Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

RPA Announces First Group Class Signups

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

RPA Announces First Group Class Signups

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:45 pm

RolePlayAcademy Group Class Opportunity

New to RP and looking to learn the basics? An experienced hand who wants to brush up your characterization skills? Afraid you’ve created the dreaded Mary-Sue? Character interaction or development feels awkward?

You’ve come to the right place! This month, several members of your Mentor Team will be running the first-ever RPA group class. Students will be given tips and pointers on character creation and development, the importance of introspection, and how to make interaction with other characters both believable and meaningful, all the while immediately putting their new knowledge to work in a short RP designed specifically for the class.

Sound good so far? Here’s a little more detail:

In an old, rundown corner of Wing City lies what used to be considered one of the metropolis’s best-kept secrets: the Wing City Café. The establishment caters to a diverse clientele of Wing City citizens, from high-powered lawyers who need a place to relax and become anonymous, to families with children, couples, the retired, and even the occasional drifter. The friendly, welcoming staff and delicious menu have kept the place running for more than 20 years.

Sadly, things haven’t been going so well recently. You can see it if you look: the slight strain evident in the shoulders of the cheerful barista, the way those shingles that fell off the roof a couple weeks ago haven’t been replaced, the chipping in the dark red paint of the building’s façade. Most of the regulars know: the place is slowly going under, no matter how hard the staff fights to keep it afloat. A number of them have been coming by more frequently, trying to squeeze a last bit of enjoyment out of the old fixture in their lives that may not be there much longer.

The financially-imperiled Wing City Café will provide the setting for a group Roleplay between the students and the Mentors, with posts geared to the lessons. Classes themselves will be taught in a private chat channel, and will consist of four (once-weekly) lessons on character creation & Mary Sues, creating depth in posts, character interaction, and building characters through roleplay. Each class will conclude with a small assignment to go along with the lesson, most likely a post in the Forum RP.

If this sounds like something you are interested in and could benefit from, feel free to sign up below. We’d like to have an idea of how many we’re enrolling, and a handy list of names. Times will be decided based on availability of both students and Mentors, so for now just let us know if you’re interested!

We hope to see you there!
- The Mentor Team

(Written By Kurokiku, Coding by LynIsMe)
Last edited by Renssaerene on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Credits smaller than the rest, forgot size in first coding.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: RPA Announces First Group Class Signups

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MacO'Connor15 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:55 pm

is this where we sign up?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MacO'Connor15
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Yes it is! If anyone else is interested, just post something to that effect below and we'll PM you once we're ready to start figuring out times.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sepiraa on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:14 am

Hi there, I want to sign up too.This sounds fun. =)
Some people live to protect lies, while others live to uncover truth.

Sepiraa
Member for 13 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alasund on Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:55 am

Alright, I'll be editing this post to have an up-to-date list of current participants!

MacO'Conner15
Sepiraa
The_Rebel
Jehanne
NewKidOnTheBlock
Smokescreen
Dhampir
Chyme
Jack Benimble
Optimalist
Poofle
Verdant plains and cold dark night. I have nothing more but silence.

Alasund
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The_Rebel on Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:39 am

I would like to sign up too!

The_Rebel
Member for 13 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jehanne on Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:46 am

Lyn wouldn't let me lazy and sign me up, so I have to post here myself and do it. >:T
Maybe you are right, and this world isn't anything special after all.
But as familiar sights look different when seen from on high--as even when it's raining, blue skies spread out above the clouds--don't you think that the way you view the world changes depending on how it is perceived?
O, what a wonderful world! Even if it's a lie, if you believe it, maybe you'll feel happier than yesterday. Right?
Good or bad or something amazing: it isn't about what you do; it's about living without regret. That's it.

Jehanne
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Re: RPA Announces First Group Class Signups (Update)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Renssaerene on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Hey Guys!

So we've got a nice handful of people signed up so far, a few aren't on the thread due to schedule messiness, but we're ready to get started. We're planning on starting class this Saturday (July 9) sometime after 12PM CST.

So what we need to know now is what time works for you all, and what timezone are you in?

Thanks a ton,
Lyn

Renssaerene
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NewKidOnTheBlock on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:03 pm

I would love to be part of this. Sign me up!

NewKidOnTheBlock
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smokescreen on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:30 am

I think I need a refresher, some free-writing callisthenics as it were. Sign me up.

Smokescreen
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Okay, the tabulations are in, and the first class will be taking place this Saturday, July 9, at 9PM EST, 8 Central. Please appear in chat as close to 8:45 PM as possible, so that we can get a separate channel set up and running.

If plans change and this time becomes inconvenient for anyone, send a PM to myself or LynIsMe, and we will try and find another time to fill you in on the content of the class.

Thanks everyone!

-Kiku

Time Conversions:

8:45 PM EST

7:45 PM CST

5:45 PM PST

10:45 AM NSW (Australia, July 10)

12:45 AM GMT (Greenwich Mean Time, July 10)
Last edited by Renssaerene on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added more time conversions.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CortexiphanGirl on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:36 pm

If you still have room, I'd love to sign up. I'm 98.765% sure I'll be able to be there :)

CortexiphanGirl
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:38 pm

You're absolutely welcome, Lilaiy! We'd be happy to have you.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Renssaerene on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:32 am

Dhampir- That will not be an issue. If you miss a class, and need a recap, I am generally online in the chat so I could easily go over it with you and catch you up on any homework you missed.

This also goes for anybody else.

Renssaerene
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chyme on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:12 pm

I'd love to sign up. Unless there's a storm, my internet is satelite ran, I'm sure I'll be able to make it.

Chyme
Member for 13 years
Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:33 pm

Then we'd be happy to take you! Just refer to the time chart above and be in chat when it indicates, and we'll pull you right in.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Renssaerene on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Hello All!

Our first class is tomorrow at 9 PM EST and we are all excited to be starting the first RPA Group Class Session. Below you will find a few details on tomorrow's lesson, there will be two question session- One before the class begins, and one after it ends. If you have any questions write them down before class, this will ensure you don't forget them beforehand.

Tomorrow's Topic: Introduction to Character Creation & Avoiding Mary Sue's

Class Objectives:
    1. Students should be able to give an example of a Mary Sue, as well as a Developed Character.
    2. Students should be able to create a character in th MV on their own.
    3. Students should understand the difference between a Mary Sue and a non-Mary Sue.

Tomorrow's Homework:
Each student will create their character for the Class Roleplay, as they normally would. Assistance from Mentors will be available to give characters depth before next week's session.

Two Threads have been made that you all should bookmark or subscribe to: The Class Roleplay and the Class Roleplay Character Thread.

Do not create, or post your character, until after tomorrow's class.

If you need help throughout the month, feel free to post here, or PM one of the participating Mentors (Kurokiku, Alasund, and I) directly.

See you tomorrow!

-Lyn

Renssaerene
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jack Benimble on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:48 pm

I do hope I'm not too late to join, I could always use a course like this.
Fnord.

Jack Benimble
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Renssaerene on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Not at all, we'd be glad to have you! Just refer to the time chart above and be in chat when it indicates, and we'll pull you right in.

Renssaerene
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Optimalist on Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Just in time! See you all tomorrow.

Thank you to the organizers and mentors in advance. I'm pretty sure this is going to be a start of something epic. I've been meaning to join an RPG community for the longest time and now have decided to just jump right in. :)

Optimalist
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!