Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Gold Coast (1980's Miami drug running) Interest Check

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Gold Coast (1980's Miami drug running) Interest Check

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Loxley on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:14 am

Miami, in the 1980's...

Cocaine, the white gold, is flowing in through secret channels from Colombian drug syndicates. The Coast Guard and police stand awestruck, unable to stop the wave of violence and drug-related crimes that sweep over the city. Criminals from all over the US come to Miami to find their fortune in this Mecca of Drugs. And on the other side of the coin is the life of hard partying, pastel-colored linen suits, fast speedboats and passionate 80's music.

At this time, a highly skilled and ruthless crew of career criminals and ex-military men arrive to Miami. The group is forged together by the unbreakable bonds of friendship. Their loyalty lies only with eachother. They are in Miami to make a fortune, and to live the good life, and none of them care how they make it. Drug running is the easiest path, and the one they choose. But to carve out their own fortune in the city, they have to fight over it with thousands of other criminals that live and work in the city towards the same goal.

The crew will mainly be working as drug runners between Miami and Cuba and/or Bahamas, from where they smuggle cocaine in speedboats. I'm sure you're all familiar with the awesomely awesome 80's cop show "Miami Vice". That's the general theme I'm aiming for here, with the full flash and style that was in that show - and somewhat, in the movie. But make no mistake; it takes place in the 80's, so you better not forget your pastel colours at home!

Miami is the main place that the crew will be working in, along with Havanna and Nassau on Bahamas. I only list a few locations in Miami, however. There will also be times when they will take a pit stop to, say, Colombia for example, for a night or two of business talks with the drug kingpins themselves. There are several locations that will be the centre of the story, which I'll list below later. Also, since this IS the 80's, we ARE drug runners, and we DO want people to know we live the high life, by all means do buy yourself a nice Art Deco villa on the Miami seaside...get yourself a Ferrari, a shiny gun, and lots, and LOTS of Armani linen suits. After all, this IS the 80's.

(And if you buy houses, if you feel like it, feel free to throw in a picture or two if you can dig any up. That'll liven up the RP a bit.) But you only have a limited amount of money when we start. There'll be more when you start your first runs of drugs, however.

The man the crew will be working for is Franz Sanchez. And yes, it's THE Franz Sanchez ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Sanchez )for those of you who know your James Bond. Mostly because I like his character so damn well, but, meh, also 'cause I can't come up with a better name. Well, to save me from copyright vampires, he's more like a clone of THE Franz Sanchez. A man who awards loyalty more than anything else. A man who controls everything between northern Alaska and Tierra del Fuego in Argentina. His base of operations is Panama City. This man is extremely powerful, and he is also extremely ruthless towards anyone who crosses him, or betrays his faith. Few of his employees would ever do that, however, as his men look up to him as their benefactor, their "patron", a feeling that is rewarded with affection from Sanchez.

Unfortunately, Sanchez' syndicate has enemies in the drug cartels of Medellín and Calí. All three are fighting over the power of Greater Miami, power that Sanchez has in his hand. So far the peace has been kept, but unrest is brewing, and there might be a war. Note that this is only a sort of "side"-plotline, and there is no overall plot in the RP. That's why Sanchez holds control over Miami, and the two cartels are trying to steal it from him, because if there is a war, it won't be a very long one.

The main point of the story is not to smuggle drugs. It's to experience the parties, the glamour, the high-life of Miami in the 1980's. You're there to have fun with your friends, not to do crime (that's just a means to get easy money), maybe even find love in one of the many men and women in Miami. (Meaning; please, we DO want both men and women to participate). This means, I'd prefer it if the story takes place just as much in nightclubs and private parties as it does on speedboats running drugs between Cuba and Miami, or in Franz Sanchez' villas in Colombia or Panama.

Locations in Miami:

The Den

Nickname for the warehouse in Miami harbor that the crew uses to house their fleet of speedboats, as well as the cocaine when they deliver it to Miami, before it is picked up by other members of Sanchez' crew. It functions sort of like the operational headquarters for the crew, and where they meet when it concerns work.

Villa Rojo

Villa Rojo is THE nightclub of Miami. It's an outside nightclub in Miami's harbor where only the wealthiest and most successful men and women of Miami are let in. The crew are permanent residents of the guest list in the nightclub, as one of them also owns the nightclub. (Need voluntary for this role. Bring your own character, of course.)

Casa Tua

The foremost restaurant in Miami. It's extremely expensive, and there's a "suit" requirement for anyone who want to eat there. It is required you book a table, and it's advised you do it at least two weeks in advance if you want one for an evening with the missus. Oddly enough, after they started working for Sanchez, the crew have had no trouble getting in to the restaurant without bokking a table. It's located in the harbor, like Villa Roja, so you can arrive by boat.

The Purple Dolphin (Hey, I didn't make up the name)

The Purple Dolphin is a high-class restaurant serving brunch and lunch. It's an expensive place, where many businessmen, as well as "businessmen", meet to conduct their business, or just to enjoy a good meal. A very expensive place to eat.

Casa de Havanna

Casa de Havanna is the nightclub of all Cubans in Miami. It's placed in the harbor just like many other nightclubs, so you can arrive by boat, and it serves the best damn mojitos in Miami, or so they say. But only the wealthiest of the wealthy can afford to party there. They're renowned for their pretty "exotic" dancers.

Miami-Dade Police Department

Hopefully none of you will have to visit that place. It's the police headquarters for Miami. There are many law-abiding police officers there, but also many corrupt ones. You may be one if you want to.

Rules:
x Don't get high on your own supply, (IRL or in game. ;) )
x No God-moding
x Keep any sex clean; use protection, use PM.
x Keep a level head with other players.
x Curses and the lot is allowed within reasonable levels
x Don't betray the crew. Their loyalty to eachother is as strong as the morals of the Miami Dade regulars...well, most of them anyway.
x No excessive violence. (Take note of bold text) We'll leave that to Sanchez and his thugs. That is to say, no torture, and no feeding the competition to the sharks. Just shoot 'em plain and simple.
x Enjoy your glamorous life as an 80's drug runner.
x Don't try any of this at home.
x No anachronisms (We're aiming for an 80's feel here, folks, so we don't want any items from the 90's or the 21st Century.)

Skeleton (Please, if you feel like it, do throw up a photo, and add anything else you feel like to the skeleton):

Name:
Appearance:
Role in the crew (boat pilot, airplane pilot, driver, goon, etc.):
Bio:

Weapon(s):

Roles to fill:

x Owner of Villa Rojo
x Police officers (Honest, AND corrupt ones. Voluntaries? Not necessary, though)

Also, if you feel like it, feel free to have your characters pick an extra job, as a singer, band member, mechanic, bartender, speedboat racer pilot, restaurant owner, heck, even a corrupt cop is welcome, whatever you feel like. And if you want to be a restaurant owner, let me know the name of the restaurant and find a neat photo, and I'll throw it up as one of the locations, or maybe replace one of the existing ones with it. But not too many of those, though - we can't have the whole crew being tied down as nightclub owners, or we won't have anyone left to smuggle the stash.

Note, again, I don't have any over-all story or plotline. I'll throw in a few kinks from time to time, but for the most part, let's just see where things take us. And I'd like your opinions and suggestions as well to make it better, as well as to help out to drive the story forward. And, hey, if you live in Miami, feel free to give me a kick if the story/city doesn't match reality, hahaha.

That'd be all. So, who's interested? 8)
Last edited by Loxley on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Loxley
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Re: Gold Coast (1980's Miami drug running) Interest Check

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FoxyRoxy on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:31 pm

Sounds so Miami Vice...lol but its does sound cool, I don't know if I have the time or not to join in or not, but maybe I have to check on other roleplays
"I will live in thy heart, die in thy lap, and be buried in thy eyes" Much Ado about Nothing Shakespeare

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

FoxyRoxy
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Loxley on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:03 pm

FoxyRoxy wrote:Sounds so Miami Vice...

But of course. :mrgreen: That's what inspired me to try and start this RP after all. Bwahahahaha.

I don't know if I have the time or not to join in or not, but maybe I have to check on other roleplays

I know what you mean. I'm participating in like 4 RPs here myself (not that that'll affect this, 'cause I can handle a lot of weight, mwahaha). But hey, if you feel like it, do join up. ;)

Edit.
My character, who will, when necessary, function as leader of the crew. (Take note, though that he's no dictator.)

Name: Nick Kane
Role in the crew: Leader

Appearance:

Bio:
Kane is a former lieutenant in the US Army Delta Force's Intelligence wing. After a scandal in the military involving embezzlement on high scale, which Kane was not involved with but tried to expose, his superiors used Kane as a scapegoat, and as a result, he was dishonorably discharged from the Army, barely escaping prison. Disillusioned and disappointed in his country, Kane began to work as a freelance mercenary in South America.

In due time, he was lured to Miami, the Gold Coast as it was nicknamed, and the promise of a fortune to be made on illegal drug running. His morals etched away during the court martial that left him unemployed, Kane decided to gather a crew of like-minded individuals and friends, and form his own "transport" operation under the drug kingpin Franz Sanchez.

Weapon: Colt Python .357 Magnum revolver, balisong knife

Edit 2: I'm uploading the profile of the guy the crew will be working for, in case there are (most likely) people who's never seen the Bond-movie in question, and don't know who he is. (You can also check out the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Sanchez ) Just so you know what kind of man is at the top of the syndicate you're working for.

Name: Franz Sanchez
Appearance:

Profession: International drug lord

Bio: Franz Sanchez is one of, if not THE most powerful drug lord in America. DEA has been trying to get to him for years, and failed each time. Specializing in cocane, Sanchez has almost monopoly on the cocaine trade in both the US and Latin America, a monopoly that is only threatened by the Medellín- and Calí cartels, though barely so, since Sanchez has an elaborate intelligence network at his side, as well as a private army of mercenaries working for him.

Sanchez is known as a man who rewards loyalty exceptionally well, himself having once said to one of his men: "You'd better understand something, amigo. Loyalty means more to me than money." His men look up to him with loyalty and respect, as he is their "patrón" and benefactor, and he holds affection for his men as well, as long as they remain loyal. However, if someone betrays his trust, or works against him, he deals with them with completely ruthless brutality. He is known to have fed more than one competitor in the drug world to the sharks.
Last edited by Loxley on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loxley
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PeerPressure on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:16 pm

I'd... have to say I'm definitely interested. Way-too-un-jaded college student ho? Probably a driver...

PeerPressure
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Loxley on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:18 pm

Sounds good to me. :D Welcome onboard!

(And no, I really don't have anything better to do than spend my time on RPGateway. Shucks to be unemployed. :mrgreen: )

Loxley
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PeerPressure on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:41 pm

Name: Madelynne Lintle ("Maddy")
Appearance:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t150/Moorchild/closeandpersonal.jpg Only 5 feet tall and generally spotted in a white-button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a white camisole underneath, as well as jeans and sandals. Has enough piercings in her ears to start her own triangle band.
Role in the crew: Driver
Bio:
College just wasn't the thing for the eccentric, cheery girl. In fact, neither were studies, as she found that her own talents did not particularly fall into booklearning. Despite her desire to be taught, her grades faltered, then fell and she found herself expelled after they dipped too low for the last time. Tossing her calculus book aside, she took up random odd jobs around the city until she found herself being recruited as a driver. Innocent-mannered and prone to droll comments, her pale-blonde-and-cute looks earned her a 'shill' standing.

Blissfully unaware of the benefits granted by her appearance, she works with more than a will, more of rabid determination usually attributed to pit bulls or children. Her entire female preparation process consists of eyemakeup, clothes, and running out the door while forgetting her shoes. Due to a complete inability to comprehend most bizarre female rituals, such as the 'did you steal my man!?' and 'oh, she is soooooo lame' congregations, she finds herself more in the company of her fellow drug-runners than girlfriends. Card games, anyone?
Edit: Also, please don't ask her to go tanning with you. The past eleventy-seven times she's tried, she's spent the rest of the day burnt red and in pain.

Weapon(s): A horrible shot, she usually avoids using her pistol. As it were, she carries one on her at all times, better at brandishing it threateningly at opportune times than actually firing it.

Just so you have an idea of who I'm joining with.

PeerPressure
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Loxley on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:52 pm

PeerPressure wrote:College just wasn't the thing for the eccentric, cheery girl.

So she took up drug running instead? :mrgreen: Man, I wish I had thought of that back when I flunked classes in college. ;)

Nice character! You're in! :D

Loxley
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PeerPressure on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:53 pm

Gleeeee. *happydance, then gets impatient waiting for it to start*

PeerPressure
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Loxley on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:06 pm

Hehe, yeah, me too. We need a few more players, though. Two people aren't a very formidable smuggling operation. :mrgreen:

Loxley
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PeerPressure on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:15 pm

... not really, no. :P
Time to play the waiting game!

PeerPressure
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saxious on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:28 am

EDITED (in purple)

Name: Chris Jensen
Alias: 'Mask' (as he leaves a mask behind every victim that he kills, as a signature)
Appearance:
Role in the crew: Assassin/"Trash Taker"
Extra job: makes sure that all information that his boss needs are given
Bio:
Originally from Denmark, this man is trained by the Danish SAS (in danish they call them for "Frø Mænd's Korpsed")and worked for them for 6 years and then he was also trained for the the Danish PED (Politiet's Efterforskning's Departmend), where he was send around to assassinate Hell's Angels members, immigrant gangs, and large drug trades. For 3 years he worked for the government, and for some unknown cause he suddenly disappeared from the surface of the Earth; he was declared dead after two years, and after nine months of his 'death' Chris returned to the world, but this time he wanted something else...he wanted to work for the criminals, to be one of them and to live the life of danger and wealth that they do.

He has settled somewhat in the life of Maimi and have gotten himself a girlfriend (the one in the back of the picture), and he has lied to her that he was working in an office, but he has shown her that he likes the "Life of the Night"

Home:
building
he lives on the third floor

Rooms:
living room:
bed room:
kitchen:

Car:

Weapon(s):
-Guns with silencers
-SMG with silencer
-bombs (e.g C4, and time bombs)
-butterfly knife
-strangling cord
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
~Buddha

Saxious
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Loxley on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:40 am

Looks good, man. :D You're in.

Loxley
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saxious on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:36 am

Sweet mate :D, now...this link (the-gold-coast-players-wanted-t20010.html) is that the IC or ar we still waiting for more to join?

by the way, i might as well inform you all now that i live in china, thus there will be a time difference for when I'm online, also feel free to PM me if you want something fixed/done, and we can discuss it

Saxious
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Loxley on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:40 am

Nah, that was just an attempt from me to get a few more players. :lol: So far we're just three, so we'll have to wait for at least another player to join before we can start. :D

And don't worry about the time difference. Everyone can just post when they've got the time, we don't have to rush the RP. :P

Edit: Also, I should add, just so that everyone who joins up is clear on it; the RP takes place in the 1980's, so no anachronisms, please. Meaning, no cell phones, no computers more advanced than that they can barely type out monochrone text, and the like. ;) If you're uncertain if something existed back then, just check http://wikipedia.com for the item, or ask here. It shouldn't be any problems, though.

Loxley
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hlanhalyer on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:58 am

Hey, I'll join up, may I be a "monkey" as they coined the weird sounding term. Get a metal man in and out and can sweep up stuff if needed. off to university though so i will post later.

Hlanhalyer
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Loxley on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:04 am

Hey, man. :D

I assume you're talking about someone who, for example, gets armed people inside a building prior to a hit, or a guy who cleans up afterwards? (Sorry, I ain't too familiar with the term "monkey". :lol: ) If so, sure you can. And even if you meant something else, you're welcome onboard. Just throw up a character, and you're good to go.

Though it's likely that all of our characters might have to do other jobs than their stated ones as well in the crew (such as piloting the speedboats when delivering dope for example) as second-jobs if we don't get more players who can take that kind of roles. But maybe more will join up once we start the RP.

Anyways, I'll throw up the IC-thread later, when I've seen Hlanhalyer's character. :)

Loxley
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FoxyRoxy on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:05 pm

Name: Sasha Lee
Appearance: Image
Role in the crew (boat pilot, airplane pilot, driver, goon, etc.): Owns the Villa Rojo

Bio: Sasha has lived in Miami all her life, her father is a lawyer and her mother is dead. She was a spoiled little girl always getting everything she wanted, until the day that her father told her to grow up. She did, making her own money by becoming a singer at the clubs. She struggled, but became successful after a record producer saw her one night. She returned to Miami and bought the Villa Rojo from the previous owner, it became what it is today because Sasha has turned an eye on some of the patrons that enter its doors. She works really hard to keep the club the best.

She keeps her opinion about drugs to herself, but truthfully she hates the idea of anything illegal in her club, even though people like the Crew are names on her guestlist.

Weapon(s): She carries a derringer in her purse for her protection only.

Car: Image Porsche

(its sort of short, but I couldn't resist)

FoxyRoxy
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Loxley on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:17 pm

Waow! I think I'm in love. :mrgreen:

And that of course, means, Welcome onboard!! :D

Edit:
Aaaaand it's up:

the-gold-coast-open-t20058.html

Still accepting people, of course. Just throw up a character profile if you haven't already, before you participate. :D

Loxley
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hlanhalyer on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:24 pm

Name: Theodore James
Appearance:
Minus the tacky tie and with no gold chains., and no hat.
Role in the crew (boat pilot, airplane pilot, driver, goon, etc.): Monkey Man See above description
Bio: A guy who looks much younger an innocent than he is, he grew up on the "wrong side of the tracks" and made friends with some of the members that way, he joined up looking for a fast way to get out of where he had been living. He excels in getting armed members where they need to be. He doesn't do any drugs and he rarely consumes alcohol. He is a decent driver, and can use the pistol he has pretty well.
Weapon:
Last edited by Hlanhalyer on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hlanhalyer
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PureInsanity on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:55 pm

Oh, Miami Vice style! Cery nice... That was my dad's favorite show, haha.
Let me know if I should change anything... =)

Name: Vivien Keys
Appearance: Standing five foot five, Vivien has a slender and appealing body. Though she is not the tallest, she has long legs and a nice bust that help her along with things if needed. She has long slightly wavy chocolate brunette hair and her eyes are a fierce green-grey. Vivien often wears fitting or tight clothing, such as black or dark blue jeans, an array of varying shirts from casual to formal depending on the event, and often wears a clean black leather jacket. Vivien also tends to wear more feminine clothing if she is going out, such as a simple sexy dress, and almost always has on her fire truck red lipstick.
Role in the crew: Intern (Doing whatever she can, basically)
Bio: Vivien Keys grew up a rather harsh life-style, in and out of her family from time to time. For a short time period, Vivien found herself lost in drugs, or spending a night or two in jail after a wild night out until she decided to make a life for herself and moved to Miami. Unidentified, unconnected and alone in the city, Vivien felt it was her chance for something big. Now Vivien tries to keep a low profile, scouring the area, people watching and finding ways to obtain money. Fortunately she was able to pick out some dealers here and there and somehow found herself in the mix of a crew. Her tasks varied from situation to situation, whether it was helping another member, or getting into the prestigious clubs and restaurants with her looks and ability to seduce and persuade.
On a more personal level, Vivien can be very secretive, though she will speak her mind if needed and is not afraid of bull shitting someone she doesn’t know to get her way. Always on her guard, Vivien is not trusting of anyone and is actually hoping to find some connections with in the crew, hoping that it benefit everyone.

Weapon(s): Always keeps a dagger of a blade on her person, usually somewhere along her leg, depending on the outfit, and likes to keep her black automatic 22 with her if she can.

PureInsanity
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!