Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

SONGS/BANDS to WRITE to.

a topic in Music, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

Are you a budding musician? Share with us here!

SONGS/BANDS to WRITE to.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leeo on Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:14 pm

Personally I like listening to music when I write. I'm just curious as to what songs or bands other people like me write to.

Two bands that inspire me when I'm writing are

God is an Astronaut.

and.

Saltillo.

Check them out.

What do you listen to?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Leeo
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Re: SONGS/BANDS to WRITE to.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kouketsu on Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:47 am

I have very particular music that I always tend to listen to when writing posts, but more often than not it depends on the character which I'm actually writing. However, a great majority of the time I absolutely cannot write effectively while listening to something with words, nor things that are abrasive or employ a lot of disharmony, but there are some exceptions.

With that said, a list of the most used artists whose work I draw from to put me in a writing (And particularly a roleplaying) mood:

+John Coltrane - I've a couple of character who are meant to be consistently and undeniably smooth in every possible way, and nothing sets the tone better than jazz.
+Emancipator - Laid back ambient (And at times trip-hop) that manages to get the job done almost all the time, no matter what I'm writing.
+The Pixies - One of the few exceptions to that no music with words and no music that is abrasive rule? The Pixies.
+Azure Ray - This includes the separate solo projects of Maria Taylor and Orenda Fink, but again, more relaxing and downtempo stuff that gets me in a writing mood.
+The Appleseed Cast - Just listen and you'll see why.
+Bal-Sagoth - Black metal, yes, but take one look at the lyrics and you'll know why they inspire.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kouketsu
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pixelgami on Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:59 pm

I like listening to a song on repeat while I write. It may sound annoying, but after awhile it becomes white noise; it's great to do that while typing away.

My current song is "Black Wave," by the Shins.

pixelgami
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leeo on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:45 pm

Emancipator! I like that band...Thats cool you know about them.

@Ingrid, I'm guiltily of the same thing...haha.

Leeo
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PATRIOT on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:17 am

I write along to overly dramatic music, instrumentals, and epic metal orchestras.

Mostly-- Nightwish, Alkaline Trio, Russian Circles, Pelican, Circle Takes the Square, & Tom Waits.

PATRIOT
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Roselite on Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:58 pm

^ Nightwish rocks.

Anyways, I like listening to these songs:
'Flagpole Sitta' by Harvey Danger
'Black Hole Sun' by Soundgarden
'Ballroom Blitz' by The Sweet
'Toys in the Attic' by Aerosmith
'Money for Nothing' by The Dire Straits
'The Ballad of John and Yoko by The Beatles(and while you're at it, rack up all other Beatles tunes as well)
'SInging in the Rain' Originally by Gene Kelly, Remixed by Mint Royale
And, of course, anything by Weezer, Nirvana, Supertramp, Bob Ricci, and, best of them all... PEARL JAM!
But it's like . . . you've got this voice that just makes everything else go away. Singing or otherwise. It brings things down to what you're talking about and makes it . . . well, I dunno what the word is, but it's synonymous with beautiful.

Roselite
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Yami-Dokuro on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:51 am

I mainly throw on my video game music collections when I try to write, things like SSBB, Metroid Prime series, FF series, just instrumentals.

When I feel I need something harder I either listen to The Black Mages or Queen or maybe a bit of Bullet For My Valentine.

Yami-Dokuro
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brad on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:03 pm

Depends what I'm writing. Primus is on at all times, but if Im doing some horror stuff I'll have ambience (I hate death metal. Alot), but if it's fantasy it's usually jus whatever I feel like.
Dance forever with the devil on a cold cell block
But that's what happens when you rape, murder and sell rock
Devils used to be gods, angels that fell from the top
There's no diversity because we're burning in the melting pot

Brad
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Roselite on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:52 am

More to add!

'La Valse d'Amelie'
'Close to You' from Mirrormask(It's the one that gets me going)
'Across the Universe' by Jim Sturgess(Again, it's the one that works)
'Viva la Vida' or 'Speed of Sound' by Coldplay
'In Bloom' and 'Lithium' by Nirvana, also sometimes 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'.
'Sara', 'Rhiannon', and pretty much every other song by Fleetwood Mac.
'Ricochet' by the Shiny Toy Guns
'Love Me Dead' by Ludo
'All I want' and 'You're gonna go far Kid' by The Offspring.

Roselite
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:11 pm

Sabaton and various Military Anthems are my usual choice...

Sabaton - Panzerkamphf
Sabaton - Primo Victoria
Sabaton - Back in Control

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:47 am

I highly suggest listening Boards of Canada, Ulrich Schnauss, or Autechre for some productive writing. Very easy on the ears and great for the imagination. It really pushes peoples brilliant or even latent synesthesia. It also doesn't interfere with/manipulate the writing process, as lyrical music can sometimes do (lyrics can imprint visuals of what is being said, thus finding a way into your writing. Not necessarily a bad thing, but some people try to avoid that.)
I am available as an RP mentor should you seek to improve.
I draw things that you may like.
I like Ronald Jenkees and you might, too.

I require a certain level of writing skill in my stories. Don't be insulted, I just prefer to RP novel-level material. (I, I, I, me, me, me. I sound like such a jerk.)

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Radioactive-Hobo on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:10 pm

It depends on the character for me...

If its Fenrir I listen to Pagoda... particulary the songs Death to Birth, The Happy Song, and Fetus.

Some of the others I listen to when I write are:
Nirvana
A Perfect Circle
Tool
The Foo Fighters
The Smashing Pumpkins

Radioactive-Hobo
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arietraekos on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:47 pm

When I write, draw, Eat,Bathe SLEEP Even there is only when thing I listen to DRAGONFORCE.....and no not Through The Fire and Flames....But more Preferablly a song that almost sounds more like Hymn from them.......Heres the Vid Eat it up, I know it's Rockband but the Vid takes away to much of the song....not a Vid I made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFULASTB3lA

Arietraekos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Big Boss on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:25 pm

Well I like to listen to Slipknots new album but I found this video on youtube ad I've been listening to it a lot.

Bring Me the Disco King (Loner Mix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7tOApRU-bU

Big Boss
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:25 am

If I do listen to music I prefer it to be something dramatic that will help affect the mood that is being set in the role play. Most of the time I can't listen to anything with lyrics when I write. It gets distracting after a while (that and I start singing along and I'm just not that great at multitasking :P ) Though sometimes when I know it won't distract me I'll listen to Sonata Arctica or Within Temptation or something. On most occassions I'll have the instrumental cd of 'Dark Passion Play' by Nightwish playing in the background and sometimes I'll still put on Enigma for a change of atmosphere.
He who has ears to hear, let him hear
For this is a tale of an ancient kind
In the word there lies existence and the word became flesh
And dwelt among us and we saw its glory
Let him hear it who will

Kai
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Promethean Inspiration

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:46 am

I like listening to music while writing. It has to be the right music though, like death metal for me just distracts me when I'm trying to think of something to write. A couple bands I like to listen to while writing? Okay! Uhh.. Stabilo, Finger Eleven, Fall Out Boy and lastly, Breaking Benjamin. Those artists help me get into the mood to write most of the time. Along with several other bands that I don't want to mention. Really, most artists will be fine with me but those four have to be my favorite to listen to while writing. ^^;
I only teach those willing to learn.

Brovo
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel Of Darkness on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:33 pm

I love listening to my iPod when I'm doing homework or Itunes if I'm in my room. So I basically listen to music when I write stories, do homework, and sleep. Yes weird but I have to listen to my radio when I go to bed or else I can't sleep. It's a funny story actually because I started listening to my stereo when I was about 10 or 11 because we had a bad thunderstorm and scared me and my mom told me to listen to my stereo and it'll block out the noise and it worked so now it's just a habit. lol.

Anyways when I do homework and write I usually listen too:

Blessthefall
Escape the Fate
Disturbed
Slipknot
Bullet For My Valentine
Paramore
Forever The Sickest Kids
Hawthorne Heights

and sometimes Lil Wayne but it just depends lol.
Take the knife and twist it.
Where's my heart? You missed it.
And you know I don't wanna die,
But baby you insist it.
Breathing is a luxury that I just shouldn't have.
My heart just keeps on beating, and it's more then you can stand.

Angel Of Darkness
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OrangexDoorhinge on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:45 pm

I listen to music when I do school ALL THE TIME! For someone with ADD, it definitely helps, haha. My favorite bands to listen to are probably (yes there's a lot):

Switchfoot
Skillet
Paramore
Thousand Foot Krutch
Kingsfoil (A friends band. They are AMAZING, check them out here.)
We The Kings
Coldplay
Casting Crowns
Chris Tomlin
Hillsong
Hawk Nelson
Rascal Flatts
Taylor Swift
Cobra Starship
Linkin Park
Nickelback
John Mayer
Three Days Grace
3 Doors Down
All Time Low

Yeahh I have a lot...

OrangexDoorhinge
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nieve.Roja on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:45 am

Well, it depends. My fiction tends to have quite some action, so I usually listen to something fitting.
Think The Prodigy, Linkin Park, Metallica, the like. You know, the kind that make you wanna go 36-hit combo on some random pedestrian.

Nieve.Roja
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selothi on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:40 pm

I listen almost exclusively to the music from the PC game: "The Witcher", it's abso-fucking-lutely beautiful ! Gives off a great ambience, is very well-written and played, it's classical music with a hint of ... you know, ye olde stuff. Old instruments and slightly pagan-sounding tunes that really set the tone. Other than that, any instrumental I can get my hands on (Orion and Call of Ctuhlu from Metallica) or otherwise some black or death metal at very low volume (Morbid Angel and Mayhem just today). I'm trying to find some modern-written classical music ...

Selothi
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!