Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat β€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Posing as a terrorist.

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Posing as a terrorist.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:04 pm

Just thought I'd post this picture up on here and see what reactions I got from the crowd.

http://www.smm.org/buzz/postoffice/card ... 8d79504075

So, I'm at the sciencew museum on a field trip yesterday and we're infront of the photobooth and my friend Juan is like "Dude, you look like a middle easterner." Me: DUDE, I COULD POSE AS A TERRORIST!

So Juan wraps my hoody around my head and wah-lah. I look like a full fledged terrorist and what makes it so much better is that so far no one has disagreed that I in fact DO LOOK LIKE A TERRORIST!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Alucroas
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Posing as a terrorist.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sesha on Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:41 pm

HAHA! OMG you really do look like a terrorist. Wow that's funny. That made my day!
http://www.roleplaygateway.com/sesha-t22117.html <--- My character profiles
Follow the populace and you will be popular.
Follow your mind and you will be purposeful.
Follow your heart and you will live.
-Vigilante

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

sesha
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HorusTheHeretic on Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:09 pm

Jesus, I thought you were exaggerating! That was funny.
"It used to be that our elected officials were veterans of World War II, Vietnam, or the Civil Rights Movement. But with the election of Jesse Ventura in Minnesota and Arnold Schwarzenegger in California, I foresee a day when all our leaders will come from the movie Predator. Think about it. Governor Carl Weathers. No wait: Senator Predator. I bet he has some pretty interesting things to say about tort reform."
- Stephen Colbert

HorusTheHeretic
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aeleon on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:38 pm

Dear Oni-Link,

I didn't find that very funny at all.

Signed,
Aeleon.
As you recall, you know I love to show off,
But you never thought that I would take it this far.
What do you know?

Fancy a Butcher's?

aeleon
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smokescreen on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:06 pm

Gems such as that make me smile and frown in a dichotomy wrought from their very absurdity. You could pass as β€œTerrorist” if by that you mean all Arabs are terrorists. Broadly sweeping generalizations like that is why America is looked down upon by other countries. Rampant bigotry should never be made light of, if the ACLU teaches us nothing, its that ethnic caricatures are not funny, nor should they be pointed out. For Shame.

PS.

OMG! You so look like a Terrorist! I like, did not think so, but like, I saw you wrote β€œDeath to America” and like that’s what terrorists say! LMAO!!!111

Smokescreen
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:40 am

Smokescreen wrote:Gems such as that make me smile and frown in a dichotomy wrought from their very absurdity. You could pass as β€œTerrorist” if by that you mean all Arabs are terrorists. Broadly sweeping generalizations like that is why America is looked down upon by other countries. Rampant bigotry should never be made light of, if the ACLU teaches us nothing, its that ethnic caricatures are not funny, nor should they be pointed out. For Shame.

PS.

OMG! You so look like a Terrorist! I like, did not think so, but like, I saw you wrote β€œDeath to America” and like that’s what terrorists say! LMAO!!!111

Lighten up, dude. :roll:

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MetusOccultus on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:52 am

-Wolf
Rin, kyo, toh, sha, kai, jin, retsu, zai, zen.

MetusOccultus
GWC Veteran
Member for 17 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:01 pm

I am with aeleon. I don't think it's funny at all, personally.
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smokescreen on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:53 pm

Village Alchemist wrote:Lighten up, dude. :roll:

Lighten up indeed! In today’s society everything that we do is highly scrutinized. Maybe a thousand years ago some kid from Tulsa Oklahoma or where ever and his social commentary could be viewed, but not nowadays. Stunts like that could cause orange alerts and black uniformed federal agents to repel down into your homes from blackhawks. You think bigotry and ethnic generalities are acceptable now!? Is this the 1950’s and the civil rights movement is known as β€œtrouble ahead”? My god man, think of the children and the shame at their kindergarten teacher telling them to sit β€œIndian style”. Miss Jeffries might have a firm grasp on where the wild things are and simple addition however implying to a five year old that they should grab a whiskey bottle and lay down on a curb, or whatever the hell β€œIndian style” means, is appalling.

Smokescreen
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sesha on Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:55 pm

Smokescreen, you sure say a lot to explain a little I've realized :)

sesha
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smokescreen on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:07 pm

All part of my mystique and devilish charm.

Smokescreen
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aeleon on Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:51 pm

I'm hooked.

And that still wasn't funny.

signed,
aeleon.

aeleon
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:55 am

Personally, you're taking a joke seriously and I have to say it's rather sad that you're getting riled up by something we say every single day in society, done by comedians, we see skits about terrorists. So why are you bitching about it now?

You think America doesn't get made fun of constantly? I doubt it's just because of our natural tendency to make absurd jokes about other cultures, just like they do about others, so honestly it's not that big of a deal.

It's just pure fun. If every person who laughed at a stereotypical joke got arrested, over half the world's population would be doing life.

If you (You referring to anyone who thinks I'm an insensitive prick for posting this.)really thought doing things like this was so horrible, then you probably would've made a topic like this a long time ago, and I'm sure others have already proceeded to do so.

If you watch South Park, which I wouldn't be surprised if you did, then you're definitely in no position to be commenting on the morality of a terrorist picture.

Anyway, since i have very little time on my hands, I'll have to edit this post later on today or simply post another if not given the chance.

Alucroas
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:42 am

If you watch South Park more closely, you realize they're making fun of the people who generalize like that.

And speaking of not taking jokes too seriously, what if I were to call you a moron in jest? 0=)
STAVE: Commala-come-ki,
There's a time to live and one to die.
With your back against the final wall
Ya gotta let the bullets fly.

RESPONSE: Commala-come-ki!
Let the bullets fly!
Don't 'ee mourn for me, my lads
When it comes my day to die.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:44 am

First of all, I'm not riled up. I just didn't think it was funny. It's not a joke I would find in terribly bad taste, nor really good taste. I choose not to watch comedians when they discuss things like this. It's just a personal choice. I'm not bitching.

I know America gets made fun of a lot. That doesn't mean we have to do it to them. I don't think anyone should be arrested for making stereotypical jokes. We have the freedom in America to make them. I personally think people who get offended by these jokes should just turn away instead of complaining, because most of the time, it solves nothing...just turns into a bitchfest.

I don't think you're an insensitive prick for posting this. I just think you wanted to post something you thought was funny, which is your right.

So yeah. =) There's my 2 more cents. =)

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aeleon on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:20 pm

Why start that sentence with 'personally'? Does that mean you think the idea that I'm taking the joke seriously is your opinion? Well, I'm not taking the joke seriously. I'm not offended by the joke, but I'm offended by your double standard.
Just because you see it every day doesn't make it right, have you not figured that out? Don't think that you're special enough to be the only one dignified enough to earn my displeasure, everyone who relates Muslims to terrorists blindly can do that. That includes any sort of media & even friends of mine. Sometimes they can sneak by when they're artfully done, and commenting more about terrorism than about Muslims, but you made no effort to be tactful.

I'm an american who currently goes to school in England, and you're trying to tell me that America doesn't get made fun of as if it's news? Truth is that anyone who watches the news or reads the newspaper could have figured that out, but I don't know what that has to do with calling people murderers because of a religion they practice.

What nonsense are you talking about? Your joke wasn't a joke about stereotypes. Your joke was an outright accusation based on stereotypes. You wanna think about just how insensitive you were? Not every turban-ed, facial-hair-ed, tan male is a Muslim, let alone a terrorist. It's like if I were to write "Stupid" on my forehead and go "Oh hurr hurr I'm Oni-Link". Perhaps appropriate for you, but not every idiot is oni-link, and not everyone named oni-link, i hope, is an idiot.
I think I would've even been ok with you noticing that you looked middle-eastern with your facial hair, but the fact that you used your sweatshirt to imitate something you have no clue about and then proceeded to peg murders on those people (who, might i add, you know nothing about) makes you not even insensitive, just dumb.

Yeah, as previously said, South Park actually plays on the assumptions of the average American, which are so absurd it's funny.

aeleon
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smokescreen on Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:50 pm

For shame! Because unfunny comedy shows make generalizations therefore by proxy you are unfunny and wack. To be frank modern comedy sucks and has not been funny since Vaudeville (wiki that cretins). American comedy sucks because it caters to heels and churls. If you find Southpark, Jackass, etc. amusing you are far more stupid than the British rags portray. Say lets make some generalizations about Americans. Oh hell, let’s see...um...drinking bathtub gin in a manufactured home with seven kids by different fathers and a shiny degree in criminal justice from a junior college in the parking lot shared by a Snip N Clip. ROFL!!!! WOW WHAT BITING COMEDY!!!! SWEET CRACKERS!!!! No, I’m sorry stereotypes are not funny and if there are those that think they are well, have fun on the short bus, window licker.

Smokescreen
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:48 am

Why start that sentence with 'personally'? Does that mean you think the idea that I'm taking the joke seriously is your opinion? Well, I'm not taking the joke seriously. I'm not offended by the joke, but I'm offended by your double standard.
Just because you see it every day doesn't make it right, have you not figured that out? Don't think that you're special enough to be the only one dignified enough to earn my displeasure, everyone who relates Muslims to terrorists blindly can do that. That includes any sort of media & even friends of mine. Sometimes they can sneak by when they're artfully done, and commenting more about terrorism than about Muslims, but you made no effort to be tactful.

The reason I start my sentence with 'personally' is because it's my personal opinion. Now where is my double standard? I don't mind people making fun of Americans because there's a lot to make fun of, just like how there's other countries around the world to make fun of various others as well. If you're going to get so pissy about the topic, then do something about it, and I honestly could care less because flinging jokes at one another in my personal opinion is fun. It's their life, not my own. What right do I have to dictate their lifestyle? None.

It's fairly obvious that you think it's alright to do it as long as it lives up to your own moral standards which doesn't prove anything, considering everyone has their own standards in particular. Attempting to put yourself on a higher level than me by doing that is just as disrespectful as insulting the Muslim religion. Why? Because it's a belief, an idea, a way of thinking. You attempt to shove your ideas down my throat which isn't very nice. :/ Good job imitating the ideas of a terrorist.

Do I think it's right to make fun of another culture just because they make fun of our own? Not really, everything I do is purely joking, and I can make fun of other people's religions directly because they don't care and do the same to me and if they did care then I wouldn't do it to them, but since we're all having fun and have the maturity not to lose our tempers over it, then I don't see any form of harm? I do things based on the atmosphere that I'm presented with, and if I don't know what the reaction'll be I'll either test the water or ask an administrator if it's alright, first by sending them a PM.

I'm sure all the innocent Muslims out there would just hate it if we started making fun of the people who they all share a strong loathing for, as well as fear of.

I'm an american who currently goes to school in England, and you're trying to tell me that America doesn't get made fun of as if it's news? Truth is that anyone who watches the news or reads the newspaper could have figured that out, but I don't know what that has to do with calling people murderers because of a religion they practice.

I just want to see where I directly said that all Muslims were terrorists or that any religion consisted entirely of terrorists for that matter.

What nonsense are you talking about? Your joke wasn't a joke about stereotypes. Your joke was an outright accusation based on stereotypes. You wanna think about just how insensitive you were? Not every turban-ed, facial-hair-ed, tan male is a Muslim, let alone a terrorist. It's like if I were to write "Stupid" on my forehead and go "Oh hurr hurr I'm Oni-Link". Perhaps appropriate for you, but not every idiot is oni-link, and not everyone named oni-link, i hope, is an idiot.

I made a joke based on terrorists, and just because they look like your every day Muslim citizen doesn't mean it's an attempt at making fun of Muslims. Why? I simply went based on the best description of a terrorist I could come up with at the moment. I don't think all Muslims are terrorists, because I know plenty of them who aren't and there's a little thing called individuality which I happen to believe in, and it's also why I try not to make presumptions about certain groups of people.

If you watch South Park more closely, you realize they're making fun of the people who generalize like that.

And speaking of not taking jokes too seriously, what if I were to call you a moron in jest? 0=)

When it's obvious that I clearly have a very high level of distaste for you, and we both know it, then common sense would tell you not to do it at all based on experience. Maybe if you took the time to look at the flamewars thread about me which you started, you may not have asked that question.

And I don't really believe that Southpark does a good job at making fun of the people who think stereotypes are funny due to the incredible rise it gets out of people and I'm sure there are others who realize that they do so, but so far I haven't seen enough about that in specific to really confirm whether or not they are in fact, doing a good job at it, and while I do make fun of certain stereotypes I usually don't delve into what I find to be on a much more personal level unless I'm sure the person is okay with it. Then again it may just be because I've never really been a South Park fan at all. However I do not consider South Park very moral, considering the extremely offensive episodes the show has produced and has even had to cancel airings of a few episodes based on the level of offensiveness.
-------------------------------------------------------------

My apologies to Angel_Melfina for (possibly) including her with anyone I thought may have been a jackass.

Anyways, if there's anything I missed, point it out.

-------------------------------------------------------

By the way here's a reaction from a Muslim on another website.

http://mgsforums.com/index.php?showtopic=15106&st=1040

Alucroas
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aeleon on Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:34 pm

Oni-Link wrote:The reason I start my sentence with 'personally' is because it's my personal opinion. Now where is my double standard? I don't mind people making fun of Americans because there's a lot to make fun of, just like how there's other countries around the world to make fun of various others as well. If you're going to get so pissy about the topic, then do something about it, and I honestly could care less because flinging jokes at one another in my personal opinion is fun. It's their life, not my own. What right do I have to dictate their lifestyle? None.

I'm not talking about you dictating anyone's lifestyle. I'm talking about you making assumptions about cultures you never bothered to look up or understand. You'll have to tell me that you read about Muslim culture, tell me that you know something about its religion, and tell me you know about the current political situation like the back of your hand before I'll think it's alright for you to make a statement like the one you did in that photograph.

It's fairly obvious that you think it's alright to do it as long as it lives up to your own moral standards which doesn't prove anything, considering everyone has their own standards in particular. Attempting to put yourself on a higher level than me by doing that is just as disrespectful as insulting the Muslim religion. Why? Because it's a belief, an idea, a way of thinking. You attempt to shove your ideas down my throat which isn't very nice. :/ Good job imitating the ideas of a terrorist.

I will admit, you have no obligation to follow my ethics, and you don't follow it. But it was you who added 'morality' to this conversation, where I had left it out. I don't think this is some moral crusade I'm in, I just think it makes no sense for you to make assumptions about something you know nothing about. That has nothing to do with morality, that has to do with common sense. There's a higher chance you're doing something wrong if you talk about shit you don't know.

This is a forum, I can't do any shoving, and I think I'm communicating rather civily. You're not a victim, in fact, so your defensive insults are not very grounded.

Do I think it's right to make fun of another culture just because they make fun of our own? Not really, everything I do is purely joking, and I can make fun of other people's religions directly because they don't care and do the same to me and if they did care then I wouldn't do it to them, but since we're all having fun and have the maturity not to lose our tempers over it, then I don't see any form of harm? I do things based on the atmosphere that I'm presented with, and if I don't know what the reaction'll be I'll either test the water or ask an administrator if it's alright, first by sending them a PM.

I'm sure all the innocent Muslims out there would just hate it if we started making fun of the people who they all share a strong loathing for, as well as fear of.

Not everyone "doesn't care" and "would do the same to you". I cared, and this is my reaction to it. First off, how can you say you recognize individuality and all that and then give me a broad statement like that? And second off, really, how can you consider making faces at a camera and threatening a country mature? In my opinion, it isn't. There is harm; this is a harmful stereotype. You more than likely would've gotten fucked up if you did this on the street, or in a mall, or at the airport, and that means what you did is much more than 'a joke'.

You know what? I can't speak for others, but I know I don't hate or fear anyone. I'm not fighting anyone's case but my own in this topic, but I don't find joy in talking about things I don't know or hearing others talk about things they don't know. For me, I would've gotten just as peeved if you had made fun of any other cultural group if, as in here, you didn't know a thing about it save for what the media has told you.

I just want to see where I directly said that all Muslims were terrorists or that any religion consisted entirely of terrorists for that matter.

When you artfully wrapped your sweater around your head and someone said "you look Muslim", your reaction was to imitate a terrorist. Enough said. In fact, i don't think you would've been able to get out of making the generalization unless you somehow managed to subtitle "DEATH TO AMERICA," with "signed by not-all-of-the-muslims,-just-the-terrorists". But that would've killed your joke, wouldn't it have?

I made a joke based on terrorists, and just because they look like your every day Muslim citizen doesn't mean it's an attempt at making fun of Muslims. Why? I simply went based on the best description of a terrorist I could come up with at the moment. I don't think all Muslims are terrorists, because I know plenty of them who aren't and there's a little thing called individuality which I happen to believe in, and it's also why I try not to make presumptions about certain groups of people.

3 things. 1: In fact, not all Muslims look and dress like your beautiful rendition dictates. Both innocent Muslim men and women and the few known Muslim terrorists do/did not wear any sort of head apparel, and basically lead day to day lives like we do. It's how the two alleged pilots on 9-11 got by going to flight school and working at a major airlines, because if they were dressed like you were, they probably wouldn't've gotten anywhere.
2: Not all Muslims are terrorists. The word 'terrorist' was used to describe people before anyone Muslim made even an insinuation to attack the United States.
3: You must try not to, but you do make presumptions, and the photo up there is proof of how your presumptions can go wrong. There's no way you can tell me, as a human being, that you are devoid of stereotypes, because it's how the brain copes with there being so much information in the world. Stereotypes are useful, and based, oftentimes, on general fact. I don't think you're insensitive for stereotyping, I think you're insensitive to the fact that the stereotype you used is malformed and harmful.

That's all. You obviously keep doing what you're doing, since my opinion doesn't and shouldn't bother you unless you think I make sense. And I don't mind, I don't care about you that much, either.

aeleon
Member for 18 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!