Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Ghosts of Nottingham

a topic in Books & Literature, a part of the RPG forum.

For any roleplay based on books or other forms of literature.

Re: Ghosts of Nottingham

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amamelina on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:30 pm

Vi gave a startled yelp as the first filthy brigand entered the carriage. Before she could scream, he quietly let her know that she should remain silent. Another dirty man slipped into the carriage and she was surrounded. She could feel the rocking as others took care of her driver.

“Greetings milady,” the first man said cheerfully. “We are the Sherwood stewards. May we see your gold?”

Vi's hand flew to the trinket around her neck. She had just been thinking of how exciting it would have been to meet the rebels, but the reality was far more frightening. She was trapped with these men. More then just gold was at stake.

“Please, don't hurt me,” she simpered. “You can take my gold. Just don't hurt me.”

Her blue eyes filled with tears and she let her lip tremble. If her sobbing routine did not sway them any, then maybe the small dagger she kept down her corset would help convince them to leave her be. No one stole from Lady Vivian Cooper and got away with it. She would be sure to tell the king of this outrage!

When one reached for her necklace, she flinched back. “Please, sir, not this. You may have anything else I carry, but not this necklace. It is all I have of my dearly departed husband.” She felt the tears leaking from her eyes, her words wavering. “Please, let me keep the only memory I'll ever have of him.”

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Amamelina
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:55 pm

"Well, Madame, if it be so emotionally troubling to you, then keep it. With compliments of the Great Hood." The man retracted his hand with a chuckle, but the two quickly set to cleaning any scrap of valuable from the shoddy carriage, save for the necklace that had brought tears to the woman's eyes. Soon, both men had sacks full of clinking treasure, and Vivian had nothing left to her name but the carriage, her clothes, the necklace and her honor. One of the men winked a brown eye at her, and as his companion dove out the window he spoke to her one last time. "We thank you for our patronage, Madame. Do tell the King that we appreciate his visitors!"

And with that, the men vanished from sight. The driver, who had been bound and gagged, was untied and left by himself before he even had a chance to strike out at his attackers. Another successful transaction.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amamelina on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:15 pm

Vivian waited until she was sure the brigands were gone before she left the carriage. They took everything! The money, her jewels, expensive perfumes, her various trinkets that were gifts by admirers that helped make her appear of higher statues then she was...all of it! All she had left was her few carefully kept dresses, all of an older fashion then what was in style. She would arrive to the king as a pauper!

She slammed the carriage door shut. “Get me out of here,” she snapped, “Now!”

They appreciate the king's visitors, do they? Well, if she had no reason to hate them before, she had cause now. This Hood will pay for these crimes. Vivian would see to that.

“Well played, Hood,” she muttered darkly, “but this was your first mistake.” Her hand tightened around the trinket. She would have to sell her sob story to the king and pray that he had enough charity in his heart to help her.

The next time she met with those men, she would kill them!

Amamelina
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cass on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:16 am

It wasn’t movement that caused the deaf girl to take notice, or even the swaying of the branch although that too was disconcerting. There was a smell that had tipped her off, and had she not wanted to learn more, there was no way in which she would have been so easily caught. The woman didn’t appear to be of a great danger to her, and the feel wasn’t quite there either.

Had Robyn housed something sinister within her eyes, she’d have found herself drawn up on the short end of a long sword. The weapons stayed sheathed, at least until the crimson pantalooned buffoon wove a very colourful path of destruction and obvious activity through the forest floor. The girl seemed to ignore Robyn’s banter, although truthfully, she couldn’t hear it anyhow. Amberlynn had been studying her eyes, knowing full well that the eyes were the window to the soul and that if she harbored ill intent, it would have shone there no matter what her lips flapped about.

Silently and swiftly an arrow came to bear upon a bow that seemed to slip into grasp with the grace of an assassin. But it was not aimed at Robyn. Rather, it was aimed at the man on the ground below and even if she was a dull aim, which she was not, she could not possibly miss such a brightly outlined target at this range. A glance to the woman seemed to indicate that she was happily prattling on about whatever it was she was prattling on about. Amber was suspicious but her curiousity at the nature of this rag tag band urged her to wait it out.

The worst case scenario here was that she’d shoot the man and have to fight the woman. The shrug of shoulders was a natural enough movement, a steady hand against taunt bowstring ready to deliver a fatal volley should her instincts prove wrong. Perhaps the woman would leave her be. No. That was a vain notion or maybe even a wish. First of course, they wouldn’t understand her apparent lack of speech and though Amber could most likely bluff her way through most of it, it would become apparent soon enough. They’d want her out of the tree, probably wondering why she was spying on them and who she worked for.

Oy. She’d not thought her resting place through very well after all, or she’d not have allowed for this.

Cass
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:30 am

Hearing the commotion of shouts from Hood and Will, Quinn peered at the man and then traced where he looked, stepping away from the fire so it wouldn’t affect his vision as much, he strained to see among the dark foliage. As Will drew his blade, Quinn snarled and drew his war sword with a subtle whisper as the sword left the sheath, leaving a linger “Shnnk” as the blade rasp on the metal buffer.

Stepping further into the shadows, Quinn said softly, “Well, well unexpected company.” With a quick half step Quinn positioned himself near a tree, the majority of his body hidden by the trunk, looking up in to the tree, Quinn tried to make out the shapes.

Exhaling softly, the knight studied the area where the intruder seemed to be, with quick sure steps he moved in a semi-circle to gain a position flanking the tree that Will stared at. The whole while his sense strained to hear a whisper of cloth, or an exhaled breath in case there were more, in case the kings men had managed to locate this camp. Clearly it wasn’t as secure as the Welshman had boasted about it someone was in a tree watching them.

The shadow draped knight finally reached a young sapling a scant few meters from the larger tree, pausing he allowed his breathing to ease and calmed himself, the excitement of combat was starting to course through him, narrowing his stormy colored eyes Quinn lifted his sword and reflected the muted light towards Will, hoping the man would see him in position.
The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse.
John Gardner

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:56 am

Robyn's bright eyes narrowed dangerously as Will was targeted by the thus far silent girl. She made no move to draw a weapon, though she could have done so easily and ended the girl's life before her last laugh had finished ringing through the camp. Instead, she tilted her head slightly, tucked her tongue back, and emit a single shrill whistle. Before the sound even ended, twenty bows were laden with arrows, all directed to the girl in the tree. Robyn sighed softly, shaking her blond head and keeping her narrowed eyes trained on the stranger that had so suddenly decided to become an enemy by targeting Red. She was also aware, only because she had seen him leave the fire's side out of the corner of her eye, that the powerful templar was likely circling them with his new blade ready to taste flesh if the woman tried to dash off.

"I'm afraid you've made a rather harsh mistake, milady," The Hood explained almost gently, "For now it looks as though you are not only an intruder, but an enemy at that. I trust my men to land every one of their arrows directly through your throat if you so much as loosen that arrow towards my man below. And you will not escape if you try to run, that I swear to you by the Virgin Mary herself."

Leaning forward slightly, which may have looked a bit dangerous while crouching on a tree branch, Robyn lifted one hand and calmly pointed it towards the ground. She was beginning to think that this girl was either abominably rude, foolish, or slightly deaf. Either way, the pointing was the clearest gesture she could think of. Drop the bow and go to the ground, in the simplest of terms.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eric on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:24 pm

As the woman nocked an arrow to her bow and leveled it on Will, a smirk rose upon the crimson-clad swordsman. Silvery-grey eyes rose up to meet Amberlyn's own, fixing them with a deadly gaze as if challenging the woman to let her arrow fly. The man was dangerous and reckless, oh yes. But more than that, beyond his devil-may-cry attitude and tough exterior, deep within his psyche, one would almost think he wanted to die, yet refused to surrender his life to himself or another. It was as if the man wanted to die fighting. Scarlett grew unsettlingly quiet as he stared up at the woman, Robyn's words falling on more than one set of deaf ears. Will slowly brought his sword down, pointing the tip out to the side, his arms clear of his chest as if to offer the intruder an unobstructed target. In the darkness, those eyes glinted with danger -- despite the near impossibility of it, one might think that Will intended to fight the woman from where he stood.

In the back of his mind, Will registered the movement of the Hood's men. From the corner of his eye, Will noticed the templar reporting his position to the red-clad freedom fighter. The leaves bristled, the youth's minds eye painting the picture of hidden bowmen. The camp behind him quieted, the raucous banter falling into silence. The lack of noise was an indication, more than anything else, that the area was being surrounded.

It was then that Will heard Robyn whistle. A near malicious grin crossed over the young fighter's features as he heard the bowstrings of twenty men creak back as one. The tension in the air alone told Will that each arrow had found it's mark and was begging to be released.

"Call 'em off, Hood." Will spoke, his eyes never leaving the stranger. "Tell 'em ta' put down their bows. I don't want ta' win like that." The tone in the red bandit's voice offered no refusal or question -- it was a command. Fingers tightened around the leather braided handle of the single-handed longsword, the blade held completely and utterly still, devoid of any trembling whatsoever. Will's entire body was tense, his muscles poised and ready to strike. Scarlett knew the woman was good, he had no doubt about that. She had found their camp, whether by order or by accident. She had skirted the camp's scouts and infiltrated the Great Hood's lair -- a task not easily accomplished by any man, woodsman or nay. Something about the look of the woman, possibly the ice cold yet primal look in the woman's eyes, told Will that she was no king's man. No, she had suffered due to men of such station. She was a kindred spirit, whether she would admit it or not. Still, Will did not let a threat to himself slip away easily, nor did he allow anyone to fight his battles for him.

He would see to this woman himself.

Will brought his sword before him, the tip of the damascus steel blade biting into the dirt as the youth carved a line before him. It was a challenge. Wordless, Scarlett let his eyes do the talking. And they said but one word; fight.

Eric
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amamelina on Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:36 am

By the time Lady Vi's carriage made it to the palace, she knew two things. The first was her sob story and how to tell it. The second was that her body was warring between bone-jarring numbness and an ever aching pain from being bounced around the bloody carriage.

Exiting the carriage, she made sure that her pretty blue eyes were filled with tears and her flawless face was pulled in just the right way to show fear, but not make her look ugly. With a sob, she grabbed on to the nearest guard, nearly collapsing on the ground.

"Oh! Thank goodness I'm now safe," she said, looking up at him adoringly. "My carriage was attacked in Sherwood. My things were stolen by brigands! I was in fear for my life when the theives got so close to me."

She lowered her head, clutching on the poor man's tunic and sobbing. "Please, you have to help me. They took so much from me. I fear the worst. Even cleverly hiding my wealth in the guise of that rundown carriage did not sway them."

She continued to sob, as she felt was proper of a lady who had just been attacked. And, with her little twist on why her father would hire the cheapest carriage, her station should be secured. If anyone bothered to ever ask about her old fashioned clothes, well, she could always use that she had packed them to help trick the brigands. Too bad they hadn't taken those worthless clothes. Even handoffs from the wealthy ladies of the court would be better then her mother's old dresses.

"I am Lady Vivian Cooper," she said as she sniffled and looked pitifully frightened. "I was expected by His Majesty. Please, is it possible if I can collect myself in my room?"

Amamelina
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby tigerz-peace on Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:36 am

"Aye" said Cadfeal to both questions directed at him, reaching out and placing his left hand on the girl's shoulder, his right hand grasping the longbow. He lead her from the warmth and merriment of the camp and into the forest. No one ever took the same path for long, as it would lead to trail for the sheriff's men to follow right to the camp. The pair walked over the forest floor, bird song filling the air in the distance.Had Cadfeal been walking in the woods on his own, only rarely would the watchful Jays spot him and raise their harsh, rasping screeches to alert the forest to his passing.

Despite being blindfolded, with no idea what she was about to step on or trip over, the leading hand on her shoulder allowed her some comfort, knowing full well she would be safe till she was left on her own. She was one of the few Mariella trusted with ensuring her messages reached the Hood, though tonight was the first she had ever found herself in the woods. Annabel also knew that Mariella used one of the stable boys, but she was not sure of anyone else.

Mariella adjusted her dress, smoothing out the front as she stepped from the minor library she had been hiding herself in. Having left the king to his fuming, she had taken up place in the deserted library, though she wasn’t there for long. The booming shout of the King had echoed down the hall and past the slightly ajar door to her ears, and now, it was time to do what she did best. Listening in on her King’s meetings with their petite sheriff. Mariella couldn’t help but allow herself a small smile as her delicate steps led her down the corridor.
Just as she was about to step through the door that would lead her to the servants quarters directly behind the throne, whilst the way was clear, an elderly, straight backed and severe faced woman rounded the corner.
“I’m to remind you that you are to greet Lady Vivian Cooper, later this night or early next morn’.” No respect was shown to Mariella, she was simply told by the crisp servant, who disappeared immediately after. Scowling briefly, Mariella glanced about once more and opened the door a crack. The sheriff would be arriving soon, the guard had bolted quite quickly, as Mariella had seen from her window. But, once again, she was prevented from entering the sanctuary of the empty servants room by a guard rushing round the far corner heading in the opposite direction. Curiosity got the better of the young woman, and she called out after him.
“You there, what leads you to be in such a rush?”
The guard stumbled to a stop, turning on his heel and rushing towards her. His expression was somewhat troubled as he began speaking quickly.
“Apologies for my rudeness, m’lady, but the Kings guest has arrived. Lady Vivian Cooper, I’m under the impression you were to greet her in place of the King?”
“Yes, that is correct. Is she still outside?”
“Yes, and in quite a petty state. She is saying she was robbed, most like by…” The guards voice became hushed as he ended his sentence. “By Hood’s Merry Men, possibly Hood himself!”
“Oh dear. This is not good. His majesty will be furious. I cant allow him to learn of this just yet, or he’ll attempt burning the whole of Sherwood down.”
With a wave of hr hand Mariella dismissed the guard and strode down the corridor. Within minutes she was leaving the palace doors and stepping down towards the carriage and dishevelled woman, her head held high regally and her movements as elegant as possible.
“Lady Vivian?”
This is just bloody brilliant, Mariella.The thought rung out in Mariella's mind as she approached Vivian.
There's Something About...
Tamara Hale... And It Reeks Of

Revenge

tigerz-peace
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amamelina on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:44 am

"Lady Vivian?"

When Vi heard her name, she turned and felt stunned. She had been half hoping that some servant had come to take her to her room so she could make herself presentable. Instead, a very regal woman was walking her way.

Oh, this is just brilliant, Vi! What a first impression you must make.

She quickly smoothed out her out-dated dress and tried to straighten her hair. One delicate hand brushed away her tears. She would not allow the nobility to see her so ugly.

"I am Lady Vivivan Cooper," she said, dipping in a low curtsy. "Please, forgive my appearance, but I have had the most horrible evening."

From her humble position, her cold blue eyes glittered as she took in the other woman's appearance. Rich gems, deeply dyed clothes, hair that was expertly styled in the latest fashions and the finest perfumes wafting in the wind. This woman was all that Vi aspired to be. And, someday, Vi was sure she'd have it all.

Standing up again, she held her head high. Her first impression may have been a trembling girl, but she was going to prove that Lady Vivian Cooper was as regal as the woman in front of her.

Amamelina
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:35 pm

When Bill called back at Robyn to have the weapons lowered, something rare happened. Something few living in the world could boast that they had seen. The cheery green eyes that were usually hidden by the hood fixed upon Scarlet, and narrowed to absolutely fearsome slits. Her mouth, constantly grinning or smiling, set into a fierce, flat line. It was the closest thing to wrath that anyone ever saw on the Hood's face without soon after being killed in some unpleasant manner. And this unholy irritation was directed at Will.

"You do not give the orders in my camp, William," Robyn growled out in a tone that caused the men aiming at the intruder to wince. "Whether you want to fight this woman on your own or not, you will respect my commands. Or you will leave."

It might have seemed petty to snap at the youth for so simple seeming an infraction, but if there was ever to be any success or headway made for the Merry Men, then strong leadership was a must. And as rare as it was that someone attempted to work their way around Robyn's will, it was important that those who did were reminded of the law of the woods. All had to follow the same path, or the rebellion might as well have been a snake chewing on its own tail. And the Thief had a natural leadership quality to her that drew in followers like bears to honey. Still, some saw fit to try and issue orders of their own.

Turning her withering look away from the swordsman, Robyn fixed a much calmer look on the girl in the tree with her. "It seems my man down there wishes to fight with you. Unless you can think of a better alternative...it seems a good enough way to welcome you into our little group. But it also requires you moving down from the tree. Now would be preferable."

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eric on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:27 am

Will's gaze flicked up towards the Hood, anger blazing within those silvery orbs. The swordsman's hand tightened around the handle of his blade, the leather moaning ever so softly in protest. Rage seemed to burn within the youth's breast, the red-hot sense of rebellion screaming to the fore. Skilled as he was, the red-clad bandit's experience was untempered due to the haughtiness of youth. Seventeen summers denied Will the sense to add wisdom to pride and refused to allow the youth the vision to realize what damage his words had done. There, in front of the whole camp, he had just issued an order to the Great Hood -- their symbol, the figurehead of resistance. Softly, under his breath, Will cursed as the woman's voice brought to him to the realization of what he had done.

He wasn't such what he was more angry about now, that Robyn was right or that he now looked a fool. With a disgruntled sneer, Will realized that it was both.

Pride was difficult to swallow, but Will was a believer to the core. He was a soldier in this war and loyal to the bitter end. The youth's eyes softened, if only barely, as Scarlett's gaze lingered upon the Hood. "I... apologize, Hood." The youth spoke, his cheeks heating with the crimson hue of embarrassment. "You're right, it ain't my place." Those knuckles were white around the sword handle, every muscle tense. "It won't happen again." Will's rage was now directed at himself, Robyn and the stranger far removed from his wrath. He'd acted a fool and every man in the Hood's band had seen him do it.

Scarlett let Robyn finish talking with the stranger, saying nothing as his leader stated to the infiltrator just what her options were. Will only half listened, his brow creased and his mood darkened. Perhaps even more than before Will wanted to fight, a sense of shame gripping his core and refusing to release. For all his swagger and bravado, the man truly held the idea of what they were doing in his heart. He remembered his anger at Robyn running off and throwing herself into danger, the righteous nature of their cause threatened by her reckless abandon -- and yet, there he had gone and done more damage that the Hood had ever done. She was the symbol, and should she die, that symbol would live on as a martyr... and, although unintentionally, Will had challenged the authority that symbol possessed, threatening to weaken it's power...

Yes. Will definitely wanted to fight now. He wanted to drown himself, and his shame, in the heat of battle. He wanted to forget.

Eric
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LitomoSilver on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:57 pm

OOCly: Whao.

Been having trouble keeping a stable connection here. X_x; Umm... I'll try to get my posts up in the next couple days. My apologies for not informing you guys sooner. I've been in the process of packing things up and beginning the move. x_x

Thanks for your patience, and Jade... sorry about all this.
A Fallen Warrior am I, as I lay upon my back, knowing as I raise my eyes to the skies, as I lose the battle of my life, that I will never see again...those that I love. Blood and tears flow gently down my face as I await the final judgment...knowing that I am forever free, yet forever damned as I close my eyes and release my breath for the final time...

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain....It's time to toss the dice...Mat Cauthon-Robert Jordan...Wheel of Time series

"How do you prove that you exist? Maybe we don't exist..." - Vivi

"Having sworn fealty, must I spend my life in servitude?" - Steiner

"To be forgotten is worse than death." - Freya

"The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty." - Amarant.

LitomoSilver
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cass on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:31 am

Sound wasn’t the only sign of awareness in the forest. Amber knew this better perhaps than the two, or should she say three (Not including the other bowyers) that were in close proximity to her location. No ones movement could be kept entirely a secret. Things shifted, things moved with the flow of air a single hair could drift across a space, or a flower or foliage bit be brushed by someone’s passage. No, there were a million signs pointing to activity, each unique. And for her, that extrodinary sense of heightened sight, smell, touch, and that sixth sense of near premonition worked in conjunction with a lack of auditory semblances. The girl hadn’t been oblivious to the presence of others but now, that eagle eye took in the locations with care.

Amber’s eye drifted lazily towards the man on the floor beneath, her own countenance one of noncommittal blankness. He did seem to be in a tizzy, didn’t he? Anger and youthful indignation that poured off of him in waves made people lazy, they caused people to make mistakes. Full lips pursed together as options were weighed, periphrial vision cast to the Hood’s face and indication by movement of hand that they wanted her to get down. It was then that Hood’s face changed completely, Amber’s eye drifting back down for a moment. Upon her appraisal and the look of blood lust in the man’s eye, he had likely told his employer to bugger off, that’d he’d handle it with his male arrogance. By this time, Amberlynn was flat curious to see how the person next to her reacted. It would have been amusing if it didn’t have an almost death toll like emotion attached to it. The crimson pantalooned fellow had somehow offended, and by the words she could read upon the woman’s mouth and expression within her eyes, she’d been offered a pardon of sorts.

Amber was unafraid. The bowmen had recalled their weapons, yet hers was still taunt and focused, that hand never waivering once. Within the blink of an eye that hand found release, and Will Scarlet found himself with an arrow brushing past his ear so close that the feather at the end of it tickled. A slight smile hovered at the corners of her mouth, the arrow finding its mark in the side of a rather large swine that was rutting not thirty feet behind the lad in the brush. She’d seen it there earlier and by now, well, by now it was hopping mad and making a beeline for the only man it saw standing.

Amberlynn stood atop the branch, swinging her arm to hand the bow to Hood. Her cloak came off next, followed by an odd assortment of weapons that were tucked into every nook and cranny of the over garment. It was then that Amber turned to the woman and offered both a sheepish smile and a nod, that pig crashing through the branches in their direction and leaving a spray of leaf and dirt in its wake. It was hit and angry. It did not bode well for Will. Amber reached into her pocket, extracting another knife and turned to pull one from a strap at her backside. With another few moments the girl had pulled yet another from boot, and the vest sides until there were quite a collection of weapons laying in a neat pile on the branch. Lastly, the dark headed girl reached up to the top of head, pulling forth what looked like a long thin metal spike at the end of a corkscrew knob. It was a rather nasty weapon indeed, lain there along a couple of throwing weapons of various make. One couldn’t say she came ill equipped. There was too, of course, the sheath and sword that had been her father’s weapon. It was pressed into the hands of the woman with care, the look given saying more than any words she could have said. And with that, Amber lifted up a length of thin rope with a loop fashioned at the end and thickly bladed knife which were tucked between her teeth as she shoved off from the branch. Amber flipped in the air purely for dramatic purpose, reaching out in time to swing up onto a lower branch. Nimble fingers tied another loop into the corded length at the opposite end and the girl summed up both Will Scarlett and the pig. Of the two of them, the girl figured that the pig would be the bigger challenge. Will had to have known that she didn’t miss, the look in her eye would have said that much.

With a wink, Amberlynn threw herself down towards the ground at approximately the moment the injured, angry animal bore down upon poor Will. The knife wasn’t on her person to deal with Scarlett, it was to deal with the swine. And if he didn’t know it, he’d better figure it out soon because as much as he didn’t want to be on the business end of a pig, he certainly didn’t want to be on the business end of her blade.

Cass
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eric on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:09 am

Will made no movement as Amberlyn released her arrow, did not flinch as the shaft sliced through the air just passing by his head. He was already lost in himself. Those eyes seemed to burn a hole through Amberlyn's soul in the moments before she fired, as if Will were passing his judgment on the woman. As much hatred and anger that fueled Will's spirit and guided his actions, the man still refused to slay an innocent person, much less a potential ally for their cause. That said, Scarlett acknowledged this woman as a threat. She had skirted the camp's sentries and was most definitely heavily armed, Will noted, as the woman began to lay her weapons down. However, Scarlett wasn't able to continue watching the woman's actions as the high pitched screams and the thundering of earth echoed behind him. Will needed to move, and fast.

The youth glanced over his red-clad shoulder, silvery hues narrowing upon the rampaging beast. The woman's arrow had not passed through the animal's vitals, but rather found itself stuck in the pig's ribs. Will growled. The arrow would have passed clean through the animal had she meant for it do die -- no, she was using this swine as a weapon. Scarlett hated the waste of a good animal, much less making the beast suffer before it's end. It was a noble's nature to waste.

Scarlett planted his feet firm to the ground as the savage beast charged towards him, it's enraged screams piercing the night. Beneath the soft leather soles of his boots Will could feel the tremors of the animal's footfalls, shaking the very earth. The pig was large and cumbersome, but what it lacked for in agility it possessed in brute force. Will's only chance against an opponent -- a weapon -- such as this was to use his speed and dexterity in order to slip past it's indomitable power. Will glanced back momentarily as the woman leapt lightly to the ground, naught but a knife and a rope in her hands. Thoughts fell to the sword in his hands, the exquisite workmanship of the weapon glimmering in his hand. Despite his harsh and unforgiving nature and his outward brash and distasteful manner, Will possessed an inner iron code of honor. He would not battle his opponent with a superior weapon. Will was a great many things but he was not a cheat -- atleast, not when it came to battle.

The youth nodded his head towards the templar and then tossed the single-handed longsword towards the man, the tip whistling through the air before planting itself in the ground a foot before the knight's feet. "Ya' best take care a' that, mate," Will called to the templar, "Or I'll be comin' for you next!" With that, Scarlett's attention flashed back towards the swine, nearly upon his now. Quickly, wasting no further time, Will reached up and unclasped his red leather cloak. Inside, the garment bristled with steel, but the young swordsman made no attempt to grasp any of the blades hidden within. As the beast bore down upon him, Will began to laugh. The sound was both disturbing and mirthful, the laugh of a man totally unafraid of death. Had Amberlyn possessed the ability to hear than perhaps maybe, just maybe, she would have reconsidered this fight.

In the final moments of the beast's charge Will brought his arms forwards, the red cloak sweeping before the animal in an unintended flourish, the bright fabric shielding the pig's view as Will threw himself to the side. Will felt the sheer tenacity of the animal's breathtaking force pass by him, charging headlong into the openness of air. Landing upon one knee Scarlett unsheathed his sword-breaker, knowing that at any moment the strange woman would leapt down from on high. It was almost with an air of surprise that a laugh issued forth from his lips, eyes registering the sight of the woman riding atop the swine, her knife ready to dispatch the injured animal.

Good, atleast she knows to clean up after her own damn mess, Scarlett thought to himself.

The youth then stood, tossing his crimson hued cloak over onto a nearby branch. He would offer the woman the time she needed to finish her bloody task and when she was done, Will would be waiting for her, a cocksure yet somewhat calculating smirk etched upon his features. A silent joke echoed through the bandit's mind, the woman had slain one pig today, would she fetch herself another before the night was through? The youth cracked his neck and rolled his shoulders, We will see... we will see...

Eric
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cass on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:34 am

Unlike William Scarlett, Amberlynn cast no thought or true effort into being a formidable foe. She, after all, had very little to prove in the way of want or worth. The willowy woman landed upon the balls of her heels and to the trained eye, they would notice that very little about her was disturbed. Oh, she knew what she had done. There was no mistake to be made about that and from the look in Will’s eye, he knew as well. It wasn’t a missed shot, but rather a very purposeful one.

The animal rampaged in their general direction and that smile upon the corners of her mouth toyed there, not in a gesture of mocking but sheer satisfaction. The man had thought well, reacted properly given the circumstance. It was fairly apparent that this tempermental fellow boasted of an excitable nature, his head tipped back with laughter undoubtedly meant to intimidate. But Amber was not intimidated easily. Judging the distance of the pig with the confusion and speed that it moved at was a bit of a trick but nothing that the girl couldn’t handle. And yes, she did land astride the animal, sweeping one hand to rid the pair of the garment. That blade fell to hand as if it were part of it, a smooth movement executing death without further delay. It wasn’t good to leave an animal to riled up before the kill, the meat had a tendency to be too gamey and tough.

As the animal lost footing and tumbled in the brush, a small hand lengthened the loop and wrest it over two still kicking hooved feet. The opposing end of the rope was tossed up over a branch and Amber’s weight laid against it until the snout of the animal barely touched the ground. It was bleeding out, and would be fit for consumption at their will. Of course, if it were kept too long it would have to be put up higher in the trees, but it was good all the same. The offending knife found itself buried into the tree beside the pig, Amber turning to face the angry man with absolutely no weapons at hand and no true intention of fighting.

She was almost serene and unmoved by the flare of his nostril and the way his chest heaved in the air with agitation. Leaning against the tree, those grey green eyes merely observed and waited. If she were to be killed, it wouldn’t matter anyhow. It wasn’t as if there were many left who even knew she walked the earth in the first place. There was no need for her to be upset or ruffled at the thought of her own death. She had, after all, stumbled upon a camp that wasn’t meant to be found. Reaching over, a small hand grasped at the shaft of the arrow and pulled. It was this that Amber extended in the direction of William Scarlett, palm facing upward and open, that smile still playing on the soft corners of her mouth. The next move, was his.

Cass
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eric on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:10 pm

The scarlet-clad bandit watched with amusement and muted appreciation for the woman's skill as she quickly and efficiently dispatched the injured swine, her hands moving deftly and slicing her blade through the pig's throat in exactly the right spot. The animal would undoubtedly bleed out quickly, it's life blood spilling out onto the ground. The woman's knot work was good as well, Will noted, as the intruder went about securing the pig's thrashing legs. There was no doubt about it whatsoever, this woman was most assuredly skilled at what she did. She was a natural out here, on the raggedy edge, and it was that which concerned the youth. She was either a kindred spirit, or an overtly talented assassin. Will couldn't take the risk, so much as he hated fighting a woman. He needed to test her, needed to see if her heart was true.

Scarlett glanced over his shoulder at a pair of the camp's larger fighters, flashing the men a grin as he whistled for their attention. "You two, go an' hoist that pig up in the air, it'll bleed better that way," Will was sure that by the time the men reached the beast it would be dead, however, if the men wanted the meat to last longer it was better to bleed out the animal in it's entirety. "An' you," Will motioned towards another man, this one tall and lanky, "Go an' fetch a basin ta' collect the blood in, it'll make good for porridge." The taste of the morning meal would be utterly disgusting, but Will knew that such food would help strengthen the men. Scarlett then looked up towards Robyn, his eyes flaring slightly as he remembered her words. "... So long as the Hood don't mind."

The swordsman then turned his attentions back onto the woman, noting that she no longer carried any weapon in her hand save the lone arrow shaft. Inwardly, Will groaned. There would be no honor in fighting the woman without a weapon in her hand and nothing but absolute shame in laying a hand upon a woman. Will was not queasy in the slightest about running a female combatant through with his sword, but when it came to laying his fists upon one... well, that just wasn't right. This woman might no be an enemy, therefore did not deserve death, and Scarlett wasn't about to beat her like a drunken brute either. Softly, Will cursed. The woman was most definitely testing his limits, Will decided, seeing exactly how far she could push the man. By the Lord, if she was one of the King's assassins, she was good... She knew exactly which of Will's buttons to push.

"You shouldn't bring an arrow ta' a knife fight, lass," Will called towards the woman as he brandished his sword-breaker before him, "That's a sure way ta' find yaself six feet in tha' dirt." The red bandit's hand flashed and a moment later the sword-breaker thunked into a nearby tree, embedding itself a good few inches into the dense bark. "But I'll oblige ya' this one time, sweetheart, an' go easy on ya'." Will swallowed his anger and cloaked himself in cocksure words. It wouldn't do for him to be angry, such would no serve his cause. This woman was forcing him to think sideways, to expect what was the unexpected. For the moment she released her arrow at the beginning of this debacle, Will should have been dead. From the moment the woman had finished off the pig, she should have been armed. By showing herself to be a minor threat, she posed a much greater one. Will cracked his neck as he stepped forwards, Think. He reminded himself, Involve your surroundings, not your fists. Scarlett knew that most every man and woman whom saw him knew that Will was a direct person and as such would be a direct combatant, and in most cases, he was. Those tactics, however, would not work in this battle. Oh no, this woman was far to clever for that. She was a deadly spider, treading over her web.

All right... Will thought, here goes... And with that, the youth charged forwards, his fists at the ready as he belted out a battle cry. Will knew that it looked as though Scarlett was seeking to charge the woman, to tackle her to the ground. Hell, if Will was watching from the sidelines that's what he would have thought. His legs pumped, his muscles tensed. His silvery eyes remained fixed on his target, his fists were clenched. As he grew near, the man's right fist came back, readying a blow...

And at the last second, Will kicked his foot forwards, his boot coming up underneath a measure of fallen leaves and kicking them up into the air. Scarlett shifted his momentum, then, as the leaves rose up into the air all around the woman with her arrow shaft, falling down to one knee as he swept his outward foot up and around, the crimson-dyed boot rising up into the air in a sweeping strike aimed for the arrow shaft. Will hoped that he would send the arrow spiraling out of the woman's grasp, yet he held no qualms about snapping the projectile in half either, rendering the improvised melee weapon much less useful that it had been. Either way, despite the surprise change in tactics, Will knew that he was in the open here, kneeling mere feet before the woman. He needed to get out of the area and fast. Guerrilla tactics. Lightning strikes and rapid retreat. He'd come at her sideways, alright...

Without waiting to witness and register the effect of his strike, Will planted both feet to the ground in addition to his palms up over his head, and with the acrobatic grace of a cat he pushed upwards, propelling his body backwards in a reverse somersault landing upon his feet. Instantly, hands came up, the large guarding the man's central mass as the right reared up, ready to strike.

Eric
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:38 pm

Robyn watched with muted interest as Will and the stranger did their odd martial dance. The girl didn't belong to the king, Hood was certain of this by now. It could have been argued that stealth was being applied, and that the girl hadn't killed Robyn or any of the others by this point in order to worm her way into the ranks...but that simply wasn't the case this time. It had been attempted and halted before. Robyn simply knew, though she never told the men how, when a man or women was entering the camp with true ill intent. And that look, the glint in the eyes that gave away such things, had not been in the girl's eyes. Perhaps she was a thief among thieves, and simply hadn't known what she was stumbling into. Perhaps she had been ridiculously fortunate and managed to stumble upon the camp. But whatever the cause for the stranger's presence, it was not on the whim of the enemy.

And despite the mistrust in her judgment that she knew full well laid in Scarlet's - among other's - heart, she had every intention of extending an invitation of brotherhood to the girl. Though silent, Amberlynn had shown talent. And talent was always a welcome thing in a group of mix-and-match rebels.

Stifling a yawn and waving for a few men to take care of the dead pig, Robyn turned on her tree limb seat and allowed herself to drop to the next level. Climbing with all the speed and care of a lazy squirrel, Robyn was soon once more planted on the ground. She leaned against the trunk, nodding a greeting to Quinn.

"I imagine you're wondering if things are always this mad around here," She drawled, scratching her chin with the palm of her hand. "And in answering: we've had a slow month, actually. Welcome to Nottingham."

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cass on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:07 am

The lad just didn’t seem to be catching on to the fact that she really couldn’t hear. Or that she wouldn’t have been phased if she had heard him. Those eyes of green regarded him coolly, although in truth she was quicker than even he gave her credit for. That blade thunked into the tree much like hers had done. Amberlynn was clearly not impressed.

If she could have laughed outright, she probably would have. He was so… testosterone driven, so manish in his mental state and wanting very badly to strike the fear of god into her. The smile which played at the edges of her lips never left, a mirthful look entering her eyes as he began his attack. She would have sidestepped him no matter what he did. But it amused her that he kicked upward in what he figured would be a surprise move. That foot found itself to be catching air, her fingers twilling the arrow through each one as a small step found the rest of that lithe frame to be out of range. It wouldn’t do to waste a perfectly good arrow after all. The men in the trees would know that much. And then, he did a foofy little flip like an acrobatic monkey. Yes, by now she was definitely amused.

From the edges of her vision, the lass saw Hood descend from the tree. Amber in turn leaned against the tree, opening that palm to reveal the unbroken arrow. It was an archer’s offering of peace and loyalty. Maybe Will hadn’t realized that when she had offered it to him, but the hooded one would. Amber fixed her eyes upon the woman, scrutinizing what she said by reading her lips to the best of her ability. Welcome to Nottingham. A glance to Robyn and then to the man who stood puffed up like a rooster was given, those eyes returning to the one she offered her bow and skill to. It was impossible to completely hide the fact that she was half smiling, or that she found it funny, but damn it all she tried.

If they were to welcome her in, they’d find a soul who was meant to walk among them, that was to be sure. And they might find a few more critters for the stewpot to boot!

Cass
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:22 am

Robyn tilted her head as she was offered the arrow. She was well aware of what the gift signified, and found it a more pleasing offering than dropping to one's knees and begging forgiveness for any grievances. She was also well aware that it would put a regular bee in Bill's bonnet if his fight were interrupted, when he seemed to be enjoying himself so much. Well, that seemed like a better punishment for disobedience than mere words.

Lightly plucking the arrow from the hand that held it out, Robyn nodded and casually spun the weapon between her fingers. Her bright green eyes swept up and down the woman, once, and then she smiled and patted the younger woman on the head. "Alright. Name?"

This seemed simple enough a question. Perhaps she would actually get a response.

Over her shoulder, she waved at the men, signifying that the fight was officially over. There were a few awkward glances at Will by the men, but they hustled to get back to their regular duties.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!