Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Looking for Mentor

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Looking for Mentor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby silverclawedmouse on Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:34 pm

Hello all,

So, I want to be a better Rper (which is why I’m here). I’ve contacted a couple of mentors, but they haven’t gotten back to me – granted, it has only been a week or so. Anyways, I was hoping someone, not necessarily a mentor, wouldn’t mind taking an hour or two a week to tutor me over PM. I go to school and I understand that people have lives, jobs, and learning stuff.

I am -okay- at role-playing. From a 1-10, Id say I’m somewhere between a 4 and a 6 (depending who I’m being compared to).

Some things I would like help on:
• I only can manage about 150 words if it is not an introduction post, and sometimes even that is a bit much. I would like to learn how to expand this without a whole bunch of useless fluff.
• Spelling and grammar are not my strong points. I do use Microsoft word to catch mistakes and reread my posts, but that isn’t 100%.
• Sometimes my sentences and paragraphs don’t flow right, or just don’t make sense. I would like help in fixing this.
• Lastly, many of my characters seem Mary Sue to me, but I’m not sure what to change so they aren’t so ‘amazing’, but are still entertaining.

I think that covers it. Please send me a PM if you’re interested in helping a fellow RPer out.

Thanks,
Mouse

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

silverclawedmouse
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Completionist

Re: Looking for Mentor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby spirit_is_shining on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:14 am

You know, I tend to have the same problem. I am in the same boat as you, I also need help with my writing. Good luck :) and I hope you get the help you are looking for.
ImageSong of the Day: FFXIII-2: Ruined Hometown http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpsgk7b3R3w
With love.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

spirit_is_shining
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:59 am

If you have PM'd a mentor or a few of them and they have not gotten back to you, send me a PM and I will try and help you find a mentor that will address your needs. Our mentor staff is here to help people who want to increase their ability to write and role-play.

Skall
The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse.
John Gardner

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:27 pm

I will be glad to help both of you. I am around most of the day and provided I get the IMs, I always respond.

YIM: xunderinkx

If for some reason I don't answer, you can have my direct email

underink@gmail.com

There's no excuse for not answering either of you back. I will help you both with whatever you need!
•civilization begins with order, grows with liberty and dies with chaos

My Roleplays
Without Absolution- a civilization on the brink of destruction

UnderINK
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby silverclawedmouse on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 am

UnderINK, my mentor did get back to me recently. Something happened with his/her inbox where s/he though s/he had replied, but s/he just realized that s/he didn't and sent me the reply.

silverclawedmouse
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Completionist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:35 pm

Well, that's spectacular. Skallagrim sent Marionette and I messages anyway, so if you find yourself needing additional help, let us know. :)

UnderINK
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!