Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Epic Science Fantasy Roleplay

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Epic Science Fantasy Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Afterman on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:29 pm

I apologize for the sloppiness of this interest check in advance. I'm quite tired.

Alright, so, I've contemplated some ideas here and there, and I've found myself wanting to start up this science fantasy-type roleplay. Lately I've been enthralled with the information regarding the upcoming video game title Destiny, and it, among other things, inspired me to try and work towards a roleplay. I like the concept of science fantasy, as it blends two genres that are seemingly at opposite ends of the spectrum of fiction, and combining the two is just a magnificent feat to accomplish in my eyes.

Inspired by Destiny, as well as other works such as Shadowrun, Warhammer 40,000, The Amory Wars, Doom and even Mass Effect to some degree, I wanted to try and get a group of like minded roleplayers together to try and formulate ideas for a world to craft and get people interested in.

Basically, what I need is a group of people (a small group, initially) to help me out and plan on what this roleplay would include and what questions to ask; i.e. How big will it be? What kinds of races will be created? How will magic work/what rules will it be bound to? How hard do we want the science in the fiction to be?

These are among the many questions that will have to be addressed. I require a group of dedicated and like-minded writers to help me answer them, and to construct what I hope will be a very amazing roleplay.

Don't hesitate to contact me about any questions or comments you may have, and if you're interested in joining the development team, wonderful!

Thank you for reading, and I hope to speak with you soon.
Last edited by The Afterman on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"But are you gonna kill her off?"
"It's not your decision. I love the character, she stays!"
"Yeah, well the only thing love's done is put you in this position; I say kill her off!"
"Yeah, but you say a lot of things -and how's that work? You're a bicycle."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

The Afterman
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: Epic Science Fantasy Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kilgannon on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:36 pm

Oooh, oooooh. Pick me!
This wind you talk of blows us from ourselves.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kilgannon
Member for 15 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Beta Tester Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mosswine Leader on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:06 pm

Hey, Afterman. Friendly neighborhood Mosswine Leader here. Scifi/fantasy is definitely my forte and area of interest, so you can definitely count me interested in this. I have a couple established ideas that you'd be welcome to draw some inspiration from, if you so desired. I'm also pretty adept at pulling stuff out of thin air, so there's that. Hope to hear from you soon!

-Moss

Mosswine Leader
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Afterman on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:22 pm

Hey Moss. Good to see you again (I was The Batman in a past life, just in case you weren't aware). Any help you could spare would be tremendously appreciated. It's great to have you on board.

The Afterman
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Uncle Shortbus on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:32 pm

You know, I was just considering seeing about doing an interest check for something kinda Shadowrun-ish. My PnP group is just starting to get into it, and I was gonna try and see how this plot I have laid out for a later arc for them would play out with testing. I'm definitely interested in at least seeing how something like this would play out before I dove right into doing it though. Count me in!

Uncle Shortbus
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marxism_smiles on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:59 pm

I could be interested in this, though I am more of a science fiction person as a rule I do enjoy science fantasy.

I am familiar with some of the inspirations you are coming from such as ME and War hammer 40K, I would for myself add Babylon 5, a few Asimov - Clark and Heinlein novels as well as other examples such as Scottcard's memory of earth saga.

Like all of us I have dozens of ideas in this direction which could go on forever if I started, but I would like to prosperous a few none the less, using your questions as a basis.

How big will it be? - From 3 years experience working with Space based roleplay's I can say that the greatest failing of these roleplay's is a lack of center. There is a reason why SF shows generally converge on a single ship or base, otherwise there would be no "anchor" for the characters.

The vastness of space is very tempting in a roleplay in its capacity to offer the player unlimited freedom, a freedom which often lead characters being literally light years away from each other and therefor unable to interact.

I think we need a center, a single planet and location on that planet for example to make it work.

Overall, I would like to see something different in a roleplay - and also a setting we can actually develop.

Therefor, I thought of maybe creating a universe in which the human race was on the losing side during a war between alien races. The catch is I would not want it to be the classical "genocidal alien invader" type of RP and rather have this enemy be something along the lines of an alliance of alien species operating in a fashion close to the Allies of the world wars.

In the peace treaty which followed, Earth's solar system would be transferred to a transitional joint allied administration pending a decision over what to do with these in the long term. Basically, this setting gives us the room to think of Earth's history and the future the aliens are trying to build.

How will magic work/what rules will it be bound to? - I think maybe a kind of Psychic power, I am not sure about it yet but I would say that it would have been this power which allowed the Aliens to achieve victory and that the humans would be in the process of acquiring it, which gives us room to develop it from their presepective.

How hard do we want the science in the fiction to be? - S Fantasy generally means not explaining how the engine works - rather focusing on it working. Maybe the magic itself would be about the plane of Hyperspace? a magic which is about the ability to convey power from a higher plane and is mostly used to travel faster then light between systems. In that way, ships would have magician engineers of some sort.

Well, that's what I have off my head.

Marxism_smiles
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Afterman on Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:22 pm

Alright then, well, I think we have enough people to build a basis to develop from. If you could all be so kind as to CLICK THIS LINK HERE, we can start the development process from there.

The Afterman
Member for 13 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!