Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Mentors want YOUR help to help you.

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Mentors want YOUR help to help you.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alias on Fri May 28, 2010 10:08 am

Dear RPG newbies, oldies, and in-the-middle-ies of all skill levels,

It has recently come to the attention of the mentors that we have been... less than present, less than involved, and thusly, less than successful at whatever it is that our mission is. Which should be to improve the writing par of the community. So, some of the mentors have stormed mass PMs to our group, trying to rally some action, and rightly so. After all, if we aren't active, then we aren't helping.

So, rather than trying to brainstorm an ideal solution to the problem, I figured that I might start by asking you, the community at large (or at the least, that slice that visits the RPA and takes notice of this thread), what you would like us to do. I assure you that we are, en masse, competent enough to produce anything within reason.

So the question stands: how do you want us to help? Do you want...
So. Community. What do you think? What appeals to you (in the sense that it would both be fun, and you would learn from it)? Now that the summer months are upon us when school kids are out of school and college kids are out of college, there should be an influx of new members and a resurgence of mentorship enabling something or other to happen.

Voice your wants, needs, observations, critiques, etc, and help make that something happen. :D

(P.S. Mentors are as welcome to post suggestions as newbies. Please remember, this is simply to toss in ideas, not to argue for some and shoot others down. Happy posting!)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Alias
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Re: Mentors want YOUR help to help you.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aliath on Sat May 29, 2010 7:37 am

There are two different schools of role-playing, both omnipresent on these forums.

First, you've got the people trying to play Dungeons & Dragons-- the story there focuses somewhat more on action and characters have those dreaded 'stats.'

Then you've got those who try to write a story that can hold itself together. I belong to this group.

You might want to try tending to both groups accordingly, by writing 'similar' guides to suit both kinds of role-players. I clicked on 'Magic for Beginners' expecting a guide about how to create something original, and that made some kind of sense, that I could implement in a story to give life to my fantasy setting. Instead, I found something a little more constraining-- though I expect it appeals to the D&D folks.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aliath
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rilla on Sun May 30, 2010 12:06 pm

Perhaps find out what they REALLY want to Rp.

Like some want to RP RL scenarios, and some may want a Sci-Fi setting.

So why not find out what they want, and then set up roleplays situated around that, one RP for Fantasy, one for Sci-Fi, one for Dystopian, etc., etc.

And let them RP in that, whilst learning the appropriate way things would work, in say a Heavy Sci-Fi, or Nation RP.

It'd probably decrease the work load of the Mentors, by not having them have to remember who wants to learn what; as well as mixing lessons for a (Example) Sci-Fi practicioner, by making him/her learn that, as well as having to go through learning Fantasy as well, because of the mixture of classes and such.

Rilla
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ris on Sun May 30, 2010 12:13 pm

Being in "The Noob Pool" my opinion may be a little biased, seeing as I've had first-hand experience with this method, but my vote goes to more mock roleplays nonetheless. I think that roleplaying is the best way to learn how to roleplay. Along with that, I think that mentors should be watching the newbies' (and oldies' and in-the-middle-ies') progress and then, through a private message, inform them of what they could do to better themselves.

Ris
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:24 am

The big thing about these is that there has to be member initiative to throw their selves up for all eyes to see how they suck at roleplaying.

Now actually I don't really mean literally suck at roleplaying, however posting your insecurities marks people as dependant and vulnerable. Admitting you have a hard time doing something can be hard. You know how basic sociology works, especially concerning the average age groups over here. People are hard-pressed to bare their selves to complete strangers, and in many guys'' cases even to friends.

Now, from a total newcomer's point of view, a bold username with a pretty colour works mighty intimidating. I don't really know much about any of you guys outside of the threads in this section, aside some 'search user's posts' and I think Alias' articles and opinions are pretty widespread over teh interwebz. So maybe make a thread introducing your selves as human beings, like what do you do in the real world? Add some tiny tidbits like you're afraid of spiders or something. Your own strengths and weaknesses in writing. I know that this often helps moderators to mix with a little shy members for one. So it might work here too.

Other than that... I dunno. Encourage more people to ask for help. It is a social thing, the 'if everyone does it mentality, if you please'. I think I could make a topic myself to get a ball rolling for that...

I tend to like the academy-approach, but to be fair it costs more time and effort than I would personally ever want to put in. And many students just bail on it. There's prolly plentiful reasons why you guys quit it back in the good ol' days too. I really like the idea, don't get me wrong, it is just not always very practical.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:13 pm

I rather like the "make a post, here's your answer" personal approach, myself. It's like opening a ticket when getting online support. Introductions are made, then discussion of the problem occurs, then there is some troubleshooting to see exactly what and where the problem is, then a solution is most times found.

I mean, why go through an entire roleplaying experience, trying to learn when you can just outright ask your question and hopefully have it answered. I think the problem lies, not in people being afraid to ask for help, but not receiving adequate help, and getting unsure solutions to their difficulties. That or they get this extremely long answer which is far beyond their comprehension, yet they are too embarrassed that they can't understand it to say so.

I believe mentors should continue on making their periodical articles when they see the need arise for that topic, being active in the community to provide themselves as a roleplayer with writing skills that another member would want to achieve, and answering questions or help requests to their best ability while remaining coherent and simple to the person who requested it.
(16:12:43) Prose says: Izzy does anything she can get her hands on.
(16:12:54) Namaru says: My god Xorn and Prose you guys totally did a bunch of crazy things, I'm sure
(16:12:54) Prose says: Coke, meth, heroine, crack, pot.
(16:13:06) Prose says: Oh that was really bad timing.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alias on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:35 pm

I have been pulling bits and pieces from both my own experience and from your comments as to the pros and cons of each system, and compiling all of that into a resource for the mentors. We will likely be consulting that list of pros and cons as new mentoring projects are undertaken, so that your input will have helped us attempt to avoid or solve potential problems.

Please continue adding input - it will continue helping us to better help you!

Alias
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:29 pm

Honestly? Just GM more, be more active. I know I'd be a hell of a lot more active if I could find good RP's run by skilled RPers, RP's that I could trust to maintain quality, because I could trust the GM to assure that it did.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Yes, I would love to actually see more mentors teaching people how to be better GM's. I see so many potential RPs out there but they are run poorly. It makes me depressed.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:11 pm

Gabriel_Whist wrote:Honestly? Just GM more, be more active. I know I'd be a hell of a lot more active if I could find good RP's run by skilled RPers, RP's that I could trust to maintain quality, because I could trust the GM to assure that it did.

Hi. Hello there. I run those sorts of roleplays. That doesn't attract any more activity than a shitty GM, unfortunately, because people (as is listed in my pet peeves of roleplayers) are very closed minded about plots. I'm working on one that's currently posted in my signature. We'll see how a proper GM can attract attention or not, I suppose.

However, I agree with your suggestion. I do wish more people would ask for help with GMing; that's more or less my expertise.
•civilization begins with order, grows with liberty and dies with chaos

My Roleplays
Without Absolution- a civilization on the brink of destruction

UnderINK
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dragon_Pirate on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:17 pm

I would love for someone to teach me to be a better GM. I'm actually not very good at it at all. I've tried and still haven't given up but help would be much appreciated.
I claim you as my lifemate.
I belong to you.
I offer my life for you.
I give to you my protection, my allegiance, my heart, my soul, and my body.
I take into my keeping the same that is yours.
Your life, happiness, and welfare will be cherished and placed above my own for all time.
You are my lifemate, bound to me for all eternity and always in my care.
~Carpathian Binding Ritual

Dragon_Pirate
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gaiadarkstar on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:14 pm

I have actually never been a gm officially until now. I always wanted to and was too overwhelmed to try. I did a few short adventures on regular role play- play by post sites like the original "Mystic Tavern" but was always turned off by the lack of real role players. All anyone seemed interested in is using the forum as a kind of virtual dating/sex online site and not for actual story roleplaying. I found a couple people but they rarely stayed on long enough to finish an adventure. Sorry if I seem to be rambling but these types of things seem to be a trend. I was very happy to find this site and finally see people that really wanted to rp and so started my own adventure. I had before a general idea about what I wanted to happen but I was so vague before this that any time I rped we would just wander around and occasionally kill things. This time I came up with an outline an all encompassing goal with smaller goals and even smaller "scenes" that would make my rp more structured yet still open to the players to add their own flavor. I know I am a beginner though and would love any constructive critiscism on my posts, rp, or anything else. I don't know the best way but role playing with someone more experienced to tell me how I could improve this or that has always helped me. Also I am going through as many of the posts here as I can. I think that no matter how long you have played and how advanced you feel you are you can always improve and learn and in teaching you also learn so it helps both parties improve. I hope I didn't go on too much about me and my opinion and not really say anything important but I appreciate that the people on this site really seem to care about rp and the people who rp. So thanks.
Worlds without end visualised, sketched, and written. From my mind and imagination to yours.

gaiadarkstar
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alias on Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:52 pm

The recent concerns over GMing have gotten me thinking, and two days ago I took an inventory of what I find works (and does not work) when I GM. I've written my success story - and why I do the things I do - in good-practices-play-post-roleplays-t43822.html for your perusal. Please feel free to continue the GMing discussion there! Let me know what you think makes a GM good (from the player side) and what make them bad, as well as what you find difficult to do when you yourself GM.

Let's return this topic to throwing out ideas on what more Mentors and can should do for you tho ;)

Alias
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!