Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Help! I don't know how to start a role play!

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:58 pm

In this guide you will learn how to use our forum to create your very own role play, and how to manage different things within the role play as a game master, and as a player. The very first thing we need to do is learn how to make a new topic inside the forum. I will be using the Fantasy role play forum as my example.

Each of our forums has a brief description about what is inside of them. Most, also, have sub forums for with more specific criteria to post under. Since we just want to post a fantasy role play we will click the link next to the image.

Once inside we will see a variety of topics and other places to go, this can be confusing to a new or inexperienced user. For now, just focus on making your own role play. Look for the New Topic button. It should look like this.

Click that button and it will bring you to the New Topic/New Post page. The first thing you will notice is the large letters that say Subject. This means title, the thing that people will see when they want to view your role play from the forum.

There are also small icons that you can select to gain some extra attention to your Subject or “Topic Title.” There are also ways to promote your role play on our main page, but you can click Find Out More… for more information on that.

Make sure your topic title is to the point and catchy, but not offensive. For our fantasy role play I will use the title “Caravans and Bandits!” You never want to use all caps, or !!!! and the likes, it makes most users not want to check out the role play.

The next thing we see is Tags. This is something I find extremely useful when trying to get new role players to join the role play.

You simply enter in a word that has to do with your role play, and follow it with a comma before entering a new word. So if this role play had to do with Dragons and Caravans and battle, I would use “Dragon, caravan, battle, attack, role, play” Not only that, when you are typing, the Suggestions box on the right gives you a list of things that have been used around our forum that you can scroll down and choose! This helps users search the site, and use search engines like Google; to find role plays that have to do with things they like.
The next thing we move to is the actual Post Information box.

This is where you actually post up your role plays information. This can be describing everything in your role play and introducing characters, whatever you want to start the role play with. You can see a list of buttons on top of it. Each of those buttons gives you some functionality to format your text and information, allowing you to place pictures and change your font size and color. That is something I suggest you tinker with; if you hover over them they will give you information about what they do. After you’ve put in what you think you want scroll down and look below the post information box.

That if you have a large red X it means you have a pretty short post, maybe you should add some more information about your role play. Once it is a green check mark, it means you’ve done pretty well. No matter what you have there I suggest you ALWAYS hit the preview button. It allows you to take a look at what your post would look like before you submit everything permanently. If you have to leave really fast, you can always hit the save button and come back to it later through your User Control Panel at the top of the website. Once you are ready, click submit and it will be added to the top of our list in the forum you posted it in.

One other thing I recommend to go along with your role play is an OOC (Out of Character) Discussion.

There you are able to make comments and answer questions about your role play. Posting a new topic in there is the exact same as posting a new role play. Better yet, if you aren’t sure people are interested in your role play, one tool you could use is our Interest Checks subforum. Post some information about your role play, and see who may want to join up!
With all of this in mind, good luck, and happy role playing!
Attachments
subject.png
(28.63 KiB) Downloaded 1668 times
ooc.png
(10.84 KiB) Downloaded 1674 times
forumsubmit.png
(30.33 KiB) Downloaded 1665 times
tags.png
(5.54 KiB) Downloaded 1668 times
postinfo.png
(111.86 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
newtop.png
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 1691 times
fant.png
(22.9 KiB) Downloaded 1767 times

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Vexar
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Re: Help! I don't know how to start a role play!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:33 am

Good post, Vexar, and one that will likely be very helpful for the new people. I'd like also to append my guide on how to make a good roleplaying game{Link - Click Me} for people to take a look at.

I know that often new roleplayers are unsure on what makes a good roleplay, but I feel that this guide will help answer a lot of questions people will have.
Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is... Again, tell me what life is.

Tiko says: Saladin: Damn it, leave my hole alone.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lonelyduchess on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:09 am

Um, the images won't open up in my computer. What should I do? v___v

Set Made By Me
K-ON Image Credit Goes To cartoongirl7 in DA

Trapped In The Past,
When Will It Last?

lonelyduchess
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LATEXlove on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:53 pm

O.o

LATEXlove
Member for 14 years
Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby brookesayshi on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:36 am

Yeah. Lol

brookesayshi
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LovelessVampire on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:59 pm

i havent made one myself in fear it might come out wrong but as long as you have a good plot and you dedicate yourself to it than it should be fine
"But first, on earth as vampire sent, Thy corse shall from its tomb be rent, Then ghastly haunt thy native place, And suck the blood of all thy race."

LovelessVampire
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Layton Round on Mon May 02, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks a bunch :3

Layton Round
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Taylor711 on Fri May 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks alot
Have you ever noticed that the word 'bed' actually looks like a bed?

Taylor711
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!