Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Hi!

a topic in Welcome Desk: Introductions & Arrivals, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

First time on RPG? Make sure to introduce yourself here! Tell us what you're into, what you're looking for, and how you found us!

Hi!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zieke on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:55 am

Hello everyone!

So, I stumbled on to this site today and this looks like an awesome place to roleplay. I've been into roleplaying before and I found out that I love to create characters and send them into uncharted territory! So, allow me to introduce myself. :)

My name is Chris, I'm 17 years old and I live in Norway.
I sit alot on my computer, mostly playing games and listening to music.
I like the fantasy/medieval roleplays best, but I'm into any other kind as well, so please don't hesitate to ask me to join your RP. :)
So...I hope I'll be welcome here, and I hope to make some new friends and join some awesome roleplays!

See you later! :D
PS: Oh, and if you introduce yourself here, I'll give you a cyber-cookie! So say hi! :3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zieke
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Hi!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Script on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Hey there, Zieke!

We've already met in chat, but seeing as nobody has gotten around to replying here yet, I thought I'd jump in.

It's nice to meet you, for starters, and welcome to Roleplay Gateway! I'm Parabola, as you can see, and I'm one of the Global Moderator Leads on the site. It's us greenies' jobs to keep everyone happy community-wise, and as the name suggests, to moderate the forum and the chat.

That leads nicely onto a little explanation of the different staff teams on the site!

Aside from the moderators, you get...

• Mentors: These guys are the roleplay gurus of the site; they'll be able to run you through everything from basic grammar and spelling to advanced roleplay design and character crafting! They're also around to help with any none-roleplay issues you have, with site navigation and generally working your way around! They can be primarily found in the Role Play Academy, a section of the site centred specifically around upping your roleplay and writing abilities - many of the mentors have threads there to offer tutoring, or you can post your own thread requesting more specific help for certain questions!
  • Designers: These are the people responsible for keeping the site looking good, and for spearheading any layout or accessibility changes that the site goes through. They have a load of projects in the works at the moment, so look forward to seeing some flashy site changes!
  • Coders: Probably the rarest sight of our staff members, the coders are the people who are (as you may have guessed) responsible for the site's coding. It's sort of elementary, huh?
  • Administrators: The top of the RPG food chain, the admins are the senior-most staff members and responsible for every aspect of running the site and it's teams via the various team leaders like myself. Changes in policy and the doling out of bans are two of the more visible actions of the admins, and amongst them is Remaeus - IRL Eric Martindale, owner of the site!

The yellow names that you might see floating about are Contributors. These guys aren't staff members, but they're regular members who've given the site a monetary or otherwise significant donation.

Aside from exploring the site in general, there are a few pointers I can give you to get you started.

• RPG Chat: As you've clearly already found your way to the chat, I won't direct you there -- but I will take the time to point you towards The Hitchhiker's Guide to RPG Chat, written by our Design Lead and Moderator ViceVersus. That'll give you a comprehensive lowdown of how the chat works, and how it works within one of the more complex and unique aspects of our site, the Roleplay Tab.
  • The Roleplay Tab: Now, this is a big one. I'll do my best to summarise this, but the best way to get your head around the roleplay tab is to explore it yourself and experiment. You'll find that it comes easier than you'd expect! The roleplay tab is Gateway's unique system that allows people to organise their roleplay's characters, locations, OOC threads, reference threads and IC activity in one place. You can create or join a roleplay, and joining is quite simple -- simply go to the front page of it, click the 'Submit a Character to this Roleplay' button that you can see in the above chat guide, and fill out the form! In most roleplays, you'll then have to wait for the GM to approve you, but in roleplays like The Multiverse, there is no approval required. You can see whether a roleplay requires approval on its front page.

When you're creating a roleplay, things are a little more complex. You have to look at what places you want to add to your roleplay, that can represent locations, dates, or even specific scenes - activity posted to these places correctly will be viewable as separate to the rest of the roleplay, meaning you can easily narrow down posts to ones that are relevant to you. OOC threads are also kept track of - the tab automatically creates you a main OOC thread, but you can also add OOC threads via the OOC tab of your roleplay's page. You can approve characters either via the User Control Panel, or the characters tab of your roleplay.
  • Finding a Roleplay for You: On RPG, we have as well as a general OOC forum to browse, a Tag Search system that allows you to look for roleplays tagged specifically with your interests!
  • Rules and Stuff: It's always a good idea to check out The Rules before you get stuck in, though I'm sure that you'll not have any trouble with them!

That's all I can think of for the moment, but I'm sure one of the other mods or one of the mentors will swoop in and find something glaringly obvious that I've missed out :P

So, welcome again, Chris! Glad to have you. :)

P.S.: I'd like my cyber-cookies now.

Edit: Pink isn't yellow. <_<
Image Image

(03:04:15) Lialore says: I wanted to be the poo.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Script
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Cult Leader Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:19 pm

Welcome to Gateway! I would post some helpful links and information, but everything looks to have been covered! So, with that in mind, I'm just going to say welcome to the site and we're glad to have you around. I'm on the Mentors that were mentioned, so feel free to track me or a member of the team down and we'll do whatever we can to help.

See ya around!

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tristan_cross on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Welcome Chris! I'm Charlie AKA Tristan_cross, as you can tell I'm just a non-staffer lol, and I hope to see you around! I'm also in to Fantasy/Medieval RP's, so let me know if you're looking for one or thinking of starting one!

Tristan_cross
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Group Theory Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lodnir on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Hey Zieke, welcome to RPG!

As two of my colleagues, from information-dump Parabola to not-so-information-dump Jag, have already provided most of the basics of the site I won't increase your reading-load any further with any additional links. However if you have trouble understanding something or run into a situation which is not outlined, please feel free to PM me or another GM and we will help to clarify the situation as soon as possible.

Doing a quick read-up on your profile however it seems like you've actually been registered on the site for 2 years! Though I guess you haven't really been active until as of late. If you don't mind me asking what triggered your return, and what kind of other RP experiences have you had between now an then. Don't worry, if you answer "another cooler RP site with a totally sexier moderating staff" we won't hold it against you....Much.

Anyhow, welcome to the site Zieke, I'm sure you'll find it as enjoyable as so many others have.

Regards,
Lodnir

Lodnir
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zieke on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Your right, I did sign up around 2 years ago. As I said, I've been doing it for a long time. Last year I started high school and I suddenly became busy as hell. Less and less time for RP. What triggered my return was simply that I thought about it and realised that I missed doing it, so I'm planning on starting out again. :D I did roleplay on another anime roleplaying site, but everyone stopped being active, so it wasnt any fun anymore :)

I am currently looking for a RP to join, so if any of you have a slot to offer in your RP's, I would be happy to create a character and join! :)

Zieke
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!