Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Lingering

The Lingering

a part of “The Lingering”, a fictional universe by Nomadiac.

You have been left alone on this Earth by everyone you know, your only company a group of strangers. You are being sought out by the Mainframe. They will find you. Will you survive, or will they succeed?

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Lingering”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] The Lingering

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nomadiac on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:34 pm

This is the auto-generated OOC topic for the roleplay "[url=http://www.roleplaygateway.com/roleplay/the-lingering/]The Lingering[/url]"

You may edit this first post as you see fit.
- NOMAD -

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nomadiac
Member for 14 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] The Lingering

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lykaios on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi, this roleplay sounds great, but I'm confused about a few things.

Firstly, you said that the date is 2850 AD, but when did all this start and how long have the Lingering been 'on the run', as it were? Also, how long ago was 'the few years of training'? I'm just asking because I'm not sure how old I should make my character.

Also what's the setting for this roleplay? I don't want to make my character British if it's set in America without having any reasoning as to why/how my character got to America.

Um, and with the writing sample, what kind of thing are you looking for length-wise? I write a lot in my spare time, both fiction and poetry, but most of my fiction is rather lengthy. Would just a snippet of something be sufficient enough, or do you want a certain amount of words?

Haha, sorry about all the questions. :S
The year is 2036. It is early November and it is raining. Rusting cars are parked on the sides of the cracked roads, untouched for over two decades. Disasters happened here, and the survivors barely remember what they survived . . .

For more info and to join, click here: roleplay/the-desolates/

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lykaios
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:28 pm

LYKAIOS!?!?!??! FROM HIDDEN VILLAGE????? IS THAT YOU????

I was planning on applying for this anyway, but an old roleplaying compatriot would only further increase my interest.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lykaios on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Uhhh . . . I don't think so, sorry . . .

I'm a member of an awful lot of writing and roleplay forums, and go under this name in all of them, but I don't think I've heard of Hidden Village . . . ?

I'm sorry I'm not who you thought I was, and I hope this doesn't put you off joining. :S

Lykaios
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Avey on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:37 pm

Well I submitted my character and sample of writing. I hope I get into this rp :)

Avey
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nomadiac on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Lykaios wrote:Hi, this roleplay sounds great, but I'm confused about a few things.

Firstly, you said that the date is 2850 AD, but when did all this start and how long have the Lingering been 'on the run', as it were? Also, how long ago was 'the few years of training'? I'm just asking because I'm not sure how old I should make my character.

Also what's the setting for this roleplay? I don't want to make my character British if it's set in America without having any reasoning as to why/how my character got to America.

Um, and with the writing sample, what kind of thing are you looking for length-wise? I write a lot in my spare time, both fiction and poetry, but most of my fiction is rather lengthy. Would just a snippet of something be sufficient enough, or do you want a certain amount of words?

Haha, sorry about all the questions. :S

That's alright...I really should've explained it better...anyway, the Group (the organisation which is controlling the world) was originally a New Age cult which believed that the purpose of humanity was to destroy their physical bodies and become a singular entity. It gradually evolved into a still deeply religious political organisation which, over time, gained control over the governments of the world. They brainwashed their subjects with their ideology, and soon, they had nearly the entire population under control.

The Lingering have existed ever since the Group started gaining control over states (about 200 years before this RP begins). The early Lingering were resigned to the fact that the Group would eventually gain complete power, and so they tried to secretly find and contact those who had managed to resist brainwashing. They didn't bother with anything more, because the technology that the Group needed to achieve their goal-mind transfer technology-was not even close to being invented.

However, in about 2825 AD, the Group made an address to their subjects. They told them that 'the Time is near'. The Lingering took this as a sign that the technology was finally being developed, and so told their members to start preparing, while still finding new members.

The setting is in France, in the city of Paris-Nouvelle (New Paris, situated over the ruins of the old Paris)...there's still a connection under the English Channel, so Brits can get there easily enough and on short notice. Travel from anywhere is rather cheap, so wealth wouldn't be a problem.

Writing samples don't have to be very long...just a snippet will be OK, maybe three paragraphs.

Hope I answered your questions well :p

Nomadiac
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Character app sent in, I'll PM you a writing sample soon, I just have to think one up, or dredge up an older piece of fiction. I must admit most of my recent writing has been rather lackluster, as I've just been playing lower quality RP's for fun while stoned.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PandoraBox on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:16 pm

omg i love playing lower quality rps while stoned too :)
anywhooooo
i'm making a character for this so look out!
Last edited by PandoraBox on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
{insert witty signature here}

PandoraBox
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rincewind on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:48 pm

EDIT:Ain't that stereotypical of me? I messed up on the character sheet and I need to resubmit it. My bad everyone.
"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in the world; of these heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared."

Rincewind
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheTrooper on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:38 pm

An RP close to my own heart, I shall submit a character sheet.

Question: Do you want the skeleton filled out and PMed to you or would you prefer that I use the Character Application option?
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

"So when you're waiting for the next attack, you better stand there's no turning back."

TheTrooper
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dig17 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:39 pm

Did my profile get submitted?

dig17
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby soaring-arrow on Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:15 pm

Ooh. You'll certainly be seeing me around. c:
John H. Reilly
Rest in Peace

soaring-arrow
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cypher on Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:47 pm

TheTrooper wrote:An RP close to my own heart, I shall submit a character sheet.

Question: Do you want the skeleton filled out and PMed to you or would you prefer that I use the Character Application option?

My question is mretty much the same as his. However, as I have just found this RP, I haven't gotten a chance to write up a character or a writing sample. I will do Both ASAP.
From the depths, I return!

Cypher
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rawrr on Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:49 pm

We all use the Character App option, and that's basically how he accepted me and Ave, so I hope that answers your question. The PMing is only for the sample of writing to send to him.

smoke it, feel it, fly it high.

Rawrr
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lykaios on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks for answering my questions. :)

I've submitted a character and I'll send you a writing sample tomorrow night sometime.

Lykaios
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tartra on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:34 am

Just to confirm (which I should've done before I made my character, stupid me): we're assuming that, although the Lingering knew this was coming, they were living fairly normal lives?
The Other Kind of Roommate - A web serial; Language and violence well employed.

Tartra
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rawrr on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:48 am

Nomadiac, are you gonna submit your character last?

Rawrr
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nomadiac on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Rawrr wrote:Nomadiac, are you gonna submit your character last?

Yeah, probably, although I don't mean to be the last one in. More that I haven't had too much time. I've spent most of my time on this site reading writing samples and character submits...I've got a character about 2/3 done, so I'll probably have it up today.

Nomadiac
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nomadiac on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:14 pm

By the way, I'll wait until everyone who's currently submitted a character has sent a writing sample in...so currently, that would be:
soaring-arrow
Rincewind

EDIT: I've got Rincewind's sample.
EDIT: I've got soaring-arrow's sample. The RP will start as soon as I write the opening post.
Last edited by Nomadiac on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nomadiac
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rincewind on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:39 pm

You didn't get my writing sample?

*headdesk* I'll retype it asap.

Rincewind
Member for 15 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!