Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Fulham Bị Cấm Chuyển Nhượng Sau Vụ Bán Sao Trẻ Cho Liverpool » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A real life 100% diamond, ultimate sword or useless sword?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Is a 100% diamond sword the ultimate sword or a useless sword, given fighting is its main purpose?

Yes it is the ultimate sword
17%
Something in between- please explain in thread
8%
No it is a useless sword
75%

Total votes : 122

A real life 100% diamond, ultimate sword or useless sword?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MrUniqueRoleplay on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:36 pm

I was thinking that people should discuss whether a 100% diamond sword in real life would be the ultimate sword or a useless sword. For example do you think it would slice through any armour or weapon not made of diamond or would it break upon a hard impact? If such a sword was to be made, it would be extremely expensive and thus I could definitely see people using it as a see how much money I have item as it would show that you have a lot of money.

But what do you think? Please discuss and debate.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MrUniqueRoleplay
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

It would be completely and totally useless. As an object gets harder, it gets more brittle. You can shatter diamonds with a hammer. One good block, or one good impact, and you'd be picking diamond bits out of your face. Yes, it could concievably be the sharpest weapon, but that's countered by it's total lack of being able to block, or even bloody STRIKE.

My suggestion: Use flint. It's very, very hard, and when chipped away in the proper method, it can get down to one molecule thick on the blade, much sharper than modern ceramics. AND it's cheaper.

Of course, you still have the problem of cracking and breaking, so I'd suggest a dagger or simple arrowheads of flint, instead of a bloody sword.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Surgical Steel
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: A real life 100% diamond, ultimate sword or useless sword?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:31 pm

It would shatter. Although diamond is hard, it isn't that tough. You can break diamond with a hammer.

A sword with an edge of serrated, sharpened diamond would be an entirely different story.

EDIT: If you have capacity to make a diamond sword, why not just use that formidable materials science to make some fancy iridium-tungsten-sheathed diamond-edged steel sword?
Last edited by Kronos on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Well, kinda. You still have the risk of chipping and cracking even with minimal diamond coating. Eye-surgery scalpels are covered thinly in diamond, and if you drop one, it's useless. Seriously, Eye Surgeons throw away more scalpels that way than any other tool. Hell, if you managed to get a block in with a serrated-diamond blade, the resulting vibration would be likely to seperate the diamond from whatever holds it, OR shatter it completely.

Surgical Steel
Member for 14 years

Diamonds have a molecular structure that allows them to cleave in four directions. This is why diamonds can be cut, to make them more useful for jewelry and the like. If you had a sword made of pure diamond, it would break in one of those four directions once it took too much strain. Actually, with a sword completely made of diamond, you could probably shatter it by bending it between your hands. This will hold true for any rock or mineral constructed sword. If it cannot bend, it will shatter. This is why metals are used, for their pliability and strength.

Uncut diamond wouldn't be useful at all unless used in some sort of chainsaw type way. Blades with diamond edges spinning along the body of the weapon would be able to cut through anything that wasn't sticky.
(((̴̵̹И̜̏̀͂̅ɐ̴̵͍͍͍̹᷈n̴̵̴̵̹̹᷈᷈o͈̼̜͌͋̐ṕ̴̵̹᷄᷇᷈h҉я͈̼Ǝ̷͚̯̺̐ɐ̶̜̺̗̑҉k)))
(((k҉ɐ̶̜̺̗̑Ǝ̷͚̯̺̐я͈̼h҉͈̼̜͌͋̐ṕ̴̵̴̵̴̵̹̹̹᷄᷇᷈᷈o̴̵̴̵̹̹᷈᷈n͂̅ɐ̴̵̴̵͍͍͍̹̹᷈И̴̵̹)))

このプログラムは、心を持っている。
I can smile.
I am human.

Иanophяeak
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Touche.

So remember kids, if you want to make a super-engineered sword, use metal instead of gemstones!

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

And please, for the love of the Gods, make sure to RESEARCH the metal before you go ahead making your sword out of extremely soft gold.

KilroyWasHere
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Or Mercury and end up with a puddle at your feet, and poisoned.

Surgical Steel
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hughes on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:41 pm

I don't care what you say, I want a blade made of solidified mercury!!! :P

If you look on coldsteel.com (Not an advertisement >_>) You'll see that they make a lot of their weapons out of carbon that's been hardened somehow, I don't really know the science behind it. But my friend has a knife that's pure carbon like that, and he can break skin with it, and put it in a clamp and whack it with a sledge hammer without it breaking. It's pretty amazing! I'm thinking a sword made out of carbon might be somewhere along the lines.

Hughes
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:07 pm

It's probably just a very strong grade of steel.

Kronos
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shard on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Carbon steel is just steel with a higher amount of carbon in it. It's sharper and generally better for blades than stainless steel of any grade, but of course it also rusts, so it has to be cleaned regularly.

And yeah, a sword made out of any sort of stone is not really that good an idea. A sword needs flexibility as much as hardness, otherwise, it won't have any absorbing power. Granted, the dramatic movie-blocks where someone clashes blades with his opponent like they're swinging two baseball bats into each other is a good way to destroy any sword you're using (misdirection is the key), but a brittle blade is too much of a liability.

Still and all, though, I'll admit I did use a sword made of diamond in one fantasy story, mainly for the coolness factor (which is the only real reason to use a sword like that). Fortunately, fantasies have one very good way to get around all the deficiencies of such a blade: magic. Say it's carved from the sacred heartstone of the Bla'jere mountains or something, lol.
Et amlug-gwann Endorenna utulien. Sinome maruvan ar mellynyar tenn'Ambar-metta.

Shard
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist Lifegiver

I don't care whether it makes a good weapon or not--if I have that huge a cut diamond, there's no way I'm bringing it into a fight where it could get broken or lost. I'd lock it up in a vault and maybe maybe bring it out to pay for my retirement or my childrens' inheritence.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:33 pm

This topic eerily reminds me of a roleplay from my earliest years, where it was all over chat in a much more laid back setting.

My friend was hardly as creative as to say magic kept his solid diamond sword together, no, his excuse was simple. I remember this vividly now, and believe me, I'm not even beginning to capture the hilarity of his excuses...

"No, you see, it's a KATANA. Katanas can't break, like, seriously, they're made so well it's physically impossible."
"So a katana made of toffee could never break..."
"That's stupid, you can't make a katana out of toffee"
"And you can make one out of diamond?"
"Well, yea, why would you make one out of candy anyway?"
"Because it would be easier than making it out of diamond."
"Okay, seriously, but you have to actually make the katana, like, smelt it in that special Japanese way. The toffee would burn, the diamond would melt."
"I really don't think you can melt diamond."
"Then how do they make jewelry?"
"Your logic is baffling."

Ah, that was back when everyone I knew online and in the real world was 100% obsessed with Japan, Anime, and Manga. The "Because it's a katana!" excuse was not the most far-fetched of their justifications for outlandish things that sparkled.

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Incognito on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:06 am

Master Haroshi say... Sword made twice strong, good for breaking face in two! I totally back your friends reasoning! I mean der, everyone knows you can melt diamonds into super amazing diamond metal alloy stuff that so amazingly cool! rofl. JK.

So far I agree with everything said except for one thing. Strength isn't exactly the correct word to describe a metal. Since strength is determined by how much force something can exert upon another object (and a metal cant get up and push things) I believe the correct would would be hardness. Carbon steel is a very hard and densely packed metal with limited flexibility, that is why it is not brittle and does not fracture or shatter under pressure.

Incognito
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Incognito on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:10 am

OH! I just thought of something... What about diamond bullets? Bullet tips made of sharped diamonds. When they impact metal they should have enough force and kinetic energy to cut right through... Or they might just shatter... What do you think?

Incognito
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zazriel on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:06 am

No idea. I guess it might work.

Zazriel
Member for 15 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:31 am

Bullets like that would be ludicrously expensive! They would probably shatter on impact, leaving dozens of diamond fragments spiraling through the body of the person being shot. It would be painful as hell.

Kronos
Member for 16 years

I have two things to say: Was the knife that Hughes talking about possibly made out of carbon fiber, or was it really carbon steel? I know carbon fiber makes good blunt objects, but could it be used to make a sharp edge?

Also, when it comes to your diamond bullets, that is exactly what hollow points are for XD. The lack of jacket at the tip causes the copper casing AND the lead inside to be torn to ribbons at the force of striking something, causing the bullet to shred into tiny pieces, that do a lot more damage. As a matter of fact, the exit wound from one of those suckers is about 6 times larger (or more) coming out of a body than it is going in XD. I know from having a redneck family XD.

pioneercadet
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azure Limit on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:09 am

Hmm...I think anything made completely out of diamond would fall under the "Awesome but Impracticable" catagory, alone with every other cool sword idea, like gunblades, BFS, chainsaw swords, ect...
"To protect the world from Japanamation, To overthrough the Kaiba corporation,
To denounce the meaning of the original dub, to extend our reach to the world above,
Team Fourkids blast of at the speed of light, surrender now or prepare to fight,
Meowth that's right..."

-Team Fourkids Motto

Azure Limit
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby thepsycoman on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:06 am

Firstly no matter how strong diamonds are there is a low chance of a diamond big enough to cut a solid diamond sword so that would mean smaller diamonds put together and you need something to stick them together with which gives it both weak points and makes it not 100% diamond because of whatever you are using to stick it together, Also if you did find a diamond that big then it would likely that the diamond would have impurities eg: other stones, Air and other gasses, Ect, And that would also make the sword not 100% diamond.

I confess i am a rare metal and mineral sword lover in my roleplays if you are in a roleplay with me you will find my character will normally have a sword made out of diamond and silver, It is really silver studded with diamonds all though and over and these diamonds are tiny although i know this is also unlikely to stand a proper hit but i come back to that little thing called magic.

As for the bullets they would shatter on impact and depending on the diamond they could get so small they they could be carried by the blood stream to the heart or brain causing internal bleeding as they go, So they would be effective IF they worked the sudden speed of the bullet racing out of the gun could shatter the diamond tip because how fast does a bullet go 0 to 300km per hour in 0. something seconds (this is a complete guess but you should get the point I'm raising

Edit: And you know what else even if one was made to show off with some idiot would wave it around which would likely crack it in places until one day it shatters or cracks meet and break it in half, For those who don't realize what I'm on about you have to remember air does give trace amounts of friction these and the vibrations from wavy the sword around while stomping around and all that showing off stuff would be transmitted into the extremely hard and brittle diamond and that of course equals a very expensive lawn, Eye socket and anything else the diamond pieces got into.
To kill or not to kill.... Hardly even a question.

thepsycoman
Member for 15 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!