oil. He went out there when he needed a bit of space, it was out of the way of town and there was plenty of space to drive or just vent some anger. Stretching out on the hood of his car he stared angrily up at the night sky, the stars clear and sharp in their navy background. He was wearing his Levis, as usual, black ragged T-shirt and leather jacket. Big, F***-You black boots were on his feet, perfect for kicking doors down or flirty salesman. Damn that asshole. He raised his hand and pressed it over his blue eyes, pale forehead creased in frustration.

Suddenly the sound of crickets and silence disappeared, replaced by a furious cacophony of honks and clatter. He was no longer lying on the smooth bonnet of his car either, hard rusted metal pressing into his back. Opening his eyes and looking around him he seemed to be in an alleyway, stretched out along a dumpster. How the hell did he get here? Did he fall asleep and get pranked by the Wilson boys? They’d stolen his shoes and thrown them on top of the hamburger joint in town before, maybe this was a new joke. Jumping down from the dumpster, he withdrew a smoke from his pocket and lit up. Beautiful tobacco. Walking from the alley he stopped, cigarette dropping to his feet and his eyes took in his surroundings. He’d never seen buildings as tall as this, like mountains covered in lit windows. The sky was blank of stars, clouds reflecting the city lights. But that wasn’t what really caught his attention – the cars. Oh god the cars. Screeching down the road before him, sleek and purring like a kitten. Different shapes, colours and all of them superior to anything he’d seen before. He would of heard of vehicles like this, heck he’d have stolen one by now! His fingers itched to get under their bonnets, figure out how they tick. The second thing to catch his attention was the girls. Wowee. All legs, long hair and cleavage. His cheeks coloured just looking at them. Girls from his time wore dresses and all but they were always knee length and covering their chests...But these girls...Teddy had to stop himself from staring, ripping his eyes from their tanned limbs to the ground in front of him. He was conscious that he was drawing a fair bit of attention himself, his greaser clothes stuck out like a sore thumb among the smart suits and shirts of the men passing him. He couldn’t help but curl his lip at their clothes, they looked like them movie stars you see in the papers. How could you breathe under all those layers? And ties? Boy, there were guys not much older than himself all dressed up in layers of silk and shiny leather. Give him a leather jacket and scruffy denim jeans anytime.

He stood for a moment, unsure what to do with himself. He recognised the accents around him, a New Yorker had passed through their town awhile back. Hadn’t stayed long though, just stayed in the motel and started a fight at the bar. So he was in New York, but hell, it couldn’t be this different from his hick town could it? I mean the cars..and the women...no something definitely was not right here. A clutter of music caught his attention from the other side of the road, from what was clearly some kind of bar, the sign naming it ‘Chance’. Well he was here by chance so he figured this might just be some kinda sign from Jesus or whatever. He’d never been hot on religion, but he wouldn’t say he was unwilling to give it a chance. Plus he liked the sound of that music, it made his feet tap. Dodging cars he crossed the road and walked hesitantly up to his bouncers, conscious of his appearance. Men of authority generally aren’t too keen on his wild, dark Mohawk-like hair or tattoos. But they seemed unfazed and allowed him to pass, letting him into the music joint. He guessed they got a lot of weirdos or something because he could spot several people straight out who looked like they’d just stepped off of a music set. And there were a lot of guys in colourful, silk shirts that looked what his momma would call ‘a little fruity’. Whatever, he wasn’t one to judge and as long as they stayed out of his way he was in no mood to make trouble. He needed to ascertain what was going on, and how he was going to get back to Oklahoma. I mean heck, he had work at the garage tomorrow and Uncle Bill would belt him one if he was late. Squeezing his way through the crowd, aware of the glares he got from guys and glints of interest from girls he managed to reach the bar. Perching himself down he waited for the bartender to come over, his eyes on the dance floor. The way those people were dancing, it was frankly embarrassing. They were either rubbing all up against each other, like Mrs Almaner’s poodle and Mr Frank’s mongrel used to at the park when they were let off the leash for too long, or just a mix-mash of clicking and stomps. Nobody danced properly. I mean hell, none of them seemed to even know the same dance. No jiving that was for sure. This was one funny juke joint.

He finally caught the barman’s attention and asked for a beer, at least the twenty in his pocket was still worth something. The guy asked for ID, unsure about the contrast of the boys height and demeanour with his youthful face. Teddy didn’t reply, just shot him a down and dirty look and turned away. The next time he looked there was a cold beer waiting for him, and he necked it with relish. He was aware of the looks and stares he was still getting from men and women alike, but something about him made them stay away. He was no ghetto kid, but there was something about the guy that just wasn’t safe. Looking away from the stares he gazed down at his bottle, trying to fight off the feeling of sudden homesickness and loneliness that was pervading his thoughts. This place was weird, the women dressed like hussies and nobody was dancing right. Even his beer tasted different. Teddy struggled to remain his calm and collected exterior, gazing at the dancers in an effort to distract himself.
In visions of the dark night
I have dreamed of joy departed-
But a waking dream of life and light
Hath left me broken-hearted.

KaiyaFierce
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lavender on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:17 pm

Kate brushed by countless people; goths, gangsters, girls who were definitely too young to be on the arm of a middle-aged man, and the occasional sweet elderly couple who were holding hands and on their way to a romantic dinner. She smiled and sighed, folding her arms tightly across her chest and glimpsing around. She continued walking until she got to the crossing, waiting with a few others for the light to turn so they could safely travel across the white lines to the other side of the street.

Kate had been to this club before. In fact, the magazine held many of their gatherings at Chance. It was modern, had a great atmosphere, and a large dance floor. The cross light turned green, and the countdown began as she strode hurriedly. She reached the opposite sidewalk in record time, and headed the short distance to the club.

Once she closed the few yards between her and the entrance, she flashed the bouncers a charming, dimple-indented grin and walked in. There was a woman at the door that took her jacket, and purse. She inclined her head in a thank you and slowly made her way toward the crowd. Her eyes wandered, until she was practically bombarded. Her boss, Gregory, threw his arms around Kate and squeezed her in a slightly inappropriate hug, and she half-laughed. "Hello, Greg. Nice party."

"Nice? This party is far from nice. It's magnificent."

"Okay, then, magnificent. Where's the bar?"

He smirked and rolled his eyes, pointing in its general direction. "Don't get too drunk, love, we'll need you at some point." he chuckled, eyes sparkling.

Ha. "Don't you worry, Greg." Kate replied, patting him on the shoulder and ambling where he gestured to.
Last edited by Lavender on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavender
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentButterflies on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Party. Urgh. As Eden Mills lay sprawled across her sofa in an over sized cardy, leggins and big fluffy slippers, she could sure as hell say that a work bash was the last place that she wanted to be right now. No, she was quite comfortable just slobbing out in front of the TV for the night, munching on crisps and drinking brown pop. Her real idea of a night in.
Sure, Eden was a girl that liked to have fun, don't get her wrong, but with parties like these you could usually be sure to find everyone looking pristine, posh words being slung every which way as the office's slutty middle aged woman threw herself at the higher up gentlemen, unaware that most of her colleagues were lin fact laughing at her as she became more and more plastered.

Letting a heavy sigh escape her pale, shapely lips, Eden checked the antique watch that was slung around her wrist and instinctively, her deep, olive green eyes widened somewhat as she realized how late she was. "Oh shit," she muttered, stumbling away from her comfortable warm spot and tiredly dragging herself into the bedroom. Needless to say, she wasn't a girl that planned ahead and she'd put no thought what so ever into the outfit she'd be wearing to this dreary do, opening her wardrobe with a somewhat sour expression on her face. And as she did so she was attacked from every angle by bundles of material that had been previously dumped in random places once she'd got home from work, too tired to be organised.
However, as she rifled through her drawers, throwing clothes every which way she eventually resurfaced having changed into this, minus the bikini and shades. Sure, the outfit looked more like it belonged on a beach somewhere, but hell, she was a fashion designer! If she couldn't look different at a party, then she didn't know who could.

By the time her make up was done, only having added mascara to her eyes, her wild mass of bright orange hair tied into a bun and covered by her hat, Eden was a little more in the mood to party as she grabbed her keys and left her apartment with a spring in her step. Needless to say, it didn't take the girl long to get hyped up and as she wandered through the chilly air towards the club that the party was being held at, a little cold as her skinny pale shoulders stayed completely bare. Once she was in the mood for enjoying herself, it could last all night, no amount of alcohol helping this energy to increase even more. Nope, the twenty two year old seemed to run on fresh air alone, almost like she had a hidden battery back taped to her back under her clothes.

It was a full ten minutes later when Eden had finally hoofed the whole way to the club, coming to a stand still by the door and momentarily clutching her hat to her head as a little gust of wind blew.
"ID please?" Asked a gruff voice as she was about to wander through the door, a large arm coming out to smack against her chest, clearly stopping her from going any further.
"Whaa?" The red-head gawked at the bald man who stood there, mouth working like a goldfish's. ID? Well, shi-
"No, no! She's with us!"
Turning, her mouth still agog, Eden was suddenly bombarded with a hug off Faye, one of her very few friends from the magazine.
"Hey you," she breathed, hugging her back and letting the brunette drag her into the club, much to the bouncer's annoyance, but luckily he got the message and went back to searching a suspicious looking customer.

"I'm loving that whole beach thing you have going on," commented Faye as Eden was dragged towards the bar, hopping up onto a stool, thanking herself for putting on flats rather than heels, which she would have surely stumbled in by now.
"Beach thing?" The twenty two year old asked, one eyebrow raised as she called in an orange juice. "I'll have you know, Faye Harvey, that this.. This is more than just a 'beach thing.'" Giggling a little when her friend laughed, Eden took a moment to quickly scan the room and spotted Kate, another girl she got on well with and offered her a little wave before paying for her OJ.
"Well, you're the designer," finished Faye as her chocolate brown eyes scoped the room. "Hey listen, I'm just gonna' go chat up that hunk over there," the girl murmured, a little bit of a tone to her voice. "Jake didn't call me. So I took it upon myself to get back on the market."
"Well.. You don't mess around do you?" Chuckled a surprised Eden, watching her friend wander off just as abruptly as she'd appeared.

SilentButterflies
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Greeter Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby wednesdaysun on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:38 am

Driving down the gray winter. It was cold, the steam coming from the mouths of twelve other soldiers in the small truck, all of them jammed in there holding their rifles in case someone should attack from behind. Each of them gave each other equally weary looks, some were silently humming lullabies, some of them were talking to themselves, some of them were praying, some were asleep. Thomas Gilbert O'Malley, though, felt nothing. He missed home but did not talk much of it. He missed it far too much to be talking about it. He held the necklace that his mother had given him long before in his hands as he prayed, waited for the truck to stop. Getting tired of waiting, he pulled out a small notebook from his thick overcoat and a pen and started scrawling something on it. A curious fellow soldier, a gruff looking man with heavy stubble and unkempt hair kept in a thin hat, kept his beady black eyes on the messy scrawl that resulted from riding in a bumpy car in bumpy terrain. Thomas ignored the old man looking at the small notebook and continued to scrawl until the old man finally spoke.

"Wha 'ave ye got there?" the man said in a gruff, deep voice. The man sounded familiarly Scottish, so Thomas just smiled at him, knowing that at least one of his fellow brethren was there.
"I write." he replied back, his own accent thin and watery for he muttered.
"Where're ye from, boy?" the man said, leaning over to see the scrawled handwriting.
"Dumfries." Thomas muttered back.
"Dumfries, eh? Glasgow."
"Ah." Thomas said back, turning to him to give him a smile before looking back at his notebook.
"Why're you 'ere?"

Thomas paused for a moment, stopped writing and closed his notebook. It took some time for the question to sink in, as he never really wanted to be there in the first place.
"Reasons."
"We all 'ave our reasons, don't we?" the old man said, looking at the young man.
"For reasons I hate." he said back bluntly. The old man withdrew from his position and gave a sigh, the steam making clouds in the air.

Then, a boom, the truck turned over and everything turned to black.

He could hear nothing but the beat of his heart. All he could hear. All he could feel was longing.

To be loved.

He woke up on the cold pavement near an alley. He lifted his cheek off the floor and rubbed it as he squinted at the bright lights. It was evening, wasn't it? Why was it so bright. Wait. The streets... What's that smell? Wha--
All the noise and action was confusing him. People darted to and fro, everywhere. People ran, people screamed, people fought, people cried, people. People. People. There were so many. As he struggled to get the confusion out of his head, he sat up, taking his hat and taking off his overcoat, as it was getting very warm. He set it on his lap and looked around. The hat he wore was filled with several dollars and three cents. He tilted his head as he wondered... Benjamin Franklin... Who would be kind enough to give him a hundred? Perhaps someone kind? He put the money in his pocket, stuffed part of his hat in his pocket and set off, wandering into the streets looking like an absolute idiot.

Of course, there were very beautiful ladies, but with too much color in their faces than what I remembered. They were wearing the oddest shoes. My god, their feet were... It looked like they were going to the ballet but they seemed to have sticks up their heels. My god, weren't they uncomfortable. Horrid things. They must be what I think them to be.
From what I've asked around here, I think this is the New York I've heard so much about. But nobody's dressed like me. Of course they aren't. But... This isn't 1916. No. I asked around. This is strange. I always imagined there to be flying cars or otherwise. Aliens. Magic. Mystery. There is none of that here. It's the year 2010. I must be very old. But when I looked at myself, all I could see was me. I was still young. What was wrong with me? Have I gone completely insane? Is this a dream? I tried giving myself a pinch. By god, this is all too real. All too real.
"Believing oneself to be perfect is often the sign of a delusional mind."

wednesdaysun
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter World Builder Inspiration Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby katastrophy on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:41 am

Andy was exhausted. He was definitely having a bad day. He was sleepy and pissed with his boss. His boss, Jeremy "Bighead" Saxton who had an ego bigger than his head, had just decided that his well-praised design for their new project was idiotic and archaic in design, just before meeting with the client. Being the good little soldier, Andy had no choice but to change his beloved project into his boss' desired designs, ruining his brilliant idea and turning it into an annoying display of what could have been just another futile attempt of imitating the Empire State building. That was enough to tell him how terrible the meeting would end.

What was even more infuriating was the fact that after the presentation when they received the expected, "We'll call, but we won't really cause you suck" call, Bighead had the guts to call him an idiot to his face and walked out fuming from the lost sale. He wanted to bust his lights out despite the man's advantage on size over him, but kept him at bay with a good cup of hot coffee. If Simmons & Turner weren't amazing architects, he probably would have quit a long time ago with the Jeremy Saxton as his boss.

Taking a sip from his cup of coffee, he let the magic of the antioxidants do its work over his tensed muscles and push away the deadly thoughts he was more than willing to unleash on Bighead Saxton. The silence that enveloped the room as the rest of the development team decided to take in some peace and quiet away from what would have been another two hour of ranting which was mostly filled with complaints from their boss was suddenly interrupted by the ringing alarm of his phone. He got his phone from his pocket and groaned in annoyance with himself as he stared at the text that blinked back at him.

"Chance. Party. 7:00 p.m."

He was late. Rubbing his face annoyingly, he got up and thanked Jonathan for the cup of joe before storming out of the room and passing by his table to get his bag and his jacket. After retrieving his jacket and shrugging into it, he ran out of the building and hailed a cab, almost frantically with his hands shaking. But this was New York City, cabs were harder to find than lions in the middle of Africa. Luckily for him though, after a few more minutes of frantic waving, an old taxi cab driver took pity on him and let him in.

He gave the old man his apartment address and asked him to wait for him when they arrived. It only took him a good fifteen minutes despite the traffic. He knew he didn’t have to be worrying about the time, it was a party after all, but nonetheless he ran into his apartment and rushed his changing of garments. He decided to just wear a casual charcoal shirt with a dark gray colored vest over it and a rather vivid red necktie haphazardly hanging around his neck and just a pair of jeans and sneakers.

Once he was back in the cab, he took out his phone and started typing out a message to his friends informing them of his late arrival. The traffic didn’t help his predicament as they were retained for another twenty minutes before the driver could finally drop him in front of the club. He got out and paid the man, giving him a good 20% tip for his patience with him and looked around, hoping to see either Eden or Kate who was sure to get him in without the line.
"Green eyes, blue skies, natural disasters when she cries; Green eyes, there mine, it's only a matter time." - Cute is What We Aim For

katastrophy
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lavender on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:35 pm

With fluid movements, Kate navigated her way through the crowd, until finally reaching the bar. She didn't plan on consuming more than a few glasses of whatever alcoholic beverage she desired. Besides, she was one of the party's hosts. The magazine threw these parties at least once a month, if not more. Kate had it down to a science.

Women and men were cramped so near to each other on the dance floor that just the thought of joining them made Kate wrinkle her nose in distaste. She rarely danced at these gatherings. The only time you'd catch her dancing was at home, in her pajamas... "alone". She found herself tapping her heel to the floor along with the thumping beat, the rhythm contagious as it almost hypnotically drifted around the club. Leaning over the counter, she simply told the barman to bring her a glass of Shiraz. She wasn't much in the mood for hard liquor anyway.

Before he had the chance to bring her the wine, she saw Eden, and grinned. She walked toward her friend and coworker, meaning to stop and say hello, but her attention was drawn to the door, where Andy was trying to pass through. She rolled her eyes and strode toward the bouncers, reaching her hand out and grabbing Andy's. "He's with me." she said, smiling sweetly and pulling him into crowded lobby. She gave him a peck on both cheeks. "Glad you could make it," she murmured loud enough for him to hear.

Lavender
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rawrr on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:47 pm

"I'm here..." Maryanne whispered quietly to herself, though her whisper was muffled by the sound of New York. She was standing in front of a 'guarded' place named Chance. Behind her, car whirred back and forth; but from watching this modern time, Mary already knew they were for transportation, what the cars ran on, well, that was a mystery to her. Dark brown eyes gazed down at her attire in comparison to the others around her, she was wearing a formal light peach-hued gown, wide and billowing, a lovely orange riding jacket, wrist-gloves, and an orange petite fashion hat atop her curls, black feathers standing upright. But she was absolutely and completely soaked; had she not jumped into the lake with the intention of killing herself, she'd be dry and beautiful, but now, she resembled more like a wet rat rather than a beautiful Lady with a title.

The bottom of her bright dress has already been soiled in whatever the concrete road had offered. Mary bent down to pick up the front of her gown and approached the two bouncers, oblivious to the groaning line, "May I enter?" She spoke with a tone that of a lady's. The two bouncers looked at each other and grinned in amusement.

"You got an ID?" One of them spoke, his voice ridden in sheer purpose of amusement.

"An Ai-dee? No, I do not," Mary murmured, a flash of panic rushing through her for a brief moment until she lifted her skirts a bit more, "But I'm sure you lovely gentlemen can let me in without one," Brunette flashed a flirty smirk, allowing a brief flash of leg just bellow the knee. Once that ordeal was done and she threw the two men into a laughter fit, Mary was successfully inside with a few pats on the back for the great acting and outrageous costume, she made her way through the crowd aimlessly, women in excessively revealing clothing while she, the formal queen, drenched, her hair pressed to her shoulders, while those black feathers atop her head limp and ruined.

Staring, so many were staring at her, and little by little she felt more and more conscious of herself. She was beginning to panic what with the flashing lights and moving people, the loud music, it was all too overwhelming. Near the door, she bumped into a woman and a man wearing a vivid red tie. "Pardon," She called over the music, drawing her arms against her chest, hugging herself it seemed. The most logical thing to do in this place. This hellish place.

Rawrr
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KaiyaFierce on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Teddy shifted uncomfortably in his seat, painfully aware of how much he stuck out. Around him people were greeting each other, all air kisses and exclamations of 'Wow you look wonderful!'. The language was a little different then it used to be, still English but evolved in some small way, much more complex then it used to be. Everybody seemed so intelligent, beautiful and confident. He almost felt overwhelmed. Almost. Raising a hand he rubbed his hair upwards, making it into a mussy mohican, even if everybody around him looked different didn't mean he couldn't look different as well. All he changed was his hair but instantly those around him seemed to relax, less biker gang trouble more edgy fashion student. Not that he picked up on these impressions at all, being far too involved in scoping out somebody friendly to talk to. He needed to know what year it was, check he was in New York and then figure out how to get back before his Ma found out he was missing.

Eventually he decided on a young red head, her style set her out from the others like his, though it was clear she was a native to this time. She just exuded that future glitter that seemed to hang over everybody around here, as if there was something extra special in the water round here. The girl sat a little furthur down the bar, a drink in hand and watching her friend move off into the crowd with an amused expression on her face. Getting up he took a step towards her then paused, unsure of his next move. What do you say to future-people? Was there a new way of saying hello? What if he offended her? Shaking these ideas from his head he plonked him down on the seat beside her, chunky black boots careful not to tread on her feet. "Hey there, I know this is a little outta the blue but I need to ask you something..." he started, pretty face frowning slightly at how strong his Southern accent sounded in amongst this sea of New Yorkers "...I don't suppose you could tell me, uh, what time it is exactly? Year that is. What year is it?" Looking up he met her eyes, anxious that she should know he wasn't joking. His hands played with a bar napkin, tearing at the sides in clear agitation "I'm a little lost." These last four words were said quietly, staring down at his fidgeting hands. He felt embarassed, asking some stranger a question clearly everybody must know. But if he didn't figure out what the hell was going on here he would never get back to where he came from. Greasers, polka-dot dresses and rock'n'roll. A wave of homesickness flooded the dark youth, his jaw set with dissatisfaction. This was no way to ask somebody anything, that was what his Ma would say. Looking up he managed a brief smile "It'd be real helpful."

KaiyaFierce
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby thesilentstory on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Torrie was so overwhelmed. The high-tech cars, the flashing lights, the sounds and smells of a New York that was so unfamiliar to her, she was not even sure if she was dreaming. Men and woman streamed forward in large groups, as she stood in the middle of the sidewalk. The men looked different than she had remembered; and the women... well, they definitely didn't look the same. She was much more modest than the women she saw walking past her, and she was grateful for that too for, man of the men had wandering eyes and were looking at the women in a not so subtle way.

Snapping out of the initial awe, she began to move down the street along with the other people. Ma if she could find a street sign, she could find out where she was and how to get home. The traffic seemed to move at speeds quicker than she had ever seen before, and when she finally got to the street corner she was horrified to see that people were dashing in between the super fast cars to the other side of the street.

“Gee, everyone here seems to have heels on fire,” she said, running a nervous hand through her hair and looking around for the street sign. “West 27th… Oh!” She knew the name of the street for there was a malt shop there where she used to hang with her friends after a long day of classes. Taking a breath of relief, she crossed the street (after she’d realized the cars were stopped at the intersection), and headed to the most familiar place she knew.

As she reached the spot where the malt shop was, she grew confused. All she could see was a line of people going into the building, but no sign of any of her friends, or the pretty little sign the shop put out after six. She could see more women who were dressed strangely, men just as strange and then the two big men letting them in and out of the door. She looked at the building itself, which looked the same for the most part, but was missing the lark blue curtains and adverts in the windows. Instead, there were dark shades and blank window panes, and she could hear faint music coming from inside.

She made her way over to the entrance, stepping in line behind a few women about her age. She was amazed that they didn’t freeze in the night air, but she guessed it was all a part of the time. When it was her turn to enter, she had intended to just go inside- but the guards had another idea.

“ID?” the first asked her, raising a skeptical eyebrow. She looked at him with the most innocent look she could muster up and started him straight in the eye.

“No,” she said, giving a smile. The guard considered this and looked her over.

“No, eh?” He turned to his partner and he too, looked her over. “Now why is that?”

“I just don’t have one. Not trying to be a nosebleed and all, but I would really like to get in. I am sure you let many chicks in skins into this joint, and I’m no different.” She continued to give them the look, but her voice was beginning to sound desperate.

“She’s a truthful one, if there ain’t any in the bunch,” the second said. He gave her a steely look, but opened the door for her and held it as she stepped inside. She gave him back a smile over her shoulder and turned to see quite the bash going on. There were people dancing, people just standing around and chatting and people sitting at the counter, drinking what she knew were definitely not malts. Making her way over to the counter she took and empty seat.

"Can I help you?" The person behind the counter asked, a bored look on his face.

"Just a Coca-Cola, please," she said, turning on the stool to face the crowd. "Look at all these people," she whispered to herself, amazed that they could pack themselves on the dance floor. Where she came from, that definitely didn't happen; guys and girls never got too close, and this dancing... well that was in a league of it's own. Turning back to the counter she saw that there was a tall glass for cola waiting for her and she took a big swig. It tasted significantly different than she had remembered, and she did not like it.

"Well this night just can't get any better," she mumbled to herself, examining the rim of the glass. "I don't know where the heck I am, much less what year it is, and even cola tastes different." She pushed the drink away and folded her arms on the counter, leaning her head into them. This was going to be one heck of a night.

thesilentstory
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentButterflies on Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Once Faye had completely disintegrated into the crowd, seeking out that 'hunk' of hers, Eden's face fell just ever so slightly with the prospect of being alone, one of the main reasons why she really hadn't wanted to come out tonight. Everybody at these kind of parties were so formal, so.. so.. unnatural - It made her shudder a little as she took another delicate sip of her orange juice, the colour of the sunshine liquid matching the colour of her hair.
However, it was only once she'd set the now three quarter full glass down again did she catch Kate's gaze once more, pale thin lips having tugged into a smile as the brunette looked like she was about to make her way over... Right before someone at the door caught her attention.

Twisting the top half of her body a little to catch a glimpse of whoever it was, pale green eyes landed briefly on Andy, the tiniest of chuckles escaping her mouth as Kate went and brought him on inside before Eden turned away and back to her drink again.
She'd already made up her mind that she'd just have the one drink, greet a few people and then slip out of the room unnoticed. It wasn't like she was needed here anyway, what good was she to promoting the magazine? Her bundles of energy were more than her bosses could handle at times and they tried to keep her at arms length as much as they could - Not that Eden minded of course.
As long as she was left to get on with the job that she loved, the red-head was a happy girl. Needless to say she wasn't into all of the airy fairy stuff that unfortunately went along with her career.

However, it was only a couple of moments later when Eden's heavy thoughts were interupted by a deep, thickly accented, yet soft sounding voice that spoke from next to her.
Flickering her gaze to meet that of a rather handsome male's, the red-head, held her glass to her mouth for a second longer in slight shock before lowering it to the counter top below again.
It was in fact, the man's appearance that had really caught her attention though, rather than his voice. With his quiffed and unbelievably unusually styled hair, gorgeous leather jacket and scruffed up denim jeans, he certainly stood out from the rest of the crowd, Eden believing that all of her dreams had come true at once. Inspiration much? Definitely!
But then before she could say a word, he spoke before her and she frowned a little at the question, taking in his heavy southern accent and deciding that it suited him, his style, his beautiful features; everything really.

"Year?" Eden repeated softly, the surprise evident in her own melodic voice. "Had one too many beers have we?" She asked with the smallest of smiles, pale eyes suddenly showing concern however, as his jaw seemed to set with discomfort.
"It's.. 2010," the red-head replied, deciding it'd be best not to ask too many more questions. The male seemed really quite agitated by something, causing Eden to be a little bit on the wary side but still as curious as hell and trying not to let that side get the better of her. But then before she could over think things anymore, something hit her, something he'd mentioned earlier.. something about being lost.
"Where have you come from?" Asked Eden after a moment, turning to face him properly this time on her stool. "You said you were lost..? Is there anyway that I can help you find your way back to being... Not lost again?"

SilentButterflies
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Greeter Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby wednesdaysun on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Walking through the streets of New York, eh? This wasn't what he was expecting. He was expecting all the manner of ladies with bob cuts, makeup, the life, the luxury... All of that. But what he saw here was the future. And he wasn't expecting the future to be this bright. Literally. All the lights were blinding him as the cars passed by, all the store fronts with the bright lights for the front, he had to squint a bit just to get around. This was all too disorienting. He couldn't see well, all the sounds and smells and the couple of dollars that he'd pocketed... And he was still in his military uniform. Strangely enough, he managed to pass by a rather noisy place called Chance. Chance, eh?

The two bouncers outside the club noticed some military guy walk by. And then he approached them.
"ID?" the bouncers asked. Immediately, Thomas pulled out something from his pocket. It was a piece of paper with his details on it. The guards ran through it, gave him a curious look, and let him in, giving back the paper just presented. Once they'd closed the door, they looked at each other with a raised eyebrow.
"That guy was from the 1890s? You've got to be kidding me." the one bouncer said.

He was inside and strangely enough, it was warm. All the matter of people were dancing as if they were insane. Then they made moves. Suggestive moves. He'd almost thought they were... He immediately went off to a secluded place to take off the coat he was wearing. Underneath, he was wearing a sleeveless shirt... Almost like an A-shirt. Walking back into the scene and taking his hat off, as it was getting warmer and warmer, he decided to romp over to what appeared to be the bartender and ask for a drink.

"Have you got any lager?" he asked the bartender nicely. The bartender immediately pulled out the bottle, a tall one at that, opened it and gave it to him with a smile before attending to the other customers. Running a hand through his dark chestnut hair, he immediately took a gulp of it, it feeling nice in his throat again as it went down. Then he looked around again. This was unlike anything he'd ever seen before. It looked so much like those.... Honky tonks he'd been hearing about all the time.

wednesdaysun
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter World Builder Inspiration Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby katastrophy on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:21 am

"Where do you think you're going? Back of the line, kid." The brutish looking bouncer told him sharply as he stopped the frailer looking boy compared to him with only a touch of a hand. "I'm on the list, sorta. My friends are. And I'm not a kid." He corrected the man, glaring a little with the last words. He may look like a kid, but that doesn't mean he is.

Just when Andy was about to give up and decide to call on the girls, he felt a hand grab his and tug him into the building and through the clumped up group of people waiting for their own turn to get into the club. He realized it was Kate only when she had began to place quick pecks on both of his cheeks. He smiled down at her before looking around the room and looked at all the people. "Almost couldn't,"he murmured back despite the loud music, and ran a hand through his hair as he looked at her, annoyance clearly seeping back onto his face.

"My boss was being an ass again." He explained before looking around for the bar. "Nice party. Where's the other two by the way?" He asked, shoving his hands in his pocket as he looked for their other friends. He knew how the two weren't so fond of parties. He was however distracted by the sudden appearance of a girl, almost Victorian-looking with the way she was dressed, bumping into them.

"Pardon,"she called over the loud music in the lobby. He smiled softly in the woman's direction, assuming she was part of the program or some sort of theme party Kate had concocted up. "No problem," he added, smiling as he looked at Kate with raised eyebrows, expectant for an explanation of some sort.

katastrophy
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KaiyaFierce on Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:25 am

Teddy couldn’t help but smile at the girl’s shock at his appearance, then apparent delight – he didn’t really understand her reaction but it sure beat the frown or glare he was expecting. It was his turn to be shocked next when she told him what year it was. 2010? How was that possible? He should’ve been an old man by now…he should’ve passed through most of his life by now! His mum, his uncle, where were they now? I mean, if he was sixty odd years into the future, and they weren’t exactly young when he left them…Suddenly he was sitting heavier in his seat, his eyes boring into the bar top ”Hot damn…” he said quietly, his mind scrambling to make sense of the information he’d just received. He felt the panic begin to rise up inside of him, nausea choking his throat but pushed it down.

Turning back to the girl who was now looking on concerned and giving her a quiet ‘thanks’. Her next words created a strange bubbling sensation in his stomach, that slipped on his windpipe and eventually escaped his mouth in a loud, throaty Southern laugh. If she wanted to help him not be lost again then she had a helluva problem in her lap. ”Thank you for your sweet offer ma’am, but I don’t think you can help me…find my way back home that is. I’m not sure anybody can.” He stopped, frowning, but the laughter had helped. It was like his Ma said, a smile can brighten up even the worst situation. ”Guess I’m stuck here for awhile.” He took a large gulp of his beer, relishing the cold trickle, such a contrast to the sweltering heat of the nightclub. ”I have to ask though,” he said, leaning towards the girl with a confidential tone ”Why is it they dance like that? Like dogs scratching up against each other.” He sat back, a disapproving gaze shot at the girls with not much on grinding with their sweaty partners on the dance floor ”I don’t get it.”

KaiyaFierce
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentButterflies on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:46 am

Once Eden had stated what the year was, thus answering the male's question, she was a little concerned at his reaction. He seemed to take on a look that said 'my whole world has just fallen apart' as he over concentrated on the bar top, an unreadable expression touching his features as he muttered something that was inaudible to Eden due to the loud thumping of the music.
The red head just gave a small nod when he uttered a soft thank you, about to turn away again and leave him to his thoughts, which he looked like he needed, before she heard a deep hearty laugh, still thick of a southern accent and turned her pale green eyes back on him, only to find that his sombre expression had changed quite dramatically.

With a somewhat confused expression of her own, Eden took a tiny sip of her orange juice, before laying the glass back down on the counter, tracing circles into the wood beneath her fingers.
However, when he thanked her for the sweet offer, a little smile did work it's way onto her face as she glanced back at him, processing the 'ma'am' part of his sentence.
"You can call me Eden," she said after a moment, holding out her hand for him to shake. Silently though, the red-head was smiling away at how lovely he seemed to be. Not many people you met in clubs, and at parties like this were like him and to be honest, a little eccentric he may be, Eden found herself glad of the company and glad of the conversation. It beat sitting on her own all night and watching couples bump and grind on the dancefloor.

"You're welcome," she replied with a smile. "And I'm sorry to hear that.. you won't be able to find your way home but if you ever need any help..." With a shrug of her skinny shoulders, she watched as he took another sip of his beer, a small sigh escaping her lips. He looked like he wanted to be here just as much as she did. Although, his next question did have her leaning in a little to catch it, before Eden let a round of chiming bell laughter escape her lips. What a strange, yet really quite comical question!
"Your guess is as good as mine," she chuckled her reply, brushing her fringe a little off her face as the sweltering heat of the nightclub began to get to her a little. "I guess it's.. I dnno', maybe they think it's sexy?" With another grin when he said that he didn't get it, Eden replied with a small, "Me neither," before she turned her face ever so slightly to get a better look of him, her expression now one of amused curiosity.

"Say, I hope you don't mind my asking," she began, "But where is it that you're from? I mean you have.. amazing fashion sense, the cutest of accents and speak like you were born in the nineteenth century. If there's a town full of people like you then I'd love to know about it."

SilentButterflies
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!