Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Vyshe Academia

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Re: The Vyshe Academia

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:24 am

Yeah, I love the Wheel of Time. If the wind didn't get you, the reference to pipes of Tabac certainly would have.

And that sounds fine to me.
Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is... Again, tell me what life is.

Tiko says: Saladin: Damn it, leave my hole alone.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Iggi on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:17 am

Wow. o_o I'm somewhat surprised this attracted so many people. Kudos to you!

Like I stated over IRC, I guess I'm gonna have to join in. I'm pretty sure everyone would be lacking just a lil without my participation. Like I also stated over IRC, everything concerning my intro should be cleared up in my first post. Which, as I'm actually excited for this, I'll be running off to type up right now.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Iggi
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Plot Development - A Further Study

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:06 pm

So, the roleplay has started, and is certainly off to a positive start. Each and every post so far has been very good, and I've been impressed by each player thus far involved. So, well done guys.

In the last lesson (as I will refer to these 'lectures' as, seeing as they are here to help you learn) we took a look at the purpose of a roleplay post, and what each post should include. You each seem to have applied these principles very well, so give yourself a deserved pat on the back.

I want to, today, take a further look into plot development, and what we can do, in both an In Character sense, and Out of Character, as players, to help the plot develop not only at a steady pace, but with a smooth transition from one post to the next. The lesson is to follow below.

First of all, whilst we all know what a plot is, I want to give one or two definitions of the word:

dictionary.com Unabridged Dictionary wrote:Also called storyline. The plan, scheme, or main story of a literary or dramatic work, as a play, novel, or short story.

And, also found on dictionary.com, is a quote from the Pope (though which Pope, it does not say), and I think this sums up a plot perfectly:

Pope wrote:In fiction, the story of a play, novel, romance, or poem, comprising a complication of incidents which are gradually unfolded, sometimes by unexpected means.

If the plot or intrigue must be natural, and such as springs from the subject, then the winding up of the plot must be a probable consequence of all that went before.

So, from the both of these, we see that the plot is the actual story of the particular piece, in our specific case, the story of the roleplay. This story is comprised of a multitude of events/"incidents" that meld together, and occur gradually to make a progression. The end of the plot, the end of the story (a roleplay is, after all, only a story) must be consequential to what has happened previously. An example, I suppose, would be a disaster movie:

Picture the scene for a moment, if you will; a peaceful sort of town sits at the foot of a mountain, or what people had thought to be a mountain. One day, the mountain explodes, and the people realise it was, in fact, a dormant volcano. The massive sea of lava slowly coming towards them must somehow be stopped, or all the townsfolk will be killed and left homeless. Yep, a pretty stereotypical scenario, but it works.

Now, the first hour and fifty-five minutes of the film are spent building up to the main event, introducing characters, showing how they react and deal with the impending doom, and finally, the sea of lava, after some unavoidable damage to the town, is stopped, and everyone lives. There is no romance in the movie. Now, imagine if the last five minutes of the movie showed 'Mayor Johnson' and 'Betty Smithson' getting married.

It'd be entirely ridiculous, no? There is no relation to the rest of the movie, and is portrayed as simply senseless. I can imagine what the critics would say. Oh boy, they would have so much fun!

Whilst there are perhaps obvious links to roleplay there, we need to consider the difference between roleplay and a normal piece of fiction. In a book, there is generally only one author who takes control of all aspects of the story, the characters, and the events that occur. Roleplaying, however, is collaborative in a sense... We each are contributing to the story with our characters, but we only have control over those characters. We cannot dictate the actions of others' characters, nor what they do.

So, whilst we may have plans for the plot, and what we want to happen in both a character specific, and general sense, the only control we have is on a post by post basis. And when we write our posts, we not only need to consider that which we have written previously, but also that others have written. Essentially, we have control only of our own characters, but are dictated by all the other players as well.
A perfect example of this would be if Player A, in his post, states that his character is outside, wearing a pair of shorts and a vest and a few clouds are in the sky. Player B may, in her post, whilst being in the same city, comment that the windows of her character's chamber began to mist as rain started to fall outside. This is perfectly reasonable, as clouds allude to a possibility of rain. Player A, now, is left with no choice but to react to the rain, and feel rather sorry for his character.

Player A, whether intending to or not, gave a nice potential prompt with the clouds, Player B made a response by saying it started to rain. Now, Player A must make a response to the prompt of the rain. He could, of course, ignore it, and have his scantily clad character continue on like nothing has happened. But, wouldn't that be like the wedding in our disaster movie?

The simpler way to explain this would be: The plot ends with each post, your prompts are simply openings for sequels.

Why is this so? Let me recount the quote of our nameless Pope from dictionary.com:

Nameless Pope wrote:the winding up of the plot must be a probable consequence of all that went before.

By the end of our posts, everything that happened needs to make sense. And on what is the sense built? The posts before. Therefore, think of each post as simply an episode in a TV series. Each episode is focusing on a different character, and each character gets his or her own director and writer for the episode in which they are the focus. The series has a rough idea of plot, and each episode is sequential.

If we consider this when posting, things will go much more smoothly. But, what can we do in an IC sense to make this possible? Leave your posts as open ended as possible. Example: Four players have their characters in a room, not necessarily already engaged in interaction, and one of the players moves his character to another room. Or rather, wants to. Rather than moving to the room, why not have your character move to enter the next room. It's alluded that you enter, but if someone wants to interrupt your character, they can do so. If no one in the room interacts with your character, you can then continue as though, in your previous post, you had actually moved into the room.
This moves us on to the next thing you can do in an IC sense to help the plot develop as smoothly as possible. Or rather, not do. Don't take too many actions per post. Sure, if you're in a wilderness where there isn't another living soul for a hundred miles, do as you please. However, if in, let's say, a crowded bazaar, don't have your character look through various items on display, speak to the owner, go back to look again, speak to an assistant, go back to the owner for more conversation, reinvestigate another item, then buy something else, all in one post. Especially if there are other players' characters in the bazaar. Maybe one of the other player-characters (PCs) would give their own recommendations, or would offer barter for an item they also wanted, that same item you bought. None of this could be done if your post finishes up all of your business in the bazaar. Also, whilst that is happening, the other character is left redundant for however long (in an IC sense) your character takes. Consider a book: All the characters are moving/interacting at the same time. We need to enable this in a collaborative piece of writing also.
For simple continuity, ensure that PCs and NPCs (non-player-characters) remain consistent with both the setting of the RP as a whole, and also the more specific setting within the game at that time. In a busy city, the capital city of a wealthy, money-centric nation renowned for hard bargains and trade deals that have more advantage for themselves than is credulous, the workers of a busy, well known, reputable inn would not give food or drink to someone obviously without money. The break in a predetermined trait will create inconsistencies that make no sense at all, especially if such uncharacteristic actions are without explanation.

So, OOCly, what can we do as players, outside of any character, exclusive of any IC elements, to make sure the plot moves forward smoothly?
First let's discuss a rule already put in place for this RP - Speed posting. Why is this put in place? It is actually very similar to the point made above about doing too many actions in one post. It is important to consider that not all players can be online at the same time, or for the same amount of time as others, and two (or more) people posting a whole series of events in the space of a couple of hours can easily become very restricting on the player who may only get online when the others are asleep, or gets only the time for a post in the morning, and one in the evening. I put that rule in place for this game as a pre-emptive move against what is a prevalent problem on Gateway at the moment, but we need to discuss another aspect of it in exploring what we can do to help plot.
This is, in essence, another form of speed posting, and whilst acceptable if your character is alone in the middle of nowhere, it isn't really so if your character is within a confined space where other players have situated their characters. Each player needs an equal chance to post, so whilst the speed posting rule applies only to two players, we need also to consider the effects of maybe singular or multiple people posting a series of posts that leaves another player 'trapped' by those posts. Example: Four players are in a single room, perhaps a ballroom. Player A posts, followed by Player B, then Player C and finally Player D. Player B posts again, as does Player D, then Player C. A Player E posts (whose character is elsewhere in the RP) only to once again be followed by Player C. Poor Player A has not only six posts to respond to, but is somewhat trapped by those six posts, limiting what his post can actually contain, and what actions his character can take. Perhaps Players B through D should have waited for him? I reckon so.
Try also to keep your writing clear. The other players need to understand what happened in your post so they are able to respond accordingly. This point, I think, doesn't need any elaboration, so I will leave it at that.

If these principles are taken into account, you can be sure plot will move with a smooth continuity that will only serve to improve your roleplay, in both active participation, and passive observance perspectives.

Alright, I hope you enjoyed that snippet of knowledge. Please fell free to discuss it, and ask any questions you may have, in this thread. Questions should certainly be posted here, rather than approaching me in the chat. It just means that repeat questions won't be asked, and the answers not limited to just one person.

Application of the various points of this lesson seems to already be native to just about all of you, so I see no real worries. Just continue to have fun people, but keep such things in mind so we all can continue to have fun. ^_^

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vanus on Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:27 pm

Wow is really all I can say about that. I am Vanus in the chat room too by the way if you have seen me there. Anyway I came from Gaia where for the longest time I have tried to find a good interesting role play and perhaps start one myself. I have tried many times and have always felt what I wanted to see in a role play and how I want to form it, but I have never been able to put it down in words much less in a cohesive order. This guide has really put things into an order that I can understand and look forward to starting a character that I have had in mind since first signing up for this website a couple weeks ago.

Vanus
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RandomliHyper on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Hey, uh, can I join please?

RandomliHyper
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Omio on Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:50 am

Sorry about failing to post, trying to find a proper point for Gadrai to jump in...
That, and I'll have to type up a huge-ass storm - if it gets too long, you guys mind if I shrink the text? Helps for anyone wanting to skim, sorta... (Yes, I know there's a lazy RP-er out there somewhere...)

Omio
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azmodai2 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:36 pm

My bad about taking so long to post a reply, i got caught up in some other things, but i made one just now. its not as long as my other but then i didn't really feel the need for a long post, i think it is sufficient in moving my part of the story a long. And Omio I'm sure its fine to shrink the text although i doubt its necessary.

Azmodai2
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NewArthur on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:17 am

Hey i would like to join your roleplay, i would like to not post a character sheet and reveal my character as the rp goes along.
Police cordoned off Liverpool City Centre this morning when a
suspicious object was discovered in a car. It later turned
out to be a tax disc.

You can Razzle Dazzle my Fantazmagazzle!!!!

NewArthur
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Greeny on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:01 am

I'm completely new to this place, and even though it's not the truth,
please consider me as being totally new to the whole roleplaying
concept. Sometimes it's better to start at square one. Well I'm new
so I thought rather than starting directly in the whole rp board, I'd
do well to begin here...

So uh, okay? I can has help now?

Greeny
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:48 pm

NewArthur: No problems, as discussed in the chat, you are free to join.

Greeny: Firstly, welcome to Roleplay Gateway. Of course, you are entirely free to join up. But, I would say, rather than considering yourself as entirely new to roleplay just because you are new to the site would be pointless... Draw on the experience you have: It is how you learn.

As for what to do now... Just jump into the roleplay, taking into account the things mentioned in this here OOC thread. Introduce your character and what not... Mainly, just have a good time. I've admittedly been a little lax this week but IRL stuffs take precedence I'm afraid. However, help and advice will be starting as a regular thing via PM and what not from probably the middle of next week.

Of course, if you feel you need help at this stage... Something more specific might be appreciated; what do you need help with? Either hit me up in this thread, or send me a Private Message and I will be sure to get back to you.

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Greeny on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Uhhh.. Help?

I'm completely lost in the IC thread. All the posts are so big and scary, I have no
idea what's going on. I'm pretty stumped on where to begin.

Greeny
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Well, the important thing is to actually read the IC posts... That will tell you what is going on.

From there, after also reading all of this thread in regards to the information posted, just choose somewhere to jump into the RP. Introduce your character etc etc and just let it flow.

Again, really, if you're going to ask for help, I need some specifics. ^_^ I can't help you on help. :D

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dweebs on Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:14 am

Alright Salad man! I'm entering this Rp!!! It sounds like it'll give me the practice and challenge I need, most of all, it'll help me kill time. Oops, gotta fix this.

Name: Advrok...AKA rok
Race: Goblin
Home: Kabron (I like the sounds of it...Bron,,,)
Weapon: an axe
Special: He can suppress his aggressive side and can be human like(Mentally)
Appearance: A rather buff goblin with green skin and wears farm overalls.
History: His parents met and created him one day after they met at a bar...they love him though.
skills: Pick pocketing, farming, hunting, semi-good combat skills, mining, and farming.
Personality: Rather curious for a goblin. He does not like conflicts. He spend his times working on his parents' farm, learning while he's at it, The farm is usually not very successful due to rough weather. They managed to survive through hard work and support their village.
Interesting: In the village he lives in, goblins are not looked down upon, thanks to his family. He had a crush on Amy, a beautiful girl who lives near him, but he never show his presence to her because he thinks he's ugly and not worthy of talking to a magnificent creature like her.

Yo saladbar, what else should I add?

dweebs
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Roses Have Thorns on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:09 pm

I would like to join. Just need to read through the IC before I decide on a character... It's loooong, at least if you read it all at once.

Roses Have Thorns
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby rainyday_smile on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:11 pm

I'd love to join too, this sounds interesting and the way you've written everything up makes it so easy to read and absorb the information. I shall also read through the IC before I make a character and the introduction.
'Cause we are all a bunch a liars
Tell me baby, who do you wanna be?
And we are all about to sell it
'Cause it's tragic with a capital T

rainyday_smile
Member for 16 years

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!