Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Founding a New World

a topic in Fantasy Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in a fantasy realm (dragons, elves, magic), use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Founding a New World

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:48 pm

It was bright. Well no, that simple word did not describe the thirty-third day of the 1769 North American Colonization voyage. The noon sun was unhindered by clouds, as it shown down upon the two East Indiamen, slowly working their way close to the white sand beaches of what we might call Cape Cod in our own version of Earth. The calm ocean asked like a thousand mirrors, reflecting the light back into the eyes of everyone aboard the Joanna and Royal Captain.

Lieutenant Paddock blinked repeatedly, his overly large eyes watering in the bright light, as he stared at the approaching shore from the bow of the Royal Captain. He tried tipping the black felt hat in several different directions but to no avail, that cursed light always found it’s way into the small man’s face. The sneer that normally marked his face was replaced by a frown, at his own discomfort.

Ahead lay a new life. Ahead lay trials and rewards. They were to build the first colony in this land and earn the King’s favor by sending him the natural riches that the colonists were to cut from the fertile soil. So why was a detachment from the 5th Regiment of Foot being sent along? Well, there was a report, from one of the 5th’s very own that there were bloodthirsty natives upon the interior. It was unknown why they were not living on the coast but should they attack the new colony, a untrained militia rabble would not be able to drive them off, they would need the King’s men to do that.

It took the two East Indiamen another hour more to work their way to the shore. As the sailors began to ready the small boats, to ferry the soldiers and colonists ashore, Bowen Paddock checked the light saber at his hip and shoulder the Short Land Pattern “Brown Bess” Musket, which was issued to all light infantrymen.

“Sergeant Clarkson” he called, “Get the men into those boats. We’re goin ashore first to scout for any natives.”

(Edit: I forgot about this. If you want to know more more join up, please see the OOC thread: founding-new-world-ooc-t20404.html )
Its easy to be brave behind a castle wall
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion
A king's son is no nobler then the food he eats

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Re: Founding a New World

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheGoddessReborn on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:43 pm

*Idrial was hiding among the trees; she saw a group of humans coming up onto shore. Her eyes widened and her heart dropped.* "Humans... there coming to hurt me." *she stood on one of the branches, and did a back flip on to a higher branch landing lightly. she looked on as they began to come a-shore she sighed raggedly and a single tear fell from her eye as she remembered the slaughtering of her squad.* "brash actions, brings death. Stupid...” *she grunted and watched the humans and seeing what they were going to do.*

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TheGoddessReborn
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tempest on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:09 pm

"You heard the man lads! Look lively! Two ranks" Clarkson voice seemed to crash across the ship as he strode down the length of it, peering intently at the shoreline. This was not his first seaborne in invasion and after reading the reports of his fellows he was going to make damned sure his boys didn't meet a similar disorganized fate. "Move it you scum! His majesty doesn't pay good coin just so as you can spend your days in the sun!"

The soldiers grinned, they were used to the Sergeant's tirades that very often were nothing more then hot air, they knew what they were doing. One by one they formed up along the deck until the entire company, a full 160 of the Kings finest men, were arrayed in two ranks along the open deck. The company mustered the lieutenant, nine other sergeants, 12 corporals and 138 rank and file. Clarkson began slowly to pace up the first rank, hands folded behind his back, eyes running over each individual soldier as he went. He paused in front of one soldier, one eyebrow raised almost comically as the other one furrowed next to it.

"Tell me, Private Bristow, what would a man be wanted such a short length of rope for?" The corners of his mouth crooked slightly as he spoke, a smile tugging at his lips. Bristow was saved from answering by a voice further down the line. "He's a pretty enough thing Sarge, its to lead some girl away once we get inland." A chuckle ran through the ranks and Clarksons eyes snapped to the offending party.

"That so Simms? Did myself or his good majesty give you permission to touch the local wildlife?" The luckless Private shook his head as Clarkson advanced down the rank to stand before him. "Well no Sarge..." His words were cut off by the Sergeant. "Thats what I thought! You keeps your breaches buttoned Simms or I'll have your balls in the lieutenants stew. Savvy?" Simms kept staring straight ahead, which put him at eye level with the third button of Clarkson's red coat. "Couldn't be clearer Sergeant." Clarkson cracked a vicious smile. "Good lad."

He resumed where he had left off, at Private Bristow, pacing down the front rank, then down the rear until, satisfied, he turned to the lieutenant and threw a salute of bone cracking precision. "All ready and accounted for sah!" He spun back to the ranks and eyed them for a second then gave a great laugh and waved towards the edge of the vessel. "To the boats!"

The first boats to pull away from the ship could only carry sixty men and Clarkson was amongst them. He made sure to double check the priming on his musket, blowing away the old powder and pouring in new crisp powder. The others in his boat did the same and he noted with satisfaction the younger sergeants following his examples with their own squads. Finally ready, he turned his attention back to the task at hand. The land before him was lush and inviting but he knew what lurked there. He was waiting as the boat scrapped bottom, jumping from the gunwale and into a surf that came to just above his knee's. With a grunt he dragged is feet free of the sand and plowed his way through the relatively warm water to the beach, eyes scanning the edge of the woods, waiting for orders from the lieutenant.
Nothing to see here

Tempest
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Completionist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Phantom Rom on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:15 pm

"Tim" Bristow heard the call of her commanding officer, the girl dressed as a boy grabbed her rope, tied it to her belt, strapped on her belt knife, grabbed her musket and headed up the steep stairs up to the top deck and lined up with her fellow soldiers. Trish Bristow, younger sister to Taylor Bristow, daughter to Cecil and Frances Bristow, didn't exist here, only Timothy Bristow, brother to Taylor, and son to the Bristows, a sailor at sea, and a wife barried in the dirt. The girl could have been a boy, a small, scrawny and slender boy, but a boy, her short brown red hair was pushed forward, just falling above her eye brows. Her gray eyes rimmed by short eye lashes, just situated over a small nose.

She stood in line as Sergeant Clarkson walked down the line, he stopped in front of her, her eye resting at the second button of his coat. She listened to her commander talk. She was slightly shocked at the sergeant's question, most of the time she didn't talk to the higher up's in the military, and they really didn't talk much to her, she was still just a private, after all, she kept to her self as much as she could, but she had some good friends among her fellow soldiers. Before she could answer with a good reason some one else down the line spoke up. Trish had to hold a gag reflex down when she reconised (spelling is off sorry) Simm's voice and heard his explanation, Trish had heard enough for a life time from all her ship mates, about all the girls they tumbled. There were some things she really didn't need to know, she held back a shiver of discust and listened to her sergeant talk to Simms. Now the short haired girl had to bite her slightly chapped lips to keep from chuckling at the sergeants talk to his subordinate.

Clarkson walked down the line again, inspecting the soldiers. When his inspection was complete the whole company moved tward the boats that would get the 160 plus soldiers to the shore of a new land. 'Tim' filed down the line with every body else and got into the third and final boat and they pushed off twards the shore.

Trish hopped out of her boat into thigh deep water with a few other soldiers, they grabbed a hold of the boat and helped pull it ashore. The final few feet onto the sand. She took her musket from the boat and checked it over while the rest of the soldiers were leaving her boat.

When she was done she lined up in her squad and waited for order's from her sergeant. The soldier girl couldn't help smile at the land around her, this place didn't look much like her old home in England. No gray buildings, no stone walkways, it seemed free.

(edited to make sense)
Last edited by Phantom Rom on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere is walking distance, if you’ve got the time.

“A friend is one who walks in when others walk out.” [Walter Winchell]

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” [Leo Buscaglia]

Phantom Rom
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Maestro on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Hands folded neatly behind him, Veric stared out to the fields in front of him as he stood in one of the squatting towers that rose up from the large wall; he always kept close watch, always alert for any possible attack on the marvelous elven city that stood behind him, but also he frowned upon the death of his own. Several men and women before him worked in the fields, outside the safety of the wall. To this day, there had only been one real attack on their civilization, something in which Veric did not expect to occur again, so he had no worries, but you could never be too sure.

Running a hand through his hair, Veric turned to face one of the high-ranking officers who had so interrupted his peaceful state. "Can I help you?" Veric muttered, gently rubbing his neck. "We have reports of an unknown platoon landing on the shore of the big water sir. They seem to be armed, and may prove to be a potential threat. They come in their big boats, and red coats." Blinking, Veric scowled and turned back around, raising his head with distaste, growing more alert. "Uck. Big water. How do we know we have said people on the coasts? It is rare for an elf to venture that far, even I would not do such a foolish thing." Veric muttered, finding any elf that would go to such lengths to be either too brave or just stupid.

"Is that really debatable at the moment? We aught to be lucky someone was close to the coast, or we could be sitting ducks. And also, their ears are rather... different." The man replied, cautiously beginning to rub his ears. "Different? Define different." Veric asked, sighing and closing his eyes, hoping for better news. "We believe them to be of human dissent... sir." Veric's almond-shaped, emerald-colored eyes immediately widened as soon he heard the word, "human".

"If you remember sir, a year ago-..." Turning around, Veric got in the mans face and growled, "Yes, yes, I know what happened a year ago! No need to enlighten me. Leave me for the time being, and be ready for attack at all times as a precaution. If they do come, no one enters this wall, as if they could anyway." Veric mused, putting a hand on the mans shoulder for assurance. "Now get a move on, and get all of our people on the outside back inside the safety of the wall." Veric ordered, not wanting to have any unnecessary casualties on his hands.

"Yes sir!" The man said loudly, and proudly, saluting. "Actually, I have a better idea lieutenant, replace them with a small, obscure platoon of our own. If they do come, we'll catch them in a crossfire." Veric said sadistically, planning to replace the field workers with some of his best. "They won't be making it across that field if they do come." Veric added, feeling as devious as ever even though he rubbed his hands together nervously, hoping that this would work.
Last edited by Maestro on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maestro
Administrative Liaison
Administrative Liaison
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Beta Tester Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:33 pm

The sneer on Bowen's face was genuine, for once in his life. Normally it was just the way his thin face rested, probably frozen there from years of watching his father squander away the family's money and mistreat his mother. No, this time it was real and directed towards the landscape itself. Oh yes, it was a rich land but thats all it was, a pile of money waiting to be harvested. It was not a place fit to live, like he was going to be forced to do. There would be no beds nor warm fireplaces to spend a long winter's night beside. It would be crude pallets of rushes and reeds to sleep on and drafty log slums in the future.

The ship's boat he was riding in smashed into the soft sand of the beach, like a porpoise drive by some madness to lay upon the land. The sailors and soldiers leap from the wooden hull and either raced to the tree line with their fellows or began to push the boat back into the ocean, to return to their mother vassal but not the Lieutenant. He slowly rose and walked to the bow before making a dignified jump, to land just beyond the lapping waves. With a rolling of his shoulder, the rodent-like man strode join his men.

"This is an ungodly place Sergeant" growled Bowen, staring into the trees and seeing phantom savages lurking, just out of sight, 'And not fit for honest men. Good thing I have you lot, the dregs of the gutters, to help force from thing civil from the barbaric forests."

"Now" he said louder, turning to review the gathered company, "Listen up you blackguards. We're were for the long haul, with both savages out in those woods and no women of our own. I know some of bastards tried to sneak a camp follower aboard, by god, I heard about it every night from the Royal Captain's Captain!Keep in mind, that the only women around are the wives or daughters of the colonists, so no gettin ta friendly. We need those lads nice and happy, for their the ones goin ta be building our new home and growin our food stuffs."

"Sergeant Clarkson" continued Bowen, "Take the light infantry into the woods and spread out. Teams of two mind you. Make a search for a good place to build a stockade and to see if any unfriendlies are about. I will remain with the regulars and help the colonists ashore. I'll see to making a redoubt of rock and driftwood, in case you need to come runnin back."

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:24 am

Dyonz, broodingly thumped the side of the throne. His eyes narrowed as he peered at the scout, "Are you sure boy? Dara'lis has sided with the High King against us?" The young elf nodded before bowing his head, his voice low, "Yes Lord Tarr, Dara'lis and his Seneschal Garavra have swore oath and fealty to the High King and foresworn their alliance to you." Snorting, Dyonz stood and strode towards the window, looking out across the vast farmlands that surround Dun Caitsidhe, the flowing green hills just beyond the well-tilled lands abutting against the lush forests.

Turning the tall elf snarled, "Very well, if the High King comes we must be ready. Har'fal I want to make sure we have enough food and water to survive a siege." Looking at the scout, Dynoz motioned him over, "Lad I want you to ride to Dun Mora and give this to Eckert, and to Eckert himself, not to any lackey, or so help me I shall flay the flesh from your bones."

The young elf gulped then nodded as he waited for Dynoz to finish his message, once he sealed it, the lad said solemnly, "As you wish my lord." Bowing he hurried to his horse and the long half-day ride to Dun Mora north and east of Dun Caitsidhe. As the thumping of the horse carried through the window, Dynoz looked at the knights in the room, "Lads, unless a miracle happens we've a long hard fight ahead of us, and I fear the High King will not look kindly upon our opposition to him."

A wild-eyed knight began laughing, "Mi'lord Tarr, do you think we fear the High King or what ever army he may send against us? We fight for the dread gryphon, and woe to any who oppose our lances and blades." Other knights laughed and agreed whole-heartedly.

Dynoz chuckled as he clasped a hand on his cousin shoulder, "S'varin, should the High King be foolish enough to come here, I shall expect you to ask for his surrender." At that the room erupted in raucous laughter as the various knights boasted about how'd they defeat the High Kings army alone. Dynoz heard all this and smiled, the knights and nobles who still followed the dread gryphon were not beaten and would make any who came to siege these castles pay dearly in blood.

Before he could ask about the knights, another scout came barging into the great room, out of breath he stood a moment before he said excitedly, "Mi'lord Tarr, we have seen large boats on the Great Eastern waters, they are not boats we are familiar with, but they are boats. We have seen red figures upon them."

The great hall became silent as all eyes focused on the scout, "What did you say?" asked Har'fal the seneschal as he moved towards the scout, "Boats? Boats with red beings?" The scout nodded his head, his eyes ablaze with excitement. Har'fal turned and looked at Dynoz, "Mi'lord…the prophecy. The last days of the High King would come at the hands of the sea people…could this be the end days?"

Leaning on the arm of his throne, Dynoz lowered his head then looked up at the knights, a cruel smiled flared on his pale features, "Well it seems that perhaps fortune lies with us. If these are the sea people, perhaps we are not going to be the forefront of the High Kings wrath. I want scouts watching them; if they are opposed by the High Kings forces or allies we perhaps can turn this to our advantage."
The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse.
John Gardner

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hutch on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:59 pm

A strong wind blew around Arthur nearly causing him to loose his hat to the sea. He stared out across the starboard side of the Joanna to her sister ship the Royal Captain her majesty's own were gathering on the deck, preparing to launch ashore. It made Arthur feel a little safer in setting foot on this alien new world, he had heard the rumors running rampant in the cramped belly of the ship. Rumors of savage man like beasts that roamed the forests, waiting to flay anything foolish enough to wonder by.

Arthur shuddered, something the big man was not prone to do. Not much could strike fear into his heart, but this was a little too much. He had wanted to escape, but was it really worth it? To be thrust into the utter unknown, with no more than the clothes on his back, a hatchet, some seeds and a rusty flintlock rifle that he doubted even worked anymore. The only thing it was likely to kill was himself. Though despite all this, the land was almost perfect, with it's sparkling white sands that led up to magnificent lush green trees, all untouched, untainted by man. It was a sharp contrast to the dim lighting of taverns and the industrial gray of cities that he had become so used to as of late.

Arthur's dim blue eyes continued to marvel at the new world that lay before him when a voice called out from somewhere to his rear, "Right then! Lets go you lot, time to get ashore!" it was the captain, and on his note settlers started to lumber up from their lodgings below. Carrying packs of belongings, with a mixture of excitement and sorrow in their eyes. Many had lost loved ones on the journey over, from some illness or the other. This was one of the rare moments Arthur was a bit glad that he had no one left in the world to loose, he'd never have to suffer like they were ever again.

He gathered up his own things that lay at his feet, strapping his pack over one shoulder and his rifle over the other. He boarded the small rowing craft that would deliver him and a group of others ashore. As they cut through the dark blue waters of the ocean Arthur could not help but think, if only for a moment, that perhaps he could actually start anew here, that he could find new purpose, rebuild, forget.

Hutch
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:02 pm

Jenny Watkins was not a woman easily frightened, but the rumors she’d been hearing about the savages of the new world on this ship were enough to make even the hardiest man a little nervous. She was beginning to seriously question her resolve to come here, but as there was little she could do about the matter now, she designed to make the best of it. This was her fresh start after all, and the Lord rewarded those who had faith. The people on the ship, with the exception of a few dour faced officers, were of a likeable enough disposition, and though it would be hard work, a new and hopefully better life was achievable here.

She stood at the side of the ship, and simply watched as the first boats of His Majesty’s men row to shore. It was indefinitely going to be a hot day, as the sun was shining so brightly, so she’d forsaken her bonnet to the bag she now carried that held every position she own, excluding what she was now wearing. As she watched the boats grow smaller in the background, the wind picked up slightly, playing with her red curls, and she couldn’t help feeling a sense of foreboding. She dearly hoped, it was simply a case of the nerves.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:30 pm

The three scouts slipped silently through the woodlands, their leather gambesons whispered as the brush rubbed against them. The extremely long ash bows and the bundle of flight arrows told of the nature of those who wield them. The thick off-white tunics with the red flash and the rearing black gryphon on the chest, along with the off-white hooded cloak easily identified them as scouts for Lord Tarr. Weaving their way through the thick brush, their ears alert for any sound, their eyes scanning the brush and land for signs of the sea people, or worse yet, the Ard Ri (High King).

Silent as shadows the three made their way to a small bluff near the coastland sands were the ships were rumored to be. The lead scout paused a moment, his ears flickered as he heard a strange tongue. It carried along the winds, a language rough and harsh, yet similar to the language of the elf. Placing his bow down, Lau'rae parted some brush and peered at the sandy coast. Off in the deeps to of the Eastern waters were large boats, larger than any he had seen, coming towards the shore a few smaller boats with beings in red outer garments. Narrowing his eyes he raised a hand to shield them from the sun, he studied the boats, seeking anyone whom he'd consider a leader of the sea people. Anyone he and the others might have to kill if they proved to be a threat to Lord Tarr.

Motioning the other scouts back, Lau'rae exhaled as he crouched lower, he kept watch on the boats, the beings in them seemed to be similar to the elf, but appeared to be cruder, and less graceful. Even as he watched, he heard a snap in the woods a short distance away, then a loud snort. Ducking a moment, he gripped the hilt of his falchion, his ears straining to hear the sound of attackers. When none came, he raised his head and looked for the source. In an instant he spotted it, two knights in bright blue and yellow tunics and cloaks, they were knights of Dara'lis. A snarl spread across his mouth, curling into a cruel sneer.

Easing back Lau'rae whispered to the others to take aim at the knights, "We strike, aim for their horses, I will aim for their backs. Perhaps we can get them to gallop over the dunes and towards the sea people." One of the other scouts whispered back, "Why?"
Turning quickly Lau'rae hissed, "Because we can kill knights of Dara'lis and judge the skill of the sea people."

The other two nodded and raised their long bows taking aim at the flanks of the horses, Lau'rae drew two arrows, placing one in the ground before him. Licking his lips he pulled the string back and aimed for the back of the lead knight, slowing his breath he let his heart beat sync with his breathing then he loosened the first arrow, the second firing a half-second later. The others fired and hit their targets as intended. With a snort and squeal, the horses began a gallop over the dunes headed directly for the landing party. Both knights are grievously wounded with arrows sticking out of their backs. Not yet, dead, they had a hard time controlling their now frightened and enraged mounts, they would surely die before any medical attention could save them or before they could regain control of their horses.

The thunder of the hooves carried along the beach as the two brightly clad knights appeared to charge over the dunes towards the arriving boats. The sun gleamed along the great helms, the bright blue heaters held tight against their bodies, the long spears held tightly, but only because they had been couched at rest while the knights had observed the landing.

Lau'rae and the other two scouts hunkered down and watched the reactions of the sea people, each of them curious as to how these red people could or would defend themselves.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:03 pm

Private Roberts's eyes nearly popped out of his skull, as he fumbled to bring his musket to bare and cock the flintlock. He was just north of the nearly all of the rest company and the landing spot for the incoming colonists, patrolling like a handful of other regulars. Not that any of them really knew why their officers were making a fuss about it. These beach seem very, very empty and devoid of any threat or at least it did, until the squealing of injured horses broke through the song of birds and waves.

For the first half second he had looked upon the charging horsemen, he had taken them to be Polish Lancers, in Swedish uniform but that thought faded as his eyes caught the flash of sun off the helms upon their heads. Even the Winged Lancers had abandon armor (he though their might be a flash of chainmail too) and helmet like that by now. The spears too, changed his mind. Long they may be but not the nine feet of wood and steel those wicked Poles liked to use.

No the closest thing Private Roberts could name those charging men were......Knights of all things. Still, that did not change the fact that they were charging him and that he was a lone infantryman, lacking the square's protection from such an attack. As the cavalrymen were nearly upon him, the redcoat finally raised his musket, the muzzle pointed at the leading knight's head and pulled the trigger. All the world fell silent, as the weapon roared, spewing smoke and lead from it's mouth. The large lead ball smashed it's way through fine steel, into the brain pan of the knight and out through the back, before the now dead Elf fell from the saddle.

Not waiting to see if he had killed the man, Roberts threw himself to the side and crashed into warm sand, as the now riderless horse trampled over the spot he had once stood. The second knight, for some unknown reason or simply madness, continued to charge down the beach, not turning around to finish off the now vulnerable redcoat.

Lieutenant Bowen swallowed the curse he was about to shout, when he heard the gunshot and turned to the north to find this newest hassle.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tempest on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:50 pm

"You four! Weapons! Aim low or I'll want to know why! FIRE!" Clarkson bellowed the last word and the four muskets crashed out smoke to topple the horses into the sand. He moved swiftly forward, musket tipped with a lethal bayonet. He had no need of it. One of the horses needed a mercy shot and he applied it swiftly, of the two attackers, one managed a last gasp as Clarkson loomed over his before blood bubbled form his lips and he collapsed limply into the sand. With a heavy boot the sergeant heaved the body over to look at the arrow sticking from its back, snapped off nearly at the point of entry. He turned swiftly on the men he had ordered to the woods, calling out and waving an arm.

"Back from the woods! Back!" The redcoats paused as if uncertain and his voice seemed to double in intensity. "I said back from the woods you daft bastards! MOVE!" The redcoats immediately began to fall back towards the landing site and he paused only to give Roberts a pat on the back. "Fine shooting lad, but next time you wander off on your own I'll tan your hide, savvy?" The still white private nodded and hurried to join his fellows, the sergeant close behind.

"Rioght you 'orrible lot. Those locals, despite having been no match for muskets were already dead, arrows in their backs. That means there are more of the bastards out there with ranged weapons and they knows how to use em. Now, you get out your digging tools and make up some barricades right sharpish to protect the landing until I 'as a word with the lieutenant. I want position there, there and there." He pointed to the areas that could dominate any other approach to the beach, waited for affirmation from the sergeants and then left them to it as he hurried off to find the lieutenant.

"Sah!" His shout caught the officers attention and he stamped to a halt, leaning in closely. "Hostiles sah, two of em, already dead from arrows in their backs. I have ordered the men into a defensive position on the beach, well clear of the tree's, begging your pardon of course sah." He made it sound like a question but there was no question that the aged sergeant was relying on years of battlefield experience as he laid out his report.

Tempest
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Completionist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Phantom Rom on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:49 am

Trish went to the boat she came over to the beach on and took out one of the shovels that they stored on the gunwales. 'These natives don't waste time with the welcoming wagon' she thought to her self walking away from the ship toward the soon to be barricade, and looking at the dead soldier's that her fellow soldier's killed. 'Chain mail, helmets, lances? and no guns. huh, well at least we know at least from these guys that this place could be as advanced or more so than us, then we might have a bit of a problem.' She thought to her self.

To be honest she was suprised when the horses and rider's crashed through the woods, as soon as she heard the sound she brought up her musket and sighted to the soldiers, but she hadn't loaded it before hand, she didn't want to leave a loaded gun on a ship. So she didn't fire and started fumbling with cartrages of powder and the ammo that the smooth mustekts took. By the time she had her gun loaded the other soldiers had fired and killed the enemy.

The reddish haired soldier moved to the first location clarkson pointed out and started digging a trench type thing, where the soldiers could put large spiked trees into the ground making an effective wall, if they so choose later on.

But that would take time, so Trish just dug a trench and threw the dirt behind her making a short sandy wall. "Gorsh it's hard to pile this sand" she said gruffly, as shovel fulls of sand kept sliding off the top. She frowned and made the sandy wall thicker so the sand would sit on the top better and kept digging, following her fellow soldiers as they started digging too. It wasn't long after that most of the soldier's aside from Trish and a few others had stripped their shirts off in responce to the sun that was beating down on them.

Trish's shirt was soaked in the front and behind right in between her shoulder blades. She paused for a bit, 'I should have brought my kit from the ship' she thought to her self, her kit held a water skin, her uniform, a sharpening stone, a large thick shirt that used to belong to her father, and that was about it. But she wished for it now, for it held water. Trish started digging in the sand again as the sun beat down on the soldier's.

Phantom Rom
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:36 pm

Lau'rae watched with interest as the long stick the man held exploded, and then watched the body of the knight jerk under the impact. Frowning he studied the movements of the others; they were protecting the boats, their positioning similar to a row of pike men preparing to fend off a cavalry charge. Electric blue eyes studied the movements, and then he spotted what he was looking for, a noble. The way that one addressed the other told Lau'rae that there was a chain of command and it started with the noble, then his major domo apparently was the man who was precise with his movements, like a veteran of war. Turning towards the others, he motioned them back.
Once on their mounts the three scouts thundered back towards Dun Caitsidhe, the three horseman pushing their mounts for all they were worth.

Dynoz frowned as he listened to Har'fal and S'varin discuss the possibilities of the Ard ri coming at them in force, with an impatient wave of his hand, Dynoz said "Lads, the sea people will take precedence over us, they must. Was it not these sea people and their fire sticks tat laid waste to some of the Ard ri's men? Indeed it was a bad beginning for this false king was it not?" The others fell silent then S'varin said softly, "Dynoz even if the Ard ri is facing these sea people, there are enough lords who support him. We will not be allowed to sit on the side of this battle."

Har'fal nodded, "Indeed the Ard ri has enough to lay siege to us for three months before we will be forced to surrender. He will be able to face these sea people still with his main army." Dynoz pondered this for a moment, his hands tossing a dirk between them, the blued blade catching the sunlight and reflecting the light onto the floor before him.

Standing Dynoz nodded, "You are right, both of you. Leave me, I am going to the sepulcher." With quick nods of heads the other two left Dynoz Tarr alone in the great room, as he stood there he sheathed the dirk and turned to a stairway built in such a ways it would appear as part of the wall. Quickly taking the steps down he came to a heavy iron gate. Peering at the gate, Dynoz studied the intricate workmanship of the gate, the symbol of the gryphon hammered and beaten into the scrolling iron bars.

Pursing his lips, the tall elf inhaled and pushed the gate open. Stepping inside into a long room, lit by several candles, along the wall are carved niches where caskets lay, ancestors lay in quiet repose. At the end of the room are several large sarcophagi with the images of warriors carved onto the lids. Striding quickly towards the three large monuments, Dynoz dropped to his knees, his head bowed in reverence.

After a moment of silence, he spoke, " 'Lo my ancestor who have guided this line with strength and wisdom, 'lo my ancestors who extend back through the mists of time, 'lo my ancestors who founded this family I have come to seek guidance. Before me lies the Ard ri and his lackeys, seeking to destroy all you have built." Dynoz lowered his head, his brow furrowed as he prayed silently, seeking guidance for what to do. As he knelt there, in the gloom and flickering light, he felt a draft, a subtle shifting of the air around him. The candles flared and burned brightly, casting an eerie reddish glow along the stone surfaces of the sarcophagi. Turning his gaze upon the brilliant light, as he focused on the glow it slowly faded away. A thin cruel smile crossed Dynoz's lips as he stood and patted the monument, "Indeed I have seen and I agree." Turning he quickly strode out and up, his mind swirling with the idea presented to him.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Bowen forced his hand to slowly unwrap from around the hilt of his light saber, as he took in three slow breaths. That shot and seeing cavalrymen charging from the woods had been enough to send a surge of adrenaline through his entire system. He should have been angry at Sergeant Clarkson, for issuing orders like that, like many junior offices would have been but he was glad one of them had kept their head and not wanted a fight to free the body of stress.

"Very good Sergeant" said the Lieutenant, "Keep thinkin on your toes and I'll make you Company Sergeant Major before the week is done. Now did you say that they were already dead, from arrows in their backs? How odd, one would think that theirs friends would have shown up by now, ta help or investigate the shots or their foes ta loot the dead, if they were in a battle. Perhaps we have lurking highwaymen in those woods and they were scared off, like those yellow bellied frogs we fought, those half dozen years ago? Lets have a look at the dead, Staff Sergeant Clarkson."

Fully expecting Clarkson to follow him and not make a fuss about the field promotion, Bowen briskly walked over to the closest of the fallen knights, laying were he was flipped over. With a dissatisfied grunt, he squatted down and inspected the arming sword at the man's side. Even in it's sheath, it was plain that it was a far wider and heavier blade then even dragoons used. Such a weapon might look grand but was not the blade for the slender officer of light infantry.

Ignoring the sword, he pulled a pouch from the man's waist and pulled the drawstring open. Inside glittered several gold coins, each baring a strange face and marked in letters that resembled Latin. After pouring out the small pile of loot, the Lieutenant counted them back into the pouch, saving but one on his palm. After weighting the coin and staring at ti for a time, he tossed it at Clarkson.

"Barbaric" Bowen grunted, "Not a proper guinea nor shilling in the lot. I do believe we have a corporal who took the King's shilling after getting caught counterfeiting. We'll have ta have the man set up shop, once we have the time and make a real coin out of these pieces of slag."

Placing the money pouch down on the white sand, he grabbed the great helm in both hands and yanked it off the Knight's head. As the dead man's hair settle, he almost dropped the heavy steel. From the Knight's golden hair, a impossibly long ear jutted, tapering off into a point. He just had to touch it, to make sure that it real and not some part of a strange costume these native savages wore into battle.

"What devilry is this" he breathed, tugging on the none detachable ear.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hutch on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:05 pm

The first optimistic, if happy thought in over a year, was crushed within Arthur's mind as quickly as it sprouted. What would really change? Just because he was half a world away didn't mean everything would be fine, it didn't mean his sorrow would simply vanish. He looked down from the strange new land and sighed, dipping a hand into the somewhat warm ocean water, he let it trail there for a moment as the ore men pushed the boat along.

A sudden shout sprung Arthur's head up from the crystal blue waters. It came from the beach. He strained dim colored eyes to see just what had caused the outcry. If he didn't know better, he would have said a pair of knights rode from the tree line, outfitted with gleaming armor and all. His visage did not let down it's mask of stone, though he was quite surprised. It didn't take long before the boat hit shore, and curious settlers jumped off en mass to see if their eyes did indeed tell the truth. Arthur followed behind, careful not to get his rifle or it's black powder wet.

When he reached white sand he dropped his pack of clothes, setting the butt of his rifle on the ground and began to prime it for shooting. He reached for his black powder and dumped some down the barrel, biting off a piece of cloth from a string hidden under his shirt he placed it one the end of the barrel, putting a lead ball on top of that. Finally he reached for the ramrod to pack the mixture down firmly within the barrel. He stopped there not finishing the loading process, if the need to fire truly did arise all he would need to do was cock the hammer and pour a little powder in the pan, greatly decreasing the time it would take to fire.

With that he reslung his belongings over his shoulder and went to discover what really had happened. He didn't get far until one of the soldiers blocked his path, "Sorry mate, can't let you through jus' yet. If you'd kindly take a step back," he was thin and wiry compared to Arthur, it wouldn't have been much for him to force his way through, but he complied, "That goes for all yeh! The L.T ill' inform everyone in due time." The flock of settlers reluctantly obeyed, retracting back towards the water line with murmurs of confusion. Arthur stood, watching the tree line, rifle in hand. If more were to come he wouldn't simply stand back and let the red-coats handle them. Not that he doubted their ability, he just wasn't one to sit idle while others fought.

Hutch
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheGoddessReborn on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:45 am

looking on in horror, the fighting had began she jumped from the tree and took out her curved elven sword. she saw a arrow hurtling towards her and created a small green shield with the arrow bounced off she looked on and failed to see the guy behind her, which he then slapped the back of her head with the side of his sword.

she grunted and fell forward on her knees and groaned from the pain. "ahh.." *she turned quickly and repelled his next attack slashing his hand quickly with a spinning strike. "go you filthy human.. hu-man?" *she began to run and flipping over objects that was in her way.

sighing finally away from him she hid behind a large pillar which to her horror another human jumped over it and looked on. or was it? he looked different.. elf-like or was it her imagination?

TheGoddessReborn
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:32 pm

Once it was time for the civilians to land as well, Jenny was one of the first on the boats. She’d heard the gun shots, but the ship boat had been too far at the time to really get a good look at what was going on. After reaching the shore, they were stopped by the soldiers and told to stay put for the moment. In her mind this confirmed something too dangerous for settlers had happened further up along the shore. It was hard however too see with the red coats blocking her view.

Driven by curiosity, Jenny quietly walked around to the other side of the group. She hoped to be able to see around them at this angle, and indeed, managed to see what looked like a dead horse. There were horses in this new world too? How interesting, though she was sorry to see he horse had been killed. She’d always been fond of horses, perhaps these native horses could even be made to ride one day. Time would of course have to tell on that matter. Though she was determined if ever presented with the opportunity to ride one, she’d most happily take it.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tempest on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:40 pm

The sergeant didn't bat an eye at his sudden promotion. Far as he was concerned the officer needed the best man in that position and Clarkson was certainly the best man for the job. A brisk walk kept him up to speed with the officer as the two approached the dead creatures once again, Clarkson eyeing the woods for more of them as the lieutenant bent down to inspect the dead.

The coin glinted in the sunlight as it was tossed to him and he caught deftly before inspecting it in his palm. It was indeed a shite bit of work and Clarkson muttered his agreement as he flipped it between two fingers before pocketing it. His attention was drawn back to the dead figures by the officers exclamation of surprise and he edged closer to look, horrified by what he saw.

"Lord above sah. What manner of creature is this?" A tug at the ear confirmed his own disgust. He spat and settled back on his haunches, staring at the dead creature.

"It aint human sah. Thats for certain. They die just as easy though and thats all that counts!" Wood made a heavy "thwack" as the sergeant slammed the stock of his rifle into his hand. "We know they can die, so let them come."

Tempest
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Solunar on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:56 pm

As her horse crossed the drawbridge, Irdine pushed back the hood of her cloak, and gazed at the castle that stood before her. She had never resided outside the white walls of Culor. Staring at Emleri's grey walls, she saw that the bricks here had weathered more wear and tear, a sign of the many rebellions that had taken place near the border. Thankfully, it looked like Emleri had withstood the armies that had tried to assail her. Irdine was about to sigh, but stopped herself as they passed under the archways of the gates. She smiled at the soldiers standing at attention at her arrival, noting their wearied faces. The castle commander must have put them on high alert, fearing another rebellion despite their recent victory.

Her horse stepped across the threshold, and a fanfare started. Hemor, the advisor accompanying her, had told her what to expect, but she was still slightly taken aback by the crowd that lined the streets. The elves in Culor had become used to her frequent jaunts into the city area, and did not pay much attention to her besides clearing a space for her horse to manoeuvre. Here, they had armed soldiers lining the streets to keep the citizens in check. As she made her way towards the central area of the castle, she saw that there were many young elves smiling up at her from the crowd. The fanfare continued until she passed into the courtyard, and the doors were closed. Quickly, one of her attendants came to help her down from her horse.

"Greetings, Banphrionsa. Welcome to Emleri. Your humble servant, Seneschal Vorerr, at your service. Your humble servant hopes the journey here was a smooth one," a middle aged elf dressed in robes of impeccable workmanship bowed slightly before her.
"Seneschal Vorerr, it is a pleasure to finally meet you. The Ard Ri has spoken so much about you. Come now, there is no need for such formalities," she smiled.
"Oh no, Banphrionsa. It is a regality that must be strictly adhered to. Your humble servant hopes that the Ard Ri has only spoken good things," he smiled back.
"He has, Seneschal Vorerr. I do hope you will help me in the coming months, as you have done for the Ard Ri."
"Your humble servant will do his best to serve. The Banphrionsa must be weary from the long journey. Please, allow your humble servant to show the Banphrionsa to her quarters."
"I thank you, Seneschal Vorerr."

Irdine followed the Seneschal down a series of corridors, before arriving at her room, where he excused himself. Irdine entered the room with her two personal attendants who quietly stood by the door. The room had a high ceiling, with archways that divided it into living, sleeping and study areas. It seemed to cover an even wider area than her room at Culor. The whole place was decorated in an emerald and gold colour scheme. She entered her bedroom and saw a few white irises sitting in a flower vase at her dresser.

"Apparently my brother has had a hand in the color scheme and decorations," she said, approaching the irises and holding one up to her nose. Her personal attendants giggled. She inhaled deeply, closing her eyes. The smell of the iris reminded her of Culor, where she had personally grown a few on her balcony. She suddenly felt extremely tired. "I think I shall rest my feet for a while," she said, lying down on a reclining chair near the window. Soon, she was fast asleep in the warm sunlight.

Solunar
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!