Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Walking Dead: Online

Storyboard

a part of “The Walking Dead: Online”, a fictional universe by Captain Calamity.

An unexplainable infection has swept the world, bringing society to its knees. You are one of the lucky ones. A survivor. But now you must do whatever it takes to survive the greatest threat of all... each other.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Walking Dead: Online”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: Storyboard

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fredalice on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Ok so I tried three times to post, but it isn't showing up at all, I'll try again later.
"I solemnly swear I am up to no good" - Fred and George Weasley

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Fredalice
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Captain Calamity on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:47 pm

Hmmm. This site is kind've the worst sometimes... it won't even let you edit?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Captain Calamity
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fredalice on Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:05 pm

Well it will, I'll post and then nothing will show up.

Fredalice
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fear of a Female Planet on Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:13 pm

Happy Easter, compadres!

@Fredalice, can you PM the post to someone so that they might toss it up?
"Stand up to your obstacles and do something about them. You will find that they haven't half the strength you think they have." - Norman Vincent Peale

"He broke my sitar, mother****er!" - Anton Newcombe

Fear of a Female Planet
Member for 11 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zephon on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:47 am

Happy Easter!
Passive-aggressive signature

Zephon
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Captain Calamity on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Hope everyone had a goooood holiday. :)

I wanted to to a interest check here...

Once we've managed to get the whole group together, what would your characters likely want to do?

Options that have been discussed in PMs were:

- North along the coastline; possibly to Alaska.
- East to the CDC in Atlanta; maybe pass through Vegas or somewhere in Texas/New Mexico?
- Washington DC; where all the answers lie?
- Just outside Los Angeles; stay close to the city where we all have ties.

Thoughts? I figure if Calvin and Sarah get reunited in time they'll want to maybe head to the CDC, or north.

Captain Calamity
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zephon on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Well, going towards Alaska seems a bit extreme to me. Not sure why you'd want to do that. Atlanta and Washington also feel odd. I mean, there has to be a really good reason other then "gosh, I wonder if they know something on the other side of the country. Let's travel for thousands of miles to find out. Never mind all the zombies everywhere."

Maybe later, sure, once we do find a good reason, but I'd actually prefer to stay around the west coast for a while, especially since this makes it different from the comics/tv series/video game. Vegas or Texas could be fun at some point though.

For now, I think it's most important that we get the entire group together and then have them actually be together for a while, so we can have a core story point to work with. Because I feel that ultimately, while all the individual story lines are fun (and are some sort of 'origin' story), these people should become a group. Otherwise, what's the point of this all?

Of course, this does not mean we can't have individual story lines later, but the group should always stay as a focal point. At least, that's how I feel.

As an aside, Calamity, was it always your intention to have Niobe become a main character or did you decide on that because you forgot to make her an NPC? :P

Zephon
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fear of a Female Planet on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Alaska actually isn't that bad of a stretch; if we stick around in southern California, our water will run out and we'll have to figure out life in a desert. It's do-able, but as part of L.A.'s history has been punctuated by the threat of drought and lack of water for the huge population, and the water problem California has in general, it's not a safe place to remain for extended periods of time. The farther you go up north into the Pacific Northwest, the better your chances are for survival on that level.

Also, Alaska's low population, isolation, and prevalence of firearms and combat veterans and military installations actually makes it a very safe place to be. Milder summers with nearly constant sunshine, and winters where shelters are built make it an attractive prospect. Wood stove heat is very prevalent, reducing a reliance on fossil fuels like oil and natural gas. Agriculture is good. Abundant fishing. Easy preservation of food in the icy winter ;)

Fear of a Female Planet
Member for 11 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Captain Calamity on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:05 pm

Alaska sounds like the perfect end-game goal for if these people decide they want to bunker down and try to start a new life.

Zephon makes some good points about focusing on the short-term. I was kind of anxious to use the bombing of the city as some sort of springboard to get our characters on the move, but it might be more interesting to see what happens if we stay.

I actually decided Niobe'd be an interesting character perspective as things progress when I made her. Especially cause I don't know how long Calvin and Sarah will survive for...

Captain Calamity
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fear of a Female Planet on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:03 pm

There will definitely be a community of people up in Alaska. The people up there are fairly clannish about others from the "outside," which makes for a really great tension point to start out with... winning the trust of the locals.

Meaning... BEAR FIGHTS! ... ;) LOL.

To make it a goal to get up there by September means that most of the cold weather will be avoided on the way up. Flying seems like it'll be tough to do. Boats are an option, but that also sounds like a fuel-intensive operation... leaving vehicles. So, we'd have the dilemma of determining which option to travel would be both safe AND fuel-efficient.

But these folks up north... there are definitely more guns than people in Alaska. Since people are always on the lookout for wild threats like animals, they'll be likely to eliminate walker threats more easily than others in the rest of the country. I'm betting that the farther north a group would get along the ALCAN highway (the route from Washington State up through Canada to Alaska) that we'd see that kind of mentality, but in Alaska there's always Anchorage, the urban center with plenty of opportunities for housing.

If we do decide to go this route I'd be happy to make maps and do write-ups about Alaska to help define that weird part of the world for those that haven't been.

Fear of a Female Planet
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fredalice on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:31 pm

I could either go for heading to Las Vegas/Texas area (we could maybe say that Dyomie knows some people there that could possibly help them somehow) or towards Washington (though part of me feels that Dyomie won't be too keen on that idea as she generally has a low opinion of the government "They're all idiots", she might say).

Fredalice
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fear of a Female Planet on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Bearing that in mind, Dyomie would make a terrific Alaskan ;)

Fear of a Female Planet
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Captain Calamity on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:46 pm

Its good to know we all have different ideas. This is a discussion our characters should have once the story allows. For now, we should decide what would be a good place for us to hole up in Los Angeles proper, or closeby.

A school would probably be good... one with fences. Good fortifications at least. Or like a scarpyard or car impound. It wouldn't be comfy living, but it'd be safe. Dodger's Stadium would be interesting.

And Zephon made a good point about these formative days in the story. This is where we explore the characters and their backstories, begin cementing some relationships, and develop tension points. There'll be plenty of time for different locales and more ambitious bits for later seasons. For now, telling the Los Angeles story will do us and our characters good.

Im about to link the chain between the two big groups here shortly.

Moonlight/Fredalice, how do you guys want to connect with the group?

Captain Calamity
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fear of a Female Planet on Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:27 am

What about a storage facility? Lots of raiding opportunities and everyone can have some space.

Fear of a Female Planet
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Captain Calamity on Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:58 am

Doesn't sound very comfy lol. Good place for a supply run though for sure.

Captain Calamity
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fear of a Female Planet on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:23 am

Think about it—plenty of stalls that can be cleared out. Great for cover from the walkers if they got in. People probably keep furniture, batteries, weapons... Stockpile stuff... Possible vending machines in an office, maybe barbed wire depending on the place!

... I know, I'm totally hellbent ;)

Fear of a Female Planet
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Captain Calamity on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:00 am

I was more speaking to its versatility. Other than the actual storage sheds, those places rarely have many other buildings. We'd have one way in or out of every stall, a huge metal sliding door... has no windows, difficult to set-up lookouts. Places with amenities, rooms, and other stuff would be higher on my list.

Captain Calamity
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zephon on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:46 am

Well, obviously I'm the ignorant European here, as I always assume Alaska is cold and miserable. At least in the winter. Summer could be alright though. I dunno. Never spent much time thinking about the place.
My main issue I think is that it is quite far away and right now we're still on day two, which means everyone is still in short-term survival mode. But yeah, could be fun as a long term goal.

Rafiq will definitely not be up for it though. He's so not the outdoorsy type. Of course, he will probably have no choice. Or be dead. Who knows.

As for where to stay, that also depends a bit on how devastating the bombing is going to be. Will the entire city be flattened or just certain 'hot spots'? Meh, you'd probably want to get to the edge or out of the city regardless. And stay in something that is a bit defensible and has a good view over the area. Can't think of something right now though :(

Zephon
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fredalice on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:04 am

Okay I finally got the post up! It's in the same place as my blank one so you'll have to go back and read it. Wow that took forever to get working! =D

Fredalice
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fear of a Female Planet on Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:11 am

@Calamity, some places have garage access doors to the outside and smaller doors that link to hallways ;) I'll be fine with whatever decision you want to make, though!

@Z, Rafiq may not be outdoorsy now, but he may have to learn how to be eventually! Also, Alaska is cold, yes, but people live there, make lives, etc... It has all kinds of things there. If more people knew how modern some parts of it were, more people would go there. ;) But I do agree that focusing on the short-term is good. But in the long-term, if characters want stability, Alaska is a great option.

Fear of a Female Planet
Member for 11 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!